Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Anyone out there going to SDCC this year? I'm trying to get my hands on the chew 19 variant that image is gonna have this year. Please PM me if you are.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're looking to get it signed, I believe last year you could order the SDCC variant from Previews at a later time.

I'm hearing this variant is limited to the image booth only and that it's not available via Previews. I guess we'll see as it gets closer though. Things may definitely change.

You know, I know that Cyclops' original costumer basically covered him head to toe, but I really hate that costume, even updated it looks horrible. I still think his best costume was the open head blue/yellow costume. Otherwise it looks like he's walking around in some sort of S&M gear.

Secret Six and Batgirl are the best current DC ongoing series. Knight and Squire was a great mini-series.

Though, none of that really matters, because it's all being rebooted in September.

[quote name='GhostShark']Secret Six and Batgirl are the best current DC ongoing series. Knight and Squire was a great mini-series.

Though, none of that really matters, because it's all being rebooted in September.[/QUOTE]

And Secret Six got the axe in the reboot. Here's a list of all of the reboot titles.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']And Secret Six got the axe in the reboot. Here's a list of all of the reboot titles.[/QUOTE]

Bryan Q. Millar's Batgirl got the axe as well, which is a damn shame because it's probably my favorite DC Ongoing. During its 2 year run it's just been consistantly fun.

It's really hard for me to recommend much of anything until after the reboot in September. Batgirl #22 just came out last week and I think it's a good issue to try since it's pretty well self contained. Otherwise there's always trades.

Flash is going to be a joke. The book was already months late due to Francis Manapul on art. Now he's going to be co-writing it along with doing the art? Clearly they've learned nothing from David Finch on Dark Knight. DC executives obviously ride the short bus.

[quote name='lokizz']is this reboot permanent or a temp thing due to the whole flash crap?[/QUOTE]

My guess is it'll be permanent up until they notice a dramatic dropoff in sales with all the issue #2s. Then they'll start planning a "just kidding" and re-number/retcon most of the titles back to normal. Even if that doesn't happen, the "big" titles like Detective Comics, Batman, Superman, and Action Comics will go back to their original numbering when they hit those milestone issues like 900, 1000, etc.

[quote name='neocisco']Flash is going to be a joke. The book was already months late due to Francis Manapul on art. Now he's going to be co-writing it along with doing the art? Clearly they've learned nothing from David Finch on Dark Knight. DC executives obviously ride the short bus.[/QUOTE]

That's nothing...I am still waiting on the new issue of PITT!

(That's a 90s release delay joke for the older collector's)

The whole renumbering thing pissed off the collector. Hey Marvel, WTF am I supposed to do with Thor? We got Thor which turned into Mighty Thor #600 which turned into Journey into Mystery and a new Mighty Thor.

So, I picked up Flashpoint #1 today just because my pull this week was rather small. What the hell is going on in there? Did some magical alternate world get created like in House of M or something?

I also picked up Executive Assistant Iris #0. Pretty solid read. I find Aspen books to be very entertaining. I just wish that they would come out more frequently. I've been waiting like 3 for the next Charismagic and damn near 7 months for the next Lady Mechanika.

Picked up Ultimate Spider-man 160. I don't know what else I was expecting, but I was expecting more than what was there.

[quote name='GhostShark']So, I picked up Flashpoint #1 today just because my pull this week was rather small. What the hell is going on in there? Did some magical alternate world get created like in House of M or something?

I also picked up Executive Assistant Iris #0. Pretty solid read. I find Aspen books to be very entertaining. I just wish that they would come out more frequently. I've been waiting like 3 for the next Charismagic and damn near 7 months for the next Lady Mechanika.[/QUOTE]

A Charismagic issue came out about 6 weeks ago or so.

[quote name='GhostShark']So, I picked up Flashpoint #1 today just because my pull this week was rather small. What the hell is going on in there? Did some magical alternate world get created like in House of M or something?

I also picked up Executive Assistant Iris #0. Pretty solid read. I find Aspen books to be very entertaining. I just wish that they would come out more frequently. I've been waiting like 3 for the next Charismagic and damn near 7 months for the next Lady Mechanika.[/QUOTE]

from what i can tell about flashpoint its like that xmas movie its a wonderful life but with the flash never getting powers. all i know is its killing booster gold for me as well as the other dc comics i enjoyed.

reboots can be cool but only when temporary like the age of apocalypse.

Some spoilers from the amazing sixth issue of Avengers: Children's Crusade this week
Wanda is back to her old self its seems and Scott Lang is back among the living as well. The biggest thing though is Rictor of X-Factor has had his powers restored.

Thoughts?

[quote name='GhostShark']Some spoilers from the amazing sixth issue of Avengers: Children's Crusade this week
Wanda is back to her old self its seems and Scott Lang is back among the living as well. The biggest thing though is Rictor of X-Factor has had his powers restored.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

my main thought is they took their damn sweet time with this series. i liked this issue but its all going to end bad and i could see her being killed or maybe sent somewhere if what she did really works.

firestorm_cv12-e1309278233221.jpg

Someone had to get a Cable eye didn't they :/

Can someone tell me the order in which I should read stuff following The Sinestro Corps war? I mean as far as the books based around the other corps go, then of course blackest night and all. I already read Rage of the Red Lantern as I think that was next. Not sure after that.

[quote name='GUNNM']Why isn't ghost rider more popular[/QUOTE]

i dunno i like him more now than i used to. i was into him during the darkhold/midnight sons run and then i dont know what happened with him then they did that run a while back with him and his brother and angels ( kinda like supernatural) im curious how this new series will turn out.

i always wondered why us agent wasnt more popular i always liked him more than captain america even now as the crippled warden hes a badass character.

Daniel Way ruined Ghost Rider for me. The series before that, by Garth Ennis and Clayton Crain, was bloody amazing, but then it was all downhill after that. The new series starts this week with a new, female Ghost Rider. We'll see how that goes.

I'm not a Ghost Rider fan (oddly enough I have his first appearance) but from what I've gathered I always thought people liked Daniel Ways run. I would always hear people say "the best comic nobody is reading." I did read the two World War Hulk tie-ins and thought they were pretty good.

I finally decided instead of getting single issues to get trades instead. I tend to read in sets and I just really don't have the patience for bagging/boarding and storing them. With the trades, especially hardcovers, they are ready for the bookshelf as is. I just got my order from talesofwonder.com. Very pleased with the quality and price of all the books. Got 31 trades from them
Ultimate Fantastic Four HC Vol 01
Ultimate Fantastic Four HC Vol 02
Ultimate Fantastic Four HC Vol 03
Ultimate Fantastic Four HC Vol 04
Ultimate Fantastic Four HC Vol 05
Ultimate Fantastic Four HC Vol 06
Ultimate X-Men HC Vol 07
Ultimate X-Men HC Vol 08
Ultimate X-Men HC Vol 09
Ultimate Spider-Man HC Vol 11
Ultimate Spider-Man HC Vol 09
Ultimate Spider-Man HC Vol 10
Ultimate Hulk Vs Iron Man Prem HC Ultimate Human
Ultimate Comics Iron Man Armor Wars Prem HC
Ultimate Six Prem HC
Ultimate Comics Avengers Prem HC Blade Vs Avengers
Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk Prem HC
Ultimate War Prem HC
Ultimate Comics Avengers Prem HC Crime & Punishment
Ultimate Iron Man II Prem HC - Sale 60% off
Ultimate Origins Prem HC
Ultimate Comics Captain America Prem HC
Ultimate Comics New Ultimates Prem HC Thor Reborn
Ultimate Comics Avengers Prem HC Next Generation
Ultimate Comics Thor Prem HC
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Prem HC World According
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Chameleons Prem HC
Ultimatum Prem HC March On Ultimatum
Ultimate Comics Doomsday HC
Ultimatum Companion HC
Ult Comics Spider-Man Prem HC Death Prelude

Some of those Ultimates books are pretty good (Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate FF, Ultimate Thor), but some are really bad (Blade vs Avengers, anything with the Ultimatum). Great haul, though. I still prefer single issues, because I get very impatient.

Yeah, I averaged around $10 per book by the end of the order. I don't think that's that bad, even for not so good collections. I was able to get the free shipping, no tax and I contacted them with questions about the large order saying I wasn't sure about going through it and they give me an extra percentage off the entire order if I went through with it. Was very nice. I also have the hardcovers for Walking Dead 1-6 on their way as well. I figure with all this coming in, should keep me occupied for a while so the next set of trades will be ready by then. That and tracking down Ultimate X-men 1-6 and Ultimate Spider-man 1-8 will be fun and time consuming.

So I'm confused about the DC reboot. Are they going to finish the current stories or just stop them or have two version of Superman or whatever going at the same time?

[quote name='whoknows']So I'm confused about the DC reboot. Are they going to finish the current stories or just stop them or have two version of Superman or whatever going at the same time?[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering this as well, it seems like something of this scale would require some kind of buildup but we're quickly running out of time to wrap up current storylines (Green Lantern in particular, I'm looking at you) and resolve other storylines that are just getting off the ground (Batman, Inc.).

I have a quick question about Ed's Captain America series.
It goes:

Winter Soldier
Red Menace
Death of Captain America

Then its:
Avengers Disassembled -> New Avengers -> Secret Avengers

They need to make chronological ordered lists.

Anybody else read Chew? They totally fucked me releasing that "look into the future" issue last month between issues 18 and 19. I don't remember what's going on.

[quote name='advanced']Anybody else read Chew? They totally fucked me releasing that "look into the future" issue last month between issues 18 and 19. I don't remember what's going on.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up but didn't read it for that reason. I didn't want to spoil anything.

[quote name='advanced']Anybody else read Chew? They totally fucked me releasing that "look into the future" issue last month between issues 18 and 19. I don't remember what's going on.[/QUOTE]

I find myself having a hard time remembering exactly what was going on prior to that too now... I had to go out of my way to get that book too because even though it's on my pull list, my comic shop didn't have it. The other shop in town didn't have it either. I wound up ordering it online. I'll have to go back and re-read the other issues.

And did anyone ever figure out if the SDCC Chew #19 was going to be offered later through Previews? I might still see if someone going to SDCC could get it for me. There's a couple SDCC covers I want. I was just getting into comics around this time last year so I'm not really familiar with whether the variants will be offered later through Previews. I know Chew was; not sure if that's the norm.

Ugh, there better be some serious magical reset going on at the end of Fear Itself.

Everything they put Barnes through and he gets killed by random Asgardian possessed Sin. My only hope is that the deal Tony is trying make with Odin will give the heroes weapons similar to The Serpent (or generic Viking 103432)'s forces, and one of those will bring Bucky back.

[quote name='diddy310']Ugh, there better be some serious magical reset going on at the end of Fear Itself.

Everything they put Barnes through and he gets killed by random Asgardian possessed Sin. My only hope is that the deal Tony is trying make with Odin will give the heroes weapons similar to The Serpent (or generic Viking 103432)'s forces, and one of those will bring Bucky back.
[/QUOTE]

While that is a great idea, Bucky has had a good run. If there is one character who should stay dead, it's him. If they bring him back, what then? Have him be Captain America again? That won't happen with Steve throwing the shield once again.

My only problem with this is that it contradicts almost everything that Ed Brubaker has poured into Captain America over the past 5 or so years.

[quote name='GhostShark']
While that is a great idea, Bucky has had a good run. If there is one character who should stay dead, it's him. If they bring him back, what then? Have him be Captain America again? That won't happen with Steve throwing the shield once again.

My only problem with this is that it contradicts almost everything that Ed Brubaker has poured into Captain America over the past 5 or so years.
[/QUOTE]

Bucky Cap had to end sooner than later. Killing him off is weak, but understandable.

[quote name='Rodimus']The future issue of Chew didn't spoil much. It was more of a side story. I thought it was kinda clever.[/QUOTE]

While I agree, I just find that 2 months between issues in the middle of the arc is a bit long. I find myself lost because I can only seem to remember that issue now instead of the entire lead up to 19. As long as my weekly list is, its my fault, but what can I do? I'll read the arc up to 19 before starting it so I don't lose place. I just would have rather had issue 19 last month instead of this month.

Damnit, Locke & Key's pilot did not get picked up by Fox. They shopped around to other networks but no one wanted it. As a huge fan of the comic I'm very disappointed, it would have made a great drama/thriller.

So I scanned the first few pages but didn't see anything that resembled an answer for me. So I just gone done watching Batman The Animated Series and I want to get into reading the comics. I have just finished reading Batman Year One and it was really good, but I am at a loss of where to go from there. What TPB's should I get both because they are good and will hopefully get me caught up with what is currently going on.

[quote name='cindersphere']So I scanned the first few pages but didn't see anything that resembled an answer for me. So I just gone done watching Batman The Animated Series and I want to get into reading the comics. I have just finished reading Batman Year One and it was really good, but I am at a loss of where to go from there. What TPB's should I get both because they are good and will hopefully get me caught up with what is currently going on.[/QUOTE]

You have a lot of opportunity for batman books. Year One is great! If you want to read more before reading a old batman then maybe Haunted Knight, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory. Tim Sale and jeph loeb did those 3. Arkham Asylum for a darker/deeper bat story. Of course the awesome Dark Knight Returns. Great read. Some over books I loved Batman Contagion. The bane trilogy. Batman year 100. I have a few in my CML. You can skim and see other titles. Batman is by far my favorite hero. The Animated show is amazing too. Kevin has the best voice for batman. After you watch a few seasons you should watch Mask of the Phantasm. animated movie but it is awesome!

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']If that's the case, I'll have to find someone going to SDCC too.[/QUOTE]

Taken from the Letters in this months Chew...

"We're gearing up for the San Diego Con, and should have an Glow-In-The-Dark Convention Exclusive of this very issue that we'll be hawking at the Image Booth (don't worry if you can't get it at SDCC - we're hollding back a number of issues to allocate to retailers.)"

Looks like it won't be as rare as Chew 12's Poyo Variant. So that's nice. I still don't have a line on a copy for me so let's hope my local retailer will get their hands on it.

Am I the only one who is tired of marvel and dc stuff?

Everytime I turn around with marvel some big event is going on that really has no point to it. Aside from its spinoff titles nothing really matters outside the main story thats like 6 issues long and at the end of the story they pull something out of their ass that fixes everything within the last 4 pages. I just get tired of reading these interesting stories that are built up and then suddenly in like half a issue suddenly resolved really sloppy and then its over. LIke all the trouble they went to in secret invasion and then
out of nowhere mr fantastic shows up with a gun that shows who the skrulls are, they fight and its over in like 10 pages.
I guess I get tired of marvel trying to make everything always seem grim and depressing. Even the good stuff like ultimates ongoing that millar writes is incredibly forgettable. Whats worse is they use bendis for every damn thing. He isnt a bad writer but he is very mediocre and the fact he writes so much makes it worse because he doesnt concentrate on anything, its more like he is in a contest to write the most stuff.

DC I used to like but everytime I turn around a series is restarting or some big thing happens and is somehow magically erased and everything then goes right back to where it was. The dc universe also seems character centric. It all used to be batman, wonder woman and superman. Now wonder woman is gone and green lantern is the replacement. Everything is also so disconnected nothing fits together or makes any sense at all.

And they both suffer from only using the good writers on stuff that is main character based. If its not a core title or big event all the non major titles suffer from boring to bad art and even worse writing. And of course anytime someone dies they arent dead and are back within a year and its always some crazy way to come back that either makes no sense (batman for instance) or its just plain stupid (captain america).

Maybe Im just jaded to the big publishers anymore but I find it harder and harder to find any excuse to pick up the books they release. I used to blow like 30 to 40 bucks each week on new stuff, now if I pickup 2 issues thats a lot.

[quote name='gargus']

DC I used to like but everytime I turn around a series is restarting or some big thing happens and is somehow magically erased and everything then goes right back to where it was. [/QUOTE]

This really made me laugh out loud, back when I collected comics I noticed this more and more . Doesn't matter if it is just a year or hell even ten years but sooner or later everything just resets and you're right back to the same old thing. Now I just come back from time to time for the occasional trade paperback but yeah I feel your argument.

bread's done
Back