Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have 3900+ points, you can get the CE on Lockerz for $35 plus tax (shipping is free). Came out to $38 for me. Now we'll just have to see if it actually is the CE... I would've ordered another so I could make nerds fight and throw their money at me, but I can't even afford the one I just bought. Besides, I have a feeling we'll see a reprint of this just like Mario All-Stars.

[quote name='ZombieToast']If you have 3900+ points, you can get the CE on Lockerz for $35 plus tax (shipping is free). Came out to $38 for me. Now we'll just have to see if it actually is the CE... I would've ordered another so I could make nerds fight and throw their money at me, but I can't even afford the one I just bought. Besides, I have a feeling we'll see a reprint of this just like Mario All-Stars.[/QUOTE]

Except this isn't Nintendo ;)

[quote name='gotdott']Except this isn't Nintendo ;)[/QUOTE]
Doesn't mean it won't happen. Besides, if they were Nintendo, the game wouldn't have been released here in the first place.

[quote name='ZombieToast']If you have 3900+ points, you can get the CE on Lockerz for $35 plus tax (shipping is free). Came out to $38 for me. Now we'll just have to see if it actually is the CE... I would've ordered another so I could make nerds fight and throw their money at me, but I can't even afford the one I just bought. Besides, I have a feeling we'll see a reprint of this just like Mario All-Stars.[/QUOTE]

I keep seeing people say there's going to be a reprint, but why would they reprint something that was included for free as an incentive to pre-order?

There's no benefit to them reprinting more of this, unless they wanted to reprint it and charge a premium for it, which would result in bad press more than likely.

Use your heads people, seriously, think before you post.

[quote name='SteveGo']I keep seeing people say there's going to be a reprint, but why would they reprint something that was included for free as an incentive to pre-order?

There's no benefit to them reprinting more of this, unless they wanted to reprint it and charge a premium for it, which would result in bad press more than likely.

Use your heads people, seriously, think before you post.[/QUOTE]

For future prints, they can do what Demon souls did, throw in a damn PHYSICAL soundtrack with the game! Amazon is still selling this!

http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Souls-...8NUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317805298&sr=8-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA

[quote name='Kenshindono']PFFT, thats a drop in the hat. I did have a question for him though: Is that the NBA ps3 game locker in the back? I always wanted one of those =D My backlogs to the point where I dont think i'll ever play them. These are just most of the the 360 games i havent played yet (everything but the very bottom small row above the original xbox, which are games i have played, and the top left half of the top row because those are some wii games i havent played). Theres quite a few more elsewhere, but thats roughly about 80% of my 360 game collection. I dont even want to show you guys the other crap, or the friggin floor

I actually am a bit curious what my total 'backlog' would be if i totaled up all the PS1, Ps2, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, DC, PSP, DS, GBA, xbox, and 360 games that i havent opened or played would be. I think the only system i dont have a backlog for would be the game gear o_O. Looks like Demons souls is going onto the pile of PS3 games. I actually do want to play this one but my ps3 has been broken for months, and even if it was working, im not sure if id want to open it now with how rare its seeming it will be. maybe i'll get the regular version in a month or 2 when it drops. its good to read some people are getting their amazon orders in correctly though![/QUOTE]
Oh, I totally know how it feels to have a ton of games sitting in the backlog. I'm currently sitting on 212 Xbox 360 games, and I've maybe played through 40 or 50 of them. I also have my rather small backlog of Wii and PS3 exclusives I need to play through as well :<

And hurray! My copy of Dark Souls was finally shipped out!

[quote name='SteveGo']I keep seeing people say there's going to be a reprint, but why would they reprint something that was included for free as an incentive to pre-order?

Use your heads people, seriously, think before you post.[/QUOTE]
They're likely to get bad press no matter what they do. Gamers are some of the most self-entitled people in the world and many are going to feel like Namco OWES them this. They throw shit-fits over the dumbest little things sometimes and this won't be an exception. Hell, I've already seen plenty of people getting pissed off about having their orders canceled and being compensated with $20. They get free money and they STILL complain.

I'm not saying there will be a reprint; I just wouldn't be surprised. Even if they do reprint, they're still going to receive backlash from the hoarders, but it is probably the safest route...even if they do have to charge more (after all, they only offered it as a free upgrade for pre-orders).

[quote name='ZombieToast']I'm not saying there will be a reprint; I just wouldn't be surprised. Even if they do reprint, they're still going to receive backlash from the hoarders, but it is probably the safest route...even if they do have to charge more (after all, they only offered it as a free upgrade for pre-orders).[/QUOTE]
I've seen enough of these to know the chances of a reprint are extremely close to zero. The important thing is that the game is out and people can buy it, which is why something like Super Mario All-Stars got a reprint (and I could see receiving a gutted version as part of their budget lineup), but here they can just say "You should have pre-ordered earlier (and not at BestBuy), but you can still buy the standard edition for $60!" That, and despite how indignant some are now (I think it's generally justified, this is mostly from people who got shafted by retailers who promised them the CE) it WILL blow over for not only the aforementioned reason of still being able to get the base game, but because it's a busy time for games and a lot of those who are riled up will also be very quickly distracted.

AT BEST, I see a quick reprint simply to meet Amazon demand since some of those orders still seem to be in limbo. I gave up myself, wasn't shipped by 8 AM and the CE sounded too weak to cling to in favor of a $50 copy from Fry's.

So I've gotten absolutely nothing from Newegg. No notification that they canceled my order and more importantly, no $20 GC. I've contacted their customer service twice about it and been ignored. Worst CS I've experienced in years and it basically means I won't be buying anything else there (including all the big ticket hardware items I usually get there). Amazon typically has the same price or lower and much, MUCH better customer service.

Congratulations, Newegg, you lost yourself a customer.

[quote name='luxarific']So I've gotten absolutely nothing from Newegg. No notification that they canceled my order and more importantly, no $20 GC. I've contacted their customer service twice about it and been ignored. Worst CS I've experienced in years and it basically means I won't be buying anything else there (including all the big ticket hardware items I usually get there). Amazon typically has the same price or lower and much, MUCH better customer service.

Congratulations, Newegg, you lost yourself a customer.[/QUOTE]

I am in the exact same boat. No notifcation, no apology, no 20 gc. Nothing.

[quote name='urallgyots']this^ It is a pretty sexy looking collection you got there :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Every third game is still wrapped on the right column...

after being here so long I dont even bother going that hard anymore. I had so many games I thought I would play and never did... now I try to keep a small collection and buy only what I will play and get rid of quickly.

[quote name='Kenshindono']PFFT, thats a drop in the hat. I did have a question for him though: Is that the NBA ps3 game locker in the back? I always wanted one of those =D My backlogs to the point where I dont think i'll ever play them. These are just most of the the 360 games i havent played yet (everything but the very bottom small row above the original xbox, which are games i have played, and the top left half of the top row because those are some wii games i havent played). Theres quite a few more elsewhere, but thats roughly about 80% of my 360 game collection. I dont even want to show you guys the other crap, or the friggin floor

xboxgames.jpg

I actually am a bit curious what my total 'backlog' would be if i totaled up all the PS1, Ps2, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, DC, PSP, DS, GBA, xbox, and 360 games that i havent opened or played would be. I think the only system i dont have a backlog for would be the game gear o_O. Looks like Demons souls is going onto the pile of PS3 games. I actually do want to play this one but my ps3 has been broken for months, and even if it was working, im not sure if id want to open it now with how rare its seeming it will be. maybe i'll get the regular version in a month or 2 when it drops. its good to read some people are getting their amazon orders in correctly though![/QUOTE]

I wanna join the fun too!

DSC00156.jpg

So wheres the thread with all the video game collections, I know we have one...anyways I have my pre-order for the collector's edition ready at my gamestop, anyone know how long they would hold it for? Before putting it on the shelf? Kinda low on GS credit since all my trade ins went to BBY.

[quote name='chingychink2005']So wheres the thread with all the video game collections, I know we have one...anyways I have my pre-order for the collector's edition ready at my gamestop, anyone know how long they would hold it for? Before putting it on the shelf? Kinda low on GS credit since all my trade ins went to BBY.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252007

I also was wondering how long GS holds the items as hopefully I can snag one up if people don't end up picking their copies up.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']

The game is alright so far. I do not have a clue how you are supposed to co op interact with this game... I see people joining me and leaving nonstop 1-2 secs later. I follow them but they just vanish... I had about 30 people so far that joins and vanish right in front of me. Is this a game bug or something? I never played demon souls but trailers for this and how people talked you would stick with them unless they get to far or something from you. They just vanish even when i am keeping up with them. It just odd 30 some people joined me and not one did anything with me and vanish while trying to follow them. I feel like i am in a ghost land and i only get a quick look and they vanish.

.[/QUOTE]

I have not opened my regular copy yet as I am holding out for CE from my preorder.. I have also avoided a lot of the videos, etc. so I can come in fresh.

However are you sure you are not seeing ghosts of other players? That is one reason Deamon Souls was so cool is that you could see what other players did and it was just like a ghost and they would do something and then vanish.. it was a quick look at other players that were in your area....

My order was also delayed by amazon but now it is shipped and should come today! The only problem is that the shipping weight is 0.40 lbs. Looks like I won't be getting a CE. D:

Amazon shipped out my CE (1.20 lb shipment) last night will be delivered today. I know I got CE because that what my order says "Dark Souls Collector Edition". I also got $20 credit for 1 date late delivery which is a good deal for me I guess =)

I'm at university right now but I guess mine got shipped to my house yesterday though it seems they sent me two instead of just one...

[quote name='daver16']I'm at university right now but I guess mine got shipped to my house yesterday though it seems they sent me two instead just one...[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252007

I also was wondering how long GS holds the items as hopefully I can snag one up if people don't end up picking their copies up.[/QUOTE]It probably depends on the GS employees (as is the case for most things pertaining to GS), but the location where I preordered my Dark Souls CE told me that while GS is supposed to hold most preordered titles for 48 hours after the store receives it, they technically hold CEs and rarer games until you come pick it up (i.e. they're not supposed to sell them to other people; on a related note, I got an employee to swear my copy wouldn't be sold to anyone else).

Mine shipped today. 1.3 lbs. I did get the $10 gift card from amazon as well. Being a day late didn't end up mattering bc of ..... Redbox!!!

Btw, I did check stores yesterday. None at Walmart or TRU for those who were asking.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Mine is out for delivery today, 1.20 lbs.

Looks like the CE's are listed for ~$100 at Amazon now through third parties. I wonder if people will actually bite on them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...rect=true&qid=1317818528&sr=8-2&condition=all
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...rect=true&qid=1317818528&sr=8-2&condition=all[/QUOTE]

I'm sure anyone with $ to burn and is a big fan will get it. I was hoping to find one but no luck so i'll hold out for the regular copy sometime by the end of the year. Congrats and enjoy for those that got it, game looks great.

No Beer and no TV make Homer something something...

Amazon shipped my game, 1.10lbs

Everything points to the CE;
Amazon order link directs to the CE edition, picture, and ASIN, plus a CSR told me I was getting one a couple days before shipping.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, they haven't. Josh runs the video game department at Kmart and there is 100% chance you will not find the CE there. I understand that people are desperate, but I'm seeing people lists stores that are not on the list for the CE or don't even carry the regular version and they are wasting their time and burning gas for nothing.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. The whole POINT of posting the comment was to save people time.

The "no harm in looking" is hilarious since it's the equivalent of trying to buy a kitchen table at a car dealership. I didn't say that to keep the stash for myself, I shared the public information from another thread that was explicitly repeated a million times.

If you're in KMart for something else and want to 'check' to ease your mind? Sure whatever, but realize that we know the answer before you even look. Why waste the time and gas?

So I have the CE today from amazon.

Should I sell it for a profit or keep it and sell the opened regular edition I have?

WTF, Dark Souls regular edition is a "restricted item" and it won't let me sell it on amazon.

FYI: When you start your character, I would choose the binoculars as the bonus item.

I chose the The Tiny Being's Ring but it doesn't actually regenerate HP like it says it does, it just gives you 30 extra HP to start with. I'm not sure it's worth it.

After having my pre-order canceled through newegg, I was on a mission to find a CE copy yesterday. After much calling, I rolled in to Gamestop to get the last copy they had in any Jacksonville store. Some fool had taken the CE version back!

[quote name='pukadon']FYI: When you start your character, I would choose the binoculars as the bonus item.

I chose the The Tiny Being's Ring but it doesn't actually regenerate HP like it says it does, it just gives you 30 extra HP to start with. I'm not sure it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

You can get binoculars pretty easy, if you run through the graveyard past the skeletons you can pick it up. Prepare for it to be a suicide run though =)

[quote name='pukadon']FYI: When you start your character, I would choose the binoculars as the bonus item.

I chose the The Tiny Being's Ring but it doesn't actually regenerate HP like it says it does, it just gives you 30 extra HP to start with. I'm not sure it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Ask the risk of derailing, what do the binoculars do?

not sure if this is true, but i heard the master key is the only item that you can not find in game. So that is what i picked as my gift

Sorry, to ask people to repeat this but I've scanned several pages back and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

What is this $20 Gift Card deal with Best Buy? Was it for Tuesday only? Non-CE copies only? I have both 360 and PS3 version of Dark Souls pre-ordered at my local Best Buy but not going to make it into the store until this afternoon.

[quote name='woodcan']Sorry, to ask people to repeat this but I've scanned several pages back and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

What is this $20 Gift Card deal with Best Buy? Was it for Tuesday only? Non-CE copies only? I have both 360 and PS3 version of Dark Souls pre-ordered at my local Best Buy but not going to make it into the store until this afternoon.[/QUOTE]

A lot of stores were giving gift cards to those who preordered the CE but buy a standard version instead

And yes, the master key is not obtainable but every door it opens is able to be opened some other way.

My June 7th order changed to shipping soon last night. I'm with the other CAG that said I don't think they went in order they gave prime members and release day shippers priority on the games.

If they get a copy and I don't based on purchase date, I'm going to be super upset with Amazon.

If others are having issues and just shipping can you help a fellow CAG and list your order date if you know it?

I placed my order for the CE on September 29th. My order is "Shipping Soon". After reading comments I was concerned that I would not get the CE so I contacted customer service via chat. I was told that I would be getting the CE so we will see. I still have doubts.

[quote name='EvilIA']My June 7th order changed to shipping soon last night. I'm with the other CAG that said I don't think they went in order they gave prime members and release day shippers priority on the games.

If they get a copy and I don't based on purchase date, I'm going to be super upset with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I suspect a lot of us are. We're all suffering together against a foe which seems to defeat us at every turn. We get occasional glimpses of others' success or failure, but aside from sharing messages we are limited in what we can do to help each other, and even ourselves. And yet we are convinced there is some hope of success, so we press on, despite the overwhelming odds.

Say, this situation with Amazon reminds me of something else.

[quote name='morrodox']I suspect a lot of us are. We're all suffering together against a foe which seems to defeat us at every turn. We get occasional glimpses of others' success or failure, but aside from sharing messages we are limited in what we can do to help each other, and even ourselves. And yet we are convinced there is some hope of success, so we press on, despite the overwhelming odds.

Say, this situation with Amazon reminds me of something else.[/QUOTE]

I'd say this would be the biggest fuck of the year, but I think that other situation is pretty hard to beat although it isn't specifically videogame related

So after the promise of the CSR yesterday from amazon that i will receive it Oct. 4, I still get it October 5 in the end. Complained to CSR today and they are trying to give me 5$ for the trouble. I said no thanks.

[quote name='Maynard']Man this may be the drama release of the year. This has been interesting to watch...[/QUOTE]

Seriously though.

[quote name='Xenogears']not sure if this is true, but i heard the master key is the only item that you can not find in game. So that is what i picked as my gift[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing but then I picked up another set of the master key last night. It only shows that I have one though.

On a side note my package weighs 1.20 lbs. it should be the collector's edition right?

[quote name='elevendy']I thought the same thing but then I picked up another set of the master key last night. It only shows that I have one though.[/QUOTE]

You sure its a second one of the master key? Not another type of key? I haven't looked at much info about the game except for some tips on starting class and gift. Everything I've read says master key can't be found in the main game. It doesn't really matter, since other keys will do the same thing, but if your a competitionist like me and want every item I'd pick the master key. Unless more people confirm what you said it still seems like its the only item you can't find in game.

And pyromancer seems like it is the best class, In general. Others may be better for specific things, but it seems like in the end it will get a few more skill points than others overall, and can be made into any type of build pretty well since it starts at level 1. kind of confusing. In Demon's souls all the classes had the same stat levels in the end, but in this one people are saying that there can be 1-6 points difference, with pyromancer having the most. no one seems to know for sure though

k, done being off topic.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Thank you. The whole POINT of posting the comment was to save people time.

The "no harm in looking" is hilarious since it's the equivalent of trying to buy a kitchen table at a car dealership. I didn't say that to keep the stash for myself, I shared the public information from another thread that was explicitly repeated a million times.

If you're in KMart for something else and want to 'check' to ease your mind? Sure whatever, but realize that we know the answer before you even look. Why waste the time and gas?[/QUOTE]

When the store is literally next door to my office and within walking distance, it's neither a waste of time or gas. While Josh has shown himself to be reliable, it certainly wouldn't be the first time someone would insider knowledge got it wrong, case in point all the CSR conversations ppl have had in this thread.

[quote name='HakaHina']Actually, does anyone have advice on how to remove the sticker residue from the slipcover/tin case? Kinda annoys me[/QUOTE]
Use the sticker itself to pull off the residue by pressing down lightly on an area and ripping it up quickly. This will remove the majority of residue easily without damaging the tin. Use soapy, warm water on a washcloth to easily wipe away the little that remains.

So on a whim yesterday, I stopped at GS to pick up the guide seeing as Amazon wasn't going to ship anytime soon. Asked if they had any cancellations for the CE and he said no. He then picked up a PS3 CE from the counter and said, but we did get an extra copy. ELLE OH ELLE. Bought it and the guide without a second thought. Went down the strip to Best Buy, canceled my pre-order and got the manager to agree to $20 off my PotC4 and Cars 2 reserves when they come in.

Going to keep my second copy from Amazon sealed to go with my other sealed Demon's Souls CE on display. Funny how things work out. ;)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the tin is awesome. Love the art on it and not disappointed it's not a case for the game itself at all. Art book is sweet, if not cost effective heh. Definitely worth the effort to me even if the art book is a bit cheap on materials used.

bread's done
Back