Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

After doing some research it looks like the Marvel Subscription service is really not worth it. You save some money but you are mostly likely going to get damaged and late comics.

I subscribed when they came out with Ultimate fantastic four. There was some deal on SD for 2 subs for $10 or something. They arrived with a generic board that has your mailing info printed on it and it comes with a light cellophane wrapper over it. Most of them arrive in VF-. If you are concerned with condition, don't do a sub. Support a local comic shop instead.

So are all issues of the Marvel True Believers series going to be $1 or is it just the first issue of the series only?

Last edited by a moderator:
So are all issues of the Marvel True Believers series going to be $1 or is it just the first issue of the series only?
The books in the True Believers line were all #1 issues. Marvel released 2 per week throughout April as a means for people to check out the stories that would have a presence in Secret Wars so they'd hopefully buy the trades. The True Believers line is done, at least for now.

No problem. I wish they were releasing the whole runs of each series. But stuff like Age of Apocalypse (that Alpha issue being the only one from True Believers that I read when it originally released) was a 4 month long storyline spanning every X-Men book. Nonetheless, I bought all 8 issues and was glad to add them to my collection for $1 a piece.

Happy to see Injustice Season 4 is going. Injustice has been one of the biggest surprises for me. I thought it was going to be junk, but it has been pretty awesome.

I think it is funny how the Joss Whedon hate just keeps continuing to roll on. I'm kind of surprised so many people call him an awful misogynist with a hatred of women when he did Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Happy to see Injustice Season 4 is going. Injustice has been one of the biggest surprises for me. I thought it was going to be junk, but it has been pretty awesome.

I think it is funny how the Joss Whedon hate just keeps continuing to roll on. I'm kind of surprised so many people call him an awful misogynist with a hatred of women when he did Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I always thought Joss was "a feminist"? Are you sure it isn't Joss/feminism vs Marvel/the male actors in avengers? I haven't been following it, but it seems like that is what is going on.

I hate him because he ripped off Outlaw Star and made it live action (Firefly) and claims he never saw Outlaw Star.

I always thought Joss was "a feminist"? Are you sure it isn't Joss/feminism vs Marvel/the male actors in avengers? I haven't been following it, but it seems like that is what is going on.

I hate him because he ripped off Outlaw Star and made it live action (Firefly) and claims he never saw Outlaw Star.
http://www.vox.com/2015/5/11/8582081/avengers-age-of-ultron-joss-whedon

I completely forgot about that until you just brought it up.

He obviously just thought of that exact scene from Outlaw Star with the suitcase in a dream.

For as many people there are that know Joss is a self proclaimed feminist, there's just as many who think he's just a sexist asshole.

Anyways, I'm here to ask your collective thoughts on Thor's identity.

I've been hating on that guy for 15 years and I've never met anyone else that didn't absolutely love him. I'm torn now. I've always hated him, but I am sick of hearing that everything is somehow sexist. 

Someone I bought some stuff off of from Criaglist recommended Lazarus to me. Don't know how I missed it before since it is pretty awesome. Image comics just releases so many awesome comics. Walking Dead, Invinicble, Rat Queens, Saga, Revival, Southern Cross, East of West, NailBiter, Alex + Ada, Black Science, Wytches, etc.

The only thing I'm looking forward to with Secret Wars is X-men '92. That cartoon was amazing and I still think of that theme song as the X-men theme. They also still have the voices from that in my head.

I am looking forward to several things from Secret Wars. But as I've said here before, X-Men '92 tops that list. I have the theme song as a ringtone on my phone.

Someone I bought some stuff off of from Criaglist recommended Lazarus to me. Don't know how I missed it before since it is pretty awesome. Image comics just releases so many awesome comics. Walking Dead, Invinicble, Rat Queens, Saga, Revival, Southern Cross, East of West, NailBiter, Alex + Ada, Black Science, Wytches, etc.
Chew is not on the above list. If you're not familiar, check it out.

I've been hating on that guy for 15 years and I've never met anyone else that didn't absolutely love him. I'm torn now. I've always hated him, but I am sick of hearing that everything is somehow sexist.
Oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of his work, but I'm pretty sick of hearing that sexism against men is worse or that everyone's sexist or people being dismissive of it. Life is funny like that.

Going to drop God is Dead. It's starting to get too stupid for me, which is saying a lot.

I picked up:

Secret Wars #1

Secret Wars #2

Injustice God among Us Year Four #1

Hopefully Secret Wars is an easy read for someone who just started reading. I read some review where they said that it is not newcomer friendly. I am planning to add Age of Apocalypse and X-Men 92 on my hold list this summer.

I picked up:

Secret Wars #1
Secret Wars #2

Hopefully Secret Wars is an easy read for someone who just started reading. I read some review where they said that it is not newcomer friendly. I am planning to add Age of Apocalypse and X-Men 92 on my hold list this summer.
Ehhh... Hickman's Avengers run for the past three or so years help Secret Wars a lot.

Someone I bought some stuff off of from Criaglist recommended Lazarus to me. Don't know how I missed it before since it is pretty awesome. Image comics just releases so many awesome comics. Walking Dead, Invinicble, Rat Queens, Saga, Revival, Southern Cross, East of West, NailBiter, Alex + Ada, Black Science, Wytches, etc.

The only thing I'm looking forward to with Secret Wars is X-men '92. That cartoon was amazing and I still think of that theme song as the X-men theme. They also still have the voices from that in my head.
Lazarus is probably my favorite at this moment. Highly underrated.

I picked up:

Secret Wars #1
Secret Wars #2

Hopefully Secret Wars is an easy read for someone who just started reading. I read some review where they said that it is not newcomer friendly. I am planning to add Age of Apocalypse and X-Men 92 on my hold list this summer.
Once you hit #2 it's just plain fun and I don't know how much it really matters if you have read a lot of Hickman's Avengers run. Though it might be a wtf moment. It was for me and I have read everything. Took me a bit to figure it out.

Since I didn't post before, here's what I got this week:

• Birthright #7
• Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #8
• Convergence #6
• Convergence: Batman- Shadow of the Bat #2
• Convergence: Green Lantern/Parallax #2
• Convergence: Superboy #2
• Darth Vader #5
• Howard the Duck #3
• Secret Wars #2
• Uncanny Avengers #4

I finally got the chance to read Scott Snyder's Court of Owls and City of Owls, and wow is he a talented writer. I am planning to pick up the graphic novel of Superman Unchained just because he is the writer of that too.

Predator goes to Riverdale! Convergence! Secret Wars! Other stuff! Here's what I got yesterday:

• A-Force #1
• Archie vs. Predator #2
• Convergence #7
• Convergence: Adventures of Superman #2
• Deathlok #8
• Planet Hulk #1
• Secret Wars Battleworld #1
• Star Wars #5
• Ultimate End #1

How is Archie vs Predator? It looked sort of amusing.
Issue one started out slow, but issue two...holy fuck. The body count and gore go ridiculous as in I was not prepared to see Archie characters get blown up or heads torn off and such. So far it's exactly what I wanted in an Archie meets Predator crossover.

luloe.jpg

Reading through the Dylan Dog case files. I don't understand how they could make a Brandon Routh movie out of that. I'd have hired Matt Ryan instead.

Are people still angry over Michael B. Jordan playing the Human Torch 'cause authenticity? http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/22/michael-b-jordan-fantastic-four-race Because Marvel Comics is full of superheroes born and bred in New York City, and I'm pretty sure most of the actors aren't real denizens of the LES.

I know I haven't posted in here in a while, but man, Secret Wars is great. Seeing the Ultimate Universe end is making me really sad, so I'm going back and reading all of the Ultimate X-books again from the beginning to end for like the third time since last year.

I know I haven't posted in here in a while, but man, Secret Wars is great. Seeing the Ultimate Universe end is making me really sad, so I'm going back and reading all of the Ultimate X-books again from the beginning to end for like the third time since last year.
Curious, but are you picking up any of the tie ins? Was curious about World War Hulk and Old Man Logan, but none of the original writers working on it has me hesitant.

Curious, but are you picking up any of the tie ins? Was curious about World War Hulk and Old Man Logan, but none of the original writers working on it has me hesitant.
All of them, actually! Old Man Logan is actually pretty great. Not as good as Millar's original, but it's still really, really nice to see more of that world. Tonally, it's very much the same as the original which is nice because that is what I thought a lot of these books would get wrong.

All of them, actually! Old Man Logan is actually pretty great. Not as good as Millar's original, but it's still really, really nice to see more of that world. Tonally, it's very much the same as the original which is nice because that is what I thought a lot of these books would get wrong.
I'm hesitant because it's Bendis and fuuuuuck I hate when Bendis has to write ensamble books.

And off topic'ish but goddamn Invincible is still so damn good. Kirkman loves taking his time setting up chess pieces.

I'm hesitant because it's Bendis and fuuuuuck I hate when Bendis has to write ensamble books.

And off topic'ish but goddamn Invincible is still so damn good. Kirkman loves taking his time setting up chess pieces.
Straight up, I didn't realize it was a Bendis book until you said something. This reads like his Daredevil stuff.

Just got this stuff last night due to having been sick, so I haven't read anything yet. All Secret Wars and Convergence except for the S.H.I.E.L.D finale:

• Convergence #8
• Convergence: Action Comics #2
• Convergence: Booster Gold #2
• Inferno #1
• Infinity Gauntlet #1
• Inhumans: Attillan Rising #1
• MODOK Assassin #1
• Old Man Logan #1
• Secret Wars 2099 #1
• S.H.I.E.L.D #6

I picked up:

Infinity Gauntlet #1

Inhumans Attilan Rising #1

Injustice Gods Among Us Year Four #2

Marvel Previews Secret Wars

S.H.I.E.L.D. #6

The previews of Thors and Civil Wars were interesting. There was also a preview of X-Men 92. The artwork look exactly like the animated show. Not sure how I feel about the story yet. I will probably also drop Injustice from my pull list soon. Didn't read the previous story arc and I have no clue what the hell is going on.

I forgot to mention this a few weeks back, but I was a bit disappointed with Negan's freedom. It was getting mentioned in the letters section and getting pretty played up, and then he just sat there and waited to get locked up again. Obviously something will happen at some point, but I wanted it now lol.

I wonder if they will ever replace Rick in the comics. He was bad-ass, then bad-ass with one hand, and now he is bad-ass with one hand and a cane. Killing off Rick would shake up the comic like crazy (obviously). It may be too much for the comic, but they got pretty close with Invinicible by killing of 70% of the supporting characters in like 1 issue.

I forgot to mention this a few weeks back, but I was a bit disappointed with Negan's freedom. It was getting mentioned in the letters section and getting pretty played up, and then he just sat there and waited to get locked up again. Obviously something will happen at some point, but I wanted it now lol.
Me too!

Although, I'm thinking he must have done something, right? I can't quite figure it out though...

Didn't realize Danger Club had TWO different endings and eitherway that comic started out promising, but after it's ridiculously long hiatus that comic was rushing to end. Disappointed to say the least...

Also Tim Drake as Batman Beyond just feels like DC has no idea what to do with Tim Drake.

I know next to nothing about Power Girl other than her cleavage. Does anyone recommend anything particular with her in it? (sorry for off-topic, just got back from convention in D.C. and cosplay was pretty huge)

Didn't realize Danger Club had TWO different endings and eitherway that comic started out promising, but after it's ridiculously long hiatus that comic was rushing to end. Disappointed to say the least...

Also Tim Drake as Batman Beyond just feels like DC has no idea what to do with Tim Drake.
Was the new Batman Beyond at least good? I was thinking about picking it up.

I know next to nothing about Power Girl other than her cleavage. Does anyone recommend anything particular with her in it? (sorry for off-topic, just got back from convention in D.C. and cosplay was pretty huge)
Pick up the Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti run. It's 12 issues if I remember right and alot of fun in both art and story.

Was the new Batman Beyond at least good? I was thinking about picking it up.
If you enjoyed Future's End and I guess the last Batman Beyond series you'll probably enjoy it since it's all a direct continuation. Though personally it isn't for me since I read Future's End via friend's and it just isn't for me. So as long as you meet those two requirements you'll be fine and Dan Jurgens as history has shown isn't a bad writer, but I'm still too used to McGuiness being the only one in the suit and weekly comics are a drag to me.

bread's done
Back