Community Feedback Poll - Game Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you are in the media or a developer, I don't want to hear someone's review of a game until the day that game launches.

[quote name='Magic Pink']Pirated games are 99% of the time unfinished anyway and the impression or opinion generated by them would therefore be incorrect.

Also, pirates are assholes.[/quote]

that's just flat out untrue and can only be said by someone who doesn't the whole story on downloads , sure i say that the whole assassins creed thing for the PSP was unfinished but for he most part real pirates only get a game a week or 2 before its out and can say with out a doubt that i have never seen a download game vs a retail game that had any differences other then one being burnt and the other being retail. Don't believe me download a pirated game which would be in a iso format then make a copy of a retail game in to another iso. Run a hex comparison program and you'd see all the data is the same. Demos are also a unfinished game that %99 of the time won't start you off in the retail version of the game the same way they did in the demo. But yet people still form opinions about games from these demos too and there not done. Oh and xbox360 can;t be %99 done cause they still need MS to stamp there "run this cd command" on all their discs which is a MS internal thing not in the hands of the developers or pirates. If you could there would be 360 homebrew which there's not.

Also, sure most pirates may be a-holes but without them and others like them i wonder how many IT and security firms would be collecting an unemployment check to because there no longer evil pirates to stop. It's a never ending cycle , they make protection we break it, they say it can;t be done it happens, pirates download load half a million in games, ubisoft spends half a million in new jobs to people to stop it.

People will form there own ideas about a game and not just take someones word for it. Gamefly , Blockbuster plus how many other places can you try before buy anyone who can agree %100 about a game from what someone else has said without trying for them self's are sheep anyway.Sorry if that offend someone but if you need someone to tell you what you should think of a game and not form your own opinions about a game,movie whatever please PM me i have a bridge for sale just off the NYC bay

[quote name='djbooba']Unless you are in the media or a developer, I don't want to hear someone's review of a game until the day that game launches.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying it's OK to pirate the game but they just need to hold their thoughts about the game til the release date?

[quote name='Magic Pink']Pirated games are 99% of the time unfinished anyway and the impression or opinion generated by them would therefore be incorrect.

Also, pirates are assholes.[/quote]
Maybe in the early '90s, but pirated copies of games are 1:1 nowadays.

It's just silly, why make these little rules when there hasn't been a problem to begin with?

I think we should make a rule that zombies are not allowed to create threads, yeah zombies don't exist but YOU NEVER KNOW.

[quote name='yukine']Maybe in the early '90s, but pirated copies of games are 1:1 nowadays.

It's just silly, why make these little rules when there hasn't been a problem to begin with?

I think we should make a rule that zombies are not allowed to create threads, yeah zombies don't exist but YOU NEVER KNOW.[/QUOTE]

Why do we need proof that Zombies Exist? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove that zombies don't exist argument". We don't need PROOF. I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions do in fact mean that Zombies exist and CAN create threads. Who knows we might also have local connects.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Why do we need proof that Zombies Exist? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove that zombies don't exist argument". We don't need PROOF. I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions do in fact mean that Zombies exist and CAN create threads. Who knows we might also have local connects.[/quote]
:applause::applause::applause:

I don't read reviews here. I don't pirate games. Unfortunately, criminals tend to be very good at rationalizing their actions.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Why do we need proof that Zombies Exist? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove that zombies don't exist argument". We don't need PROOF. I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions do in fact mean that Zombies exist and CAN create threads. Who knows we might also have local connects.[/quote]

Damn it, but I lol'd.

Well there doesn't have to be proof, zombies might exist or they might not.

Regardless, my point being, if zombies do exist they haven't caused any problems on this site. Therefore (to me at least), it seems unnecessary to make a rule against them.

In the same vein, I feel it's unnecessary to make a rule against pirates from writing their own early impressions of games. There need to be rules against providing pirated content, that makes sense, but this seems way overly cautious and again unnecessary.

But there is a poll, so give the people what they want.

[quote name='yukine']Well there doesn't have to be proof, zombies might exist or they might not.

Regardless, my point being, if zombies do exist they haven't caused any problems on this site. Therefore (to me at least), it seems unnecessary to make a rule against them.

In the same vein, I feel it's unnecessary to make a rule against pirates from writing their own early impressions of games. There need to be rules against providing pirated content, that makes sense, but this seems way overly cautious and again unnecessary.

But there is a poll, so give the people what they want.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Agreed.

Yes, I don't really care how they got the fucking game, I just want to know what it plays like so that I can decided whether I want to buy it or not.

- There's a lot of self righteous, pro industry people on this forum. That's nice to see...

Yes, and the piracy advocates aren't self-righteous, right? :roll:

"Maaaaaaaaaaaan, the games cost too much, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! They should be free, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"
"They put out bad games, so I am going to steal them, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan"

[quote name='face_kicker']There's a lot of self righteous, pro industry people on this forum.[/QUOTE]

This statement in and of itself is self righteous.

Beyond that, you need these "pro industry" people to support the games and developers so they keep getting made. I don't ever think the game industry will die due to piracy, but having done it all my life and it being a hobby of mine, I'm free to support it in any way I choose.

If that makes me elitist, then that's something I can live with.

Since everything has already been off topic, :lol:, I think it's OK to pirate old shit. Shit that's not available in stores & available on the virtual console or other means.

If the game/system is out of print, no one is losing money..right?

[quote name='face_kicker']Yes, I don't really care how they got the fucking game, I just want to know what it plays like so that I can decided whether I want to buy it or not.

- There's a lot of self righteous, pro industry people on this forum. That's nice to see...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, man. fuck the system!

3punks.gif

[quote name='lilboo']Since everything has already been off topic, :lol:, I think it's OK to pirate old shit. Shit that's not available in stores & available on the virtual console or other means.

If the game/system is out of print, no one is losing money..right?[/QUOTE]

This is just an extreme gray area, and falls on a lot of factors. How "out of print" are we talkin' here? I.e., is it a PS2 game? 'Cuz GamesQuestDirect might always reprint it. Is it a rare Saturn game? Can you find it on eBay? Can you find it used elsewhere?

A lot of those factors are mostly negligible though. But the point that "no one loses any money" somehow absolves everything is just something that is a little vague.

But that's almost an entire discussion in and of itself.

I say we go back to arguing about EA some more in this thread. What if EA was run by zombies? And then the tagline was "EA Sports. It's brains brains braaaaaaaains." Would you support them then? I wouldn't. I don't support zombie corporations.

I'm talking about OLD OLD shit..like NES and SNES stuff! ALSO, stuff that's NOT on something like the virtual console, or a compilation, and most likely won't ever.

If I had a crap load of NES games on my PC--and none of the ones that were currently available in some form--how illegal is this? If it is at all.

Although I oppose draconian DRM like the game Spore employs I in no way condone piracy. As for whether or nor people bought an early(broken street date) legitimate copy I feel that they should wait until the game is officially released to post their reviews. I'm against piracy as I am also against DRM. I speak my mind with my dollars spent and I wont support games with ridiculous DRM by not buying them(even if I was really interested in them before said DRM was introduced). And I wont support piracy because whether or not a game's publisher implememnts DRM still doeasn't take away the fact that the game's developers have put their heart and soul(and large chunks of their life) into creating this content. With all of that said I'd like to add: fuck you EA for making me miss out on so many supposely great games. Get your head out of your ass and realise that the pirates will pirate games regardless and the only people you're hurting are your fans and your bottom line with DRM schemes like this crap...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've got a solution to all of this. If you're suspected of piracy, lilboo gets to frisk you and then decide your fate.[/QUOTE]

Clearly FT is in favor of piracy. Or in favor of lilboo. Or maybe both.

Maybe he wants lilboo to dress up in a pirate costume and call him First Mate Frockington.

I don't see why not. I mean, if somebody has something to say about a game, let them. They're just trying to let the community know whether the game is good or not.

[quote name='A_Ninja']As a non-biased party, I think all pirates should be killed...err...I mean banned. That's right....banned....to death.[/quote]

Are you serious? Why should pirates not be allowed to use the forums? I mean, we know CheapyD doesn't support piracy, but banning all pirates is overkill. He'd lose thousands of users. Not to mention that it'd be impossible to tell a pirate from a non-pirate.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, crapola. I guess I have to go yell at my copy of Rock Band.

Be right back.[/QUOTE]

Vote Quimby Support the rule!

[quote name='Strell']Clearly FT is in favor of piracy. Or in favor of lilboo. Or maybe both.

Maybe he wants lilboo to dress up in a pirate costume and call him First Mate Frockington.[/quote]
No, I'm trying to trick out lilboo all over CAG. I'm lilboo's
1326.gif

[quote name='lilboo']:whistle2:k This could work.

PIRATES, BEWARE. IM COMIN FOR YA
bellyemoticon.gif
[/QUOTE]

:puke::puke::puke: If this would happen, I for one would never pirate a game ever. You're right it did work ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick of all the self righteous douche baggery that seems to be creeping in on CAG... even worse, the witch hunting beginning to point fingers at long time members of the community in order to feed into their own ethical high and mighty viewpoints in order to feed into some sort of superiority complex.

If any of this stupidity leads into pissing off established membership on here that supports the community in ways most of these self serving asshats do NOT... which is actually posting DEALS.... then they themselves need to return to their virtual pissing contests on the GameFaqs boards or something.

I'd hate to quote a mediocre movie such as Crimson Tide (especially when it carries the namesake of the archnemesis of the Auburn Tigers)... but "false assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups."

Rock Band 2 is a HUGE release. Full marketing support, big money maker.. and with the MTV name involved, that in turn means that Viacom is involved. Use a little bit of logic.. and BOOM.. this is a license to print money for them. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing was shipped from distribution a week ago. Whenever copies of a game are sitting in a warehouse, it means somebody's going to snag it.. somehow.

As for some of you protectionist ones eager to make counterpoints over the interests of a corporate business... everyone has a selling point. If Megan Fox came up to you with a Demonoid t-shirt on.. and said "I'll bang you if you download me a free copy of Spore." I have a feeling your moral high ground would crumble. I know I wouldn't be able to click and pop in a blank DVD-R DL fast enough in that scenario....or is it more important to "get to know her first?"

And before anyone starts attacking me for that statement.. it also shows how everyone will choose differently in the face of an ethical dilemma. It's hard for me to attack someone for taking a very small fraction out of a game's huge sales with gas at $5 a gallon and a price floor of $60 MSRP for every stinking new release.

[quote name='Skylander7']It's hard for me to attack someone for taking a very small fraction out of a game's huge sales with gas at $5 a gallon and a price floor of $60 MSRP for every stinking new release.[/quote]

That's a pretty fallacious argument there.
Games are a luxury item. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it - thus have no right to it.

[quote name='Skylander7']As for some of you protectionist ones eager to make counterpoints over the interests of a corporate business... everyone has a selling point. If Megan Fox came up to you with a Demonoid t-shirt on.. and said "I'll bang you if you download me a free copy of Spore." I have a feeling your moral high ground would crumble. I know I wouldn't be able to click and pop in a blank DVD-R DL fast enough in that scenario....or is it more important to "get to know her first?"[/quote]
Well, I don't think I'd fuck Megan Fox with YOUR dick, but I see where you're coming from.

Still, this is an unfair premise. If Charlize Theron or Kate Beckinsale ritually disemboweled my entire family and every one of my friends in front of me, forcing me to watch, helpless, and then said "I'll bang you if you confess to this," I'd probably have to think REAL hard before answering.

You know, I'd probably try a counter-offer of "Would I still get to bang you if I just told everyone some Mansonesque cult did this?" but I would probably yield on the initial proposal if I couldn't convince.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Still, this is an unfair premise. If Charlize Theron or Kate Beckinsale ritually disemboweled my entire family and every one of my friends in front of me, forcing me to watch, helpless, and then said "I'll bang you if you confess to this," I'd probably have to think REAL hard before answering.[/quote]

I believe his point was that it's still enforcing YOUR sense of morality on other people. If something's ethically wrong, it's up to you to convince that person to change, not force them. If something's illegal, then it's up to those in law enforcement. This site, the nice folks who run it, and all the users who frequent it (allowing for a few exceptions) are the former, NOT the latter. And, by the way, you might want to talk to someone... you know, someone who might be able to help...

What if this topic were switched to focus on MP3 downloading? What if CheapyD said that everyone who they suspected were downloading MP3's would be banned? What if the issue was muddled a bit? For instance, I download MP3's from the site formerly known as allofmp3.com, where the legality is questionable. (The only reason I do so is because a couple years ago, I put about $100 into my account, and just haven't spent it all yet. Once I spend it all, I'll start downloading songs from iTunes.) What if I downloaded full albums from Russian bands 2 weeks before they were released in the US, and posted my opinions of the songs (you know, like actual journalists do)?

Let's even mix it up a bit more. Let's say I lucked out, and got chosen to be a beta tester of new, unreleased consumer electronics, and I got the PS4 3 months before it was released. Let's also say, hypothetically, that it was the worst console ever known to man, but the hype was through the roof. (By worst console, I mean Atari 2600-style graphics, controller with 1 button... really horrible shit, but they somehow managed to get the hype raised to astronomical levels). How many of you would want to know that you should save your $1000 before you stand in line for 12 hours hoping to get yours?

What if I got Rock Band 2 tomorrow (the full bundle), and discovered that the game was completely broken, the songs were covers by The Local Shit Band, and the instruments don't work at all (again, purely hypothetical). Should I keep that info to myself and watch all you unfortunate saps waste your $200 on an unfinished / unworking product?

I don't think piracy is right, but the info gained from getting an early release of a game has absolutely nothing to do with the method the person got the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Salmonday']If you allow it to be posted, you reward piracy. Simple as that. They get to be "first," and enjoy the attention they get (which they will try to leverage into getting people to get them Xboxes via referral services or some other stupid b.s.). Some of them will try to claim that they are "doing the community a service by letting people know if the game is worth buying before it comes out in order to save them money." This is a shameful lie.

A.) They are doing it to try to bolster sympathy for their shameful practice.
B.) They have already stated their position on whether someone should buy it because they DIDN'T see fit to buy it.
C.) Their opinion holds no more weight than any other review a CAG could use to determine their purchases.

In short: pirates suck, and should be driven out like filthy beasts.[/quote]

Well said

Ok.. bad joke with the "pity the foo with no money who pirated a game." I was more joking on the behavior of people to pursue alternative means to obtain a good or service in the face of an unreasonable price floor.. but it was a joke.

Look.. there have been previous deal postings where games were sold at Target or Kmart early. We, as CAG's, go apeshit and buy them up. This is QUICKLY turning into a witch hunt and less of a discussion.

So.. I REALLY hate to go this route.. but please view it like this. Pro-Life or Pro-Choice? The law will always side with a pro-choice decision, as a pro-life standpoint is primarily one of religious preference (which the law must be blind to).

Censorship on this site will be the beginning of the end. We do fine with the current rule of not discussing the methods or providing the means in which to pirate. So far, the only argument I've seen is the ethical claim of piracy being wrong. Ok.. to you, it's wrong. Congratulations.. let me give you a round of applause. So.. you're assuming an early review is due to piracy? Do you have proof?

Next stage of the argument.. make "early reviewers" prove they legally obtained the game. Who gave you the right to invade their privacy? Do you have a warrant? Are you the gumshoe of the interwebs now?

This is like Palin being an expert in foreign policy because "Look, I can see Russia from my house!!"

Politicism aside.. if you have a problem with piracy, for whatever reason, it is your world view. If you want to "save the game industry," please write your favorite developers and suggest improvements in their manufacturing, distribution, and security practices. However.. being the game vigalante 0f teH CAgS will not single handedly save an industry saturated with competition and generally lacking in basic knowledge of marketing and project management. I think "driving out the filthy beasts" is.. well, I was going to say a sign of an underlying psychological issue, but I'll pass on that. If you solve the problem here, are you going to stop it elsewhere online? Please.. some of you are looking to fragment a community and taking something way too seriously over your belief in your own moral superiority.

As long as we don't provide the means to obtain illegal software.. chill out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I believe so. Early impressions are important. And it does not always means that they are not going to buy the game.

Games I have downloaded in the last 6 months and bought.
Spore
COD4
UT3

Games I have downloaded in the last 6 months and not bought.
Gal Civ2 (and I will be buying it and both expansions after either 1) I get them for my Bday or 2) i dont and i have to buy them myslef)

I know what I do is not the norm. But if I am 50 / 50% on a game, I really like to try out certain features of it first.

[quote name='Omatsei']Let's even mix it up a bit more. Let's say I lucked out, and got chosen to be a beta tester of new, unreleased consumer electronics, and I got the PS4 3 months before it was released. Let's also say, hypothetically, that it was the worst console ever known to man, but the hype was through the roof. (By worst console, I mean Atari 2600-style graphics, controller with 1 button... really horrible shit, but they somehow managed to get the hype raised to astronomical levels). How many of you would want to know that you should save your $1000 before you stand in line for 12 hours hoping to get yours?[/quote]

Beta tests usually force you to agree to a non-disclosure agreement.

Not to mention that you're essentially vivifying the whole "passing judgment on an unfinished product" argument that many people have pointed out before me.

Nobody's forcing consumers to decide immediately when to purchase a game or system. Wait a day. Wait a week. Wait a month. Wait until you're certain that it's worth your money. Like everything else in the CAG universe, you're either waiting a bit longer or working a little harder to get the most value for your money.

I see no value in potentially pissing off a bunch of game publishers with something that could be prevented outright. With "cease and desist" notices being handed out like Subway coupons these days, it's not the legality of what you did; it's how easily the lawyers and lobbyists can convince a geriatric judge (who thinks that video games are Satan-on-a-circuitboard) that what you're doing is wrong.

I know what I do is not the norm. But if I am 50 / 50% on a game, I really like to try out certain features of it first.
I'm not sure I'll like this chicken marsala on the menu. Could you quickly grab a piece from the kitchen for me to eat, and then I'll decide if I want to order it?

[quote name='zewone']Piracy is crime.
img27.jpg
img30.jpg

I vote no.

lol[/quote]

Lol. Nice.
I say, if CD's & DVD's are 'okay' for most people to 'illegally' download. Why not games?

[quote name='firetorespawn_']
I say, if CD's & DVD's are 'okay' for most people to 'illegally' download. Why not games?[/QUOTE]

That isn't okay for most people.

What Cheapy is asking is the same as if Roger Ebert was using bootlegged copies of movies to review. At the very least it would present CAG in an unprofessional light.

[quote name='yukine']You think anyone considers a site called Cheap Ass Gamer as professional?[/quote]

This.

What is great about CAG is great atmosphere and cool community. If I want super strict professionals only professional reviews for professional people who want things professionally reviewed, I will go to NeoGAF or another lame ass site like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back