Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I don't like how they're adding all these unnecessary texture/detail lines to the suits. Superman's suit would look fine if they just wanted to get rid of the briefs and give him a red belt a la Titans Tomorrow Connor.

Here's the breakdown for Batman. All former Robins have a showcase book. All info from DC blog.
Bruce Wayne - Batman, Four books
Batman and Robin (Damien), http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/bm_rob_cv1.jpg
The Dark Knight : Bruce Wayne, the One True Batman http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/bmtdk_cv1.jpg
Batman http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/bm_cv1.jpg
Detective Comics http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/dtc_cv11.jpg

Dick Grayson - Nightwing
Nightwing http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/ntw_cv1.jpg
(not a fan of the red or Batman gauntlets)

Jason Todd - Red Hood
Red Hood and the Outlaws http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/red_hood_cv1_r1.jpg
Arsenal and Starfire make up his team

Tim Drake - Red Robin, Teen Titans is said to be his showcase book
Teen Titans http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/teen_titans_promo.jpg
Superboy, Kid Flash/Impulse, Wondergirl

Too much red and black, Nightwing needs his blue back and to lose all those damn lines. Tim's new Red Robin looks great though. Batwoman and Batgirl (Barbara) have their own books as well, and a new Birds of Prey.

damn i cant believe theyre cancelling uncanny xmen but i guess theyve got too many x books so one less wont matter too much ( they should get rid of the comic with cables kid and her lights that shit is boring and shes very annoying).

excited about a red hood series though i like jason todd heres to hoping someday he mixes it up with bane id like to see how hed handle him.

I'm pretty sure the cancellation of Uncanny X-Men is just going to lead to two more X-Men books after Schism is done, one for Scott's X-Men team and one for Wolverine's.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't like how they're adding all these unnecessary texture/detail lines to the suits. Superman's suit would look fine if they just wanted to get rid of the briefs and give him a red belt a la Titans Tomorrow Connor.

Here's the breakdown for Batman. All former Robins have a showcase book. All info from DC blog.

Too much red and black, Nightwing needs his blue back and to lose all those damn lines. Tim's new Red Robin looks great though. Batwoman and Batgirl (Barbara) have their own books as well, and a new Birds of Prey.[/QUOTE]

And Stephanie Brown gets thrown to the wolves yet again *grumbles*

[quote name='slowdive21']Uncanny Xmen is now cancelled according to Marvel.[/QUOTE]

GOD. DAMN. IT.

It was actually the only X Book I've hung on to all these years because well, its the OG.

I'm now convinced both companies are edging me out. Marvel, just cancel/reboot/whatever Captain America and I'll be done with it.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't like how they're adding all these unnecessary texture/detail lines to the suits. Superman's suit would look fine if they just wanted to get rid of the briefs and give him a red belt a la Titans Tomorrow Connor.

Too much red and black, Nightwing needs his blue back and to lose all those damn lines. Tim's new Red Robin looks great though. Batwoman and Batgirl (Barbara) have their own books as well, and a new Birds of Prey.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I will say there are 2 things I like in that information. 1) Damien is sticking around and 2) Jason Todd is sticking around and getting his own book.

With Damien sticking around I'm holding out hope that they're not completely ret-conning the entire DCU. I'm not happy they're fucking with Green Lantern it seems but I am happy that it appears that they're not making too many drastic changes with Batman. We'll see though...

[quote name='karsh']I'm pretty sure the cancellation of Uncanny X-Men is just going to lead to two more X-Men books after Schism is done, one for Scott's X-Men team and one for Wolverine's.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, there's going to be 2 X-Men books:

Cyclops' X-Men

-VS-

Wolverine's X-Men

wc-11-x-men-event-revealed-20110402014451953.jpg

Speaking of Xmen, are there any good books that don't involve Wolverine? Im kind of tired of him, but interested in reading something Xmen related.

[quote name='whoknows']Speaking of Xmen, are there any good books that don't involve Wolverine? Im kind of tired of him, but interested in reading something Xmen related.[/QUOTE]

X-Factor. X-Factor. X-Factor. It might be one of my favorite Marvel books right now.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ok, I will say there are 2 things I like in that information. 1) Damien is sticking around and 2) Jason Todd is sticking around and getting his own book.

With Damien sticking around I'm holding out hope that they're not completely ret-conning the entire DCU. I'm not happy they're fucking with Green Lantern it seems but I am happy that it appears that they're not making too many drastic changes with Batman. We'll see though...[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard it's not a complete ret-con/reboot. It's more a revamp. It didn't seem like they're changing TOO much with Green Lantern. All four books sound interesting to me.

[quote name='whoknows']Speaking of Xmen, are there any good books that don't involve Wolverine? Im kind of tired of him, but interested in reading something Xmen related.[/QUOTE]
X-Force I think are the best X-Men books (imho) but Wolverine's in that.

You can try X-Factor, or possibly Deadpool - his books are hillarious!

[quote name='karsh']X-Factor. X-Factor. X-Factor. It might be one of my favorite Marvel books right now.[/QUOTE]

Would it be hard to jump in right now? Any older issues/books I should read first?

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']X-Force I think are the best X-Men books (imho) but Wolverine's in that.

You can try X-Factor, or possibly Deadpool - his books are hillarious![/QUOTE]

Same questions as above about X-Force.

[quote name='whoknows']Would it be hard to jump in right now? Any older issues/books I should read first?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's definitely a series you should read from the start, but that's mostly cause of the quality of the book. It started with Madrox: Multiple Choice and then has 60+ issues. They've mostly all been collected though. There's a couple dips in quality whenever Marvel forced Peter David to tie into bigger Marvel events, but I think it's easily the best X-Men book, although it's almost an anti-X-Men book.

[quote name='karsh']Honestly, it's definitely a series you should read from the start, but that's mostly cause of the quality of the book. It started with Madrox: Multiple Choice and then has 60+ issues. They've mostly all been collected though. There's a couple dips in quality whenever Marvel forced Peter David to tie into bigger Marvel events, but I think it's easily the best X-Men book, although it's almost an anti-X-Men book.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

If they've all been collected that's even better. I'll have to find a list so I know what order to go in.

[quote name='whoknows']Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

If they've all been collected that's even better. I'll have to find a list so I know what order to go in.[/QUOTE]

Here's a list on Wikipedia that gives you what all their names are and what not. I think Multiple Choice is kinda hard to find now, but the others are all on Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Factor_(comics)#Volume_3

Anyone see Green Lantern Emerald Knights? I thought it was pretty good, it's different stories based around different lanterns, but they cover some good stories. One is based around Mogo Doesn't Socialize, another even hints at the Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night. Don't want to spoil too much, but ti's worth checking out.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm now convinced both companies are edging me out. Marvel, just cancel/reboot/whatever Captain America and I'll be done with it.[/QUOTE]

Um...

[quote name='goodbyetonight']And Stephanie Brown gets thrown to the wolves yet again *grumbles*[/QUOTE]
Maybe she's in the new Birds of Prey book? I didn't quite recognize everyone on the cover. Or maybe she'll appear in Titans with Tim.

Secret Six is getting cancelled/ending. :(

It was one of DC's most unique books, if not it's most unique book. It's not being rebooted either. This makes me sad.

As for the X-Men, I only read X-Factor. I find the teamwork and character interactions much more worthwhile in X-Factor than anywhere else. The news about Uncanny really surprises me. I guess that want X-men Legacy to be the new long-running X-book (along with X-factor), but Uncanny will be back in the future just like Fantastic Four will be back at some point. Marvel loves those high numbers on their comics books.

The x-men history and sheer massive number of characters pretty much make that the most unappealing comic to me. Astonishing X-men worked because it continues the stories from Morrison's New X-men and kept the cast very small and invented its own story, rather than having yet another confusing storyline involving the sh'iar (whatever that is) or whether or not Xavier is alive/dead/crippled/etc. I love the original Stan Lee and Jack Kirby X-men but that whole franchise is a mess.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Maybe she's in the new Birds of Prey book? I didn't quite recognize everyone on the cover. Or maybe she'll appear in Titans with Tim.[/QUOTE]

I asked around and it doesn't seem like she's in either. Gail Simone herself has no idea what's going on with her or Cass Cain, though she seems to want to keep them around so hopefully she'll be able to do something. Not sure how much pull she has at DC though.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']I asked around and it doesn't seem like she's in either. Gail Simone herself has no idea what's going on with her or Cass Cain, though she seems to want to keep them around so hopefully she'll be able to do something. Not sure how much pull she has at DC though.[/QUOTE]

Not much since they are scrapping her best book (Secret Six) and restarting a book that she made enjoyable (Birds of Prey) without her.

I need to get into Secret Six. I've heard great things about Gail Simone but have never been a reader of her work. I'll definitely be checking out Batgirl after the relaunch.

[quote name='diddy310']

Not so sure about Whorely Quinn here...[/QUOTE]

It caught my attention.. and a DC title has never done that before.

Also, tits. That is all.

I need to grab the latest Cobra Civil War issues, I think a few issue 2s are out now. I also need to check on hack/slash stuff... grr.

Also, word of warning, the SuicideGirls comic is terribad. Worst thing I've ever read. I can't believe just how far that site has gone to sell out. Just.. holy shit. It's bad. Bad bad. Really bad. No amount of cleavage or nudity could save it bad.

In other news, IDWs Cobra Civil War, READ IT. Seriously. The entire Cobra series is amazing. It pulled me back into buying comics every month instead of the occasional bound set twice a year. It is awesome. Really cool path for the GI Joe series.

I've been debating starting doing some subs to a handful of titles. I looked into doing at a local store in Indy, but the closest is full of pricks. Treated me like shit and acted like I was unworthy to be in their store. If most shops are like that, no wonder they are dieing.

Anyway, I've looked into a few online shops and TFAW subscription service seems to be pretty good. Any thoughts on their service?

[quote name='JP']I've been debating starting doing some subs to a handful of titles. I looked into doing at a local store in Indy, but the closest is full of pricks. Treated me like shit and acted like I was unworthy to be in their store. If most shops are like that, no wonder they are dieing.

Anyway, I've looked into a few online shops and TFAW subscription service seems to be pretty good. Any thoughts on their service?[/QUOTE]

God, I can't tell you how much I hate the comic shop worker elitism mentality. Its the single biggest reason why I switched to online comic ordering, and since I quit buying back issues I haven't had to step foot in a comic shop in a long time.

Personally, I use Midtown Comics for my online ordering and it isn't too bad of a service. A nice set it and forget it type of service. The thing is though you have to have a minimum of 10 titles on your subscription and if you sit at 10 most of the time the subscription issue discount (usually 15%) is eaten up by the shipping cost.

Shipping has been my main point of not doing it yet. Whatever discount I get on subscriptions gets eaten up by shipping it seems. Also debating if the .25 per comic of bagging/boarding before they ship is a good idea too. I'm new to the collecting of individual comics. I tended to get trades.

[quote name='JP']Shipping has been my main point of not doing it yet. Whatever discount I get on subscriptions gets eaten up by shipping it seems. Also debating if the .25 per comic of bagging/boarding before they ship is a good idea too. I'm new to the collecting of individual comics. I tended to get trades.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth Midtown Comics offers free bag and board with all subscriptions.

My two local comic book stores are all filled with extremely nice and helpful people (ZBK comics & Tates) They're so nice that I feel bad for subscribing my comics online. But I go with Mail Order Comics. I save around 40% off the cover price. Been using them for years and never had a problem.

What is your tipping point from staying away from say ordering straight from Marvel?

Prices are about $2 per comic, and no shipping in the states... I know they probably don't b&b???

If the the USPS bend it to hell.... they (marvel, just like netflix and such) ask them to stop... at least that's what they say in the faqs.

I used to order from TFAW, but the shipping, plus only 1 sub, was just stupid, and I don't have a reliable comic shop around.

Anyone have any history from ordering subs from Marvel.com?

The shops around here are awesome, and by around here I mean 30 minutes drives... we have none in town :/ Vault of Midnight in Ann Arbor is awesome, and there is a shop in Toledo next to a tea store I love that has amazing employees too.

[quote name='xycury']What is your tipping point from staying away from say ordering straight from Marvel?

Prices are about $2 per comic, and no shipping in the states... I know they probably don't b&b???

If the the USPS bend it to hell.... they (marvel, just like netflix and such) ask them to stop... at least that's what they say in the faqs.

I used to order from TFAW, but the shipping, plus only 1 sub, was just stupid, and I don't have a reliable comic shop around.

Anyone have any history from ordering subs from Marvel.com?[/QUOTE]
My main reason is that not all of the books I want are Marvel and the ones of Marvel I do want, only half are listed on their subs page. The next problem becomes that most of the other online stores appear to be a higher cost after shipping if you don't have a minimum of 7, or in the case of Midtown 10, books coming out.

My only other problem is, well I don't want this to become another hobby that I just kind of flame out on in a couple months. I mean my main comic fix has been from TPBs that I have bought or I borrowed from a friend.

Why is Spider-Man 2099 showing up in multiple Spider-Man games? Is there some comic coming out/already out trying to push that character again, or is it just some weird thing they've been doing for the games? I admittedly don't follow news at all so I may have missed something, but it seems so bizarre that that character would suddenly start popping up in ANY form. I think the last time I saw 2099 was when they did a one-shot book with ASM Spider-Man, 2099 Spider-Man, and another one from even further in the future, and that had to have been at least 10 years ago.

Midtown is looking like a better option. Shipping is cheaper and the free bag and board is nice. What I'm curious about is there a way to see which issues are coming next? Especially for someone like me just jumping in that's something I'd like to know. TFAW shows the next issues coming via subscription, but I can't see to find that anywhere on Midtown.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Why is Spider-Man 2099 showing up in multiple Spider-Man games? Is there some comic coming out/already out trying to push that character again, or is it just some weird thing they've been doing for the games? I admittedly don't follow news at all so I may have missed something, but it seems so bizarre that that character would suddenly start popping up in ANY form. I think the last time I saw 2099 was when they did a one-shot book with ASM Spider-Man, 2099 Spider-Man, and another one from even further in the future, and that had to have been at least 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]

They did a mini-series called TIMESTREAM (and Spidey had a one shot out this) either last summer or two summers ago.

The 2099 Group tends to have a following. Basically, the last time the comics industry got new blood and kids to read in large volumes was the 1990s and the fans that stuck around have a fondness for that. It's the same reason Darkhawk showed up in space stuff they were doing.

On the online ordering front: I really miss the local shop I went to. Great place. Sadly, the larger scale places that can afford to hire employees tend to be stereotypical elitists that don't even want to bother with the customers. A weird split. Years ago when I got married I moved to MailOrderComics.com. I went from $100+ a week to less than half of that. Now I can basically get whatever I want. The amount saved on tax alone covers the shipping costs. I also have them ship once a month instead of weekly since that's cheaper and I have a huge backlog anyway (oh do I...)

I eventually started getting the bags/boards with the books (.17 there) since it was more trouble than it was worth buying the supplies myself. With a decent monthly order, you also get PREVIEWS for free. MOC was a better value a few years back when they had a commission link/partnership with Memolink so I would then get another 10-15% back by going through that site or my friend's Commission Junction link. Ah, memories.

I did yank a few titles from my pull list in favor of a few subscription deals:
Batman & Robin had a cheap deal. I found that the way DC ships is more poor than Marvel's and the books are more likely to get bent.

Marvel has a harder binding with their books, but apparently one of out every 10 or so books is fed to a rabid weasel before shipment. Marvel's subscription CS sucks. They still send me WOLVERINE despite not ordering it (another book got cancelled) and asking for the sub to be added to X-Factor. Yeah. Boo.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']They did a mini-series called TIMESTREAM (and Spidey had a one shot out this) either last summer or two summers ago.

The 2099 Group tends to have a following. Basically, the last time the comics industry got new blood and kids to read in large volumes was the 1990s and the fans that stuck around have a fondness for that. It's the same reason Darkhawk showed up in space stuff they were doing.

On the online ordering front: I really miss the local shop I went to. Great place. Sadly, the larger scale places that can afford to hire employees tend to be stereotypical elitists that don't even want to bother with the customers. A weird split. Years ago when I got married I moved to MailOrderComics.com. I went from $100+ a week to less than half of that. Now I can basically get whatever I want. The amount saved on tax alone covers the shipping costs. I also have them ship once a month instead of weekly since that's cheaper and I have a huge backlog anyway (oh do I...)

I eventually started getting the bags/boards with the books (.17 there) since it was more trouble than it was worth buying the supplies myself. With a decent monthly order, you also get PREVIEWS for free. MOC was a better value a few years back when they had a commission link/partnership with Memolink so I would then get another 10-15% back by going through that site or my friend's Commission Junction link. Ah, memories.

I did yank a few titles from my pull list in favor of a few subscription deals:
Batman & Robin had a cheap deal. I found that the way DC ships is more poor than Marvel's and the books are more likely to get bent.

Marvel has a harder binding with their books, but apparently one of out every 10 or so books is fed to a rabid weasel before shipment. Marvel's subscription CS sucks. They still send me WOLVERINE despite not ordering it (another book got cancelled) and asking for the sub to be added to X-Factor. Yeah. Boo.[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I will say about Midtown Comics, in the nearly 3 years I've been using them they've only screwed up my order once. That time I had added a back issue to my order and they sent me a variant cover for the same title but the wrong issue. I contacted them, they told me to keep the variant cover (which wasn't going for a lot, but still) and they'd send the correct issue with my next order.

Other than that I've always received the correct issues for my subscriptions and I've never received a damaged issue.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's one thing I will say about Midtown Comics, in the nearly 3 years I've been using them they've only screwed up my order once. That time I had added a back issue to my order and they sent me a variant cover for the same title but the wrong issue. I contacted them, they told me to keep the variant cover (which wasn't going for a lot, but still) and they'd send the correct issue with my next order.

Other than that I've always received the correct issues for my subscriptions and I've never received a damaged issue.[/QUOTE]

To be clear:

I've never had an issue with Mail Order Comics. If something arrived incorrectly/in the wrong condition, I was sent a new copy.

I sort of went from them to the fact that there had be subscription deals from the publishers that were more affordable. I do not recommend getting subs from the publishers and that is where my issues occurred.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Why is Spider-Man 2099 showing up in multiple Spider-Man games? Is there some comic coming out/already out trying to push that character again, or is it just some weird thing they've been doing for the games? I admittedly don't follow news at all so I may have missed something, but it seems so bizarre that that character would suddenly start popping up in ANY form. I think the last time I saw 2099 was when they did a one-shot book with ASM Spider-Man, 2099 Spider-Man, and another one from even further in the future, and that had to have been at least 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]

This is just a guess, but I think a lot of people enjoyed the 2099 levels in Shattered Dimensions the most (I know I did.) I'm assuming with all the positive feedback to make a game featuring 2099 Spidey. Since the Timestream 2009-2099 comic a few years ago he hasn't been in anything. But I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel features the character more once 'Edge of Time' comes closer to launch.

[quote name='Rodimus']This is just a guess, but I think a lot of people enjoyed the 2099 levels in Shattered Dimensions the most (I know I did.) I'm assuming with all the positive feedback to make a game featuring 2099 Spidey. Since the Timestream 2009-2099 comic a few years ago he hasn't been in anything. But I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel features the character more once 'Edge of Time' comes closer to launch.[/QUOTE]

Given AUGUST Solicits are out, there is really only 1 more month for them do anything with Spidey 2099 in time for the game's release. And it wouldn't have stuff on the shelves prior to release like most tie-ins.

Edit: Sept should be released this week as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's because 2099 was the best part of Shattered Dimensions. Not just because it looked, but it was also very entertaining to play. I'd rather have a Spider-Man 2099 game, but hey, in due time I suppose.

Anyone out there going to SDCC this year? I'm trying to get my hands on the chew 19 variant that image is gonna have this year. Please PM me if you are.

bread's done
Back