Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
can't wait to see what the 'key' / code is used for :X

also, is it sad that i'm still skeptical the CE upgrade won't register since i pre-ordered this morning? even though it assures me otherwise. -_-

[quote name='havuk']you obviously didn't get the DS CE , it included a mini guide and it was very thourough, i sold mine on ebay for $100 (just the mini guide... I don't even understand why you're interested with your piss poor attitude.[/QUOTE]
I did actually. My point though was that if they describe it as "mini" it's probably not mini as in just the size but also the thickness. You could be exactly right I don't know I just wouldn't get my hopes up. I also wouldn't market a game with a "mini" strategy guide if it was like the Demons Souls guide.

Edit: Didnt even read the part about my piss poor attitude lol...I see how it comes off like that but nope I cant wait for it. Like I said I just wouldn't get my hopes up for the extra stuff.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I did actually. My point though was that if they describe it as "mini" it's probably not mini as in just the size but also the thickness. You could be exactly right I don't know I just wouldn't get my hopes up. I also wouldn't market a game with a "mini" strategy guide if it was like the Demons Souls guide.

Edit: Didnt even read the part about my piss poor attitude lol...I see how it comes off like that but nope I cant wait for it. Like I said I just wouldn't get my hopes up for the extra stuff.[/QUOTE]

I can't think of how else to describe the Demon's Souls guide except "mini". I think you're reading way too much into it. I expect it to be just like the Demon's Souls guide.

[quote name='ShockandAww']http://www.preparetodie.com

The java code makes them all light up. If you aren't cheating only the first one lights up then you're on your own. You basically have to cheat in some manner to do it.[/QUOTE]
Oh, haha. I thought it didn't do anything because when I typed it in nothing happened immediately. In that case, thank you very much for posting the javascript cheat. Got a string of numbers in my email now for....something.

[quote name='Kanelly']I can't think of how else to describe the Demon's Souls guide except "mini". I think you're reading way too much into it. I expect it to be just like the Demon's Souls guide.[/QUOTE]
I'd just describe it as a "strategy guide" like they did with Demon's Souls :). It'd just be extremely poor marketing to describe it as mini because of it's size length/height-wise.

[quote name='Tgebbs']

also, is it sad that i'm still skeptical the CE upgrade won't register since i pre-ordered this morning? even though it assures me otherwise. -_-[/QUOTE]

Yup they're going to lie about it blatantly just to steal your monies!!!!! FOOLS!

With Amazon finally posting a confirmation I bit on this. Maybe not liking the first had something to do with the fact that we just had our first Son when I rented it, lol. I have a little more patience now that we have two and they are taking fairly regular naps. Plus if this thing jumps in value like the first I never mind making money off of game purchases (just made a $21 net gain of off Brink).

[quote name='ShockandAww']I'd just describe it as a "strategy guide" like they did with Demon's Souls :). It'd just be extremely poor marketing to describe it as mini because of it's size length/height-wise.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there were a lot of complaints about that tiny guide not being labeled as mini so they decided to do it this time around.

Honestly, the metal case is all it takes to sell me. The fact there's any kind of added physical merchandise inside only makes it better.

Here's hoping we get another thorough, complete guide (albeit with miniature dimensions!)

[quote name='ShockandAww']I did actually. My point though was that if they describe it as "mini" it's probably not mini as in just the size but also the thickness. You could be exactly right I don't know I just wouldn't get my hopes up. I also wouldn't market a game with a "mini" strategy guide if it was like the Demons Souls guide.

Edit: Didnt even read the part about my piss poor attitude lol...I see how it comes off like that but nope I cant wait for it. Like I said I just wouldn't get my hopes up for the extra stuff.[/QUOTE]

it's all good, things can be easily taken the wrong way in text ;)

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Except in that case it wasn't an issue of aggro. There was no getting off the cliff once you jumped down. It was a severe lack of space to move anywhere that killed me.

Again, yes I chose to play that way and follow the build that was suggested but I didn't grind to up my stamina or anything. I never said I wanted DS to be an action game (I knew exactly what I was getting into having played their earlier games), but I've never been a fan of putting limitations on the player as a gameplay "feature." Same reason I hate the Resident Evil series; they're fine if you like that style of game, I just don't.

Thinning them out also wasn't a preference on my part. My character at that point literally could not survive hits from 4/5 enemies at that place. IIRC I was using a Purple Flame Shield and some spear. The enemies don't appear until you land, and when they do appear they're on both sides of your character so to even try to block/parry both sides you needed to position your character's back against the wall, and the camera would explode. Missing a block meant 1/2 of my health was gone. Of course the movement/control design was deliberate, but again I don't enjoy slow/tank-like controls.

>> This isn't a discussion thread about DS though... Whatever, I have this pre-ordered and I hope they at least polished some stuff up from the original.[/QUOTE]
I think I know the area you are talking about, the first area of world 5 with the ladders which leads down to a place with a fog gate? It was possible to shoot with the bow and arrow, but only through the hole you can climb down / fall through. I could usually thin the herd out a little by locking on with the bow/magic, but some would position where you couldn't shoot them. If I remember right, if you can't shoot them they are far enough away to climb down the ladder and attack.

Unless you are talking about the leap of faith into the haystack where two of them are doing...something and then pop out to attack you. Can't think of any other places where you drop down and can't get back up in World 5 where there is no room to move.

I think a haystack sounds familiar but idk, I played it at release then sold my CE of it a few weeks after. IIRC I was playing something else at the time, and my patience with DS just stopped and I switched over to playing something else. All I know is that I shouldn't have been there for how leveled I was, but whatever the hell "perfect playthrough" guide said to go there and grab some item or another.

So, if I can get really frustrated with games, and am not all that good at them, should I still consider this? Also, can anyone relate this to something? I have no idea what it is like.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']So, if I can get really frustrated with games, and am not all that good at them, should I still consider this? Also, can anyone relate this to something? I have no idea what it is like.[/QUOTE]

Watch some trailers? As for the frustration, some members have compared it to the days of the NES games that don't hold your hand

Preordered a PS3 copy from GameStop today to match my Demon's Souls Collector's Edition. I'm hoping that they will really make do on their promise.

the only reason to get this on 360 (based off how demons souls online was) you would have the ability to voice chat with blue phantoms. However, some may consider the ability to talk and plan attacks may take away fun.

In for a ps3 copy

[quote name='gotdott']Watch some trailers? As for the frustration, some members have compared it to the days of the NES games that don't hold your hand[/QUOTE]

That doesn't really help, though. I mean, how does the game play? Is it an RPG? Horror? Hack 'n Slash? What's it comparable to? God of War? Oblivion? These are the things I want to know, and you can't really get that from a trailer. Really looking for some input from someone who played Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']That doesn't really help, though. I mean, how does the game play? Is it an RPG? Horror? Hack 'n Slash? What's it comparable to? God of War? Oblivion? These are the things I want to know, and you can't really get that from a trailer. Really looking for some input from someone who played Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

ummmm......watch a playthrough on youtube then. Not that difficult.

[quote name='Junkyard Jeff']ummmm......watch a playthrough on youtube then. Not that difficult.[/QUOTE]

Gotta say, don't know why people post if they're not going to be helpful. Just a stupid waste of both of our time. You could have easily helped me out in the time it took you to think of your "comeback" and post. But, hey, whatevs.

*Edit* You already had the question so you really "could" look it up. It's an action hack and slash, but a physical weighty fighter, not flashy combos.

Here's the thing about the difficulty. It's not unfair, or glitched, or broken, or cheap. It's just difficult. Oh you don't want to block an attack and rather trade hits? You're dead. Don't want to skirt past a trap and rely on luck? You're dead. Try to take on 5 guys at once rather than lure them into a hall or pick them off? You're dead.

Ontop of that, when you die, you go back. In Demon's souls, most levels had shortcuts you would eventually unlock, a gate you open or a bridge you might lower, so you don't do the entire thing over again, but otherwise you would start every level from the beginning when you died. You lost all xp that wasn't spent on you, which also doubles as money, but could reacquire it if you got back there. If you die again, you lost whatever you had on you before the 1st death(1st death pile) forever.

It's brutal and fairly unforgiving, but if you play the game correctly and learn from your mistakes, of which will be many, you get through it. There might be a few trial and error spots which are probably the worst the game does to you in a truly unfair fashion. I'm not great at games. I don't play DMC or NG on super hard difficulties, I'm barely ok at normal. I play hard on only the easier games, like batman =) but I got through DS with actually not too much frustration, but playing with friends helped. Learning and switching off with each other I think made it more fun. You just have to relearn how to play games, if you don't follow their rules....you die.

I'm on the fence about this. I have Demon's Souls but only beat Phalanax (or whatever the first blob boss's name is) and was raped by Tower Knight. Can't say I've dedicated myself to the game, but based on the five hours of it that I played, it's hard as heck (for me) and not my kind of game. However, the overall design, concept, and story keep me intrigued and make me want to retry this game again when I have time in the summer. Perhaps as time draws closer and I actually progress further into Demon's Souls, I'll make a decision...

[quote name='Vortextk']*Edit* You already had the question so you really "could" look it up. It's an action hack and slash, but a physical weighty fighter, not flashy combos.

Here's the thing about the difficulty. It's not unfair, or glitched, or broken, or cheap. It's just difficult. Oh you don't want to block an attack and rather trade hits? You're dead. Don't want to skirt past a trap and rely on luck? You're dead. Try to take on 5 guys at once rather than lure them into a hall or pick them off? You're dead.

Ontop of that, when you die, you go back. In Demon's souls, most levels had shortcuts you would eventually unlock, a gate you open or a bridge you might lower, so you don't do the entire thing over again, but otherwise you would start every level from the beginning when you died. You lost all xp that wasn't spent on you, which also doubles as money, but could reacquire it if you got back there. If you die again, you lost whatever you had on you before the 1st death(1st death pile) forever.

It's brutal and fairly unforgiving, but if you play the game correctly and learn from your mistakes, of which will be many, you get through it. There might be a few trial and error spots which are probably the worst the game does to you in a truly unfair fashion. I'm not great at games. I don't play DMC or NG on super hard difficulties, I'm barely ok at normal. I play hard on only the easier games, like batman =) but I got through DS with actually not too much frustration, but playing with friends helped. Learning and switching off with each other I think made it more fun. You just have to relearn how to play games, if you don't follow their rules....you die.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!! This is what I needed. I will definitely consider a preorder, then!

BTW, I did look it up, but didn't find anything like this. I'm glad you could share your opinion. Thanks!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']So, if I can get really frustrated with games, and am not all that good at them, should I still consider this? Also, can anyone relate this to something? I have no idea what it is like.[/QUOTE]

I'd say its very similar to Monster Hunter in the sense that you have to learn how to handle enemies and wait for openings. Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls based on previews) is very sink or swim, the tutorial is bare bones at best, and the game favors careful calculated play over brute force. So I'd ask myself these questions before deciding if this is a game to check out:

Do I regularly play games on the hardest difficulty and enjoy doing so?
Can I handle dieing repeatedly until I learn from my mistakes?
Can I handle being killed in 2-3 hits and/or being stun-locked to death?
Is dieing and repeating an entire 30 min to 1 hour level (enemies respawn) something I'm capable of dealing with?

And that's just from my 14 hours of playing Demon's Souls (I started playing 3-4 days ago).

[quote name='ssjmichael']Demon's Souls CE says hello[/QUOTE]

Demon Souls CE was much more rare. You think that the collector's edition will be rare if all preorders are getting upgraded?

[quote name='Vinny']Now these are the types of special edition I support. Some actual, physical bonuses rather than some DLC bullshit, for basically buying it day one and no added premium.

I wasn't going to get this game but no way am I passing up a free special edition.

EDIT* Holy crap, even comes in a metal case![/QUOTE]

this.. makes me wish i gave 2 craps about the game. I never played demon souls, it didnt apeal to me at all. THe constant online aspect and the absurdly unfairly hard design.. meh. I think this is more of the same so i just am not interested. I wish i was, because this is a nice cheap CE

[quote name='Kilvas09']Art book+game guide+soundtrack+behind the scenes+special casing
and none of it is that voucher crap?

Most defiantly in for a PS3 copy[/QUOTE]

Well the soundtrack is supposed to be a DD, so that will be a voucher at least. Not sure on the making of.

[quote name='Raye']I'm on the fence about this. I have Demon's Souls but only beat Phalanax (or whatever the first blob boss's name is) and was raped by Tower Knight.[/QUOTE]

You took on Tower Knight right after Phalanx? No wonder you got raped. Go back to the Nexus and visit Stonefang Tunnel or level up in the early part of the Shrine of Storms. Don't try taking on Tower Knight until much later in the game.

Yeah that's another thing, DS doesn't tell you where to go next. After you beat the first boss, most of the world opens up. But some areas have far more dangerous enemies than others. Explore, get killed, and learn where you can and can't survive and level up.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']That doesn't really help, though. I mean, how does the game play? Is it an RPG? Horror? Hack 'n Slash? What's it comparable to? God of War? Oblivion? These are the things I want to know, and you can't really get that from a trailer. Really looking for some input from someone who played Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]
Action RPG so combat is in real time (like Diablo or Oblivion), it uses the lock-on combat mechanics of Zelda: Orcarina of Time and has an over the shoulder perspective.

This is my favorite video review of Demon's Souls, give it a watch and it should explain the basics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnyVo3XWqV0
[quote name='Raye']I'm on the fence about this. I have Demon's Souls but only beat Phalanax (or whatever the first blob boss's name is) and was raped by Tower Knight. Can't say I've dedicated myself to the game, but based on the five hours of it that I played, it's hard as heck (for me) and not my kind of game. However, the overall design, concept, and story keep me intrigued and make me want to retry this game again when I have time in the summer. Perhaps as time draws closer and I actually progress further into Demon's Souls, I'll make a decision...[/QUOTE]
Progression is kinda weird in Demon's Souls, rather than world 1 being the easiest then world 2 the next hardest, etc. up to world 5; the first level of each of the five worlds is approximately the same difficulty. So it is recommended that you clear the first area of each world, then the second area of each world, then the 3rd area of each world, and finally the 4th area of world 1.

[quote name='Flesseck']Demon's Souls was a PS exclusive right? Sick, the sequel is going multiplatform. :)[/QUOTE]

"Spiritual" sequel. Sony owns the Demon's Souls trademark.

I'm in for a PS3 copy. I've yet to play Demon's Souls, but hopefully I'll find time after PSN is back up. Maybe I'll order another copy later to keep sealed for my collection. Or maybe I'll order a EU copy, because I'd like a physical soundtrack CD.

[quote name='Vortextk']*Edit* You already had the question so you really "could" look it up. It's an action hack and slash, but a physical weighty fighter, not flashy combos.

Here's the thing about the difficulty. It's not unfair, or glitched, or broken, or cheap. It's just difficult. Oh you don't want to block an attack and rather trade hits? You're dead. Don't want to skirt past a trap and rely on luck? You're dead. Try to take on 5 guys at once rather than lure them into a hall or pick them off? You're dead....[/QUOTE]

Well stated description Vortextk. I have had long discussions with friends regarding this game and "fairness". Our conclusion is that the game is brutally fair. To that point, I mean that it will punish you for being lazy or stupid. Use your brain and you will be rewarded.

[quote name='chunlirocks']So the UK version gets an actual physical copy of the OST ?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it... that picture in the OP from the official website is very misleading. Although physical copies are shown, descriptions say the soundtrack and making of video are digital downloads. But it also sounds like the European version will come in a non-metal box.

I'm not sure which one to get now... I'll wait for more info to be revealed before I switch.:whistle2:k

I really like this way of pre ordering. Getting extras for being a day one customer is a great idea. While I loved Portal 2, seeing it for almost half price a week after I paid full price was a bit upsetting.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Action RPG so combat is in real time (like Diablo or Oblivion), it uses the lock-on combat mechanics of Zelda: Orcarina of Time and has an over the shoulder perspective.

This is my favorite video review of Demon's Souls, give it a watch and it should explain the basics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnyVo3XWqV0

Progression is kinda weird in Demon's Souls, rather than world 1 being the easiest then world 2 the next hardest, etc. up to world 5; the first level of each of the five worlds is approximately the same difficulty. So it is recommended that you clear the first area of each world, then the second area of each world, then the 3rd area of each world, and finally the 4th area of world 1.[/QUOTE]

This was great thanks! Totally sold on this game if it's anything like the first.

Demon's Souls is one of the most over-rated games in terms of it being difficult. Yeah, it's difficult if you just keep sprinting to your death over and over. However, if you take it slow, it's not that bad at all.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Demon's Souls is one of the most over-rated games in terms of it being difficult. Yeah, it's difficult if you just keep sprinting to your death over and over. However, if you take it slow, it's not that bad at all.[/QUOTE]

but..but..its a breathe of fresh air in the gaming industry man!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Demon's Souls is one of the most over-rated games in terms of it being difficult. Yeah, it's difficult if you just keep sprinting to your death over and over. However, if you take it slow, it's not that bad at all.[/QUOTE]

You kind of explained yourself why it is difficult for a majority of people. If all you are used to playing is twitch run and gun games, changing to playing slow and smart isn't the easiest thing. I don't necessarily want every game to be Battletoads ball crushingly difficult, but in the same manner I can only play so many Bulletstorms before I kind of yearn for a game that actually requires you to play precisely and learn.

[quote name='bic']but..but..its a breathe of fresh air in the gaming industry man![/QUOTE]

Let me be clear. I was only talking about the difficulty of the game. Demon's Souls is tied with LBP as my favorite PS3 game.

[quote name='croqoa']You kind of explained yourself why it is difficult for a majority of people. If all you are used to playing is twitch run and gun games, changing to playing slow and smart isn't the easiest thing. I don't necessarily want every game to be Battletoads ball crushingly difficult, but in the same manner I can only play so many Bulletstorms before I kind of yearn for a game that actually requires you to play precisely and learn.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's something I've been noticin a lot lately, even in reviews. People want to play games like how they've been playing other games rather than learning the best way to play that specific game.

[quote name='enemyofusall']does anyone know if this will let you pause? My biggest issue with the first :([/QUOTE]

We don't know since the game is not out yet and its probably not on the top of a list of things to cover in a preview from game sites.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Where does it say on Amazon that it is the collector's edition?[/QUOTE]

Says it right on the page next to the box art:

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Upgrade
Order Dark Souls and receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge. The CE will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case. No action is required to receive this upgrade on existing pre-orders.

[quote name='enemyofusall']does anyone know if this will let you pause? My biggest issue with the first :([/QUOTE]

Probably not since it will still have persistent online features.

[quote name='Purkeynator']We don't know since the game is not out yet and its probably not on the top of a list of things to cover in a preview from game sites.[/QUOTE]

I think it actually might be on top of the list since most hated that about the first one.

bread's done
Back