Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those people who cancelled on principle, and no I am not whiny or emo or whatever other pathetic names you try labeling people.

The simple fact is, you are right, Namco will not miss my $60. That is perfectly fine by me, I have no problems with that. However, as a consumer, my only option to show a company that they are acting unacceptably is to vote with my wallet. I don't care that the items are digital. What I care about is that they originally advertised all physical items, with no mention of them being digital. That is why I preordered, because I wanted the physical items, and that made it worth my $60. They then decided, after a lot of people preordered, to back out of that arrangement. As such, I cancelled my preorder. No drama, no whining, no emo, just a simple cancellation from a customer who disagrees with what occured.

It's called voting with your wallet, and while people on these boards or Namco might not care, it is what we as consumers have. Its a shame that more people aren't standing up to it on principle, because it lets companies know that this is a perfectly acceptable business practice, and we only go down hill from here.

the cancellation people should just do it, and get on with there day... Not come here and cry for attention and try and "make namco feel it".

Its like reading suicide notes, what's really the purpose? To hurt others, and make them feel bad for what they MADE you do. Well in the end you're the only one who gets hurt/dead, because no one cares. All I care about it day one gameage!!

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Not sure complaining that people are complaining about reneged pre-order extras is better than complaining about the reneged pre-orders itself.[/QUOTE]

What about people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about reneged pre-orders... and people like me who are complaining about you?

[quote name='ElectricStarshine']I am one of those people who cancelled on principle, and no I am not whiny or emo or whatever other pathetic names you try labeling people.[/QUOTE]
People here are buying the game, not a bunch of extras. You'd have a point if this cost anything more than the standard $60. I've canceled for less on principle, but in this case you will not be heard. The people who do have a point are the ones who aren't interested in the game and can wait on a lower price sans extras now that the deal was altered.

If you want to bitch, tell FROM not to use Namco as a publisher ever again.

[quote name='ElectricStarshine']I am one of those people who cancelled on principle, and no I am not whiny or emo or whatever other pathetic names you try labeling people.

The simple fact is, you are right, Namco will not miss my $60. That is perfectly fine by me, I have no problems with that. However, as a consumer, my only option to show a company that they are acting unacceptably is to vote with my wallet. I don't care that the items are digital. What I care about is that they originally advertised all physical items, with no mention of them being digital. That is why I preordered, because I wanted the physical items, and that made it worth my $60. They then decided, after a lot of people preordered, to back out of that arrangement. As such, I cancelled my preorder. No drama, no whining, no emo, just a simple cancellation from a customer who disagrees with what occured.

It's called voting with your wallet, and while people on these boards or Namco might not care, it is what we as consumers have. Its a shame that more people aren't standing up to it on principle, because it lets companies know that this is a perfectly acceptable business practice, and we only go down hill from here.[/QUOTE]

Applause for this. Not sure how you can argue against the sentiment. We can all agree that Namco promised one thing and is delivering less, right? If you are willing to accept something different than you were promised, then go ahead... by all means. It's not a character judgement or anything. Some folks just don't want to be sold one thing and delivered another. It doesn't make them superior consumers or humans either. It's just the decision they are comfortable making. No biggie.

[quote name='midloo']Applause for this. Not sure how you can argue against the sentiment. We can all agree that Namco promised one thing and is delivering less, right? If you are willing to accept something different than you were promised, then go ahead... by all means. It's not a character judgement or anything. Some folks just don't want to be sold one thing and delivered another. It doesn't make them superior consumers or humans either. It's just the decision they are comfortable making. No biggie.[/QUOTE]

If they REALLY wanted to make a sentiment they wouldn't buy the game period... but In almost all the cases they're just going to wait until later, which is only doing a disservice to themselves. Namco is going to be glad to have people buying used and boosting up the community after the day 1 people are finished.

I'm not sure if this was touched upon, but do you think the hardcover Futurepress guide coming out had anything to do with them removing the physical guide? I'm sure it was a cost-cutting decision but it's also possible that it was done so it wouldn't hurt the sales of that guide. I imagine if every copy came with a physical game guide (albeit a mini one) that Futurepress wouldn't sell as many copies of their guide.

I'm torn. I don't know if I should cancel my ps3 or 360 preorder. I ordered one of each, but i just want one copy. No solid facts so far on the differences. Oof!

[quote name='Fearia']I'm torn. I don't know if I should cancel my ps3 or 360 preorder. I ordered one of each, but i just want one copy. No solid facts so far on the differences. Oof![/QUOTE]
One costs to play online (Live), one does not.

[quote name='AukeySeven']If they REALLY wanted to make a sentiment they wouldn't buy the game period... but In almost all the cases they're just going to wait until later, which is only doing a disservice to themselves. Namco is going to be glad to have people buying used and boosting up the community after the day 1 people are finished.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, most gamers are full of shit and this topic is full of such morons.

[quote name='whoknows']Can someone point me to where it was "promised" none of the extras would be digital?[/QUOTE]

I emailed CS and got this confirmation email
Hello,

I've checked your order # and can confirm that you will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge.

The Collector's Edition will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case.

Once your order has entered the shipping process we'll send you a confirmation e-mail.

Just in case you won't receive the Collector's Edition, please feel free to contact us back and we'll be happy to investigate the issue.

[quote name='whoknows']Can someone point me to where it was "promised" none of the extras would be digital?[/QUOTE]http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/11/dark-souls-collectors-edition-offered-as-pre-order-bonus/
In the original announcement the only item specifically flagged as digital is the soundtrack. That paired with the art released strongly implied the rest of the items were physical. They are even still using art on the official website which depicts a physical guide included in the CE, but is asterisked in the list below the picture to indicate it is digital and the game is less than a week away.

If I had to hazard a guess, 95% of the people saying they are canceling the preorder on principle just mean they will not buy the CE for full price on principle and have always intended to purchase the standard version later after a price drop. I don't think anyone is saying that they never intend to purchase the game due to the bait-and-switch of Namco for the CE.

For many folks it's just simple math if the extras are not worth a $10, $20, $30, $40, etc. premium to them, for instance if they don't care for digital extras (ex. I never use DVD digital copies), then they will wait for a price drop.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']I emailed CS and got this confirmation email
Hello,

I've checked your order # and can confirm that you will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge.

The Collector's Edition will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case.

Once your order has entered the shipping process we'll send you a confirmation e-mail.

Just in case you won't receive the Collector's Edition, please feel free to contact us back and we'll be happy to investigate the issue.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='guardian_owl']http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/11/dark-souls-collectors-edition-offered-as-pre-order-bonus/

They are even still using art on the official website which depicts a physical guide included in the CE, but is asterisked in the list below the picture to indicate it is digital.

If I had to hazard a guess, 95% of the people saying they are canceling the preorder on principle just mean they will not buy the CE for full price on principle and have always intended to purchase the standard version later after a price drop. I don't think anyone is saying that they never intend to purchase the game due to the bait-and-switch of Namco for the CE.

For many folks it's just simple math if the extras are not worth a $10, $20, $30, $40, etc. premium to them, for instance if they don't care for digital extras (ex. I never use DVD digital copies), then they will wait for a price drop.[/QUOTE]
Those don't really show Namco promised anything. It's more like bad info and/or assumptions. I'm looking for something more where Namco themselves said nothing would be digital, such as a press release or something.

It is kind of deceiving that they're using that picture though, but if they say what's digital in the description then It's fine.

http://www.namcobandaigames.com/com...s-announces-dark-souls-releasing-october-2011

Exact wording is "and will include a limited edition art book containing premium illustrations of characters and environments from the game, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes videos from the development studio detailing various stages of game concept, design and building, and the game’s soundtrack for digital download. All of this will come packaged with the standard edition game in a custom-designed metal case."
It then points to " For More information on the game please visit www.PrepareToDie.com and www.facebook.com/DarkSouls" Which if I remember correctly preparetodie.com, had the listing and picture as described on joystiq in the above post.

i hope the US artbook is as good as the UK's. I watched some unboxing vids (UK version is already out) and their artbook looks awesome, even though its all character art.

we got shafted on the demons souls artbook (UK black phantom ed. artbook was MUCH better), hope this one is better.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm not sure if this was touched upon, but do you think the hardcover Futurepress guide coming out had anything to do with them removing the physical guide? I'm sure it was a cost-cutting decision but it's also possible that it was done so it wouldn't hurt the sales of that guide. I imagine if every copy came with a physical game guide (albeit a mini one) that Futurepress wouldn't sell as many copies of their guide.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Namco sold the publishing rights to Futurepress? I've read a lot of this thread and from what I gathered, many of you believe Namco to be greedy and cheap. So it would make sense for them to sell the publishing rights to someone else to make a quick guaranteed buck...just a theory though, who knows why any of this is happening except the people in the Namco boardroom.

You guys think it'll be too late to order for the collector's edition after someone 'unboxes' the contents for the US release (mainly just curious what the 'metal' case is)?

Also, is newegg still accepting pre orders for the Dark Souls CE? The website lists it as available, but the image used is the standard edition.

Greedy or not, Futurepress making a guide for this is an awesome consequence if you ask me.

The excitement is really starting to kick in for me and I cannot wait to play this next week. Feel free to add me on PSN any day 1 players

[quote name='guardian_owl']http://www.namcobandaigames.com/com...s-announces-dark-souls-releasing-october-2011

Exact wording is "and will include a limited edition art book containing premium illustrations of characters and environments from the game, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes videos from the development studio detailing various stages of game concept, design and building, and the game’s soundtrack for digital download. All of this will come packaged with the standard edition game in a custom-designed metal case."
It then points to " For More information on the game please visit www.PrepareToDie.com and www.facebook.com/DarkSouls" Which if I remember correctly preparetodie.com, had the listing and picture as described on joystiq in the above post.[/QUOTE]

That still doesn't really show that they promised a physical guidebook. I believe that's what they intended but the statement itself doesn't prove it either way. The picture also doesn't prove much of anything since it also shows a Soundtrack CD even though they specifically said that would be a digital download from the start. Also you could interpret the "for digital download" as including everything mentioned in that sentence rather than just the soundtrack.

I still think for no extra cost people are getting some awesome extras. I also think Namco should have been more clear on what's included and stuck to it rather than leaving us in the dark for months.

I do have to wonder if all the people bitching and cancelling would have paid $10 or $20 extra if it did come with the guide. Namco really didn't have to provide any of these extras for free to begin with. They should have known they wouldn't have been cheap to produce and just charge $10 extra like Atlus did with Demon's Souls' deluxe edition.

agreed. i'll take a full sized futurepress guide over a free mini guide any day of the week. if u get the guide from thebookdepository, u get the game/metal case/artbook/full sized guide/digi downloads all for < $80. its like the collectors edition most of us would have bought for that price anyways.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Greedy or not, Futurepress making a guide for this is an awesome consequence if you ask me.

The excitement is really starting to kick in for me and I cannot wait to play this next week. Feel free to add me on PSN any day 1 players[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']agreed. if u get the guide from thebookdepository, u get the game/metal case/artbook/full sized guide/digi downloads all for < $80. its like the collectors edition most of us would have bought for that price anyways.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I look at it.

[quote name='Fearia']No solid facts so far on the differences. Oof![/QUOTE]
You can't google it yourself for 2 seconds? =\ Compression on the 360 so the CG videos are lower quality & the PS3 version obviously has more of a fanbase due to Demons' Souls. Other than that, it's controller preference.

Also just wanted to remind everybody that completed the HIEROGLYPHS puzzle about the code to redeem. I don't know how it will be redeemed. I was going through my email and saw the code from preparetodie.com.

I would laugh if its gives you a digital version of the strategy guide. I guess we will have to wait around to see how these are redeemed.

Any thoughts on what it could be weapons/magic?

[quote name='Bumslie']Also just wanted to remind everybody that completed the HIEROGLYPHS puzzle about the code to redeem. I don't know how it will be redeemed. I was going through my email and saw the code from preparetodie.com.

I would laugh if its gives you a digital version of the strategy guide. I guess we will have to wait around to see how these are redeemed.

Any thoughts on what it could be weapons/magic?[/QUOTE]
Ha! I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!

So would it be possible to get the reg version @ Walmart at midnight, then return just the game out of the CE from Amazon? Or will they have different UPC's making it not possible?

I'm guessing the game will come sealed in the CE right??? Never got a CE or PreOrdered.

About the puzzle, you're far behind...

That code was just to get tokens among other ways, which in turn "ranks" you up. But unfortunately, you won't be getting any cool DLC weapons/armor/items for doing all this, since there's no DLC planned. A couple people have won swag for doing stuff, the game, signed magazine, and a DkS tankard. But everyone else, who knows? My hopes are dashed for getting bad ass unique items.

[quote name='Bumslie']Also just wanted to remind everybody that completed the HIEROGLYPHS puzzle about the code to redeem. I don't know how it will be redeemed. I was going through my email and saw the code from preparetodie.com.

Any thoughts on what it could be weapons/magic?[/QUOTE]
preparetodie.com -> if not already link to a facebook -> put mouse over soul bar -> click "redeem code"-> enter the code you have in email -> get a token(s) I think it was and a message about the next puzzle which started. One week away and so far all this puzzle stuff has amounted to nothing more than a time waster to get people to keep Dark Souls in their mind.

also, new trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFSzkQHm1AY&iv_load_policy=3

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='giantqtipz']What a scary site name.

Prepare to die

I mean wtf???[/QUOTE]
'Cause you have to freakin' die a lot in order to progress...It's that brutal ;)

For those who pre-ordered at Best Buy (in hopes of getting a PM via KMart or something similar), I told the person working there I'd call in on Friday to see if their shipment of the game is the CE or not and they said that'd be fine.

That should give you guys enough time to cancel any pre-orders from other retailers, or perhaps re-order on Amazon or w/e if you choose to do so.

Hopefully they do carry the CE though; I'm gonna be real excited if I end up picking it up for $40 :)

[quote name='eau']'Cause you have to freakin' die a lot in order to progress...It's that brutal ;)[/QUOTE]
It's probably also a reference to the Undead Human mechanic (the legal name tweak of the soul form vs. body form mechanic from Demon's Souls).

[quote name='guardian_owl']preparetodie.com -> if not already link to a facebook -> put mouse over soul bar -> click "redeem code"-> enter the code you have in email -> get a token(s) I think it was and a message about the next puzzle which started. One week away and so far all this puzzle stuff has amounted to nothing more than a time waster to get people to keep Dark Souls in their mind.

[/QUOTE]

Good to know what that code actually did.

[quote name='HarryManback']About the puzzle, you're far behind...

That code was just to get tokens among other ways, which in turn "ranks" you up. But unfortunately, you won't be getting any cool DLC weapons/armor/items for doing all this, since there's no DLC planned. A couple people have won swag for doing stuff, the game, signed magazine, and a DkS tankard. But everyone else, who knows? My hopes are dashed for getting bad ass unique items.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for correcting me on that. I just noticed the email still in my inbox so I just wanted to post about it. Looks like I'm way behind.

Lie or not lie, I just don't see why they are getting so much hate. It's a free upgrade to the CE. You are paying nothing for the bonuses you are getting. They have even announced there will be no DLC's, and that the game is complete at launch so we don't have to worry about paying random amounts of money in the future. Just compare this release to say Battlefield 3, which I will buy, but is a full price game, which has random additions, DLC's, and addons depending on where you buy it, and a collectors edition that costs extra money, and will probably have $15 map packs every 2 weeks.

Yes namco made a small mistake, it's not the end of the world. Buy Dark Souls for the game itself.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Lie or not lie, I just don't see why they are getting so much hate. It's a free upgrade to the CE. You are paying nothing for the bonuses you are getting. They have even announced there will be no DLC's, and that the game is complete at launch so we don't have to worry about paying random amounts of money in the future. Just compare this release to say Battlefield 3, which I will buy, but is a full price game, which has random additions, DLC's, and addons depending on where you buy it, and a collectors edition that costs extra money, and will probably have $15 map packs every 2 weeks.

Yes namco made a small mistake, it's not the end of the world. Buy Dark Souls for the game itself.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its so much as that they changed stuff, as that they had horrible communication about the whole thing. At least thats what bugged me about it.

[quote name='nieon']why can't people be upset that the collector's edition won't have collector's value?[/QUOTE]

It's still got the special case and artbook. Just the mini strategy guide and making of video disc are now digital.

[quote name='nieon']why can't people be upset that the collector's edition won't have collector's value?[/QUOTE]

I think they can if someone says you can't ignore em.

[quote name='HarryManback']So would it be possible to get the reg version @ Walmart at midnight, then return just the game out of the CE from Amazon? Or will they have different UPC's making it not possible?

I'm guessing the game will come sealed in the CE right??? Never got a CE or PreOrdered.[/QUOTE]

So now you want to talk about fraud? Bad, bad, bad. If you have to have it at midnight, suck it up and pay for a second copy or cancel your CE. No one in their right mind is going to touch that one with a 10 foot stick.

If you chose release day delivery have some restraint as it will be there that day - or are you 5 years old and posting on here? In the grand scheme of things, those 12-18 hours you have to wait for it to show up are not going to amount to much.

[quote name='fishphoenix']It's still got the special case and artbook. Just the mini strategy guide and making of video disc are now digital.[/QUOTE]

Which means they will expire and be non existent for most of us. I don't play online, but I would like a physical item to look at/keep. Just my 2 cents.

Curious players have also wondered about how Dark Souls on Xbox 360 will handle Party Chat and Private Chat functionality. Well, the game does not support player-to-player voice chat over Xbox Live. No real surprises there. However, if players engage a Party Chat session, Dark Souls will instantly kick you out of your current game and boot you to the main menu.

"Cannot continue game while you are in party chat. Returning to title screen..." reads on on-screen prompt. It's similar to the way Dark/Demon's Souls handles network connection interruptions for players who take those games online.

^ Taken from Kotaku No Party or Private Chat.
http://kotaku.com/5844514/hows-dark-souls-looking-on-xbox-360

My 2 cents is that if I worked for namco I would just send everyone the standard since people apparently want to complain about free stuff.

[quote name='fishphoenix']My 2 cents is that if I worked for namco I would just send everyone the standard since people apparently want to complain about free stuff.[/QUOTE]

What a simple-minded approach to the issue.

[quote name='fishphoenix']My 2 cents is that if I worked for namco I would just send everyone the standard since people apparently want to complain about free stuff.[/QUOTE]

Actually even better, Namco should just cancel the game. That would teach them a lesson, eh?

bread's done
Back