Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='GhostShark']Jeph Loe is terrible. What he's done to the Ultimates should get him barred from ever making another comic. Ever.
[/QUOTE]
To be fair...He's made ALOT of bad comics before Ultimates.

[quote name='neocisco']The art in Avengers 1 is great.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I've grown to like JRJ's pencils. I wasn't always a fan. I thought his stuff looked too old-school. Now that's why I like it. I hope he sticks with this title for a while.

Plus, he's a penciler that actually has a work ethic so the book shouldn't be late, at least not on his behalf. I've been a fan of JRJR for a very long time now. His ability to turn his work in on time just makes him all the more appealing.

[quote name='Rodimus']Good to know. I've grown to like JRJ's pencils. I wasn't always a fan. I thought his stuff looked too old-school. Now that's why I like it. I hope he sticks with this title for a while.[/QUOTE]

You talking about Joe Romita Jr.? Cause i didn't know he was doing the series. I saw he had done the cover but that was all i thought he was doing.

If he is doing the inside art too, then that is full of win.

Is the Avengers lineup gong to change now? Cause it was being led by Pym after Secret Invasion and was getting lame big time.

[quote name='ppself']

Is the Avengers lineup gong to change now? Cause it was being led by Pym after Secret Invasion and was getting lame big time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Pym's team is gone, there's a bunch of Avengers teams coming up. Spoilers in case people haven't seen the covers/promo images

Secret Avengers -
Steve Rogers (no longer Captain America)
Beast
Moon Knight
Valkyrie
War Machine
Nova

New Avengers
Luke Cage
Ms. Marvel
The Thing
Wolverine
Jessica Jones
Spider-Man

Avengers
Thor
Ironman
Hawkeye
Captain America
Spider-Woman

Also a Hawkeye/Mockingbird ongoing, Avengers Academy (featuring Reptil from Superhero Squad) and Avengers Prime about Thor/Rogers/Stark reuniting.

[quote name='ppself']You talking about Joe Romita Jr.? Cause i didn't know he was doing the series. I saw he had done the cover but that was all i thought he was doing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's doing the pencils.

Did they cancel Nova's comic now that he's a Secret Avenger?

[quote name='GhostShark']Armor?

She's awesome and hilarious.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info i thought it was jubilee at first but remembered she lost her powers. btw how many reanimated xmen survived what selene was trying to do. if i remember correctly someone mentioned that some of them didnt show up to be used. im kinda hoping synch is one them if there are any at all.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, he's doing the pencils.

Did they cancel Nova's comic now that he's a Secret Avenger?[/QUOTE]

i hope they dont cancel it nova is a damn good comic and its cool that darkhawk is a part of the mix now.

[quote name='lokizz']thanks for the info i thought it was jubilee at first but remembered she lost her powers. btw how many reanimated xmen survived what selene was trying to do. if i remember correctly someone mentioned that some of them didnt show up to be used. im kinda hoping synch is one them if there are any at all.[/QUOTE]

The only reanimated Xmen that survived and fled at the end with some other peeps was blink. I think that is what happened.

I wonder what they are going to do with X Force now, since they broke it up. Maybe they will give it back to Cable, but keep the violent setting it had. It could be interesting to see CAble and team getting gritty.

[quote name='lokizz']i hope they dont cancel it nova is a damn good comic and its cool that darkhawk is a part of the mix now.[/QUOTE]

Me too, unfortunately I haven't seen or heard of anything new past the last issue which I think was #36. But it seems like all the cosmic titles are taking a hiatus while the Thanos Imperative is going on. Hopefully Nova & GotG come back afterward.

[quote name='Rodimus']Me too, unfortunately I haven't seen or heard of anything new past the last issue which I think was #36. But it seems like all the cosmic titles are taking a hiatus while the Thanos Imperative is going on. Hopefully Nova & GotG come back afterward.[/QUOTE]

I AM GROOT!*

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as GotG comes back after the Thanos Imperative I have no problem with the title taking a break for a few months. I'm sure they'll be featured in the mini-series anyways so it's not like we wont get our Rocket Raccoon or Groot fix.

As for Nova it'll be interesting to see him back on Earth for a while now that he's a complete badass. And since Deodato is one of my favorite artists Secret Avengers will be a must have title for me.

Avengers 1 is a great start for the series. Clint Barton's costume dilemma is handled nicely and is quite succinct. The issue sets the ground for a potentially great storyline. I definitely recommend trying it out this Wednesday.

what im confused about was that at the end of siege wasnt steve rogers like the dude in charge now ie nick furys old job so as afformention above y is he a secret avenger now?

[quote name='The Chop Suey']what im confused about was that at the end of siege wasnt steve rogers like the dude in charge now ie nick furys old job so as afformention above y is he a secret avenger now?[/QUOTE]

i think the whole secret avenger thing means theyre still avengers but to the rest of the world theyre seen as not part of the group......i guess. im ready for the to hurry up and finish this hulk war series and more moon knight. damn i hope he will be in the new mvc game.

Just read Siege #4. I can understand the hate but I thought it was just okay. I didn't hate it. If not for all the spoilers Marvel has been giving us Siege would have ended better. The issue felt rushed as if saying "we're done with this, now buy Avengers #1 for $3.99." The art was also a little off on a few pages. It's a shame since I loved just about every panel on Coipel's run in Thor.

Still, I don't understand how
Thor killed the Sentry. Didn't he die a few times already? How is a lighting bolt any better than what Molecule Man or Morrigan Le Fay did to him? It's just Marvel's way of ending things neatly I guess.

Also read the New Avengers Finale one shot which I hated. It sucks that they had to end the series on the stupid Hood. He's become more of a joke than the Kingpin. The art was also garbage. I'm really starting to dislike Hitch's art. His stuff in the last few years hasn't been good. Even his covers look like ass.

[quote name='Rodimus']Just read Siege #4. I can understand the hate but I thought it was just okay. I didn't hate it. If not for all the spoilers Marvel has been giving us Siege would have ended better. The issue felt rushed as if saying "we're done with this, now buy Avengers #1 for $3.99." The art was also a little off on a few pages. It's a shame since I loved just about every panel on Coipel's run in Thor.

Still, I don't understand how
Thor killed the Sentry. Didn't he die a few times already? How is a lighting bolt any better than what Molecule Man or Morrigan Le Fay did to him? It's just Marvel's way of ending things neatly I guess.

Also read the New Avengers Finale one shot which I hated. It sucks that they had to end the series on the stupid Hood. He's become more of a joke than the Kingpin. The art was also garbage. I'm really starting to dislike Hitch's art. His stuff in the last few years hasn't been good. Even his covers look like ass.[/QUOTE]

I liked the NA last issue, but it was weird to read since i don't to much about the villains in the comic. I was like, "these are some lame villains" the whole time. :p

And wtf happened to Hitch's art, dang it took a turn for the worse. That was the main reason why i bought the issue, was for his art.

I hope Incredible Hulk picks up soon though. I have enjoyed seeing Banner as the smart Banner lately but i wanna see some Hulk smash from him.

Hopefully WWH will end Rulk's run.

i dont think
sentry is really dead
not just because
of what his robot said when some of the heroes had a kind of memorial for him but because i think thor was only able to weaken him enough so he could be tossed into the sun and when you consider hes supposedly got the power of a million suns how would being in one sun kill him?

i like how the smarter heroes and villans in the marvel universe are getting their time to shine its diff from the usual the strongest is the best. definelty liking the doom war mini series because its good to see diff villans and heros mix it up. pym is one of my new favorite characters hes a cocky bastard but he can back it up. cho is pretty cool too his new mini series is fun.

[quote name='manthing']You found the Hood was the most offensive thing about the NA Finale?

What about Count Nefaria being defeated in 2 seconds?[/QUOTE]

Actually I thought the art was the most offensive thing about the book. But it's funny you mention Count Nefaria because when they first showed him I thought it was Dr. Strange. I totally didn't remember the character until Cap said something about him being the reason why the Avengers got back together.

[quote name='Rodimus']Actually I thought the art was the most offensive thing about the book. But it's funny you mention Count Nefaria because when they first showed him I thought it was Dr. Strange. I totally didn't remember the character until Cap said something about him being the reason why the Avengers got back together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I first saw the Count, I thought it was Dr. Strange too.

This week was a really good week. My highlights were:

Avengers #1: I really like the team set-up and I also really love the art. Good choice for leader of the team. Also
OMG Hulk

The Walking Dead #72: Kirkman never ceases to amaze me. Another month another spectacular issue. I think the leader of this housing are is just a sex addict. :hot:

American Vampire #3: This has all the makings of the best vampire story to date. Both stories by Snyder and King this month were amazing. The chicks are quite sexy in this book also.

X-Men Legacy #236: I was wondering when the Avengers were going to show up in Second Coming. This event is simply just too large for the Avengers to just ignore.

Those were *my* main highlights, but I also enjoyed DV8 Gods and Monsters #2, Joe the Barbarian #5 (anything Grant Morrison does is amazing, even his writer created stuff), Invincible Iron Man #26, and Ultimate Avengers 2 #2 (Big Black Hulk?!?!?!).

[quote name='GhostShark']This week was a really good week. My highlights were:

Avengers #1: I really like the team set-up and I also really love the art. Good choice for leader of the team. Also
OMG Hulk

The Walking Dead #72: Kirkman never ceases to amaze me. Another month another spectacular issue. I think the leader of this housing are is just a sex addict. :hot:

American Vampire #3: This has all the makings of the best vampire story to date. Both stories by Snyder and King this month were amazing. The chicks are quite sexy in this book also.

X-Men Legacy #236: I was wondering when the Avengers were going to show up in Second Coming. This event is simply just too large for the Avengers to just ignore.

Those were *my* main highlights, but I also enjoyed DV8 Gods and Monsters #2, Joe the Barbarian #5 (anything Grant Morrison does is amazing, even his writer created stuff), Invincible Iron Man #26, and Ultimate Avengers 2 #2 (Big Black Hulk?!?!?!).[/QUOTE]

Ugh, big black hulk? Is it suppose to be Luck Cage version of the ultimate universe? Or literally a black hulk version that is hopefully weaker than Banner hulk?

The Big Black Hulk is the original Hulk. Bruce Banner's mentor. It was a pretty good issue. Only cause Millar is writing it though.

Edit: And yes there is an Ultimate Luke Cage already. He is in the Defenders. Hank Pym's group of misfits that debuted in Ultimates 2.

[quote name='GhostShark']The Big Black Hulk is the original Hulk. Bruce Banner's mentor. It was a pretty good issue. Only cause Millar is writing it though.

Edit: And yes there is an Ultimate Luke Cage already. He is in the Defenders. Hank Pym's group of misfits that debuted in Ultimates 2.[/QUOTE]

I guess there is a power man already, i just forgot about it. Very forgettable.

Oh well. Since there is 5 different Hulks in the 616 universe, it only makes since to make 5 different Hulks in the Ultimate universe. Well, minus one Hulk since Banner has gone off the fraking grid since Ultimates2.

The issue wasn't bad though. Can't wait for the next one now.

[quote name='GhostShark']This week was a really good week. My highlights were:

OMG Hulk

Those were *my* main highlights, but I also enjoyed DV8 Gods and Monsters #2, Joe the Barbarian #5 (anything Grant Morrison does is amazing, even his writer created stuff), Invincible Iron Man #26, and Ultimate Avengers 2 #2 (Big Black Hulk?!?!?!).[/QUOTE]

american vampire and walking dead are the 2 comic series i always get excited to see. i like that new the light series to been a good year or horror comics ( franken punisher excluded).

It's understandable. The Ultimate Universe is a freakin' mess. There's also 2 diffrent Silver Surfers, and remember Doom's orginal look with the goat legs? Some how they're not around anymore.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's understandable. The Ultimate Universe is a freakin' mess. There's also 2 diffrent Silver Surfers, and remember Doom's orginal look with the goat legs? Some how they're not around anymore.[/QUOTE]
He lost his legs? How does he get around to cause ruckus for the FF?

[quote name='Rodimus']It's understandable. The Ultimate Universe is a freakin' mess. There's also 2 diffrent Silver Surfers, and remember Doom's orginal look with the goat legs? Some how they're not around anymore.[/QUOTE]

Yea i totally forgot about the legs. I think it was when Greg Land was drawing the series that they reverted back to regular legs. But no explanation was given of course. Nor did they explain how Doom escaped the zombie verse.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore since Thing
killed Doom in Ultimatum.

So this week I will be picking up Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #2, Mystery Society #1, Dazzler One-Shot, Secret Avengers #1, Thunderbolts #144, Ultimate Comics Enemy #4, X-Force #27 and I may or may not pickup the prologue to the Thanos Imperative, the new Thor and the Emma Frost origins.

I don't know why, but I picked up a copy of The Sentry: Fallen Sun. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment because going into this I knew it was going to be bad. Biggest shocker for me:
The Sentry took Rouge's virginity? When the fuck did that happen? Did golden boy Bob cheat on his wife?

[quote name='ppself']Yea i totally forgot about the legs. I think it was when Greg Land was drawing the series that they reverted back to regular legs. But no explanation was given of course. Nor did they explain how Doom escaped the zombie verse.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore since Thing
killed Doom in Ultimatum.
[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, did they ever explain how Doom got back from the zombie universe?

I'm reading some of the new issues of the reboot of Ultimate Spider-Man. It makes me wonder if they're trying to do an Ultimate version of "Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends" with all the people he's living with. Strange that Marvel changed Rick Jones into Nova in the Ultimate universe.

BTW, I've been reading JLA and skipped Blackest Night(waiting for the tradeback versions). When did they reform the group with a lot of former Teen Titans? Kinda weird they had one group in the March issue, then a completely new group in the April issue.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Come to think of it, did they ever explain how Doom got back from the zombie universe?

I'm reading some of the new issues of the reboot of Ultimate Spider-Man. It makes me wonder if they're trying to do an Ultimate version of "Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends" with all the people he's living with. Strange that Marvel changed Rick Jones into Nova in the Ultimate universe.

BTW, I've been reading JLA and skipped Blackest Night(waiting for the tradeback versions). When did they reform the group with a lot of former Teen Titans? Kinda weird they had one group in the March issue, then a completely new group in the April issue.[/QUOTE]

huh i cant believe i didnt notice that but youre right it basically is spidey and his amazing friends just johnny storm in for firestorm.

^^ They also had something similar several story arcs back when Liz Allen became Firestorm. I remember something about The Blob being her father.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Come to think of it, did they ever explain how Doom got back from the zombie universe?

BTW, I've been reading JLA and skipped Blackest Night(waiting for the tradeback versions). When did they reform the group with a lot of former Teen Titans? Kinda weird they had one group in the March issue, then a completely new group in the April issue.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

They never explained how Doom got back to his regular universe.

[quote name='Rodimus']^^ They also had something similar several story arcs back when Liz Allen became Firestorm. I remember something about The Blob being her father.[/QUOTE]

and on the topic of the blob wtf was with him in ultimatum? i was reading that earlier and
why the fuck was he eating the wasp? at first i thought maybe some kind of zombie version of him was loose or something but probably not
but that was very disturbing shit.hell that whole ultimatum , though very cool , had alot of disturbing scenes in it. also couldnt
wolverine regenerate from just that bit of arm that was alive?

^ Yeah, there was no explanation. The comic was just trying to sell off it's shock factor alone. It' might have been an interesting read if it was the only comic in the Ultimate universe you've read. Unfortunately it just proved to be an insult.

Even though a lot of people call the Ultimate Universe crappy (not me), it had a lot of great stuff. The majority of Ultimate X-Men was pretty good and some of it sucked, but most of it was good. Some of Ultimate Fantastic Four was pretty good (the zombies, namor and president Thor arc). Ultimate Spider-Man was the most consistent book in the entire Marvel universe. The Ultimate Galactus trilogy was a fairly decent read as was Ultimate Origins and Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk. Let's not also forget how amazing Ultimate Iron Man was and of course Ultimates I and II (best Ultimate books out there).

There was crap however. Ultimate Power really sucked as did Ultimate Elektra and Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra. Ultimates 3 was pretty much the lowest point of the Ultimate Universe. Ultimatum didn't get that low. The main thing I hated about Ultimatum was the amount of people that died and for no reason. And that horrible stuff has continued on to the new Ultimate stuff. New Ultimates really sucks and so does Ultimate X.

However, the new Ultimate Spider-Man is entertaining and Avengers 1 and 2 are pretty good in themselves, but yeah, the ultimate-verse has had its ups and downs, but hey the books still sell.

The Ultimate Universe isn't crappy, just the last few years. With that said I have been enjoying relaunch of Ultimate Spidey (but I still hate the art)

Oh yeah, LaFuente's art is good, but not for the book. It makes everyone look like they are 12 or 13 when Parker and friends are approaching 18. I miss Bagley's art a lot on the book. I'd like Immomen to do the art, but that's just wishful thinking.

Daniel Way, the writer on Deadpool, Wolverine: Origins and Dark Wolverine, came in my store today. I ended up talking to him for about 20 minutes and he seems to be a pretty cool guy. He definitely came across as someone who really enjoys comics and loves working in the medium. He even showed me sketches for Daken's new costume design (hey, he can't keep wearing Dad's old costume). It looks like it could be good. He also had a good story to tell about Steve Dillon involving copious amounts of alcohol. :)

^ Awesome. Good to know he's decent guy since I subscribe to three of his books.

Steve Dillon seems like a guy who can drink. I'm sure him and Ennis have some fun stories.

bread's done
Back