Commander Amarao's eyebrow raising Anime thread.

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Previous thread...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111592

flcleyebrowsse7.gif

Continue your anime/manga discussions here.

:lol:

I was going to do a Kintaro one until I saw Sub's response in the other thread, lol.

Anyone watching Blood+ tonight on Adult Swim?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']:lol:

I was going to do a Kintaro one until I saw Sub's response in the other thread, lol.

Anyone watching Blood+ tonight on Adult Swim?[/QUOTE] Well don't let me stop you. :lol:

Save Kintaro for next time, I suppose.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Well don't let me stop you. :lol:

Save Kintaro for next time, I suppose.[/quote]

Nah, it's all good. I was going to post a bigger picture of him caressing a toilet so I think things actually worked out for the better.

gb01wr3.jpg

:lol:

[quote name='FunkyDoRight']I'm hooked on Samari Champloo like crack.[/quote]

It's good stuff.

Samurai Champloo I mean. :lol:

I got my DVD set from Rightstuf's Christmas sale and it is SO much better watching it from the super sharp images on DVD compared to TV.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It's good stuff.

I got my DVD set from Rightstuf's Christmas sale and it is SO much better watching it from the super sharp images on DVD compared to TV.[/quote]

Yeah, im a netflix whore. I can't force myself to buy them

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It's good stuff.

I got my DVD set from Rightstuf's Christmas sale and it is SO much better watching it from the super sharp images on DVD compared to TV.[/quote]
I'm still missing vols. 5, 6, and 7 for my boxset and I can't willingly pay the $25 for each volume. I hope that there's a good coupon soon so I can pick that up. I'm also interested in the Planetes collection, which seems like the big Rurouni Kenshin (season 1?) DVD release that had 6 DVDs inside one big case.

I'd like to finish my Evangelion Platinum collection just for the hell of it. I only have the box w/ Vol.1&2, and I'd rather have each in the slipcases than a thinpak.

Btw...how could anyone NOT LIKE GOLDENBOY?!?!? HOW IS THAT BAD?!?!?

DO YOU NOT LIKE TO LAUGH?!?!?

On another note...Samurai Champloo was pretty awesome, I have the ending song if anyone is interested, actually the artist' whole album. I'm talking about Midicronica's song San Francisco, in case anyone's confoozed.

Another series I liked but am a bit dissapointed in is Tenjho Tenge. I loved every episode, even the flashback that pretty much made a series of its own :lol:. What I didn't like is that it NEVER ended in regards to the anime. 26 eps. w/ 2 OVA's and they never ended the story and just left it open for something else that NEVER came. Other than that, I have no beef with it, and I loved the detailed animation.

So I started watching Naruto since my housemate had pretty much the whole series until to the fillers. I got to say this though: it's really ridiculous on how they can drag out one fight. I'm watching the Wave Country arch, and man, that bridge fight is taking up so many episodes and have so many repeated flashbacks. It's getting frustrating on how much the story progress in those episodes. But, otherwise, the series is decent.

Anyone else watching Code Geass? You can actually draw some comparisons between some of the characters from Code Geass to Gundam Seed/Destiny (since they are made by Sunrise after all). They have mechs, but the action scenes are different since the mechs fight melee rather than shooting lasers at each other. Overall, I like the series a lot. Apparently, they're already signed up for a second season even though we're about 3-4 episodes away from finishing season 1.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']On another note...Samurai Champloo was pretty awesome, I have the ending song if anyone is interested, actually the artist' whole album. I'm talking about Midicronica's song San Francisco, in case anyone's confoozed.

Another series I liked but am a bit dissapointed in is Tenjho Tenge. I loved every episode, even the flashback that pretty much made a series of its own :lol:. What I didn't like is that it NEVER ended in regards to the anime. 26 eps. w/ 2 OVA's and they never ended the story and just left it open for something else that NEVER came. Other than that, I have no beef with it, and I loved the detailed animation.[/quote]

Oh God, I LOVE San Francisco by Midicronica. I have the other Champloo albums, but only that one song by Midicronica.

Tenjho Tenge is pretty cool from what I have read so far. I have been reading the sanitized CMX manga (I think I have 6 volumes) and I have the first 2 DVDs.

[quote name='Over easy']So I started watching Naruto since my housemate had pretty much the whole series until to the fillers. I got to say this though: it's really ridiculous on how they can drag out one fight. I'm watching the Wave Country arch, and man, that bridge fight is taking up so many episodes and have so many repeated flashbacks. It's getting frustrating on how much the story progress in those episodes. But, otherwise, the series is decent.
[/quote]

DBZ inspired. :lol:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Btw...how could anyone NOT LIKE GOLDENBOY?!?!? HOW IS THAT BAD?!?!?

DO YOU NOT LIKE TO LAUGH?!?!?[/QUOTE] Goldenboy is the most painfully unfunny shit I've ever seen. Actually, most anime humor is painfully unfunny, but that one was just the lowest of the low.

I think the one thing that's made me laugh is Rukia's sketches in Bleach. (oh, fuck you :lol: )

Tenjho Tenge was definite guilty pleasure material ... but I watched it all. It had things that I wanted to like, but the execution was far from perfect. Oh, and the opening song was crazy ... good? :lol:

Maybe I'd think better of it if the story had been wrapped up properly. :roll:

[quote name='thespillcanvas']I'm always looking for any good slice of life series, as I'm a huge fan of the genre. Any you'd recommend?[/quote]
I was going to ask the same thing. It's hard for me to find good ones. I know a lot of people will slap me for it, but I liked Koi Kaze. Yeah, the premise is kind of creepy but I thought it was a good show. Also give Princess Nine a try. Even if you hate sports, like I do, it's a good show. Since it's really about the lives of the girls on the team.
Agreed. I was surprised to see that this anime elitist, unlike Kirin, didn't pull out something a little more obscure than Gundam as their ace series, like Naruto's mine
Number 1, why would I randomly mention an obscure anime? While I love Gundam, it's not my "ace" series. I used it because I figured it would be popular enough whereas people could talk about it. In my overall favorites it sits at about #4. Second, I'm an elitist because I don't like shonen shows? I never insulted anyone. I asked if anyone liked anything good (in retrospect I should have added a smiley or something) and then said I think shonen shows are the worst of anime. That's all I said. I'm sure there's genres you don't like either. I'm sorry if I offended you. No need to get personal T.T If you want you can insult Evangelion. Trust me I won't care.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']Another series I liked but am a bit dissapointed in is Tenjho Tenge. I loved every episode, even the flashback that pretty much made a series of its own . What I didn't like is that it NEVER ended in regards to the anime. 26 eps. w/ 2 OVA's and they never ended the story and just left it open for something else that NEVER came. Other than that, I have no beef with it, and I loved the detailed animation.[/quote]
Funny that you mention that. Someone traded in the entire series at work today. I was thinking of buying it because with my employee discount, the discount card and the B2G1 free deal it'd only be like $30. Thing is I haven't heard anything about the series so I wasn't sure.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Goldenboy is the most painfully unfunny shit I've ever seen. Actually, most anime humor is painfully unfunny, but that one was just the lowest of the low.

I think the one thing that's made me laugh is Rukia's sketches in Bleach. (oh, fuck you :lol: )

Tenjho Tenge was definite guilty pleasure material ... but I watched it all. It had things that I wanted to like, but the execution was far from perfect. Oh, and the opening song was crazy ... good? :lol:

Maybe I'd think better of it if the story had been wrapped up properly. :roll:[/quote]

Gah! To each their own I guess, but I DO have a great sense of humor ;), and Rukia's drawings also made me laugh.

I like the OP and ED of Tenjho Tenge, but the way they ended the anime annoyed me to infinity and beyond. I hate when I'm really into some series and it never gets a proper wrap-up as you said, it makes me feel, unsatisfied. Like wtf? does anyone win? Does Souichirou pwn Mitsoumi? does Bunshichi ever look up Isuzu w/out getting caught? :p

They never really explained some things like what was up with Souichirou's Mom's eye?

I never bothered to read the manga though :/

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I was going to ask the same thing. It's hard for me to find good ones. I know a lot of people will slap me for it, but I liked Koi Kaze. Yeah, the premise is kind of creepy but I thought it was a good show. Also give Princess Nine a try. Even if you hate sports, like I do, it's a good show. Since it's really about the lives of the girls on the team.[/quote]

Koi Kaze was alright, but was definately creepy.

I'll look into Princess Nine. You should give Bartender a watch/read. From what I've seen so far it's pretty decent.

Black Cat is pretty good. The story was a bit confusing for me when I was watching it (since I was also watch three to four series at the same time). The action was decent, and it has some light humor in it too. I always enjoy (minor spoilers)
Eve's different custume for each episode
. If you're looking for a decent action series, Black Cat is a way to go.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Number 1, why would I randomly mention an obscure anime?[/quote]
I meant something that was supposed to be great that rarely gets talked about in the anime threads.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']While I love Gundam, it's not my "ace" series. I used it because I figured it would be popular enough whereas people could talk about it. In my overall favorites it sits at about #4.[/quote]
You bashed Naruto (and everybody that discusses it here) and threw out Gundam like there's a huge difference between the two.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Second, I'm an elitist because I don't like shonen shows? I never insulted anyone.[/quote]
You were pretty smarmy asking "does anybody other than X and X watch anything good?" Then when asked what "good" meant, you smarmed it up with "not Naruto" like we should be ashamed of liking it.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I asked if anyone liked anything good (in retrospect I should have added a smiley or something) and then said I think shonen shows are the worst of anime. That's all I said. I'm sure there's genres you don't like either. I'm sorry if I offended you. No need to get personal T.T If you want you can insult Evangelion. Trust me I won't care.[/quote]
If you weren't trying to put on some smarmy charm, you failed. Frankly, I don't really care what you like or don't like as long as you're not acting like hating an anime makes you a better person than those that do. We don't need people acting like fanboys here as we just want to talk about anime.

If you want to know what I do and don't like, here they are:

Like:
Dragon Ball
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
Planetes
Azumanga Daioh
Trigun
Lupin the Third

Don't Like:
Big O
Evangelion
Reign: The Conquerer
Saint Seiya
Gundam Seed
Blue Gender

Let's move on to some actual news:

It looks like Prince of Tennis and MAR are returning to Toonami for their second seasons.
The Philippines are making a live-action Lupin the Third TV series. :whistle2:(
Death Note Laptop ($1,700)
Beck Marathon (only in Canada) :whistle2:( Adult Swim needs to grab the series to air in the US.

You bashed Naruto (and everybody that discusses it here) and threw out Gundam like there's a huge difference between the two.
My exact quote where I bashed people that like Naruto. I'd like to see it please. Because if I did do it I'll gladly apologize.
You were pretty smarmy asking "does anybody other than X and X watch anything good?" Then when asked what "good" meant, you smarmed it up with "not Naruto" like we should be ashamed of liking it.
As I mentioned, I should have made note of my half-joking nature. I apologized for that. What more do you want? You asked me what was good, and I said "not Naruto." So I could clarify why I asked the question in the first place. Again, how does that insult anyone? I was stating my dislike for a show. Big freakin deal. I like Big O and Evangelion. Should I now accuse you of bashing me, and being an elitist? Of course not. You're more than entitled to your opinion.
If you weren't trying to put on some smarmy charm, you failed. Frankly, I don't really care what you like or don't like as long as you're not acting like hating an anime makes you a better person than those that do. We don't need people acting like fanboys here as we just want to talk about anime.
So says the person clearly attacking me for not liking a show you like. But as you said, lets move on. This is pointless and silly.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']I like the OP and ED of Tenjho Tenge, but the way they ended the anime annoyed me to infinity and beyond. I hate when I'm really into some series and it never gets a proper wrap-up as you said, it makes me feel, unsatisfied. Like wtf? does anyone win? Does Souichirou pwn Mitsoumi? does Bunshichi ever look up Isuzu w/out getting caught? :p[/quote]
I guess that's a "don't buy it" then?

Anime comedies tend to fall flat with me too. Only three have really made me laugh. Captain Tylor, Azumanga Daioh and Jubei-chan. Well 3 and 1 episode. The "Pantsu" episode of Chobits I found quite comical.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']My exact quote where I bashed people that like Naruto. I'd like to see it please. Because if I did do it I'll gladly apologize.[/QUOTE]"Naruto is the gutter trash of anime." Using the powers of reasoning, what do you suppose that implies about people who enjoy it?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Philippines are making a live-action Lupin the Third TV series. :whistle2:([/quote]

OMG, please let that be a joke.

Japan made a live-action bit of Bleach and that was pretty much bashed all over you tube when they uploaded video footage of it.

Live-action=Most likely failure

I'm half filipino [but I don't look like it ^^;;] and this is gonna hurt :/

As for Tenjho Tenge, no no, don't take it as a "don't buy it". I really loved the series and just had an issue with how the story pretty much stayed open ended. After the series, I was frantically looking for some sign of a continuation and found the two OVA's. I was excited, because I had thought these were going to be long and awesome. They did continue the story and ended up introducing more characters, but they ended it again on an open note.

What I thought they should NOT have changed from Manga to anime, was Aya Natsume. In the manga she seemed more serious and had black hair, but for some reason they decided to give her brown hair and a ditzy sorta attitude once in a while [She can get serious though, but not for long :/]

I believe the manga is still continuing, but I would have liked them to keep up the anime. This series is pretty good and I'd recommend buying it, b/c I do like to watch it again once in a while, it's just good fun :)

[quote name='Inf^Shini']OMG, please let that be a joke.

Japan made a live-action bit of Bleach and that was pretty much bashed all over you tube when they uploaded video footage of it.

I'm half filipino [but I don't look like it ^^;;] and this is gonna hurt :/

As for Tenjho Tenge, no no, don't take it as a "don't buy it". I really loved the series and just had an issue with how the story pretty much stayed open ended. After the series, I was frantically looking for some sign of a continuation and found the two OVA's. I was excited, because I had thought these were going to be long and awesome. They did continue the story and ended up introducing more characters, but they ended it again on an open note.

What I thought they should NOT have changed from Manga to anime, was Aya Natsume. In the manga she seemed more serious and had black hair, but for some reason they decided to give her brown hair and a ditzy sorta attitude once in a while [She can get serious though, but not for long :/]

I believe the manga is still continuing, but I would have liked them to keep up the anime. This series is pretty good and I'd recommend buying it, b/c I do like to watch it again once in a while, it's just good fun :)[/QUOTE]A live action Lupin could be done. I mean, he's essentially a thieving James Bond with a sense of humor. But finding the right actor to play him would be tough.

Koi Kaze was wonderful. One of the most intriguing love stories ever. Looking for more slice of life type series? Try Strawberry Marshmellow, for a Sci Fi twist Figure 17 and with a touch of weird magic, Kamichu!.

Been watching subbed Bleach-- just started the second season. Good stuff, but I'm sad to see everyone being so merciful to the death gods (aside from Ganju of course)

I think I know how the story is going to go down, but my one prediction is that Ganju will die at some point. Don't spoil it for me though :)

anyway, anyone seen any of the Golgo 13 movies? I found Golgo 13:the professional the other day but haven't watched it yet. All I know is the NES game had a "sex scene" that was controversial back in the day.

[quote name='Apossum']Been watching subbed Bleach-- just started the second season. Good stuff, but I'm sad to see everyone being so merciful to the death gods (aside from Ganju of course)

I think I know how the story is going to go down, but my one prediction is that Ganju will die at some point. Don't spoil it for me though :)

anyway, anyone seen any of the Golgo 13 movies? I found Golgo 13:the professional the other day but haven't watched it yet. All I know is the NES game had a "sex scene" that was controversial back in the day.[/quote]

I loved the Golgo 13 NES game. The scene was Hot Coffee for 1988 or whenever it came out. :lol:

I wouldn't mind checking out the anime myself.

[quote name='jmcc']A live action Lupin could be done. I mean, he's essentially a thieving James Bond with a sense of humor. But finding the right actor to play him would be tough.[/quote]

I guess it could be funny, slipped my mind Lupin could be very comical in live action, just horribly corny. That's what I'm afraid of, the potential for this to become "t3h uber corny".

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I guess it could be funny, slipped my mind Lupin could be very comical in live action, just horribly corny. That's what I'm afraid of, the potential for this to become "t3h uber corny".[/QUOTE]I could see it sort of like Ocean's Eleven. Comedic, but not really a comedy.

[quote name='Apossum']
anyway, anyone seen any of the Golgo 13 movies? I found Golgo 13:the professional the other day but haven't watched it yet. All I know is the NES game had a "sex scene" that was controversial back in the day.[/QUOTE]

It's not bad, a decent crime drama which you don't see too much of in anime, sometimes going a bit overboard on the sex and violence though. Also you have to keep in mind that's it's nearly 25 years old.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']My exact quote where I bashed people that like Naruto. I'd like to see it please. Because if I did do it I'll gladly apologize.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']So does anyone other than Guile and Shini watch anything good?[/quote]
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Not Naruto.[/quote]
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's a shame too. It's the gutter trash of anime.[/quote]

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']As I mentioned, I should have made note of my half-joking nature. I apologized for that. What more do you want? You asked me what was good, and I said "not Naruto." So I could clarify why I asked the question in the first place. Again, how does that insult anyone? I was stating my dislike for a show. Big freakin deal. I like Big O and Evangelion. Should I now accuse you of bashing me, and being an elitist? Of course not. You're more than entitled to your opinion.[/quote]
No, because it was a list not asking who watches good shows, specifically not Naruto because it's gutter trash. I'm pretty sure that you're not aware that these threads originate from threads based solely around Naruto, then Bleach became a bigger topic so it was expanded to a blanket anime thread to allow for the discussion of anime-related stuff. If nobody's talking about the anime you want to talk about, try talking about it and see if anyone bites instead of using snide remarks.

As for this particular part, I didn't call them the gutter trash of anime, I just made a list of shows I don't like. If you find that offensive, I don't know what to say. (I know it's a hypothetical statement ;)) There's a difference between having an opinion and posting fanboy opinions.

So says the person clearly attacking me for not liking a show you like. But as you said, lets move on. This is pointless and silly.[/quote]
I'm attcking you? Hilarious. Not liking Naruto? You certainly don't just "not like it" as you called it "gutter trash," which would mean something a little more extreme than just not liking it. Be a little more respectful of everyone here and we can all get along just fine. I agree that we should move on, if you can.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']OMG, please let that be a joke.

I'm half filipino [but I don't look like it ^^;;] and this is gonna hurt :/[/quote]
No offense to you or your heritage, but I didn't mean that in that way nor am I the stereotypical "I hate anything different" anime fan you take me for. I did mean it in the sense that I'm saddened that it'll most likely star people that really shouldn't be doing a live-action Lupin. The character designs probably won't match up well enough for me to really like it. Thus, I'm saddened. :whistle2:(

In other news, I ordered the third volume of Zombie Powder and the ninth and tenth volumes of Death Note yesterday from justmanga, so I hope I get them later this week. I may save reading those until I head home at the end of April, but it'll be hard to not read Death Note right away. Maybe I'll just hold off on reading ZP.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
No offense to you or your heritage, but I didn't mean that in that way nor am I the stereotypical "I hate anything different" anime fan you take me for. I did mean it in the sense that I'm saddened that it'll most likely star people that really shouldn't be doing a live-action Lupin. The character designs probably won't match up well enough for me to really like it. Thus, I'm saddened. :whistle2:([/quote]

Oh no no no, i didn't mean it like that.

I just meant I hope the philippines don't go corny with the lupin live action, because i've honestly never heard much positive criticism for live action series based on animes.

I never took the comment personally ;), and i'd prefer all kinds of views on everything so i know where to properly spend my time watching what series n' such :p

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
I just meant I hope the philippines don't go corny with the lupin live action,
[/quote]
which filipino comedy isn't corny is more likely the question......

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
because i've honestly never heard much positive criticism for live action series based on animes.
[/quote]
i'm just generalizing here but any anime/comic based series turn to live action will always have negative criticism...its just it.....there's always that fan boy in us that complains bcoz they didn't show what we wanted to see......the positive only comes from if we actually enjoyed it.......

the key i think is just to be open minded that it's the director's vision on how the show is gonna be interpreted on film and hope it closely resembles our expectations as viewers...;)

[quote name='177adjen17']which filipino comedy isn't corny is more likely the question......

i'm just generalizing here but any anime/comic based series turn to live action will always have negative criticism...its just it.....there's always that fan boy in us that complains bcoz they didn't show what we wanted to see......the positive only comes from if we actually enjoyed it.......

the key i think is just to be open minded that it's the director's vision on how the show is gonna be interpreted on film and hope it closely resembles our expectations as viewers...;)[/quote]

hahaha, I've honestly never watched a filipino comedy, only the game shows once in a while just for the heck of it.

The only thing that's stuck out in my mind is Karaoke o_O. They LOVE singing.

I'll pass on live-action anywayz, I have shows like House and Frasier to watch :)

I'd just like to contribute this:

I hate Bleach and Naruto. The former is alright, but far too generic. Whereas the latter is just plain being bad all over the place, even the art is starting to look like a goddamn colorbook.

If there's any shonen that I would consider my favorite, it'd probably be One Piece, it's awesome.

But that's just my opinion on shonen.

Also, call me crazy, but I've hated most Gundam series with the exception of G and 08th MS Team.

I got nothing against Bleach or Naruto. Bleach has much more interesting characters so far IMO (Rukia and Ichigo are really cool IMO). Naruto I pretty much watch for the fights, same as with DBZ. The story is fine, I just like seeing creative ways to deliver an ass whoopin'. :lol:

I've seen subbed One Piece and while I like Nami, Monkey, and Zolo, some of the characters are the most bizarre I have ever seen, anime or otherwise. It's fun to watch usually though.

To be honest, I try to find something I like about every anime I watch. There have been very few that I can't find anything to say I liked about it. The worst I ever saw was Tekken. God that was a piece of crap.

I honestly loved the first arc of bleach, the rest were cool but my interest dwindled a bit into the soul society arc, then the bounto arc kinda lost my attention and I watched it mainly just to see how things progress and which characters would be featured and what not.

IMO, I didn't see Bleach anything near generic til' about a couple episodes into the Soul Society Arc. Then people started comparing it to DBZ b/c of all the powering up, like the commander's 5 minute power up :lol:, which pretty much lead up to nothing plot wise.

I gotta say though, this current Arc is breathing new life into the series for me, I'm liking it so far ;O

One series that I've always wanted to watch from beginning to end was Rurouni Kenshin. I've seen a couple episodes throughout the series and it had me intrigued. I wanna see all the cans of ass whoopin' there :D, plus the story of course ;)

Am I the only one who likes my anime dubbed? But, when it comes to movies (not anime movies), it MUST be subbed.

[quote name='naes']Am I the only one who likes my anime dubbed? But, when it comes to movies (not anime movies), it MUST be subbed.[/quote]

Only dubs I ever liked were Goldenboy, FLCL, and Fullmetal Alchemist...and Sailor Moon :whistle2:s:oops:

Lupin is great. Too bad I can't find any place to download it. :lol:
[quote name='thespillcanvas']I liked the Lupin III dub. That's about it.[/quote]

I've never joined in the anime discussions in here... though I'm doing more manga reading and anime watching than gaming right now.
I've been throughly abusing my boyfriend's employee discount at Barnes and Noble. I just picked up Tail of the Moon because many of my manga have been pushed back until late summer. I really enjoy it since the only game I've been playing is Samurai Warriors 2 and it ties in nicely since it was set in the same era.

[quote name='naes']Am I the only one who likes my anime dubbed? But, when it comes to movies (not anime movies), it MUST be subbed.[/quote]
It depends on the anime. I can swing either way. One Piece and Kaleido Star are animes that I prefer subs while others I prefer dubs (Dragon Ball, Azumanga Daioh, Samurai Champloo) and there's some I can go either way (Naruto and Bleach).

[quote name='naes']Am I the only one who likes my anime dubbed? But, when it comes to movies (not anime movies), it MUST be subbed.[/QUOTE]

you are the only one, believe it!

There's definitely anime I prefer the dubbed version. I cannot watch Cowboy Bebop subbed now. Steve Blum IS Spike. Beau Billingslea IS Jet. The Japanese voices just sound wrong. The same thing with Samurai Champloo. Everytime I hear the Japanese Mugen speak I'm like "You are SO not Mugen." I'm a lot more accepting of dubs then most people. I think Bleach has a damn fine dub so far, besides a few voices like Urahara and Renji. Same thing with Naruto. I like a lot of voices but some irk me. I think another anime that had an amazing dub I never once disliked was Fullmetal. Everyone was so perfectly cast from Vic Mignona as Ed to Scar's voice actor whose name escapes me right now and I'm too lazy to look for it. Yet there are some I just can't stand like One Piece.

the second(?) story arc of Bleach, when they go to soul society, fight all the captains, etc... was quite addictive. i was entertained.

i bought my first anime DVD today, the Scrapped Princess set that came out today... it's in one of those snap-cases that new PC games come in, and i'm pretty sure there's only discs in there... pretty ghetto but it was only $29 total for me. i was thinking of not buying it after i saw the cheap-tacular packaging, but it's definitely my new favorite so i felt obligated to actually purchase it after watching the fan-subs...

as for the subs vs. dubs... whatever you watch it first as, you like better. i watched cowboy bebop and NGE dubbed, and hearing the subs sounds so plain, especially Spike and Asuka... however every other anime i've seen subbed; i won't even bother trying the dubs because the japanese is in my brain lol

Nope. If there is a dub I'll always watch that first, THEN I might go back and watch it subbed. Why?

1. I read and speak English. I know a handful of Japanese words at best.

2. I prefer not reading screens and missing out on details in the artwork. On the occasions I watch fansubbed stuff, I find myself going back quite a bit to scenes just to see the action on screen.

3. For all the talk of english dubs being bad, for all we know the Japanese ones are worse.

If there are only subs I have no problem watching it though. I think Haunted Junction is the only DVD set I have that is sub only. I can understand people preferring subs if the dub significantly changes parts of the story though. To each their own.

bread's done
Back