Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

You guys were right, Locke and Key is great. After I finished the first book in one night, I went out and bought the rest for my vacation this weekend.

I heard of a series about an alien who is stuck on earth and becomes a detective and solves mysteries. Does anyone know what it's called and is it any good?

What's Guardians of the Galaxy? That screen that's posted above has me intrigued.

Basically, think of the Guardians of the Galaxy as the universe's Avengers. I am pretty bummed that Nova was left off the roster, but I guess they wanted to stick to the current roster of GotG.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']You guys were right, Locke and Key is great. After I finished the first book in one night, I went out and bought the rest for my vacation this weekend.

I heard of a series about an alien who is stuck on earth and becomes a detective and solves mysteries. Does anyone know what it's called and is it any good?

What's Guardians of the Galaxy? That screen that's posted above has me intrigued.[/QUOTE]

Only a couple people in this thread read Locke & Key so it's nice to hear some praise for it. Good for you and enjoy the rest of it. The series is wrapping up and it's been an amazing read thus far.

Think of "Guardians of the Galaxy" like the "Space Avengers."

GotG is a comic book that's been around since the late 70's but was revamped in 08. Clearly the 08' version is what this movie will be based on.

[quote name='GhostShark']Basically, think of the Guardians of the Galaxy as the universe's Avengers. I am pretty bummed that Nova was left off the roster, but I guess they wanted to stick to the current roster of GotG.[/QUOTE]

Currently there is no GotG, and Nova was never a member of the team. But I know what you're saying. If you're doing a cosmic Marvel story without Nova it would be a shame.

Found this new comic book website. Seems to have the new solicitations, weekly previews and interviews etc...looks to update daily. The site seems fairly simple, but I will be checking it weekly and thought some fellow CAGers might enjoy it as well.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Found this new comic book website. Seems to have the new solicitations, weekly previews and interviews etc...looks to update daily. The site seems fairly simple, but I will be checking it weekly and thought some fellow CAGers might enjoy it as well.[/QUOTE]

It won't open for me.

I poster here long ago about getting into batman and have actually chewed through quite a bit of it IMO. However I need help trying to find a certain batman comic or story line. I read it when I was a kid and the only part of the comic I remember was a character took a bath in a pool of blood, and he may have had white hair. I know this is not really a lot to go on and is probably not a very popular story, but if anyone know what it is or where I might be able to find more info about it I would appreciate it.

[quote name='cindersphere']I poster here long ago about getting into batman and have actually chewed through quite a bit of it IMO. However I need help trying to find a certain batman comic or story line. I read it when I was a kid and the only part of the comic I remember was a character took a bath in a pool of blood, and he may have had white hair. I know this is not really a lot to go on and is probably not a very popular story, but if anyone know what it is or where I might be able to find more info about it I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Could you be thinking of Ra's Al Ghul? The only other character that I remember bathing in blood was a Teen Titans villain name Brother Blood.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Could you be thinking of Ra's Al Ghul? The only other character that I remember bathing in blood was a Teen Titans villain name Brother Blood.[/QUOTE]

No, I am pretty sure it wasn't Ra's Al Ghul. THe guy had a full head of white hair, a butler, and the pool had skulls around it.

[quote name='cindersphere']No, I am pretty sure it wasn't Ra's Al Ghul. THe guy had a full head of white hair, a butler, and the pool had skulls around it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only thing coming to mind is Brother Blood

Brother_Blood_02.jpg

[quote name='cindersphere']No, I am pretty sure it wasn't Ra's Al Ghul. THe guy had a full head of white hair, a butler, and the pool had skulls around it.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me an idea of when you read the story? Was it a 80s, 90, 00s book? Are you sure it was one of the Bat titles?

I can't think of anyone off hand, maybe on of the minor villains like the reaper or something?

[quote name='cindersphere']I poster here long ago about getting into batman and have actually chewed through quite a bit of it IMO. However I need help trying to find a certain batman comic or story line. I read it when I was a kid and the only part of the comic I remember was a character took a bath in a pool of blood, and he may have had white hair. I know this is not really a lot to go on and is probably not a very popular story, but if anyone know what it is or where I might be able to find more info about it I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Was it Batman: The Cult? Deacon Blackfire (the villain) had white hair and would bathe in people's blood. Maybe?

[quote name='Tronny']Was it Batman: The Cult? Deacon Blackfire (the villain) had white hair and would bathe in people's blood. Maybe?[/QUOTE]

Never read The Cult. Was it pretty good?

Oh, and Deacon's pic for cinder in case it rings any bells:

deacon_blackfire.jpg

[quote name='Tronny']Was it Batman: The Cult? Deacon Blackfire (the villain) had white hair and would bathe in people's blood. Maybe?[/QUOTE]

That's probably it. IDK how old you guys are, so I didn't know how far back to reference.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Never read The Cult. Was it pretty good?

Oh, and Deacon's pic for cinder in case it rings any bells:

deacon_blackfire.jpg
[/QUOTE]

IGN listed it as one of their top ten (or something) Batman collections/graphic novels a few weeks ago. I looked through it a few years ago but don't really remember it being anything special. I only remember it because there were rumors some time ago that the Deacon may be a villain in the Dark Knight Rises.

Sorry to break the Batman train, but after reading Captain Marvel #1, I can finally put away my fears of Miss Marvel sucking in the role. I know it's only one issue, but making her the new Captain Marvel adds so much to her character.

Last edited by a moderator:
purchased my first comic book, get jiro.

was pretty good, sort of a yojimbo with a food theme. i dug it. surprised at what violence there was, since i usually read manga (the "good" kind, sex, violence, etc.) and never comics i always thought modern comics were pretty tame. this had some excellent gory parts.

[quote name='crystalklear64']purchased my first comic book, get jiro.

was pretty good, sort of a yojimbo with a food theme. i dug it. surprised at what violence there was, since i usually read manga (the "good" kind, sex, violence, etc.) and never comics i always thought modern comics were pretty tame. this had some excellent gory parts.[/QUOTE]

Anthony Bourdain wrote this. Looking forward to it.

[quote name='GhostShark']Sorry to break the Batman train, but after reading Captain Marvel #1, I can finally put my fears of Miss Marvel sucking in the role. I know it's only one issue, but making her the new Captain Marvel adds so much to her character.[/QUOTE]

I liked it too. Granted, I'm not a big Miss Marvel hater, but I thought it was a good first issue.

Yeah, I saw that when it first came out. Fantastically done. I don't really like the guy playing Yorick, but that can easily be replaced if this gets picked up, and it should. Really transforms the tone of the comic into something more visual and visceral.

Speaking of Fan made films, Thomas Jane's fan made, ten minute Punisher film is fantastic as well.

[quote name='advanced']I liked it too. Granted, I'm not a big Miss Marvel hater, but I thought it was a good first issue.[/QUOTE]

I'll chime in with another reccomendation for Captain Marvel #1. It was a solid first issue. Everyone should give it a shot.

so any recommendations on something thats violent and also not afraid to show some tits and ass? doesn't need to be these things but a group that is willing to go to these extremes when the story calls for it. having a good story helps too.

i think marvel and dc have a no tits/ass policy or something right? maybe they feel its not ever appropriate for their stories but i feel like its already limiting itself and that rubs me the wrong way.

Marvel and DC both show tits and ass, actually, under their MAX and Vertigo lines, respectively.

Anything Vertigo is usually a safe blind-buy.

The Thor MAX run was ridiculously violent. Awesome read.

How did I not know there was a CAG Comic Book thread!?

A little back info on me: Up until about 3 months ago, I had never read a comic book. ever. Then I started watching The Walking Dead. I liked it so much that by season 2, I needed more and order the compendium one from Amazon. Once I finished it, I ordered a few TPB's, and when I finished those a few more. Once I was caught up (about the time The Avengers Movie came out) I decided to try out some other comic books. I picked up "Avengers Assemble", the new TMNT comic, Thief of Thieves and some others. Here are all of the comics I am reading now...

The Walking Dead (own single issues 82-100, collecting more back issues as I have extra money)
Thief of Thieves
Mind The Gap
Revival
Avengers Assemble
TMNT
Saga (own all isuses have not read them yet)
Spider-Men (own all isuses have not read them yet)
Star Wars Blood Ties: Boba Fett is Dead

I also plan on reading The Invincible Iron Man, and the new 52 Batman. But this is where everyone here comes into play, I am looking for some more ONGOING books to read, preferably towards its start of its life cycle to read. So with that all said, what would you all recommend?

[quote name='TheBigAndy']How did I not know there was a CAG Comic Book thread!?

A little back info on me: Up until about 3 months ago, I had never read a comic book. ever. Then I started watching The Walking Dead. I liked it so much that by season 2, I needed more and order the compendium one from Amazon. Once I finished it, I ordered a few TPB's, and when I finished those a few more. Once I was caught up (about the time The Avengers Movie came out) I decided to try out some other comic books. I picked up "Avengers Assemble", the new TMNT comic, Thief of Thieves and some others. Here are all of the comics I am reading now...

The Walking Dead (own single issues 82-100, collecting more back issues as I have extra money)
Thief of Thieves
Mind The Gap
Revival
Avengers Assemble
TMNT

I also plan on reading The Invincible Iron Man, and the new 52 Batman. But this is where everyone here comes into play, I am looking for some more ONGOING books to read, preferably towards its start of its life cycle to read. So with that all said, what would you all recommend?[/QUOTE]
If you want to jump into Marvel's Ultimate line I would recommend getting the Ultimate Fallout TPB. It's not necessary but it does give a basic "Here's where shit is at and what we are working from going forward." setup. The Ultimate line of Spider-man has been relatively solid throughout it's entire Ultimate run, the current set is no exception. The current Ultimate X-men started good and then just went nowhere but I like what I'm seeing leading up to this Ultimate line wide Divided We Fall event so maybe this will get that book on track. The Ultimates book I wasn't impressed with on this run but again I think it might get good with the Divided We Fall event. Maybe wait to see if they release a Divided We Fall collection or wait for it to get a couple issues in before committing on those two books.

In the main Marvel line I've really enjoyed Avengers Academy, I think they are on book 30 but I may be off. Not sure how close to the start of a run you are looking so that may be a bit too far out. Wolverine and the X-men series I think is probably the best book in the mutant lot, at least the one I enjoy the most. If you are looking for a jump in point for the Amazing Spider-man I think the best/closest one would be starting at issue 648, which is the start of the Big Time run.

Out of DC books there are currently only two that I actually care about to read regularly and that's Red Hood & the Outlaws and Teen Titans. Never been a big DC person but they have their runs where it's entertaining. Image has some good books out there and currently out of the just starting ones I like Danger Club and I saw the Revival book and it looked interesting but haven't had a chance to actually read it yet.

Thief of Thieves
Mind The Gap
Revival
Avengers Assemble
TMNT

I also plan on reading The Invincible Iron Man, and the new 52 Batman. But this is where everyone here comes into play, I am looking for some more ONGOING books to read, preferably towards its start of its life cycle to read. So with that all said, what would you all recommend?[/QUOTE]

I got back into comics a little earlier than you started, right when TMNT had the first issue come out, but I see we read similar titles, and I also have all the Sagas unread as of yet. Here's what I read/recommend, other than what we already have in common.

Batman
Animal Man/Swamp Thing (basically companion books IMO)
I, Vampire
Daredevil
Punisher
Peter Panzerfaust
Fatale
The New Deadwardians

I also have buying Spaceman, it's currently on issue 8/9, Ghostbusters which is fun but not really a Must read, I'm probably jumping off of it after next issue, have the first two issues of Massive but have not read them, and finally have also been buying/reading/liking Before Watchman but you're either gonna be ok with the idea of that series or despise it. I could barely bring myself to buy the first but it was solid so I continued.

I'm planning on getting a Kindle Fire for when I'm on-site somewhere and waiting for status bars to finish, other techs to show up or waiting on hold with a vendor and I'm unable to work on something else during any of these. Does anybody know how the digital side of Marvel and DC are for the Kindle Fire? Hopefully this won't spark too much ire as I know there are plenty of people who won't touch comics unless they're physical, but I need the portability for what I'd be using it for and physical copies can't provide that while I'm on the job.

Thief of Thieves
Mind The Gap
Revival
Avengers Assemble
TMNT

For Ongoing, read Avengers Academy and Invincible Iron Man. Easily the most consistent of Marvel's ongoing books. Also, the new Punisher by Rucka is really good, though it is coming to an end at the end of this year. You also can't go wrong with Hickman's runs of Fantastic Four and FF.

Thief of Thieves
Mind The Gap
Revival
Avengers Assemble
TMNT

Daredevil and The Flash are two of the best comics coming out on a monthly basis, you should check those two out.

Yes that is him. I remember reading this one as a kid and enjoying the issues I had..

Thanks everyone for help.

Andy, judging by some of the Image books you read you should check out Manhattan Projects and probably Secret as well (both written by Jonathan Hickman).

Anyone else a fan of Journey into Mystery since it started focusing on kid Loki? I've really been enjoying that series, especially after they added Leah in as a major character. I am kind of worried though since in the most recent issue
Leah was reabsorbed into Hela. I hope that isn't permanent since I really enjoyed the silliness between Loki and Leah.

I read JIM mostly when it first started, but then shortly after Fear Itself, I grew very tired with the book. It's one of the many series being canned in the Fall, and one of the very few not being rebooted. However, Kid Loki is on one of the files that Nick Fury Jr. has on the cover of Point One due out in the fall. He's on there with Miss America, Wiccan, Nova (most likely Sam Alexander and not Dick Rider), Ant-Man, Cable and Starlord.

I hadn't heard about that, sounds interesting. I hope they do something cool with Kid Loki I like him a lot, same with Wiccan (although I'll be scared of anything with Wiccan in it that Hulkling isn't in, haha, I love those two). I bought I piece of fan art with both of them on it at the last anime convention I went to:
Hulkling_and_Wiccan.jpg

Hulkling should be at least 2 times bigger than he is, but nice. I always jump on comic fan art at anime conventions (I've got nothing against the style of anime,I just prefer American comic art).

Just wanted to see what everyone is kinda reading at the moment and your current pull-list.
I'm currently reading.
  • Saga (one of my favorites)
  • Thief of Thieves
  • AvX and AvX:VS
  • Walking Dead
  • Popeye (difficult read, but the nostalgia)
  • Mind the Gap (still not sure how I feel about it)
  • Manhattan Projects (one of my favorites)
  • Uncanny X-Force (tpb)

I'm going start reading Batman as well with the Joker coming in issue 13 and after the AvX event I think I'm going to stick to tpb and omnibus for all Marvel stuff. I like how they collect there issues together.

I generally trade wait for everything Marvel and indy. Always have been a DC buyer mainly, though I did try AvX...and gave up. Will probably pick up in trade, but just seems to drag on.

So as to what I'm reading subscription wise:

Superman
Action Comics
Green Lantern (just recently started again)
Batman Incorporated
Batman

Money calls in many other places right now. Superman should be dropped, but since he's my fav, just so hard to do it. Really enjoy Batman, and Batman Inc just started back up (BATCOW!), and with the upcoming GL change, I wanted to see how that ends up happening.

Did pick up the last few issues of Earth 2, but figured I would trade wait for that also, so won't pick up any more.

My pull list looks like this:

Marvel:
Avengers vs X-Men
Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers Academy
Punisher
Invincible Iron Man
X-Factor
Hawkeye
Captain Marvel
Fantastic Four
FF

DC Comics:
Batman
Batwoman
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Justice League Dark

Other:
American Vampire
The Walking Dead
Mind the Gap
Morning Glories
Saga
Darth Maul: Death Sentence

That's about it.

I'm reading a bunch of stuff but I'm still really undecided on some titles as to whether I'm going to keep following them (doesn't help that AvX has caused many of the Avengers titles to become ground hog day where I get to see the same mostly unexciting event from a million different angles). So I'll break it down into a few lists.

Series I love:
  • Saga
  • The Sixth Gun
  • Fantastic Four
  • FF
  • Wolverine & The X-Men
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • Uncanny X-Force
  • Avengers Academy
  • Journey Into Mystery
  • Batman
  • Batgirl
  • Birds of Prey
  • Wonder Woman
  • Supergirl

Series I've Mostly Enjoyed (or that I'm new to):
  • Defenders
  • Wolverine
  • Avengers (Basically I've enjoyed this when it hasn't been tied to an event, the Fear Itself tie in was terrible and AvX tie in hasn't been great)
  • New Avengers (The ancient Iron Fist phoenix AvX stuff was cool, but now that it's covering present day stuff it's suffering from not really covering anything new or worthwhile)
  • Avenging Spider-Man (I've liked a lot of the side stories in this, not really following Spider-Man myself but liking
  • Hulk
  • Age of Apocalypse
  • AvX
  • X-Men Legacy
  • Captain Marvel
  • Earth 2

Series I'm eh about or might drop:
  • Dark Avengers (I enjoyed the Dark Avengers appearance in New Avengers which is why I started reading this but I never followed Thunderbolts so it's a little odd reading this story since it follows both)
  • Demon Knights (I liked how it started out and the setting, but the story doesn't seem to be moving anywhere quickly)
  • The Ravagers (Reads like a DC attempt at Avengers Academy but nowhere near as good so far)
  • Justice League (Not really a fan of how the characters are being written so far, feels like there is hardly any development and most interactions are just too focused on the tension between members.)
  • Secret Avengers (Not a huge fan of many of the members of this team except Valkyrie)
  • Teen Titans (Was not a fan of The Culling, seems to be getting better now that the story is beyond that though)
  • X-Men (Story isn't bad, but the series doesn't have most of my favorite X-Men characters beyond Storm)
  • World's Finest (Power Girl and Huntress are cool characters, but this series really hasn't had too much exciting happening in it, and I think it's a little too serious for my taste)

Also, if any of have read and loved Fraction and Aja's Immortal Iron First, you need to check out Hawkeye #1 this week. Fraction and Aja are one of my personal favorite creative teams. So glad to seem them back together.

Marvel:
Avenging Spider-Man
Avengers vs. X-Men
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
The Incredible Hulk
The Mighty Thor
The Punisher

DC:
Animal Man
Batgirl
Batman
Batman & Robin
Detective Comics
Justice League
Nightwing

Other:
The Walking Dead

There's still a lot I either just haven't started or I've fallen behind on. There's quite a few New 52 titles that I've yet to dive into. I also only got interested in actually reading comics within the last year or so.

My list:

DC:

Action Comics
Aquaman
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batwoman
Flash
Green Lantern
Grifter
Justice League
Nightwing

Marvel:

Avengers vs. X-men
Captain Marel
Daredevil
Punisher

Other:

Chew (Chew is awesome. buy it and read it)
Hit Girl
Secret Service
Spaceman

Well, I'm current on all the trades for Walking Dead and Locke and Key, so now I just have a couple of Hack/Slashes to catch up on.

I'm still somewhat new to the graphic novel scene and don't really know what I should pick up...

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Well, I'm current on all the trades for Walking Dead and Locke and Key, so now I just have a couple of Hack/Slashes to catch up on.

I'm still somewhat new to the graphic novel scene and don't really know what I should pick up...[/QUOTE]

Well, if you haven't read Preacher or Y: The Last Man, those are the two I would recommend right off the bat. Also, I've heard many good things about Transmetropolitan and Sandman.

bread's done
Back