Da 808 State

demo808

CAGiversary!
I don't know if there is already one for Hawaii.

So for all of you who live in the 808 state. Post any information you would like to share pertaining to deals and upcoming events that is going around the island.

Please only informations that deals with GAMING.

Here's is an update for GS:

A new GS by Safeway in town just opened up and they are doing a B2G1 promo. Don't know how long that will last but they just started this week.

[quote name='boneless']What part of CA are you in? I go there about 4x a year for work mostly L.A. area.[/QUOTE]

I'm up north.

[quote name='person123']Anyone able to pickup Dead Island @ TRU? I was hoping to pick it up this week with the $25 gc but they've been OOS for awhile now.[/QUOTE]

I tried out a used 360 copy from GS and wasn't very impressed. I'll wait for a steam winter sale and hope the PC version is better. Seemed kinda clunky and needed more time to refine it.

[quote name='btt']Sears Pearlridge has additional 75% off clearance games.
Picked up Darksiders, Dragon Age, and White Knight Chronicles all on PS3 for 17.23 total.
There's several copies of each left.

On a side note which one of you CAGs went there this Saturday and hoarded out the whole lot and looked up TIVs for flipping purposes? All I have to say is...GREAT USE OF GIRLFRIEND/WIFE. She was carrying like 20+ games for you! /claps[/QUOTE]

ah man, I wish I saw this post. I work by Pearlridge and ever check the Sears there because they haven't dropped prices in ages.

Any of you guys even tried the K-Mart Gamer promos? I remember a few months ago I went to the Stadium one on a Thursday and they didn't have any of the new games that were released on the usual Tuesday in stock so I never bothered to go back.

I was there today and was going to ask the same thing. I didn't have a lot of faith in our K-mart and employees to get the deals right anyway so I normally don't bother. I'm going with the BB 5/$100 deal as of now, but that last Gears deal sounded really good.

[quote name='Raye']Any of you guys even tried the K-Mart Gamer promos? I remember a few months ago I went to the Stadium one on a Thursday and they didn't have any of the new games that were released on the usual Tuesday in stock so I never bothered to go back.[/QUOTE]

That Kmart is better stocked than the Iwilei one. I've always been able to find what I want while Iwilei is disorganized or not even there. I've never tried to pickup on release day although.

[quote name='boneless']That Kmart is better stocked than the Iwilei one. I've always been able to find what I want while Iwilei is disorganized or not even there. I've never tried to pickup on release day although.[/QUOTE]

To mention another one, Nimitz Kmart is terrible. I stopped by four times last Fall, and during three of the four times, an older male with a grey ponytail (for anonymity purposes, I'll call him Bob) was the only person in electronics. Bob was about as rude and unhelpful as he could possibly be on each visit, and on my last visit, Bob directly sabotaged my attempt to ask another employee if they could check inventory (after asking the other employee and having to manually track him down 40+ minutes later, he told me that he was told by Bob that I wasn't in electronics anymore. Nevermind that for the 20 minutes I was waiting in electronics, I saw Bob 15-20 feet away every time I looked around in boredom, or that I was in the same spot that the other employee left me in the entire time. I suppose that puts the inattentiveness of the other employee at fault as well, as he didn't think to check the spot he left me in, which was in clear view of the main aisle). Needless to say, I haven't gone back there since, nor do I intend to in the foreseeable future.

TL;DR - Nimitz Kmart should be avoided. In addition to the terrible customer experience, I only found the game I was looking for once out of four visits. Twice I checked on the day after release, twice at the end of the week. Saw no sign that the game was ever in stock when I visually inspected the case.

yeah that sounds about right. I hate that Kmart.

On a separate note, why does our Target not have any of these crazy clearance deals that people report in that Target thread? Or am I not finding it there every time I look? I asked a guy working there once and he said they don't do that for video games.

Haha, G33, I know who you're talking about. I dropped in once years ago when the PS2 began fading out and making way for the current gen systems and saw the same guy. Long story short, that K-Mart barely had anything worth buying.

We don't seem to get much in terms of deals, especially at Target. Don't know about you guys, but I find Target to be worst than Best Buy when it comes to stocking video games and even Blu-rays. I remember going in to the Salt Lake Target when they had that crazy Toy Story 1 and 2 deal and they didn't even have any of the titles in-stock on release day despite it being advertised. Don't think I'll ever buy a game from Target again anyway since there was a deal a few months back when Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was $30. There was only one copy left, and it was a pain in the ass to have to ask an employee to remove it from the shelf (since it was tied down). To make matters worse, they asked for my ID even though I clearly look like I'm over 18 years old and that copy was damaged. I only noticed that the back of the case was smashed upon exiting the store. -_-

Nimitz Kmart has one good staff, the feminine, transgender-ish dark complexion guy/girl? He actively tried to look for stuff for me before but could never find it so I don't fault him. There's another heavy polynesian women that was there one morning when the move games were $10 and she was helpful but I don't think that's her regular dept. Keep in mind though that early in the morning 7-8:00 or abouts there, the electronics section is cordoned off until they have someone working there or you need to request someone to help you. Needless to say that's a PITA.

Salt Lake Kmart has a really good guy. Tall, really skinny, almost sickly-looking worker that has never let me down and knows the titles of the games. I think his name was Brandon? I called once before too checking for stock and he seems aware of the coupons and sales.

I never had hope for Target clearance in Hawaii. Maybe it's too new, too busy, whatever.

Strolled through Pearlridge Sears to see what was left. Wasteland. Cleaned out pretty good, only random Hero games that no one wants. I wonder if I should check the Windward Mall one. Last time I went there, the guy in the electronics section said him and his co-workers check for the video game deals all the time. He randomly helped me scan some to check the prices if they were ringing up different and I watched him tuck a few away on the side for him to buy for himself later. After seeing that, I figure I wouldn't waste gas driving there since those guys would likely clean it out

Did you all see that flier/coupon for Best Buy in last Sunday's paper? There's a coupon for gift cards with qualifying purchases. Excludes a ton of stuff, but not video games (excludes video game hardware though). This is only valid @ Honolulu location.:

$5 GC w/$50; $10 GC w/$100; $25 GC w/$250

Same flier also states first 50 people @ Honolulu store tomorrow when it opens gets a $20 GC. Looks like they're trying to promote new renovations.

I was throwing out old newspapers and I grabbed the whole middle section with all the ads from all the stores. It was in there, but not with the Best Buy ad. It was separate. For sure it was last Sunday's as I recall my wife reading it and the front page had something about mold on it.

Went to BB at around 8:40 and there was a line already. I was bummed because as I was parking I saw a BB employee handing out vouchers. I got in line with my wife and the guy in front of me said he didn't get a voucher either, but the guy in front of him did. I had to pick up my Rage anyway so I just waited and when we got to the front, the BB employee looked at his manager and said "just keep giving them out? these guys have no vouchers." Manager said yep, give everyone. So me and my wife got one. Not bad, $40 in BB cards for nothing basically.Picked up my Rage and used the 10% discount code I got via SMS. I tried to stack the $5 for spending $50 and it wouldn't do it. So just took the discount. Overall not a bad deal.

[quote name='jbz']yeah that sounds about right. I hate that Kmart.

On a separate note, why does our Target not have any of these crazy clearance deals that people report in that Target thread? Or am I not finding it there every time I look? I asked a guy working there once and he said they don't do that for video games.[/QUOTE]

It is very very rare that K-mart Target Sears any of them have the deals they are supposed to. They follow different rules being in Hawaii. Along with KFC and fast food franchises. I know the cost is higher but these stores sell older games higher then anywhere on the island, internet or nation. I guess they figure there is money in awaii and eventually somebody will pay some stupid price for the product as they have money to burn. I would never ever buy a game from any of those places. EVER.

Oh yes and every one of those stores have stacks and stacks of old games from floor to ceiling and marked way higher then anywhere else, like I said before. Gee I wonder why? Oh yes and they have games mixed in on the floor in the open, many of them with no theft case at all. It is a good thing I am an honest person. Stpudi and greedy!!

I've found some deals at Sears in the past, but on a whole you're right. Hawaii is always the exception to deals it seems (and Alaska!).

If anyone is looking for Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) there were 2 at Salt Lake & Waikele KMarts for $19.99. I think that Costco had it for cheaper but I didn't see any in Waipio one when I was there.
Read about that price drop in the Kmart thread.

Nothing at Stadium Target except Red Fraction Guerrilla (PS3) for around $13. Hunted (PS3) was still $20.xx. IS THAT A THREAD REVIVAL I SMELL?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Anyone know how the Kmart on Kauai is with the coupon deals/ having the New released games in stock?[/QUOTE]

Not sure about how they are with new releases but all Kmarts print coupons as long as requirements are met.

So who's going Black Friday shopping?

To be honest, I've never officially gone. I went to Best Buy in Waimalu when it first opened and that was a total bust. I waited in line for about seven hours and walked out with nothing. After that, I stuck with staying home and relying on Amazon for everything. Though, I have to admit, with stuff like Uncharted 3 and Arkham City for good prices at Best Buy this year, I may try one more time. Heck, I may even brave Wal-Mart in Highlands with all the crazy people guaranteed to be there...

Like the last 2 years, I'll probably stick with Amazon. They price match quite a few items from Best Buy and Walmart so it makes sense.

I hate Wal-mart. It's a clusterfuck there even when it's not a big sale like Black Friday. I'm gonna go the Amazon route as well and hope they can match or come close to matching lot of these deals. I might also try ordering on Walmart.com and picking it up later in the day.

[quote name='jbz']I hate Wal-mart. It's a clusterfuck there even when it's not a big sale like Black Friday. I'm gonna go the Amazon route as well and hope they can match or come close to matching lot of these deals. I might also try ordering on Walmart.com and picking it up later in the day.[/QUOTE]
Does walmart.com actually let you pickup items in store? I tried ordering on walmart.com for instore pickup but it never lets me do it.

hmmm, that is true. I recall having issues with that before @ Hawaii Wal-marts. Only one way to find out I guess :)

Ya I tried to pickup at any location on Oahu from their website and it says no location within 50 miles is available for instore pickup...pretty junk if you ask me.

Side note anyone pickup AC:Revelations today @ Walmart it was $39.96 I believe nationwide, the PearlCity one had it at that price around 11AM, managed to pickup one for me and a friend.

Went to Target today too they had a bunch of clearance games (a lot like 30 harry potter deathly hallows p1 for Wii @ 5.98) at Salt Lake store, I was mainly there looking for Gears of War 3 I heard the limited edition or something was $19.96 on clearance but didn't see any there.

Target had clearance games? They never do it seems for us. I'll take a look tomorrow. I hope the Walmart price is still good, I wasn't able to get there tonight :(

[quote name='jbz']Target had clearance games? They never do it seems for us. I'll take a look tomorrow. I hope the Walmart price is still good, I wasn't able to get there tonight :([/QUOTE]

Target's pricing on clearance games lags behind the mainland prices but a lot of the same games are clearanced out.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed Revelations, this is what happened to me at Best Buy Iwilei today.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308363

[quote name='boneless']Nice. Now I feel bad for giving you those guides. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm a broke ass college student. You can probably find a way to write off your generous donation to me on your taxes. :lol:

I should have ordered another Brotherhood but now the deal is dead. Now I can't bridge the gap between Assassin's Creed 2 and Revelations. Not complaining though!

Anyone manage to pickup any 1cent game guides at BestBuy this week? Read that a bunch dropped and I went looking for LA Noire / Portal 2 but came up empty at Aiea, seems they got prepulled or someone wiped them out there heh.

[quote name='btt']I'm a broke ass college student. You can probably find a way to write off your generous donation to me on your taxes. :lol:

I should have ordered another Brotherhood but now the deal is dead. Now I can't bridge the gap between Assassin's Creed 2 and Revelations. Not complaining though![/QUOTE]

btt, you got a job, so quit complaining when you're buying ps3 games on launch day.:D

[quote name='person123']Anyone manage to pickup any 1cent game guides at BestBuy this week? Read that a bunch dropped and I went looking for LA Noire / Portal 2 but came up empty at Aiea, seems they got prepulled or someone wiped them out there heh.[/QUOTE]

Iwilei has been vigilant about pulling guides since forever, so just like Target clearance, I would forget about it.

Not gaming related but thought I would drop a post in case anyone is interested. A local on Slick Deals is reporting that Roku 2 XS is being sold at the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart for $50. Looks like it normally goes for around $98. The Roku allows you to stream content to your tv.

Anyone familiar with these? Worthwhile to get?

[quote name='redsoxfan808']Not gaming related but thought I would drop a post in case anyone is interested. A local on Slick Deals is reporting that Roku 2 XS is being sold at the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart for $50. Looks like it normally goes for around $98. The Roku allows you to stream content to your tv.

Anyone familiar with these? Worthwhile to get?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a Roku but got the Western Digital media player from costco about a yr ago for $100. They work well except the Roku doesn't have numbered/letter keypad on the remote so I dunno how it enters words when typing in show names,etc.. If you have a lot of stuff on a hard drive on your network or use Hulu plus, pandora, netflix, youtube, this is worthwhile to try out at least. Ideal scenario for this is no cable and using those programs I mentioned. The USB port would be great for attaching a external HD and having ripped bluray/DVD's to stream from. Or stream off your network from a media center/NAS. That means you hardly use your current cable or satellite at all currently.

But if you're getting a new tv soon, Samsungs tend to have these features on the SmartTV models so you'd be wasting your money. What are you planning to use it for is a better question?

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Mainly looking at this for the streaming capabilities. Sounds like there may not be much value added to a scenario where one has cable plus PS3 and/or Xbox 360. Although at $50, might be worthwhile to try it out. ;)

Let's all play fair at the blockbuster sale fellas. I'm sure there's enough to go around.

[quote name='btt']Let's all play fair at the blockbuster sale fellas. I'm sure there's enough to go around.[/QUOTE]

Alright...Now you realize by saying that...I have to put on my game face and go after your stores right? :lol:

[quote name='redsoxfan808']Thanks for the quick and informative reply. Mainly looking at this for the streaming capabilities. Sounds like there may not be much value added to a scenario where one has cable plus PS3 and/or Xbox 360. Although at $50, might be worthwhile to try it out. ;)[/QUOTE]

Your xbox and PS3 has the same streaming capabilities as the roku. the only thing missing is connecting a external HD directly to them. But you can get routers that have a USB connection to access a HD on your network. The roku was initially designed for people to stream netflix only and then it adapted into pandora, hulu plus, and the external hard drive part. In the end you probably pay about the same amount either way although the roku does look cool.:D

IMO, the roku is only worth it in your case to stream ripped movies from a HD across a network and $50 is a good price for that. Especially on a tv without the consoles. If you can live with that, go for it!

[quote name='btt']Let's all play fair at the blockbuster sale fellas. I'm sure there's enough to go around.[/QUOTE]

Please leave Kahala with some decent items :lol:

Anyone got anything good at BBV this weekend? I managed to get some games I've been looking to get.

On a side note has anyone traded into book off, I got some games I got from gamefly that im done playing and looking for somewhere to trade it in, the bestbuy values for these games are super low (like crysis 2 is $2 tiv at bby lol).

Never heard of book off, but I normally do my trade ins with Best Buy with the bonus. If not, it's to Amazon.

Went to Target yesterday and today and it looks like they restocked their clearance game shelves. They had some decent games, but I didn't pick anything up. I've seen cheaper prices at some point, but there were some decent deals. Go check it out if you guys are in the area. Lots of DS/3DS games too.

Went to Kahala BBV last night and picked up 5 games for $30. Dragon Age II (PS3), Bulletstorm LE (PS3), Resistance 2, Super Street Fighter IV (360) and Transformers War for Cybertron (360). At $6 each I'm pretty happy with that haul. The girl helping me said they pull games and put it for sale all the time so the selection might change up. Happy hunting

[quote name='person123']Anyone got anything good at BBV this weekend? I managed to get some games I've been looking to get.

On a side note has anyone traded into book off, I got some games I got from gamefly that im done playing and looking for somewhere to trade it in, the bestbuy values for these games are super low (like crysis 2 is $2 tiv at bby lol).[/QUOTE]I've traded into the Pearlridge Bookoff store. Outside of that store, they had bonus trade-ins for certain games, such as $40 for certain games. That was a while back though and I haven't been there for a while. If I'm not mistaken, they follow Amazon's trade values.

[quote name='jbz']Went to Target yesterday and today and it looks like they restocked their clearance game shelves. They had some decent games, but I didn't pick anything up. I've seen cheaper prices at some point, but there were some decent deals. Go check it out if you guys are in the area. Lots of DS/3DS games too.

Went to Kahala BBV last night and picked up 5 games for $30. Dragon Age II (PS3), Bulletstorm LE (PS3), Resistance 2, Super Street Fighter IV (360) and Transformers War for Cybertron (360). At $6 each I'm pretty happy with that haul. The girl helping me said they pull games and put it for sale all the time so the selection might change up. Happy hunting[/QUOTE]

I saw those on Fri but passed. Lucky you I guess! There wasn't really anything I wanted, just browsing.

BTW, I went to BB this afternoon and saw 6 people camping for BF already! Is it one of you people?!? :applause:

I seen someone camping at the Aiea one on Monday when I was there picking up some games, employees said those people were there since Saturday o_O

I think all the stuff I am going to get for BF is going to be online.

bread's done
Back