Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
What Kyoz doesn't seem to grasp is: even if you loved the hell out of DS, that in no way equates to needing Dark Souls the day it comes out. There are a ton of games coming out around that time or the month after. To name a few: Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, ICO/SOTC, Resistance 3. All those are equally as worthy as a Day 1 purchase for many people here, including DS diehards.

The CE was something that would have enticed people that otherwise would have waited, to Pre-order since it would have probably sold out like Demon's Souls did. But now that they're seemingly taking all that shit away, it's pointless for many (even diehard DS fans) to get it at launch.

There's absolutely no need to act like a fucking asshole because you couldn't grasp this simple point

[quote name='salty tbone']It's kind of funny that this thread went batshit crazy when confirmed unconfirmed reports were reportedly reported that there was no longer a metal case. Now one post by a dude named Ilkar that "possibly a physical soundtrack and/or artbook" will be in the US CE and holy batshit, this thread just blew up again. I'm going to just wait until this thing gets released before the information vacuum causes my feeble brain to explode.[/QUOTE]

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ilkar is recognized as one of the world's top Demon's Souls PVP players. I know I've seen Dark Souls gameplay videos where he's been interviewed about the gameplay mechanics and such.

The point is, he is a very credible source when it comes to stuff like this.

But yeah, I guess its not official until we hear from Namco. Their lack of communication has been the most frustrating thing.

Edit: The video can be found on YouTube by searching Dark Souls Hands On at E3 2011 (sorry, I don't know how to post the link without the whole video screen popping up in the thread.)

[quote name='ssjmichael']The CE was something that would have enticed people that otherwise would have waited, to Pre-order since it would have probably sold out like Demon's Souls did. But now that they're seemingly taking all that shit away, it's pointless for many (even diehard DS fans) to get it at launch.[/QUOTE]

Count me among that number. Demon's Souls is my #1 game of this console generation, but still the only reason I'm getting Dark Souls was because of the preorder bonuses. If they do in fact take them away, I'm canceling. I can wait for a deal down the road.

(Note: The game doesn't come out till October 4, so there's plenty of time for confirmation of CE content, or even for them to change what that content is or is not.)_

[quote name='Kyoz']You don't understand what i'm complaining about.

I'm defending the damn game, while the cheap asses bash the shit out of it because they're not getting certain items. So many people visit this forum and when they see people who post whines and cries like the above posters, it definitely discourages others whether it has to do with gameplay or bonus pre-order items.

I can understand why people are upset, especially the true collectors (hoarders lol), but when they come in here and are all like... BLAHH CANCELLED! $30 PRICE DROP FOR ME, etc etc....like really?? c'mon now. Since when did a deal gone bad decide the games fate? If you're like me and enjoy playing games with awesome game-play, deals don't make or break it for me, that's all i'm saying brah! :roll:[/QUOTE]

You're the one that doesn't understand what people are complaining about. People are bashing the false advertising. Nothing to do with the actual game or gameplay. That would explain why you're not making any good points though. "People that cancel haven't played it?" That has nothing to do with NAMCO's stupid decision and lazy PR. You're not defending the game at all. You're just questioning other posters love for Demon's Souls. And they're stupid questions. The people that are complaining are complaining about taking away of bonuses. If you want to be part of the discussion, talk about that. And I don't mean, "I don't care that they took it away." That's fine if you feel that way, but it certainly adds nothing to the discussion. Now if you have some kind of justification as to WHY NAMCO has handled the situation the way they have, I'm sure everyone would be interested. Otherwise, you might just close your mouth until you have something worthwhile to contribute.

I've got to be honest, I pre-ordered the game because I was automatically upgraded plus I wanted to play Demon Soul's but could not, no PS3. If they cancel I'll still get the game when it is on sale eventually. No bonuses = no deal.

[quote name='henryVIII']Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ilkar is recognized as one of the world's top Demon's Souls PVP players. I know I've seen Dark Souls gameplay videos where he's been interviewed about the gameplay mechanics and such.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected that he isn't just "some dude" but I do think the lack of real information is making some people nuts. My next prediction is that since everyone assumes "metal case" means "steelbook," when it turns out to be some Prey or Halo 3 CE type tin, the Namco HQs will officially be assaulted with pitchforks and torches.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Count me among that number. Demon's Souls is my #1 game of this console generation, but still the only reason I'm getting Dark Souls was because of the preorder bonuses. [/QUOTE]

Holy fuck, that does not make sense at all. The only reason you were getting the sequel to your "#1 game of this console generation" was the preorder bonuses, lol WTF! Seriously some people on this site really are fucking weird. Honestly I will get this game with or without the crap that comes with it, because the game looks more like of what I liked in DS, not because of the trinkets that come with it.

[quote name='Kyoz']This is your profile right? http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=twztid13

"Demon Souls 0%"

So back to my original post, I'm paying for the game play...something you wouldn't have any idea about...;)[/QUOTE]
btw, if i had never played it on my US account, there would be a dash there, not a 0%. so you are 100% wrong about people never playing it (i may not have gotten any trophies on the US version, but i played it).

also, if you must know, i sold both before the price came crumbling down when the greatist hits versions were released. never beat it. nor did i use the online features, so i missed a big part of the game. that does not mean i don't want to try a spiritual successor with way better graphics, and with a controller that i like ALOT better.

sorry CAG's. i just hate being singled out for anything, and it's probably my fault for giving this person my attention. i just had to point out that he was 100% wrong, and not 99.9%.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Holy fuck, that does not make sense at all. The only reason you were getting the sequel to your "#1 game of this console generation" was the preorder bonuses, lol WTF! Seriously some people on this site really are fucking weird. Honestly I will get this game with or without the crap that comes with it, because the game looks more like of what I liked in DS, not because of the trinkets that come with it.[/QUOTE]
The bit which is implied in that sentence is "but still the only reason I'm getting Dark Souls (at launch) was because of the preorder bonuses." which is confirmed by the sentence which follows it "If they do in fact take them away, I'm canceling. I can wait for a deal down the road."

Most of the folks canceling their preorders (myself included) due to false / murky advertising of the CE will purchase after an inevitable price drop or two, since I don't care about a metal case and digital extras (specifically a digital guide) are of no use to me, I have no incentive to pay a premium on release date. The only reason I preordered Dark Souls instead of waiting for a price drop originally is because of the strength of the CE.

That we have to turn to the word of a high-profile Demon's Souls player talking to the European arm of the distributor at Gamescom in order to find out the current, ever-shifting details of the Dark Souls CE just demonstrates the utter failure of Namco's PR department. They set up the official website (preparetodie.com), the official facebook page, the official forums (even with a freaking section called "Ask Namco") and they have ducked and dodged questions at every turn regarding the details of the CE and specifically if it no longer includes a physical guide.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Holy fuck, that does not make sense at all. The only reason you were getting the sequel to your "#1 game of this console generation" was the preorder bonuses, lol WTF! Seriously some people on this site really are fucking weird. Honestly I will get this game with or without the crap that comes with it, because the game looks more like of what I liked in DS, not because of the trinkets that come with it.[/QUOTE]
It "doesn't make sense" to you I imagine because you're blinded by your like for the game or From Software. For this to all make sense you'd need to look past that which is apparently too hard for you. You use the words "crap" and "trinkets" when describing the bonuses to trivialize them as much as possible because to you the game itself is all that matters here. You want it to sell well/want as many people as possible to play it and so take offense at every bit of negative press towards anything you see as a threat to it's potential sales. If anything though you should be mad at NB for the lousy job they've done. They're the reason sales won't be as good as they could have been.

Of course it's much easier to tell someone who's actually around and may respond (unlike NB you see) that they don't make sense and are "fucking weird". Nice.

How does it not make sense? I love the first one, but can have patience to play the sequel. I've got a huge backlog and little time to sit and play anyway. If I can save money by buying it down the road, I will. However, my love for it demands I get the CE content (as I did the first one). I'll get it either way, but the "trinkets" make the collector in me decide when to purchase it.

[quote name='ShockandAww']It "doesn't make sense" to you I imagine because you're blinded by your like for the game or From Software. For this to all make sense you'd need to look past that which is apparently too hard for you. You use the words "crap" and "trinkets" when describing the bonuses to trivialize them as much as possible because to you the game itself is all that matters here. You want it to sell well/want as many people as possible to play it and so take offense at every bit of negative press towards anything you see as a threat to it's potential sales. If anything though you should be mad at NB for the lousy job they've done. They're the reason sales won't be as good as they could have been.

Of course it's much easier to tell someone who's actually around and may respond (unlike NB you see) that they don't make sense and are "fucking weird". Nice.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you on about? Are you fucking high? To me they are trinkets, I don't give a fuck about artbooks or OSTs, and faqs I can get online easily. I don't give a fuck if the game sells a million or a hundred, as long as I have a copy I don't give a shit who else buys it. I don't buy games to collect, I buy games to play them.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I'm definitely pre-ordering now... all digital bonus put me over the edge since it's better for the environment![/QUOTE]

LOL. Next downgrade to this game will be, you buy the case and get a voucher inside to d/l the game, instead of getting an actual disc. Even better for the environment! :lol:

[quote name='chimpmeister']LOL. Next downgrade to this game will be, you buy the case and get a voucher inside to d/l the game, instead of getting an actual disc. Even better for the environment! :lol:[/QUOTE]

or just turn all the extras into digital format including the art book. turn them into vouchers haha

[quote name='chimpmeister']LOL. Next downgrade to this game will be, you buy the case and get a voucher inside to d/l the game, instead of getting an actual disc. Even better for the environment! :lol:[/QUOTE]
You forgot to mention the case will be a rusty metal case with razor sharp edges, which after prying open and cutting the shit out of your hands you'll need to drip blood on the special litmus paper to make your code appear lol.

damn people are starting to care about the environment now. this thread is on a roll! fuck the physical vs digital argument. its all about environment now bitches!
*faps like a madman*

[quote name='giantqtipz']or just turn all the extras into digital format including the art book. turn them into vouchers haha[/QUOTE]

Vouchers are printed on paper which is also bad for the environment. Once you buy it, you'll be sent an email with the codes attached digitally.

I would rather pay $10 more for a quality atlus de instead of what they're giving now. But ds is a day one buy for me no matter what it comes with.

Think people, you have like one month of DS gameplay until skyrim comes out. I am guessing a lot of players will be making the switch, which means less ganking. The online content in DS is what made the game epic, and no amount of money or bonuses is worth missing the party.

[quote name='AukeySeven']I would rather pay $10 more for a quality atlus de instead of what they're giving now. But ds is a day one buy for me no matter what it comes with.

Think people, you have like one month of DS gameplay until skyrim comes out. I am guessing a lot of players will be making the switch, which means less ganking. The online content in DS is what made the game epic, and no amount of money or bonuses is worth missing the party.[/QUOTE]

How I wish Atlus were publishing the game. Hell, I'd pay $10 bucks more for no extras if it were Atlus. They deserve more of my money. Such a fantastic company.

Seems that I missed the info about (most) of the content going digital. Still thinking about it (will probably wait a bit to see if some more news comes out) but as some said, I might cancel it and just wait for a sale or something.

I also would have loved Atlus being involved as publisher instead of Bandai.

My pre-order was placed on May...

[quote name='salty tbone']Those videos are fucking digital. Not interested.

I kid, I kid.[/QUOTE]

I want my trailers on reels.

But seriously, I wanted a physical guide. The rest can be digital for all I care, but it's still douchebaggery of NB.

So, everything is digital besides the artbook right? If everything is digital..I might wait, but if it at least includes an artbook + steelbook that's worth it to me.

Still seems good to me, gonna pre-order it next time I'm at gamestop.

[quote name='joeshmoe']So, everything is digital besides the artbook right? If everything is digital..I might wait, but if it at least includes an artbook + steelbook that's worth it to me.

Still seems good to me, gonna pre-order it next time I'm at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

There's been no official announcement yet, but its looking more and more like everything will be digital. The artbook, game guide, and soundtrack will all simply be voucher codes for download. The only physical bonus included is a tin case. (This is for the US version.)

But again, not official word yet from Namco

If it has a steel case i would buy it for $5-10 extra. Does anyone know if it does?

The thing people do not consider i notice is game prices drop fast after release. So if there is nothing but useless digital junk which most of us do not want why preorder then? I rather buy this for $20-$40 new after 2-6 weeks after release. If it had preorder bonus dlc anything i would for sure keep my order.

Point is games 95% of 360 games drop within a month easy. So no bonus stuff people care for why spend the extra 20-30 bones? Deus Ex comes next tue that can tide me over until dead island which i hear is not all that from a link someone on amazon posted for a preview.

[quote name='henryVIII']There's been no official announcement yet, but its looking more and more like everything will be digital. The artbook, game guide, and soundtrack will all simply be voucher codes for download. The only physical bonus included is a tin case. (This is for the US version.)

But again, not official word yet from Namco[/QUOTE]

That kind of sucks..I doubt i'll pre-order it now. The only digital items I would really use is the artbook..and I prefer to have it in hand. Oh well.

Imagine Namco didn't announce the free upgrade with implied physical guide and such in the first place, but then announce a free upgrade to CE with digital guide, soundtrack and some videos. People would be happy to pre-order and buy on day one.

People went apeshit because Namco has downgraded the free upgrade with digital stuff. I guess the lesson learned here is not to bring people's hope up and then fail to meet it, even when it's still better than a barebone release. Either way, it's a fubar on Namco's part.

Wow, this thread greatly deteriorated. I have no problem with people waiting for a drop and I have no problem with people wanting it the day it comes out. People are no less of a Demons Souls fan because they would rather save their hard earned dollars in these tough economic times for a price drop. And a lot of Demons Souls sales were after price drops because people were afraid of spending money on a 'hard' game.

And the people to blame here are Namco-Bandai. They promised the moon, saw that this game was more popular than expected, then backed off of the preorder bonuses because of profit margins and costs. People aren't mad at Dark Souls. People aren't mad at From Software. They are mad at NB. And I'm one of them. They made promises and broke them. Personally, if this continues to be all digital, I'm just buying the JP Dark Souls where it's published by From and NB doesn't get any of my money. It's just a drop in the bucket, but if imports end high enough, despite bonuses, that may convince From to go back to Atlus for the inevitable Dirty Souls, or whatever D word they choose to go with.

I do have my worries on a few aspects of the game. 'Open world' is something dozens of other games do that it's starting to feel 'generic', and I liked the 'unique' old-schoolness of a hub (Nexus) with 'stages'. Also, I don't like that they're revamping multiplayer. The multiplayer was unique, and I don't want the 'series' to turn into a headset-using n00b-calling hatefest like every other game out there. Dark Souls won't be like that, but it seems to be taking a solid jump toward such. My worries basically stem from the fact that they're shying away what made the first one unique to appeal to the masses. Hopefully it will (and it probably will) retain Demons Souls' charm, but I do fear that it will just end up like any other game out there. But it's From Software, and they usually steer us right.

In short, stop the fighting and look forward to what might be the best game of 2011. If you don't want to give NB your money, then import :)

[quote name='eau']Imagine Namco didn't announce the free upgrade with implied physical guide and such in the first place, but then announce a free upgrade to CE with digital guide, soundtrack and some videos. People would be happy to pre-order and buy on day one.

People went apeshit because Namco has downgraded the free upgrade with digital stuff. I guess the lesson learned here is not to bring people's hope up and then fail to meet it, even when it's still better than a barebone release. Either way, it's a fubar on Namco's part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats how the real world goes - its better to go above and beyond something instead of hyping it up and not delivering.

had they not mentioned anything first, but then threw in the extras people would be fine

So far I have preorder on amazon while it is on my gold box and the newegg for 49.99, but I am waiting till official word to see if I want to cancel or not.... There is enough good game in october and november with Batman and Assassin Creed.

I really hope we still at least get a physical artbook & metal case (not steelbook). I could care less about everything else being digital. If we don't even get a physical artbook, I might just cancel my pre-order. I loved Demon's Souls, but my money is going to be tight this holiday. I'll probably wait til Black Friday or some Holiday sales to buy it then.

[quote name='Jodou']The steelbook is made from recycled Mountain Dew cans and to save on advertising have retained the logos.[/QUOTE]

hahaha

OMG What! preorder canceled srysly!!!

[quote name='0192837465']hahaha

OMG What! preorder canceled srysly!!![/QUOTE]

I'd actually buy that, but it obviously wouldn't be steel =P

I've been looking forward to the sequel to Demon's Souls ever since the day I first finished Demon's Souls, so I pre-ordered because I want to play Dark Souls just as soon as I can. I'll happily pay full price for it, which for many of you is apparently a mortal sin, since with the possible exception of Uncharted 3, no other video games have me half as excited as Dark Souls does. Pre-order bonuses are nice, but are not really that important. I couldn't tell you how many bonus art books I've skimmed through once and set aside or how many soundtracks I have lying unopened in a drawer from other Atlus pre-orders. I think the only soundtrack I ever listened to was the one that came with SMT: Nocturne.

[quote name='wastedyears']I've been looking forward to the sequel to Demon's Souls ever since the day I first finished Demon's Souls, so I pre-ordered because I want to play Dark Souls just as soon as I can. I'll happily pay full price for it, which for many of you is apparently a mortal sin, since with the possible exception of Uncharted 3, no other video games have me half as excited as Dark Souls does. Pre-order bonuses are nice, but are not really that important. I couldn't tell you how many bonus art books I've skimmed through once and set aside or how many soundtracks I have lying unopened in a drawer from other Atlus pre-orders. I think the only soundtrack I ever listened to was the one that came with SMT: Nocturne.[/QUOTE]

Have you listened to the Persona or Catherine soundtracks? They're fantastic.

I thought the only confirmation of digital strategy guide and artbook were for the UK release unless I missed news about the US release. It wouldn't be the first time collector editions for US and UK were different and Namco-Bandai hasn't changed their site info or anything in regards to the US CE. Either way I am getting this day one

Dunno why everyone is back and forth on this... IT IS OFFICIAL THEY'RE DIGITAL... go to main site.. preparetodie and click preorder it now lists those items with a * and at the bottom says they're digital... dunno when it was changed but it is. nevertheless I'm preordering it. will be epic and a must play day one when everyones a noob.

Huh, good looking out, you're right, the official website did update. So basically we're getting a physical game, tin and artbook for pre-ordering, and the guide, behind-the-scenes and soundtrack are all digital.

Guess I'll just wait for the price to go down, like Dragon Age II Signature Edition. Amazon had those in stock for months after release, I can see this doing the same

How do you even compare this to DAII Signature? All the extra content here =/= holofoil cover and a voucher for DLC that you could get for free...

Either way I'm still meh about picking this up considering I won't touch it for a few months at the rate I'm going. Who knows.

I'm still going to pre-order it anyway regardless of what extras come with it. Demon's Souls was too good, and even though it may be full price, if it means that much to you, you can always just cancel it.

[quote name='Vultureyo']Dunno why everyone is back and forth on this... IT IS OFFICIAL THEY'RE DIGITAL... go to main site.. preparetodie and click preorder it now lists those items with a * and at the bottom says they're digital... dunno when it was changed but it is. nevertheless I'm preordering it. will be epic and a must play day one when everyones a noob.[/QUOTE]

And yet, all the pictures still show a physical guide. Using asterisks in on one page notifying people of the digital contents while everything else shows a physical guide is really really misleading.

bread's done
Back