Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigsick']is this game pretty much aka demon souls 2? I'm just referring to the difficulty. I liked demon souls but it was too hard for me.[/QUOTE]

It's the spiritual successor since Sony owns part of the publishing rights to the Demon's Souls IP.

The glyph puzzle mentioned is on preparetodie.com

Definitely preordering this. Just need to decide on PS3 vs 360.

360 pro:
More friends on 360, including nephew who really loved DS1 but doesn't have PS3.

360 con:
Will any of them put aside Call of Gears of Halo long enough to play this?

PS3 pro:
Might look/feel better than 360 version, have to wait and see.

PS3 con:
Um... Might miss out on online component if PSN isn't back up by then. (Heh, sorry, couldn't resist.)

Just wait a year and this special edition will cost $19.99 just because the game is so hard and boring for most of the people that it will sell bad xD

Sigh, I don't know what to do with this. I rented Demon's Souls (and it is Demon's Souls...) back when I had a PS3 and I really wanted to like it. I mean there's not many games out there that I really want to like, are getting decent reviews, and I just can't get into...but this was one of them. I don't mind when a game is hard, but I do not like it when the controls feel clunky and deaths feel cheap in the process. To me (maybe your opinion is different) the controls just weren't good enough for the type of difficulty they were trying to accomplish (very hard, but not cheap, and very rewarding).

In the same light as the first game I really want to like this one too. Maybe if they fix some parts of it I'd really like it. IMO they need to tighten up the controls (I don't need a DMC type control scheme or anything) and make the task of reclaiming your soul a little better. Another thing is I'd like some better direction in the game. In the first one I felt like I was wondering around lost with no point or purpose at all. Maybe that's because since I rented it I didn't have the booklet to read I don't know...just felt directionless.

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']That's not very clear. None of the links to those sites say you get the collectors edition. The links even include GameFly. Since when does GameFly sell collectors editions?[/QUOTE]
Well I would assume Amazon and Gamestop both would. Plus you can always cancel an amazon preorder with ease. I guess it's implied that every copy from those retailers preordered would be the collectors edition.

Either way I will probably be preordering it soon, just so I can lock in the collectors edition and who knows, maybe down the line credit from Amazon? One can hope.

[quote name='Kurow']Just wait a year and this special edition will cost $19.99 just because the game is so hard and boring for most of the people that it will sell bad xD[/QUOTE]

Look at Demon's Souls CE... that's not $20 now.

For anyone that just wants to be done with that god damn glyph puzzle:
go to the glyph puzzle and enter this in your browser bar: javascript:var n = function() {setInterval(mg.hint, 2000)}; n()
thanks to InfernoSD on the gamespot forums.

Regarding controls, I think the controls in Demon's Souls were actually amazingly good, so much so that I have a hard time playing games like Dragon Age 2 where it's an action system, but the characters' movements are just so wonky. Demon's Souls' controls feel like you're controlling a human character. There's definitely a learning curve to the movement, but once you harness it, it feels so right. After my fourth playthrough, I barely got hit by anything I knew my characters' movements so well. You move like I'd expect an armored (or unarmored) character to move; it was very organic to me.

I put so many hours in Demon's Souls, so I can't wait for this one. It's not as difficult a game as people make it out to be. For your first playthrough, it's pretty tough. But with blue phantoms and whatnot, it becomes so much more manageable. It's like Super Meat Boy: when you go back and play older levels, you see just how good you've gotten at the game and how far you've come. That's a sign of GOOD difficulty, in my opinion. You can't just hack and slash your way to victory in Demon's Souls; you have to learn enemy movements, know enemy tendencies, know your characters' movements, and be aware of the environment. I've never played a game that made me feel like I was actually dueling something/someone--it's as much a mental battle as it is physical.

I put in an order, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I started demon soul's last night and put in a few hours, but it wasn't doing much for me. The difficulty wasn't an issue; I enjoy a challenge. I just didn't seem to be having fun. Does it get better/should I keep playing?

[quote name='Maromi']

I put so many hours in Demon's Souls, so I can't wait for this one. It's not as difficult a game as people make it out to be. For your first playthrough, it's pretty tough. But with blue phantoms and whatnot, it becomes so much more manageable. It's like Super Meat Boy: when you go back and play older levels, you see just how good you've gotten at the game and how far you've come. That's a sign of GOOD difficulty, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it's like playing a lot of classic games. You will die fucking often but once you learn the game, it becomes much easier. This is why I also love Demon Souls, it's not like a lot of today's games where they hold your hand every second with regenerating health, or easy enemies, etc. Demon Souls is a true game which you feel a sense of accomplishment after you beat it.

[quote name='Tracid']What are you talking about? I'm not that far in Demon's Souls...or are you talking about a web game?[/QUOTE]

Not my solution, but works on firefox:

Just enter this into your address bar while on that page:
javascript:var n = function() {setInterval(mg.hint, 2000)}; n()

This flashes the next glyph you are supposed to click.

FYI - for those asking about the disparities between the description and the image (i.e. no steelbook, physical soundtrack disc) - the item in the image is actually the European Collector's Edition.

Europe's CE does include a physical soundtrack CD as opposed to the digital distro one. Oddly, the European CE hasn't mentioned anything about steel packaging though (even though Europe gets far more SteelBook CEs than we do).

I was about to pre-order the European one until I saw this. I prefer a steelbook (even if it's not an official SteelBook) case and a digital soundtrack over a regular case and physical soundtrack. I'd prefer a steelbook AND a soundtrack CD... but for free this is a FAR better pre-order CE than the DA2 one was.

In for 1 PS3 copy. Thanks OP.

[quote name='jacobeid']I put in an order, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I started demon soul's last night and put in a few hours, but it wasn't doing much for me. The difficulty wasn't an issue; I enjoy a challenge. I just didn't seem to be having fun. Does it get better/should I keep playing?[/QUOTE]

Keep playing, it does get better. I enjoyed the beginning but it took a while before it completely hooked me.

[quote name='ShockandAww']For anyone that just wants to be done with that god damn glyph puzzle:
go to the glyph puzzle and enter this in your browser bar: javascript:var n = function() {setInterval(mg.hint, 2000)}; n()
thanks to InfernoSD on the gamespot forums.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, got my unlock code. It would have been really tedious doing it the "proper" way.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Gonna be harder according to the devs[/QUOTE]
I hope so. The first game was mostly beginner's traps and got easy once you knew everything. It would be nice to see them change layouts each playthrough to keep you on your toes.

[quote name='kidrocklive']what is this glyph puzzle everybody keeps talking about?[/QUOTE]

It took me awhile to find it on the site, but when you go to preparetodie.com, the bricks on the the side of the demon knight are glyphs. Click around on the bricks until one lights up.

You have to click 30? in a row I think to get your key code. Too many wrong clicks and you're locked out.

I recommend you use the java script cheat others have posted earlier in this thread, cause there's no way in hell I'd be able to do that on my own. That will flash the next brick in the sequence so you know which one to click next,

[quote name='darkjedi187']Whats the unlock code good for? from the glyph puzzle that is[/QUOTE]

Dunno. But here's the email it sent.

Congratulations, great knight! You have proven yourself worthy by arranging the glyphs in the correct order.

For your perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul. xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Keep this Key safe, as it may only be used once.

Take heed to not become overconfident, for even the mightiest warrior can be brought to his knees.
Onward to battle!

Dark Souls

[quote name='henryVIII']It took me awhile to find it on the site, but when you go to preparetodie.com, the bricks on the the side of the demon knight are glyphs. Click around on the bricks until one lights up.

You have to click 30? in a row I think to get your key code. Too many wrong clicks and you're locked out.

I recommend you use the java script cheat others have posted earlier in this thread, cause there's no way in hell I'd be able to do that on my own. That will flash the next brick in the sequence so you know which one to click next,[/QUOTE]

Got it thanks! Now to wonder what it is lol.

[quote name='darkjedi187']Whats the unlock code good for? from the glyph puzzle that is[/QUOTE]

Dunno. But here's the email it sent.

"Congratulations, great knight! You have proven yourself worthy by arranging the glyphs in the correct order.

For you perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul.

Keep this Key safe, as it may only be used once."

Ordered 1 360 1 PS3. Probably too early to know which version will be superior if any. I can always cancel one.

Couldn't get the javascript thing to work but the glyph game is easy. Once you start just keep clicking the ones that light up. 30 clicks is not so bad...

[quote name='randomthinker']Ordered 1 360 1 PS3. Probably too early to know which version will be superior if any. I can always cancel one.

Couldn't get the javascript thing to work but the glyph game is easy. Once you start just keep clicking the ones that light up. 30 clicks is not so bad...[/QUOTE]
i believe the javascript is what makes them light up after the first one. so yah, not so easy without it

[quote name='proKoyeon']i believe the javascript is what makes them light up after the first one. so yah, not so easy without it[/QUOTE]

oh :p

that makes sense.

This member of the Toughest Soul x3 platinum club has already preordered this game since it was announced. Pure joy.

Gonna wait til Amazon lists the LE....just to be safe. You never know, maybe they WILL have regular editions at launch, its 5 months away I think i can wait :)

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Gonna wait til Amazon lists the LE....just to be safe. You never know, maybe they WILL have regular editions at launch, its 5 months away I think i can wait :)[/QUOTE]

Bah, its probably going to be like Dragon Age II again. They just changed the cover art and description to the signature edition when that pre-order got 'upgraded'. Amazon made a new item entry for the non-believers, err non-preorders.

Look closely, and you'll see one glyph on the wall flashing. This is the main page. Once you click that, another one will start flashing. Just keep an eye out and click them when the glyph lights up. It's a really simple thing, I don't know why people would have to cheat to get it, unless they really can't tell which one is glowing yellow on the otherwise dark wall.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Where is this glyph puzzle everyone's talking about? I went to the site and I don't see anything[/QUOTE]

It's there, on the page with the knight - just hard to see. Input that javascript cheat and see some rocks blinking. Then click on that rock.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Where is this glyph puzzle everyone's talking about? I went to the site and I don't see anything[/QUOTE]
www.preparetodie.com

put in your age and it'll take you to a page with a knight; on either side of the knight there's glyphs hidden in the bricks. They're slightly hard to see.

[quote name='ithebigc']Look closely, and you'll see one glyph on the wall flashing. This is the main page. Once you click that, another one will start flashing. Just keep an eye out and click them when the glyph lights up. It's a really simple thing, I don't know why people would have to cheat to get it, unless they really can't tell which one is glowing yellow on the otherwise dark wall.[/QUOTE]
The java code makes them all light up. If you aren't cheating only the first one lights up then you're on your own. You basically have to cheat in some manner to do it.

[quote name='ithebigc']Look closely, and you'll see one glyph on the wall flashing. This is the main page. Once you click that, another one will start flashing. Just keep an eye out and click them when the glyph lights up. It's a really simple thing, I don't know why people would have to cheat to get it, unless they really can't tell which one is glowing yellow on the otherwise dark wall.[/QUOTE]
The java code makes them all light up. If you aren't cheating only the first one lights up then you're on your own. You basically have to cheat in some manner to do it.

I am hoping that by "mini" guide they mean the guide is not magazine-sized as is typical but is more the length / width dimensions of a book and thus would fit inside the metal case.

I got the code... but what's it for?

[quote name='guardian_owl']I am hoping that by "mini" guide they mean the guide is not magazine-sized as is typical but is more the length / width dimensions of a book and thus would fit inside the metal case.[/QUOTE]

From the looks of it, yes, it'll fit inside the metal case. It'll probably be much like the one included with Demon's Souls DE.

Just had Amazon add this to my gaming order. I'm actually pumped for a game for the first time in a year lol. Even though Dark Souls is a successor, it's such a breath of fresh air in a sea of sequels (Assassin's Greed, Yawncharted, Gears of Bore, etc). I think between this and Twisted Metal, everything else will get sidelined.

bread's done
Back