Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cameron4All']That is exactly the issue.
Atlus has a reputation of putting out very niech games, and they seem to treat their customers very well. For that reason we want to support them as much as possible to ensure that treatment and those games keep coming.[/QUOTE]

huh? People are saying they're not buying this game used to support Atlus. This game has nothing to do with Atlus. I'd say such people (like the poster above) didn't realize that, rather than thinking they're buying a niche title from another developer/publisher in order to somehow help Atlus indirectly. Demon's Souls sold much better than expected, and Dark Souls will sell well too, so this really doesn't have much of an impact on Atlus directly, or even indirectly.

its simple man the point is if atlus was the one publishing this game and not namco bandai we would never have to worry on this digital bs stuff.

[quote name='ssjmichael']huh? People are saying they're not buying this game used to support Atlus. This game has nothing to do with Atlus. I'd say such people (like the poster above) didn't realize that, rather than thinking they're buying a niche title from another developer/publisher in order to somehow help Atlus indirectly. Demon's Souls sold much better than expected, and Dark Souls will sell well too, so this really doesn't have much of an impact on Atlus directly, or even indirectly.[/QUOTE]

No, I did realize that.
What I am saying is that people simply would have preferred to have had Atlus publish it in N.A. as opposed to Namco.
Now as far as "People are saying they're not buying this game used to support Atlus.", I have not got a clue. I did't get that from here and it does not make much sense to me anyway. Not sure what impact they would expect to be having on who. That just doesn't make sense.

bottom line is namco bandai is publishing and not Atlus. We have to deal with it. I plan on voting with my wallet and if the changes are significant come release time such as a combination of no steel case or physical guide, then I'm cancelling my pre-order. But basically even more simply, for me no physical guide equals no pre-order and wait for sale. Period.

Granted the demon's souls deluxe was $70, but everything about it was quality. Aside from the fading ink of the cover, it was amazing. Therefore, in some ways we shouldn't be surprised if Namco decides to give us less as release comes closer, but we can still be pissed as hell.

[quote name='lpfan41k']bottom line is namco bandai is publishing and not Atlus. We have to deal with it. I plan on voting with my wallet and if the changes are significant come release time such as a combination of no steel case or physical guide, then I'm cancelling my pre-order. But basically even more simply, for me no physical guide equals no pre-order and wait for sale. Period.

Granted the demon's souls deluxe was $70, but everything about it was quality. Aside from the fading ink of the cover, it was amazing. Therefore, in some ways we shouldn't be surprised if Namco decides to give us less as release comes closer, but we can still be pissed as hell.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Unless there is a real reason to keep the preorder, I will just get it at k-mart because it will have a launch deal. If there is no physical guide then I will get it at k-mart. I don't want to have to be reading my fucking computer for tips on the game.

[quote name='slowdive21']The more people to preorder, the less a company has to offer as incentive to purchase. That is what it comes down to.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming more people ordered than they expected and exceeded the budget they allotted for the CE extras.

I don't know how many "free upgrade to CE" releases they've been, but i can't imagine many had as many extras as this one. They really should have charged $20 extra for it

A question, I used some promo credit on this, I think the 10 from MVC3, if I cancel the preorder, will I get the credit back since it was suppose to expire on june 30?

[quote name='Xellos2099']A question, I used some promo credit on this, I think the 10 from MVC3, if I cancel the preorder, will I get the credit back since it was suppose to expire on june 30?[/QUOTE]

why dont you just add another game to the order, then cancel dark souls

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm assuming more people ordered than they expected and exceeded the budget they allotted for the CE extras.

I don't know how many "free upgrade to CE" releases they've been, but i can't imagine many had as many extras as this one. They really should have charged $20 extra for it[/QUOTE]

Is there even a regular release or will this be the only edition? Technically it is not a CE if they are all the same.

It just seems like they marketed it as a free upgrade to CE to generate more interest/buzz for the game. Once they had enough interest, they started cutting costs on the extras.

I could be wrong, but I can not find a regular version of the game listed anywhere.

[quote name='slowdive21']Is there even a regular release or will this be the only edition? Technically it is not a CE if they are all the same.

It just seems like they marketed it as a free upgrade to CE to generate more interest/buzz for the game. Once they had enough interest, they started cutting costs on the extras.

I could be wrong, but I can not find a regular version of the game listed anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but I think it's just pre-orders that get the CE. So it's possible whoever buys it from a retailer after it comes out will just get the game

honestly i wouldve gladly paid 70$ again if it was like the prior one something truelly collectible. its just sad that of all the collectors sets etc.. to come out over the past few years i can only think of 2 companies where it was well worth spending the money on release....atlus and xseed(ys and legend of heroes boxsets were really nice especially for the price.)

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm assuming more people ordered than they expected and exceeded the budget they allotted for the CE extras.

I don't know how many "free upgrade to CE" releases they've been, but i can't imagine many had as many extras as this one. They really should have charged $20 extra for it[/QUOTE]

Well, they didn't. Would it be better if instead of changing up the contents, they left it the same and jacked up the price?

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Well, they didn't. Would it be better if instead of changing up the contents, they left it the same and jacked up the price?[/QUOTE]

CAGs would still complain....:cry:

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Well, they didn't. Would it be better if instead of changing up the contents, they left it the same and jacked up the price?[/QUOTE]

That's right, they didn't. They're the one who decided to do this free upgrade. If you promise something, then you should deliver it- otherwise, it's bait and switch.

well I had one xbox and one ps3 copy preordered ( loved demon's souls so much ) wanted to play new one with all my friends and get the collectors items etc... for sure cancelling one of them for now no point in both versions.

I mean really to say their upping from a mini REAL guide to a digital version to "help" players is absurd... digital copy = litteraly worthless..

still going to get game day one and love every second of it but I only need one copy now 8)~

Glad i decided to wait to buy this game anyway. I had it preordered because i am a sucker for steelbook, but decided i could wait anyway and lo and behold...possibly no steelbook. I couldnt care less about the other extras though.

This thread is still alive? Wow.

You know something? I am probably going to be having far too much fun playing this game, and raging at subsequent death animations, to really give a fuck how many free things came with the game I was going to pre-order the standard edition of anyway.

That's what I don't get about this. It seems simple enough. If you were going to wait, fuck it, you have nothing to lose. If you were only preordering it because of what you assumed would be etched-in-stone extras, and you are salty, did you really lose anything?

I doubt it.

And of course, if you were going to pre-order it AYNWAY (and let's get real here, I am sure better than half of the whiners in here were) then you should be happy with anything extra you get, no matter how lame.

I mean... are you going to fucking set this fucker on a shelf and stare at it, or are you going to play it?

[quote name='Guilty']If you were only preordering it because of what you assumed would be etched-in-stone extras, and you are salty, did you really lose anything?
it?[/QUOTE]

"Hey guess what, that cool thing you were looking forward to turned out to be not much of anything."

No, Namco did not hit me over the head with a baseball bat and steal my wallet, but I'm canceling my pre-order and I'll probably end up getting the game used (as a matter of convenience, not bitterness).

[quote name='Guilty']This thread is still alive? Wow.

You know something? I am probably going to be having far too much fun playing this game, and raging at subsequent death animations, to really give a fuck how many free things came with the game I was going to pre-order the standard edition of anyway.

That's what I don't get about this. It seems simple enough. If you were going to wait, fuck it, you have nothing to lose. If you were only preordering it because of what you assumed would be etched-in-stone extras, and you are salty, did you really lose anything?

I doubt it.

And of course, if you were going to pre-order it AYNWAY (and let's get real here, I am sure better than half of the whiners in here were) then you should be happy with anything extra you get, no matter how lame.

I mean... are you going to fucking set this fucker on a shelf and stare at it, or are you going to play it?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for anyone else, but that is exactly what I was planning to do with my copies. I didn't play Demon Souls yet because I didn't want to open my CE copy and haven't got around to purchasing a cheap vanilla copy, so I planned on sitting the Dark Souls CE right on the shelf beside it's predecessor and enjoy staring at them occasionally. I'm crazy, this much I already know:whistle2:\"

[quote name='GreenSpark']I can't speak for anyone else, but that is exactly what I was planning to do with my copies. I didn't play Demon Souls yet because I didn't want to open my CE copy and haven't got around to purchasing a cheap vanilla copy, so I planned on sitting the Dark Souls CE right on the shelf beside it's predecessor and enjoy staring at them occasionally. I'm crazy, this much I already know:whistle2:\"[/QUOTE]

The Demon Souls Deluxe edition is excellent. I love the strategy guide addition plus its the only place you can get it so that makes it in demand for the collectors. Having a sealed copy is excellent and sellers are asking $400+ on eBay for them. Only problem with the collectors edition was the guide had the printing problem where the ink would rub off. At least Atlus had the the customer rip off the cover of the guide and send it in for a new printed guide. That is just excellent customer service.

I hope we do get the physical guide for the U.S. version. It's very helpful having the guide for quick reference. Namco needs to just step it up and give the fans a quality collectors edition like Atlus would do. Well I still would have paid more for a collectors edition if it came with the physical guide. Only physical items I want is the game, guide and art book. The rest can be in digital form and that works for me.

[quote name='GreenSpark']I can't speak for anyone else, but that is exactly what I was planning to do with my copies. I didn't play Demon Souls yet because I didn't want to open my CE copy and haven't got around to purchasing a cheap vanilla copy, so I planned on sitting the Dark Souls CE right on the shelf beside it's predecessor and enjoy staring at them occasionally. I'm crazy, this much I already know:whistle2:\"[/QUOTE]

God damn, what the hell is wrong with people.

Geez, for everyone taking the "we didn't lose anything stance" it's not about that. What if burger king promised free desserts to get you in to buy an extra value meal and then when you got there told you the desert was being changed to an online code for an ice cream avatar or something? Its bait and switch...its coaxing people to pay full price for something with the promise of an added deal of special extra merchandise and then changing it on the consumer. Its a wrong practice and everyone cancelling their preorders is just saying they're not happy about it. Please...stop trying to explain to them why they shouldn't care or that they don't have a right to complain. They do. Complaining isn't the end of the world...and u complaining about them complaining makes your point seem even more ridiculous.

Don't forget that when you cancel your pre-orders or pledge to buy used in order to give a big 'fuck off!' to Namco, you are also hurting From Software. Remember them? They are the ones who made Demon's Souls in the first place.
On a different note, I wonder how many of the 'I Heart Atlus' crowd will be telling everyone to support Atlus when they release King of Fighters XIII? Besides, pre-order shenanigans notwithstanding, Namco-Bandai will be able to promote and distribute Dark Souls to an extent that Atlus simply could not match, and the more people that buy/play Dark Souls, the better for all of us.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Geez, for everyone taking the "we didn't lose anything stance" it's not about that. What if burger king promised free desserts to get you in to buy an extra value meal and then when you got there told you the desert was being changed to an online code for an ice cream avatar or something? Its bait and switch...its coaxing people to pay full price for something with the promise of an added deal of special extra merchandise and then changing it on the consumer. Its a wrong practice and everyone cancelling their preorders is just saying they're not happy about it. Please...stop trying to explain to them why they shouldn't care or that they don't have a right to complain. They do. Complaining isn't the end of the world...and u complaining about them complaining makes your point seem even more ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
I'd talk to the manager and demand my goddamn Hershey's sundae.

[quote name='wastedyears']Don't forget that when you cancel your pre-orders or pledge to buy used in order to give a big 'fuck off!' to Namco, you are also hurting From Software. Remember them? They are the ones who made Demon's Souls in the first place. [/QUOTE]

That's why I have Demons Souls, Armored Core, and 3D Dot Game Heroes =P

[quote name='Guilty']This thread is still alive? Wow.

I doubt it.

I mean... are you going to fucking set this fucker on a shelf and stare at it, or are you going to play it?[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, anyone could have bought demon's souls for $15-$27 black friday last year even with with the bonus cd and or artbook. Someo fo us would rather wait then spend $60 for something that will drop, if we are not getting any worthwhile extras.

How about we all just stop bitching and play the game when it comes out? I still have my preorder and I'm keeping it. I want to support From Software.

[quote name='wastedyears']Don't forget that when you cancel your pre-orders or pledge to buy used in order to give a big 'fuck off!' to Namco, you are also hurting From Software. Remember them? They are the ones who made Demon's Souls in the first place.
On a different note, I wonder how many of the 'I Heart Atlus' crowd will be telling everyone to support Atlus when they release King of Fighters XIII? Besides, pre-order shenanigans notwithstanding, Namco-Bandai will be able to promote and distribute Dark Souls to an extent that Atlus simply could not match, and the more people that buy/play Dark Souls, the better for all of us.[/QUOTE]

I distinctly remember being on the fence about buying Demon's Souls when it released. After reading a few reviews I decided to go out and buy it a week after release. Could I find it ANYWHERE? Nope... Not the 3 BB or 2 GS I tried that weekend. I ultimately had to order it on Amazon and they only had 3 copies remaining through third parties.

When I talked to multiple sources and read online I was told that they were having distribution issues because of the publisher (Atlus).

All of that said, I am not hating on Atlus. My point is that Atlus is not a big publisher in the West and does not have the distribution channels that Namco has. From Software probably switched because they see the increased demand in the West and want to ensure they reap as many early sales as possible. The problem is, when you make a deal with the devil you reap what you sow. Somehow this seems fitting for Dark Souls...

Oh, and not that anyone should care but I am keeping my pre-order regardless. Quite frankly, we get it from you collectors. You are bent and are going to cancel. Fine, goodbye. Now leave us true fans of the game to enjoy it on day one and go back to licking your sealed CEs.

Well I'll try to pick this up around Black Friday I guess :/ Although I believe the CE will still cost some money in the future anyway.

[quote name='Trance Addix']It would appear so and no steelbook too =/[/QUOTE]

Wait, no steelbook? For realz? If so I'm canceling, fuck that shit. I can handle certain features going digital, but no steelbook is where I draw the line...

Plus, I have far too many other games to look forward to this fall.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Yeah, I only reserved it immediately for the steelbook, too.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. As soon as I get confirmation that there is no steelbook I'll be canceling my pre-order and waiting for a BF deal or something. Can't believe they would announce something like that and then cancel it...pathetic.

*Side note, can't wait for Catherine :)

I ordered for the game foremost, but the reneging on items is a pretty shitty way to do business. Anyone complaining about people canceling their orders should really check their priorities. Pretty funny seeing so many people butthurt about something that's none of their business.

[quote name='Jodou']I ordered for the game foremost, but the reneging on items is a pretty shitty way to do business. Anyone complaining about people canceling their orders should really check their priorities. Pretty funny seeing so many people butthurt about something that's none of their business.[/QUOTE]

I'll still buy the game new...but after the BS they've just pulled, I'll be waiting for numerous price-drops. With no multiplayer (competitive/cooperative) there's no rush to get this now. I can buy the game next year sometime and still enjoy it as much as day 1...perhaps more assuming some patches to fix any issues that crop up.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'll still buy the game new...but after the BS they've just pulled, I'll be waiting for numerous price-drops. With no multiplayer (competitive/cooperative) there's no rush to get this now. I can buy the game next year sometime and still enjoy it as much as day 1...perhaps more assuming some patches to fix any issues that crop up.[/QUOTE]

No multiplayer? Lulwut? Did I miss something?

[quote name='gotdott']No multiplayer? Lulwut? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

I mean one of those games like COD where the multiplayer is the main draw. Dark Souls isn't that type of game. There's multiplayer, but the main focus is the single player experience...something that will be the same on day 180 as it is on day 1.

[quote name='SynGamer']I mean one of those games like COD where the multiplayer is the main draw. Dark Souls isn't that type of game. There's multiplayer, but the main focus is the single player experience...something that will be the same on day 180 as it is on day 1.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SynGamer']I'll still buy the game new...but after the BS they've just pulled, I'll be waiting for numerous price-drops. With no multiplayer (competitive/cooperative) there's no rush to get this now. I can buy the game next year sometime and still enjoy it as much as day 1...perhaps more assuming some patches to fix any issues that crop up.[/QUOTE]

Yea I guess you are right, there is only one way to play through a single player game with coop
icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't remember, but did Namco's site ever mention "metal case" or "steelbook"? I thought that only came from the Amazon description.

[quote name='gotdott']Yea I guess you are right, there is only one way to play through a single player game with coop :roll:[/QUOTE]

You clearly aren't reading what I'm saying. There is no rush (for me at least) to buy this to play with the masses online like other games with competitive multiplayer. Dark Souls is at it's core a single player game, with the occasional random to play along with. It will be the same no matter when you buy the game. With competitive multiplayer games, you have a far larger player base early on...with Dark Souls, it won't really matter.

So if they are going to cut away all of the CE bonuses, then fuck them. I'll wait for some price drops.

[quote name='SynGamer']You clearly aren't reading what I'm saying. There is no rush (for me at least) to buy this to play with the masses online like other games with competitive multiplayer. Dark Souls is at it's core a single player game, with the occasional random to play along with. It will be the same no matter when you buy the game. With competitive multiplayer games, you have a far larger player base early on...with Dark Souls, it won't really matter.

So if they are going to cut away all of the CE bonuses, then fuck them. I'll wait for some price drops.[/QUOTE]

Until all the randoms you're playing with are way higher level than you because they bought it day one.

[quote name='salty tbone']I can't remember, but did Namco's site ever mention "metal case" or "steelbook"? I thought that only came from the Amazon description.[/QUOTE]

Who do you think provided Amazon with that description?

[quote name='HumpsMcLovin']Until all the randoms you're playing with are way higher level than you because they bought it day one.[/QUOTE]

If the game is anything like the original, you'll only meet other people within a certain range. And considering there are others who will wait for price drops, I don't think that will be an issue.

You clearly do not understand the game you are purchasing. Glad you are not picking it up day one.

bread's done
Back