Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='GhostShark']Its a great cover, Mystique looks like a man, lol. But, hey, any cover with Domino is win for me.[/QUOTE]

lulz she does look like a dude.

Wolverine is such a lady's man. Make since that his son is the opposite and total flamer. :p

[quote name='ppself']lulz she does look like a dude.

Wolverine is such a lady's man. Make since that his son is the opposite and total flamer. :p[/QUOTE]

Nah, Daken tries to hits on anything that moves, dudes and chicks.

[quote name='neocisco']Rodimus, you should track down Wolverine: Weapon X 10. It's a standalone issue and is a great read. The cover (and it's a good one) gives a good indication of the story's subject.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation. I remember seeing this issue advertised in other Marvel comics. Next time I'm in my comic book store I'll see if I can't find a copy.

Anyone else hate Songbirds new haircut?

Dumb pointless story: After getting off work I was walking up to my apartment and noticed something in the trash bin next to the elevator. It was an issue of Daredevil #507. Is it really that bad? Never been a Daredevil fan. I was thinking about taking it but it kinda stank.

507 wasn't a bad issue. It was just a weird and quick way to end a pretty damn good Daredevil Arc. They just wanted to rush towards Shadowland.

I also hate Songbird's haircut. She went all dyke on us. :(

so do you think they will do something with night thrashers cloned body in future comics or do you think its gonna be one of those things they leave by the wayside storywise?

im really surprised at the push luke cage is getting but hes a cool character and its good to see him getting respect. hulk was cool i cant wait to see how that plays out although depending on when the new prince of power mini series in the overall marvel timeline i guess its easy to figure out.

Comic of the week goes to *drumroll* The Walking Dead #73!

New Avengers #1 was good and so was The Amazing Spider-Man #634. Both Buffy books this week were good as well. I will post my reviews of them a little bit later on.

I picked up Nemesis issue #1 & #2. After reading both it's essentially an attempt at a lame movie pitch. I'm usually a Millar fan so I was shocked when I found Nemesis to be rather boring. It's got that abrupt Millar shock factor but there's no explanation to any of the crazy shit going on. The writing's not clever but crude. But hey, that might be your kinda thing.

I also kept thinking "Is this really a good interpretation of an Evil Batman?" The answer is "no." The character is a little to chatty and brazen for that.

Mcniven's art is okay, but it's been better. Nemesis' total white color is odd. It's like they forgot to color him. I don't hate it, but the character really stands out. Maybe that was the goal, for him to steal every panel of the comic.

So I quit the Wednesday rush about a month ago and now I'm a trade waiter. Any suggestions? I was going to catch up on Dark Avengers since I missed it.

Dark Avengers is good, but I preferred New and Mighty Avengers over it. They are all so similar though.

It really depends on what you like if you're a TBP buyer.

I was also thinking of picking up the invincible iron man hardcover with the first 19 issues,Deadpool suicide kings and possibly the losers book 1.

[quote name='Rodimus']I picked up Nemesis issue #1 & #2. After reading both it's essentially an attempt at a lame movie pitch. I'm usually a Millar fan so I was shocked when I found Nemesis to be rather boring. It's got that abrupt Millar shock factor but there's no explanation to any of the crazy shit going on. The writing's not clever but crude. But hey, that might be your kinda thing.

I also kept thinking "Is this really a good interpretation of an Evil Batman?" The answer is "no." The character is a little to chatty and brazen for that.

Mcniven's art is okay, but it's been better. Nemesis' total white color is odd. It's like they forgot to color him. I don't hate it, but the character really stands out. Maybe that was the goal, for him to steal every panel of the comic.[/QUOTE]

I saw a ad for that comic whiles back and saw that it was Miller writing. I was interested at that point but was unsure of the verdict. The art wasn't appealing to me, or maybe it was the style of the character i wasn't liking on the cover art i saw.

[quote name='GhostShark']Dark Avengers is good, but I preferred New and Mighty Avengers over it. They are all so similar though.

It really depends on what you like if you're a TBP buyer.[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly Dark Avengers was really good for what it was. Siege would be a good follow-up to that, and it wasn't that bad.

Anybody get Wade wilsons war last week? I thought it was Deadpool as usual, but curious where they are taking it. I am getting tired of all the Deadpool comics though. They need to consolidate, get rid of the Corps, and the zombieverse one.

[quote name='budsmoka']I was also thinking of picking up the invincible iron man hardcover with the first 19 issues,Deadpool suicide kings and possibly the losers book 1.[/QUOTE]

The Invincible Iron Man Hardcover is a must-buy. Can't go wrong with The Losers either.

the crossed is a pretty decent comic too and i agree the new walking dead was awesome ended way too soon for me. some of these new avengers series are pretty good. nemesis is shit now. the first issue was pretty cool and an interesting premise but the second issue was a joke. at least the series with deadpool in the zombie universe will be over soon now if theyd cut down on his cameos he wouldt be so annoying to see in comics.

Mark Miller is over rated imo. Kick Ass was one of the most depressing reads of all time. The whole story consisted of nothing but foul language and over the top violence. Basically just shock value to make up for poor writing.

I like a lot Millar's stuff. I haven't read Nemesis yet so I can't say on that, but his work on Ultimates I and II is amazing. Kick-Ass was pretty good for what it was. I also liked his work on Ultimate X-Men and Fantastic Four.

[quote name='GhostShark']I like a lot Millar's stuff. I haven't read Nemesis yet so I can't say on that, but his work on Ultimates I and II is amazing. Kick-Ass was pretty good for what it was. I also liked his work on Ultimate X-Men and Fantastic Four.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Old Man Logan. Which i thought was really great read.

I really need to read Old Man Logan. People keep telling me how awesome that is and I still have yet to read it. I should get to that pretty soon.

I think I'm going to buy Iron man in hard covers when they get released. Where would be the best place for me to start reading Green Lantern? Rebirth? SCW?

[quote name='budsmoka']I think I'm going to buy Iron man in hard covers when they get released. Where would be the best place for me to start reading Green Lantern? Rebirth? SCW?[/QUOTE]
Get rebirth, the two sinestro corps war trades, and then blackest night. You might also want to read infinite crisis in between rebirth and sinestro, because it ends up being a sequel in a weird way.
And which Iron Man are you talking about? The latest series just releases the first nineteen issues in a hardcover for $26 on amazon.

[quote name='GhostShark']I really need to read Old Man Logan. People keep telling me how awesome that is and I still have yet to read it. I should get to that pretty soon.[/QUOTE]

It's a cool story. Think of Wolverine as Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's a cool story. Think of Wolverine as Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven.[/QUOTE]

We are talking about the recent run with Hawkeye right?

Who went to the con this weekend?

:edit: SuperCon in Miami, Florida.

[quote name='HuBu']We are talking about the recent run with Hawkeye right?

Who went to the con this weekend?

:edit: SuperCon in Miami, Florida.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Some parts reminded me of Unforgiven. I remember thinking in the early issues, "What could the villains do to Wolverine to make him such a pussy?" Then when he did his flashback and I was like "......yeah, that's f*cked up. Even for comic book villains"

Was SuperCon last weekend? For some reason I thought it was in July. Regardless I felt like I had to stay home anyways. I have a very pregnant wife. Did you go? How was it?

[quote name='sotc1988']Get rebirth, the two sinestro corps war trades, and then blackest night. You might also want to read infinite crisis in between rebirth and sinestro, because it ends up being a sequel in a weird way.
And which Iron Man are you talking about? The latest series just releases the first nineteen issues in a hardcover for $26 on amazon.[/QUOTE]

I read Blackest night shit was awesome, gonna get the mini and the GL in had cover and then the tie ins in trades. I'll get rebirth soon I think my first purchase will just be the iron man hard cover. When it gets released I'll buy the latter volumes in hard cover.

So vampires are going to ruin the Heroic Age?!?!?! It just started how can they already end it. :p

New Avengers was good though.

All the new avengers series (Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers), Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne, get all the Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison. Can't go wrong with Second Coming when that comes out in HC or TBP form. American Vampire, DV8. Just too many good books out these days to go through.

Yeah, Messiah War is pretty much a prequel to Second Coming. As well as Necrosha X. I never read Necrosha X though. Messiah Complex is pretty good too. Started all this X-Men stuff. A must buy if you haven't read it yet.

Messiah War was pretty good.

Second Coming isn't as good. I might still get the paperback since i am only getting the story out of the uncanny and xmen titles.

I think the first part of Xforce reboot was pretty good. Where Wolverine and Xforce had to go to the future to retrieve cable, but stryfe ruled the land. Thought it was somewhat funny that Deadpool was still around in the future.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah. Some parts reminded me of Unforgiven. I remember thinking in the early issues, "What could the villains do to Wolverine to make him such a pussy?" Then when he did his flashback and I was like "......yeah, that's f*cked up. Even for comic book villains"

Was SuperCon last weekend? For some reason I thought it was in July. Regardless I felt like I had to stay home anyways. I have a very pregnant wife. Did you go? How was it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was great. I got a bunch of stuff signed there. Koi Pham, Mann, Gulacy, Sandova, and Olivetti (sp).

It was great seeing some of the artists and my brother-in-law surprised the heck out of Cabrera with some of his old comics. "Man this is a blast from the past."

Mann was somewhat of a prick. Others were very nice.

Yeh man, pregnant wife comes first.

Do you recommend "A & M Comics & Books" and "Mac's Comics"? The one closest to me, "Earth 2 Comics" closed down or moved somewhere. I drove by the place and it looked empty.

[quote name='ppself']Messiah War was pretty good.

Second Coming isn't as good. I might still get the paperback since i am only getting the story out of the uncanny and xmen titles.

I think the first part of Xforce reboot was pretty good. Where Wolverine and Xforce had to go to the future to retrieve cable, but stryfe ruled the land. Thought it was somewhat funny that Deadpool was still around in the future.[/QUOTE]

Deadpool is like a roach. If he can survive cancer, he'll survive anything.

I started reading "X-men Deadly Genesis" and its great. I need to find the rest. Only found #2-#3 @ the convention.

Marvel Studios has hired writers for a Dr. Strange film. That is all kinds of awesome. This could be the first movie coming starting production after the Disney buyout. See Superherohype for the details.

[quote name='GhostShark']Marvel Studios has hired writers for a Dr. Strange film. That is all kinds of awesome. This could be the first movie coming starting production after the Disney buyout. See Superherohype for the details.[/QUOTE]

Harry Potter is going to have has ass handed to him.

[quote name='HuBu']Yeah it was great. I got a bunch of stuff signed there. Koi Pham, Mann, Gulacy, Sandova, and Olivetti (sp).

It was great seeing some of the artists and my brother-in-law surprised the heck out of Cabrera with some of his old comics. "Man this is a blast from the past."

Mann was somewhat of a prick. Others were very nice.

Yeh man, pregnant wife comes first.

Do you recommend "A & M Comics & Books" and "Mac's Comics"? The one closest to me, "Earth 2 Comics" closed down or moved somewhere. I drove by the place and it looked empty.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'm glad you had a good time. If I went I wanted Pham to sign some Mighty Avengers, before the series sucked.

Both those places are in Miami so I've never been. I live in Broward (work in Miami.) I go to this little place on Pines Blvd and sometimes Tates.

After reading Ultimate Avengers 2 #3 I really think its time for me to just be done with the Ultimate Marvel universe and accept that they really did end it with Ultimatum. Its been completely downhill ever since then. The one bright spot since Ultimatum they had was the Ultimate U take on Cap vs. Red Skull but now that it's over there's really no point in going back. Then as soon as they get done with that awesome story in New Ultimates #2 they do the one thing you just don't do
destroyed Cap's shield. I understand killing people off but there's just something sacred about that shield. You don't fuck with it. Ultimate Universe or not... Not only that but it wasn't even really that spectacular in the way it was destroyed.
Ugh, I'm still irked by that.

Its really kind of sad though because Ultimate X-men is the book that got me back into comics about 8 years ago. I slowly started getting into more and more comics since then but Ultimate X-men, no matter how lame it could get at times, was one of those books I had to keep reading.

The Ultimates & Ultimate Spidey helped me get back into comics too. Ultimate Spidey is still a good read despite the shitty art. Ultimate Avengers is all over the place. I still don't understand the concept of "The New Ultimates." It's all very confusing. But Cho's art is sexy. The Ultimate universe should go the way of Marvel's MC2. Keep the imprint alive with Spidey but kill the rest.

walking dead brought me back. i kept hearing about it and being a fan of zombie stuff i read a few and was hooked. i enjoy the 28 days series out now too.

Ultimate Avengers is real nice. I like it. Both series so far. New Ultimates is crap. Jeph Loeb is very bad on that book.

Amazon was sold out of rebirth buy I took a look at barnes and nobel today and picked it up. They didn't have anything else I was looking for so I'll still get it all from amazon. Funny how the universe works like that sometimes.

[quote name='Rodimus']The Ultimates & Ultimate Spidey helped me get back into comics too. Ultimate Spidey is still a good read despite the shitty art. Ultimate Avengers is all over the place. I still don't understand the concept of "The New Ultimates." It's all very confusing. But Cho's art is sexy. The Ultimate universe should go the way of Marvel's MC2. Keep the imprint alive with Spidey but kill the rest.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why they call it New Avengers either, since it's basically a continuation from Ultimate's characters and storyline.

I personally am not digging it right now though, they better spice it up with something that makes sense.

The Ultimate Avengers 2 is holding up though. I just saw that they are releasing another issue this week. Are they sending them things out every 2 weeks or something? I'm not complaining though.

[quote name='ppself']The Ultimate Avengers 2 is holding up though. I just saw that they are releasing another issue this week. Are they sending them things out every 2 weeks or something? I'm not complaining though.[/QUOTE]

I also noticed that they're pumping out the Ultimate Avenger titles very fast. It's very un-Millar like.

Anyone else reading the Thanos Imperative? Issue #1 was solid and a great start. Lots of things going on but Abnett & Lanning do a superb job show all the different angles. Also it's nice to see Thanos back in his old threads again. The only bad thing I can say about it is the art, it's a bit muddled. It's not bad but I think it would be a lot more epic with someone else.

bread's done
Back