Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mad dog']They're officially OoS online (amazon and book depository) and going for about $60 from private sellers. I checked my Book Depository order and the status is "Awaiting Publication" so there must be a second run coming out after the initial run.[/QUOTE]
Publication date has been Oct 7th for weeks on BD, that's when they should likely ship out.

Well after an Amazon CS rep told me that they outsold their allotment and that my order was actually a backorder, I caved in and went to Gamestop to pick up the regular edition and the guide.

Around 11PM last night I checked my email to find that my Collector's Edition had shipped. Now I have no idea what to do with it. :S

[quote name='helmet']Well after an Amazon CS rep told me that they outsold their allotment and that my order was actually a backorder, I caved in and went to Gamestop to pick up the regular edition and the guide.

Around 11PM last night I checked my email to find that my Collector's Edition had shipped. Now I have no idea what to do with it. :S[/QUOTE]

Put it away in the closet, it will be worth something. I promise! but shhh, don't tell anyone. :]

[quote name='helmet']Well after an Amazon CS rep told me that they outsold their allotment and that my order was actually a backorder, I caved in and went to Gamestop to pick up the regular edition and the guide.

Around 11PM last night I checked my email to find that my Collector's Edition had shipped. Now I have no idea what to do with it. :S[/QUOTE]

open CE edition, take game out, return to gamestop. profit?

[quote name='mythus']open CE edition, take game out, return to gamestop. profit?[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But will I also have to return the guide because of the 10% discount for buying both? Cause I already opened it. :(

10yrs down the line...

STORAGE WARS v2!

Trailer trash fat man: I just won this locker for 250 bucks! Let's see what we can find.
Trailer trash fat man: Looks like this person was a video games collector, let's see what's in this box....
Trailer trash fat man: What's this???? A sealed copy of Dark Souls Collector's Edition!! Yeahh baby!!! This is why I love my job. This little tin can paid for the locker....

[quote name='morrodox']I suspect a lot of us are. We're all suffering together against a foe which seems to defeat us at every turn. We get occasional glimpses of others' success or failure, but aside from sharing messages we are limited in what we can do to help each other, and even ourselves. And yet we are convinced there is some hope of success, so we press on, despite the overwhelming odds.
[/QUOTE]

Are you describing your preorder or playing the game? :whistle2:k

Called my BB today after being denied the $20 GC yesterday evening and they are now offering it. Chances are everyone who was denied yesterday is because the employees were not aware of the memo / too lazy to try and find it, so if you'd rather have STD for $20 less than try and hunt down a CE, give it another shot.

[quote name='The Burnin8or']Are there any unlocks or anything in Dark Souls if it sees a saved game for Demon's Souls on your system?[/QUOTE]

No, because it's not really a sequel, it's more of a spiritual successor.

[quote name='SnoT']It might show in stock. But they are "supposed" to hold all pre-orders for 48hours. So if any of those CE's are pre-ordered they might tell you they don't have any.

The on hand count I'm pretty sure will take into account those so the numbers might be higher then they should be.[/QUOTE]

48 hours from when? opening or closing?

[quote name='Beatofficer']No, because it's not really a sequel, it's more of a spiritual successor.[/QUOTE]

Great. I didn't think so because of that, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Okay, I ordered March 11, so I was reserving my rage until I contacted them. TL : DR version - CE on its way, Amazon bombarded with complaints yesterday, received special advisory about it, my order coming 10-7-11.

Here is my transcript from the Amazon CS rep this morning:

I just wanted to confirm the version of Dark Souls that is shipping out and when it is scheduled to ship09:56:56

Me:Hi Nick!09:57:05

Nick:Hello _____, my name is Nick. I'll be happy to help you.09:57:10
Nick:I'd be glad to check that for you Shayne and confirm the version for you. Can you help me with the order #?09:57:32

Me:I placed this order on March 11, just wanted to confirm the ship date and version info. Order number is #XXXXXXXXXX .09:58:00

Nick:Thank you so much.09:58:30

Me:There has been a lot of frustration with this item from the community. Wanted to make sure that I am getting what I ordered. Thanks for checking for me.09:59:04

Nick:Yes, I received a lot of complaints from my end too especially yesterday. Upon checking. Since you placed this order before Sept 20, you will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge automatically, no action is required to receive this upgrade on your end.10:00:43

Nick:As for the ship date, I'm showing that we are already preparing the items for shipment and we should be able to ship out today or tomorrow the latest. We still expect your item to be delivered Oct 7.10:02:02

Me:I just wanted to confirm. I know the only real way to know is by the shipping weight once it is processed (1.2lbs vs 0.3lbs for std edition). I am relieved to know that a 7 month lead time was enough to ensure it. That is great news, though. I will keep an eye on it and if there are any problems, I will definitely get back in touch.10:02:57

Nick:We would be glad to assist you. I double checked on your item since we did receive advisory regarding this yesterday about the upgrades. And everything looks good on your order. You have nothing to worry about.10:04:05

Nick:Anything else I can help you with today?10:04:11

Me:No, thanks so much Nick, I appreciate the input and will be eagerly awaiting it! Thanks again!10:04:59

Nick:We hope to see you again soon!10:05:12

So in short, I am still slightly skeptical, but it looks like all signs point to CE. I concur with you all, Kmart, BB, Fred Meyer in the area OOS. Bad luck for many of us, but really the blame is on Namco-Bandai for being shortsighted. The exception is if a retailer guaranteed a CE. It was always known to be "while supplies last", so it really is a bum deal.

What a cluster fuck

Still haven't gotten my copy yet, scheduled be delivered today. Glad I preordered over 6 months ago. sent an email to cs and called, no compensation.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Called my BB today after being denied the $20 GC yesterday evening and they are now offering it. Chances are everyone who was denied yesterday is because the employees were not aware of the memo / too lazy to try and find it, so if you'd rather have STD for $20 less than try and hunt down a CE, give it another shot.[/QUOTE]

I too did not get a $20 GC yesterday when I got my standard instead of CE, but picked it up anyway (haven't opened it yet). Did you do the same and are they allowing you to go back and get your GC?

My CE was just delivered according to a text message from Amazon. I would not have played it last night anyhow, I want to watch a few tutorial videos first so I'm not completely frustrated. I am hearing that the co-op is not like DS so no playing with friends, boo.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Called my BB today after being denied the $20 GC yesterday evening and they are now offering it. Chances are everyone who was denied yesterday is because the employees were not aware of the memo / too lazy to try and find it, so if you'd rather have STD for $20 less than try and hunt down a CE, give it another shot.[/QUOTE]

I know it's childish but this statement just made me LOL.

[quote name='DesertLeo']Well, I'm one of those who had theirs shipped from Indiana, and it says that today its out for delivery.

So I guess we'll see....[/QUOTE]

Just got mine, Leo. PS3 CE version! You should be good too, dude. ;)

When did you pre-order?

Does Funcoland even exist anymore? I know there were a few near me back in the 90s, but every funcoland I knew of was replaced by gamestop or ebgames. Which is a shame, because I always liked Funco better. They didn't bombard you the instant you walked in the door with preorder requests.

[quote name='EvilIA']When did you pre-order?[/QUOTE]

Something like September 25th or 26th, wasn't an upgrade but a direct CE purchase when they went back up briefly.

[quote name='testaroo']I know it's childish but this statement just made me LOL.[/QUOTE]

LOL i know! i was gonna quote it and mention syphilis but my better judgement advised me not to. im glad someone shares my sense of humor.

The Collector's Edition from Amazon which I ordered on May 13th still hasn't shipped (due Oct 12-17).

The Limited Edition from Zavvi (UK) which I ordered yesterday as a backup plan just shipped (not even released yet).

You can't explain that.

Just got my Amazon order. I pre-ordered on Sept 22 and still got a CE (came in perfect condition).
Plus an extra $5 from Amazon CS. So that thing about having to pre-order before Sept 20 to get a CE isn't correct.

Game is sadistic and will demand thousands of hours from you. Avoid unless you like to suffer. This is coming from an RPG nut familiar with Demon's Souls. Avoid these games. I have played them. You do not want to develop the feelings of hatred and wasted time I have.

[quote name='gokuofheaven']With patiencei was able to find an extra copy at a Gamestop during my lunch break. Just plain luck.[/QUOTE]

Same here. The GS by my college had a CE for both systems.

It's worth a shot trying your local GS if you're still in the hunt.

[quote name='kfrancia']Just got my Amazon order. I pre-ordered on Sept 22 and still got a CE (came in perfect condition).
Plus an extra $5 from Amazon CS. So that thing about having to pre-order before Sept 20 to get a CE isn't correct.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that perhaps the memo handed down from management at Amazon in response to the complaints probably said that they need to be sure to 1st come 1st serve these CEs. That might be what happened. I am sure some people slipped thru that had RDD shipping or Prime. I just ordered with plain ol 2 day shipping.

FWIW.

Yet another chat session. Answers question of who gets first pick of CEs. Going by the weight, with a previous post as evidence, it seems like I am definitely getting one.

You are now connected to Swarna Latha from Amazon.com.

Me:103-0941296-212660512:29:38 PM

Swarna Latha:Hello, my name is Swarna.12:29:51 PM

Me:Hi. I know I have written about this before and I apologize.12:30:03 PM

Me:But I am just extremely concerned.12:30:22 PM

Me:I placed this pre-order back in May and was told I wold receive a free upgrade to the Collector's Edition.12:30:45 PM

Me:However, there are reports of it being sold out everywhere.12:31:02 PM

Me:I chose a cheaper shipping option at first but changed it yesterday so I would get it sooner.12:31:19 PM

Me:But I am still concerned that all of the Collector's Editions have already been shipped to people who use Amazon Prime, and that mine is now gone.12:31:42 PM

Swarna Latha:I've checked your order and see that there is a note on your account saying that this will be upgraded to Collector's Edition for no extra charge automatically, no action is required to receive this upgrade on existing pre-orders.12:32:30 PM

Me:Yes I was told that as well.12:33:08 PM

Me:However, there are reports that all of the Collector's Editions are gone, there aren't any left.12:33:24 PM

Me:Has one been set aside for my order?12:33:38 PM

Swarna Latha:When you pre order any item on our website we assign orders based on first come first serve.12:34:23 PM

Swarna Latha:Hence we give priority for the customers who preorders.12:34:50 PM

Me:So, if someone ordered after me, but paid for Prime shipping (so their order would SHIP first), I would still get a Collector's Edition set aside for me before they did?12:35:18 PM

Me:Because I ORDERED first?12:35:36 PM

Swarna Latha:Shipping may be upgraded but order date is considered.12:36:15 PM

Me:So I am definitely getting Collector's Edition, and it has already been set aside from me, and is just waiting to ship?12:38:02 PM

Swarna Latha:Yes Christopher, you'll receive the Collector's Edition, and I see that the order has entered shipping process.12:38:37 PM

Swarna Latha:We're proceeding with your order.12:38:46 PM

Me: Does it say in your system how much the package weighs?12:39:05 PM

Me:people are using that to determine for certain which version is being sent to them.12:39:26 PM

Swarna Latha:Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds12:39:42 PM

Me:Thanks. Just 1 more question, then I'll leave you alone.12:40:58 PM

Me:Can you check whether it is being sent in a bubble envelope, or a cardboard box?12:41:21 PM

Swarna Latha:I'm sorry but packaging details are not provided in the order.12:43:06 PM

Me:Ok thanks anyway.12:43:18 PM

Swarna Latha:Thanks for your understanding.12:43:31 PM

Me:Guess I can return it if it's a bubble mailer and the game gets dented.12:43:33 PM

Me: Done that before.12:43:35 PM

Me:Can you send a copy of this chat to my email?12:43:54 PM

Swarna Latha:Rest assured you'll receive collectoral edition,12:44:00 PM

Swarna Latha:If you have any problem we'll be happy help you.12:44:25 PM

Me:Ok, thanks.12:44:31 PM

Swarna Latha:I'll send you chat conversation.12:44:44 PM

Me:Thanks.12:44:49 PM

[quote name='gokuofheaven']With patients i was able to find an extra copy at a Gamestop during my lunch break. Just plain luck.[/QUOTE]

Good for you, but what about those of us who aren't doctors? :cool:

I just got back from Wal-Mart, and went to see if they had any Collector's Editions for shits and giggles. I didn't even see any space on the shelves for the regular edition, let alone special. When I asked if they had any regulars, they did not even seem to know that they were supposed to have the game period. They looked it up on the computer and had no record of any kind of stock. This is not a backwoods Wal-Mart either. I live in a decent-sized city. Oh well $10 Best Buy credit ftw.

[quote name='Erabiont']I just got back from Wal-Mart, and went to see if they had any Collector's Editions for shits and giggles. I didn't even see any space on the shelves for the regular edition, let alone special.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my Wally didn't have it either. Perhaps Dark Souls REFUSED to be sold at Wal-Mart.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Same here. The GS by my college had a CE for both systems.

It's worth a shot trying your local GS if you're still in the hunt.[/QUOTE]

From what i heard at some GS is that people were canceling their CE pre-order pickups and bought something else. Strange. Guess those people didn't know the current situation.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Game is sadistic and will demand thousands of hours from you. Avoid unless you like to suffer. This is coming from an RPG nut familiar with Demon's Souls. Avoid these games. I have played them. You do not want to develop the feelings of hatred and wasted time I have.[/QUOTE]
Great review; would read again.

Got my CE today, (shipped from Whitestown, IN) a day past the 'Release Date Delivery', but oh well. Came in a nice cardboard box so everything was in perfect shape. Amazon gave me $5.00 for the trouble.

Now to play to and die!

[quote name='Erabiont']I just got back from Wal-Mart, and went to see if they had any Collector's Editions for shits and giggles. I didn't even see any space on the shelves for the regular edition, let alone special. When I asked if they had any regulars, they did not even seem to know that they were supposed to have the game period. They looked it up on the computer and had no record of any kind of stock. This is not a backwoods Wal-Mart either. I live in a decent-sized city. Oh well $10 Best Buy credit ftw.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I was disappointed with Newegg, Best Buy, and now WalMart.

[quote name='Kyoz']10yrs down the line...

STORAGE WARS v2!

Trailer trash fat man: I just won this locker for 250 bucks! Let's see what we can find.
Trailer trash fat man: Looks like this person was a video games collector, let's see what's in this box....
Trailer trash fat man: What's this???? A sealed copy of Dark Souls Collector's Edition!! Yeahh baby!!! This is why I love my job. This little tin can paid for the locker....[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, I was just watching the whole first season of storage war on Netflix...anyways, I answered my own question by calling Gamestop. They will hold a pre-order for 48 hours, company policy. But you can contact them and let them know to hold it for like a week or so if you're waiting to get paid and such. Will be getting mines collector's edition since I get paid tomorrow.:) But for those out of luck and looking into Gamestop, I say wait till tomorrow since I would think that some people will likely forget to pick it up or wait to pick it up.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Game is sadistic and will demand thousands of hours from you. Avoid unless you like to suffer. This is coming from an RPG nut familiar with Demon's Souls. Avoid these games. I have played them. You do not want to develop the feelings of hatred and wasted time I have.[/QUOTE]

This made me LOOOL!

Cry harder :applause:

edit: "This is coming from an RPG nut familiar with Demon's Souls." Your PSN ID states otherwise...
Demon's Souls (US)
1 of 38 Trophies
Last trophy: 12th Oct 2009
http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=elektrodragon

[quote name='chingychink2005']Holy crap, I was just watching the whole first season of storage war on Netflix...anyways, I answered my own question by calling Gamestop. They will hold a pre-order for 48 hours, company policy. But you can contact them and let them know to hold it for like a week or so if you're waiting to get paid and such. Will be getting mines collector's edition since I get paid tomorrow.:) But for those out of luck and looking into Gamestop, I say wait till tomorrow since I would think that some people will likely forget to pick it up or wait to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

thumbs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up the guide at Gamestop today for $23.xx after tax with PUR Pro. The cashier convinced the guy in front of me to preorder a Call of Duty Elite subscription because they might run out -_-.

I'm debating whether to sell the CE or regular since I picked up the regular at Kmart yesterday and I don't really need the digital download stuff since I have the guide.

@Kyoz, there are two types of gamers- those who have a Platinum in Demon's Souls and those who don't ;)

I preordered the guide at amazon at september 23rd and now I get some thing saying they dont know if or when it will ship and I have to approve my order to make sure Im still interested... great.

Did any best buys get the guide in? I got a 30 dollar gift card there that would be perfect for this.

I got my CE for 360 from Amazon today. I reordered mine on Sept 25th after canceling my first order when it was first available for preorder. I was on fence about if I should get it on release day or not...

I think this is pretty lame for the CE content. You can only download it for 24 hours? Why didn't we get the soundtrack and behind the scenes on disc like the UK?

Complete the form below to access the bonus content download page. All fields are required.
Your code allows access to downloads for twenty-four (24) hours. Limit one (1) use of the special download code per person per purchase.

So some GameStops have spares? Might be worth checking out but it's such a mess already. Seems like Namco should be better about letting retailers know when to stop taking preorders (or retailers to be mindful since GS did stop taking preorders early).

[quote name='prateeko']So some GameStops have spares? Might be worth checking out but it's such a mess already. Seems like Namco should be better about letting retailers know when to stop taking preorders (or retailers to be mindful since GS did stop taking preorders early).[/QUOTE]
It is in fact your only chance to find one at retail.

[quote name='Jodou']It is in fact your only chance to find one at retail.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is another but chances are slim. I traded in games earlier and this particular BB (relatively high traffic store) still had one :360: CE up for grabs.

I recommend making the GS rounds first then stop by your BB if it's along the way.

Edit: Better chances to get one tomorrow as preorder holds expire as other CAGs have said.

[quote name='prateeko']So some GameStops have spares?[/QUOTE]

Mine told me they only got enough to fill the pre-orders, so if they have any it will be from people canceling their pre or just not picking it up. Said typically they'll hold them for 48 hours, so tomorrow is the earliest they would put them out for sale.

BTW from Namco website while looking for a solution as to why it won't take my CE code.

Dark Souls - The retailer didn't have my CE?
space.gif
Solution We would like to apologize to all of our customers who pre-ordered a copy of this title and did not receive their copy from the retailer. The Dark Souls Collector's Edition was available from participating retailers (as listed on the Preparetodie website) while supplies lasted. If you didn't receive your copy from the retailer where you pre-ordered your game, the best course of action for this would be to try contacting the retailer where it was pre-ordered. Unfortunately, we do not have any copies of the Dark Souls Collector's Edition as all copies were sent to the retailers while supplies lasted.

Sincerely,
Customer Support

And a response from tech at Namco on problem redeeming CE content...

We are aware of the issues you may be having with the Dark Souls website and apologize for the inconvenience. We are currently in the process of resolving the issue for reaccessing the content. Rest assured that you will receive your content once the problem with the website has been corrected. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] with your full name, redemption code, and e-mail address and we will send an e-mail with instructions on how to download your content once the matter has been resolved.

bread's done
Back