Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

[quote name='guardian_owl']I always wondered who the Duke was in "The Duke's Archives," it's Seath the Scaleless, he was made a Duke by Lord Gwyn (according to the Anor Londo fire keeper) which just seems incredibly funny to me for some reason. Made the jump to the Avelyn crossbow on the bookcase though it took me 3 tries, I did it the proper way (jumping off the bottom of the staircase as it rotates) instead of the method in the wiki.[/QUOTE]

I've never even heard of this. Though I think I do remember seeing a treasure up there early on when I first went in to the library. Is it worth getting, or are you just getting it 'cause it's there?

It's supposed to be a pretty sweet crossbow for medium-ranged, Avelyn, it fires 3 bolts simultaneously so it can dish out some serious damage. I thought it might be required for the weapon trophy since it is such a pain to get to, but apparently not according to the wiki.

Basically get to that first swiveling staircase over the entrance to the archives. Turn it around and step onto the lower level on the west side of the archives and open your inventory to autosave so your bloodstain won't weird out. Rotate the stairs once to get into position, then start the rotation again and move down to the bottom of the stairs while it is moving. Jump off while the end of the staircase is a little over halfway between two bookcases, your circular momentum will carry you the rest of the way to the top of the bookcase.

Yeah you don't need it for the trophy, but it can be fun in PvP. I upgraded mine to a lightning Avelyn and used lightning bolts with it and it was alright.

I tried and tried to figure out how to get to that chest on the bookcase. I tried jumping while the staircase was turning, and just couldn't do it. I still think there's a way to turn the staircase so the gap in the handrails is empty and somehow turn the other stair case so you can reach it, and then simply fall down upon the bookshelf.

I don't think so. I think you gotta walk (don't need to run and/or jump) off the staircase while it's turning. I actually got it on my second try, but maybe that was luck. I did use Fall Control so I wasn't hurt or stunned when I landed, so I didn't die to the skeleton archers.

You get a scream when you land if you miss the bookcases which means it is a fall you cannot survive. I wore the ring of fog so that when I landed on the bookcase (knocked out half my health at 25 vit) the archers didn't bother me, then I used homeward to return to the bonfire at the other end of the archives.

That's at first is what I thought too which is why I was hitting walls on the northern side of the archive looking for illusionary walls to reach that ledge, but there aren't any. The only way to access the ledge that you want to drop off is via the rotating staircase. There is a way to glitch the game a little so that when you load up your save file the stairs are on the wrong side, via the wiki.

1.)Position the stairs so that you can reach the lower platform you want to jump off
2.)walk down off the stairs onto that ledge and open and close your inventory to auto-save and wait a few seconds.
3.)Go back and turn the staircase the other direction, save and quit while still on the stairs.
4.)When you reload you will load up on the last place which was solid ground (the game doesn't consider the stairs solid ground) which is the ledge you want to jump off of and the stairs will still be in their last orientation, allowing you to jump.

So I been helping people with quelaag then ornstein and smough tonight. Helped defeat Quelaag twice and O&S three times. One time in Anor Londo i was summoned into dark Anor and there was nothing to do. The guy just keep goofing around til he finally banished me. Whats the deal? My Anor Londo is not dark and Im a chaos servant if that matters.

I just finished off Seath the Scaleless. (I gotta say, Nito/4Kings/Seath/Bed of Chaos were all disappointingly easy for the penultimate tier of bosses.)
Seath was incredibly hard until I gave up on slicing off his tail for the Moonlight sword and simply destroyed him. The damn tail tip was always in the wall or rotating away before coming back to slap me or swipe me.
If I join someone else's game as a phantom I don't suppose I can loot it with them can I?

[quote name='burz88']One time in Anor Londo i was summoned into dark Anor and there was nothing to do. The guy just keep goofing around til he finally banished me. Whats the deal? My Anor Londo is not dark and Im a chaos servant if that matters.[/QUOTE]
Anor Londo turns Dark if you
"kill" Gwynevere, the lady who gave you the Lordsvessel, with a projectile
. Those of the Darkmoon covenant can invade Dark Anor Londo and kill the host to get a souvenir of reprisal. What he was probably doing was summoning you to help with ambushing Darkmoon invaders for souls and LOLs.
[quote name='looploop']Seath was incredibly hard until I gave up on slicing off his tail for the Moonlight sword and simply destroyed him. The damn tail tip was always in the wall or rotating away before coming back to slap me or swipe me.
If I join someone else's game as a phantom I don't suppose I can loot it with them can I?[/QUOTE]
Nope, not unless he drops the item on the ground for you to pick up.

[quote name='looploop']I just finished off Seath the Scaleless. (I gotta say, Nito/4Kings/Seath/Bed of Chaos were all disappointingly easy for the penultimate tier of bosses.) [/QUOTE]

Well, like most bosses, it depends on your level and equipment (except for Bed of Cheapness). 4 Kings can be a bitch, especially on NG+.

[quote name='looploop']I just finished off Seath the Scaleless. (I gotta say, Nito/4Kings/Seath/Bed of Chaos were all disappointingly easy for the penultimate tier of bosses.)
Seath was incredibly hard until I gave up on slicing off his tail for the Moonlight sword and simply destroyed him. The damn tail tip was always in the wall or rotating away before coming back to slap me or swipe me.
If I join someone else's game as a phantom I don't suppose I can loot it with them can I?[/QUOTE]

I had a lot of trouble getting the Moonlight Sword too, until I followed the wiki. You need to stand over by the Chrystal and let him get as close as possible. When he gets ready to attack, run behind him; he'll finish the attack he's started and take out the Chrystal himself. Once the Crystal is destroyed, he'll be immobile for a few seconds. From there, you can hit the very tip of the middle tail until it falls on the floor. After the new patch, you get the sword automatically. From there, you're free to take him out however is easiest.

I managed to summon two white phantoms and messaged them via XMB that I wanted the tail. They were nice enough to stand in front of Seath and distract him (he kept using his crystal breath) while I stood behind him and whacked away at the tail until it came off. Them we gang-raped him. If you have extra humanity, I recommend trying to do it that way.

[quote name='Backlash']Well, like most bosses, it depends on your level and equipment (except for Bed of Cheapness). 4 Kings can be a bitch, especially on NG+.[/QUOTE]

Heh - Bed of Cheapness indeed. I hadn't played in a few days but my son insisted that I play Dark Souls before he went to bed tonight. Well, I just happened to be ready for Bed of Chaos when I last quit.

First I went to Firelink, talked to Siegelund, then went to Ash Lake and got the slab - no probs...

Then I took the Izaleth shortcut to get to Bed of Chaos. By the way, that would be a pain without the shortcut. Can you open that up from the other side even if you aren't in the Chaos covenant?

Talk about Cheapness... Ugh, it is one of the easiest bosses in principal but I got knocked into the bottomless pit at least 8 or 9 times. And I knew what to do going in. I got the first orb thing done no problem. Then I kept getting knocked by his swipe attack into a hole - like 5 or 6 times. Finally I got to the second orb. Then it took me a few more tried to figure out to bait and wait. That is, wait until he does his two opposite swipe attacks. At that point, if he doesn't also hit you with the fire beam then you run and jump to the ramp. That took me 2 tries, though, because apparently you have to go a little to the right when you jump. However, once there, it was pretty easy. I just mad rolled through all the brambles. When I finally got to the reddish thing at the end I was expecting some sort of epic battle. D'oh! One hit and I get the trophy :lol:.

Then I went to visit Quelana and got the last pyro - popped another Silver there (two within minutes of each other - a rarity in Dark Souls!).

So now all I have left is Nito I guess. I haven't gone past the end of the Catacombs yet.

By the way, Jodou, if you are still reading this, I have a question. Didn't you say something about being able to wait to upgrade the Pyro flame until Bed of Chaos in your walkthrough? I was wondering why as that is one battle where I didn't use any spells or pyro - can't really see using it there in any circumstance. I didn't really need it all that much leading up to it either, though it is nice to pyro the prowling demon (who dropped another Catch Pole for me tonight by the way). I mean, it was very useful for much of the game before that point, but I don't see why there. Or did you mean for the end battle (after Bed of Chaos)?

[quote name='io']By the way, Jodou, if you are still reading this, I have a question. Didn't you say something about being able to wait to upgrade the Pyro flame until Bed of Chaos in your walkthrough? I was wondering why as that is one battle where I didn't use any spells or pyro - can't really see using it there in any circumstance. I didn't really need it all that much leading up to it either, though it is nice to pyro the prowling demon (who dropped another Catch Pole for me tonight by the way). I mean, it was very useful for much of the game before that point, but I don't see why there. Or did you mean for the end battle (after Bed of Chaos)?[/QUOTE]
The guide is probably wrong because it said you needed to have your pyro flame at +10 before the bitch in the swamp would talk to you for training. That's the only reason why you needed to power it up before bed of chaos, so that you could accept her quest needed to get the final pyro spells. It really wouldn't shock me if my intel was wrong because that guide was so full of misinformation to begin with.

Eh, it's not that bad, I imagine the distance is about tit for tat between the 2nd bonfire in Lost Izzy (inside the taller 2nd tower) and via the shortcut from the bonfire in Daughter of Chaos. Now that the dinos have a much shorter agro range post-patch you can probably run through the lava in Lost Izzy without having to kill any. Put on a ring of fog once you get off the lava and you can waltz by the demon statues unmolested.

The guide was warning you (I assume) to fully upgrade your pyro flame before you do Bed of Chaos because after you do Bed of Chaos the next time you talk to Quelana she will give you the final pyro spell and leave till NG+.

Side note, invisible walkways in the Crystal Cave? Really? If I wasn't able to play this game online (and thus see the messages written on the invisible walkway) I would have been wondering for the longest time WTH I was supposed to do.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Eh, it's not that bad, I imagine the distance is about tit for tat between the 2nd bonfire in Lost Izzy (inside the taller 2nd tower) and via the shortcut from the bonfire in Daughter of Chaos. Now that the dinos have a much shorter agro range post-patch you can probably run through the lava in Lost Izzy without having to kill any. Put on a ring of fog once you get off the lava and you can waltz by the demon statues unmolested.

Side note, invisible walkways in the Crystal Cave? Really? If I wasn't able to play this game online (and thus see the messages written on the invisible walkway) I would have been wondering for the longest time WTH I was supposed to do.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can run through the dino area with aggroing any of them now. I used the shortcut in NG (though I also beat the Centipede Demon and all that anyway). Went the long way in NG+ with no problems.

The patch actually added a couple of dev messages onto the invisible walkways, so you'd see those even if you weren't online.

BTW, I felt inspired after getting through Anor Londo last night on my no-level run and made up this song, sung to the tune of Like a Virgin by Madonna:

I got to Anor Londo
Somehow I made it through
To the archer silver knights:
I gotta say fffffff uuuuuuuuuuuuu

I can't use many tools
No Drake Sword, no lightning spear
Cause my stats are low
Yeah, they kinda blow
But I'm helping newbs

[Chorus]:
Like a Dark Lord
Trying for a no-level run
Like a Dark Lord
With a twisted
Sense of fun

Gonna upgrade my handaxe
My fear is fading fast
Finally got the LordVessel
Now I can warp at last

Where to go with these souls?
New Londo? Or maybe Catacombs?
Cause I can't use spells
To help where Nito dwells
Or the Darkwraiths roam

(Chorus)

Oooh, oooh, oooh

A Sunbro, see me glow
I log on to Ventrilo
And throw down my sign
We have a damn good time
Killing Ornstein and Smough

(chorus)

Like a Dark Lord, ooh, ooh
Like a Dark Lord
I got that backstab
When you lock on, and I roll past, and you faceplant

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Ohh, baby
Can you see my bloodstain
For the very last time?

Well I wrapped up NG today. What irks/amuses me most is that after defeating everything the game threw at me i never could take out that bloody Hellkite Dragon.

I tried one last time before taking down Gwyn and 2-handed the thing down to a sliver of health with my +5 Greatsword of Artorias. Then the bastard backed off and started razing me from the air. He flew back over me THREE fucking times without pause and no room to recover. Goddamn you, Hellkite Dragon.

edit: Though now I wish I had thought of casting flash sweat before taking him on.

[quote name='looploop']
edit: Though now I wish I had thought of casting flash sweat before taking him on.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't really help, I had flame ring, dragon shield, and flash sweat and his overhead flame attacks still roast the shit out of me. He is just a really tough nut to crack for a paltry 10K souls.

I told you guys that you could kill the Hellkite Dragon with like 5 hits with Great Heavy Soul Arrows. If you really want to kill him, equip the Bellowing Dragon Ring and just get in that sniper spot by the rat cave, use your bow to aim for his head, then switch to your magic and hit him with soul arrows. Once you get a confirmed hit, switch from soul arrows to Great Heavy Soul Arrows (or even soul spear if you have the intelligence level).

He tried to regen but he didn't regen all the way and i was able to take him down before he could get to full health. I also kind of timed it just right so when he was leaping back upon his perch, I could start casting my GH Soul Arrow and hit him just as he landed and his head dropped within my sights.

oy, I must have missed that post. I played the game without ever using any sorcery though now I wonder if I could've streamlined some battles that way.

I just took him out with the dragonslayer bow from down beneath the bridge.
Quick question, I have just finished all the lord souls. If I feed the souls to the Lordvessel, is that the point of no return?

[quote name='burz88']I just took him out with the dragonslayer bow from down beneath the bridge.
Quick question, I have just finished all the lord souls. If I feed the souls to the Lordvessel, is that the point of no return?[/QUOTE]

No, the death of Lord Gwyn is the point of no return. You can enter and exit the Kiln as much as you like until then. If you haven't gotten some of the black knight weapons until now then this is an excellent time to farm them from Gwyn's guards.

Kiln is also a great place to farm chunks of all colors, as they're guaranteed drops.

For the hellkite, if you don't want to try to melee him (which I thought was the point of fighting him, since he doesn't give many souls), then probably you could cheese him with poison arrows. Haven't tried it myself though.

Hellkite you just bait onto the bridge, slam him with a sprinting heavy 2H attack as he's landing still, and duck below the bridge after. I think it took five hits from my Black Knight Greatsword to down him.

Just got to 4 kings last night. Ugh, what a pain the first time through when you are not properly prepared. Forgot to 2-hand the Flamesword. Think I killed the first one before the second one disposed of me properly for my lack of planning.

Is it worth trying to bring in a phantom with you to that fight?

I think so, as long as the phantom is good at dealing damage (since of course enemies gain HP when you have a helper). And you can always grab Beatrice (NPC phantom) to go along with whatever human phantom you summon (I wouldn't summon just Beatrice, though).

Ascended Pyromancy also works great on them. Great fireball and Fire Orb took out the first two Kings very quickly for me, the second two fell easily to great combustion and some 2-handed action.

I just loaded myself up with Havel's armor, two-handed Quelaag's Fury Sword, and went to town on them. Before that I could only get through 1 or 2. I had no luck using pyro on them as it is way too slow. But maybe it was because I wasn't using the Havel's armor when I tried that - they would knock me down, drain my health, etc and I was spending too much time dealing with that. With the Havel stuff you can stand there and take their hits and just have to heal a couple times the entire fight.

[quote name='Backlash']I think so, as long as the phantom is good at dealing damage (since of course enemies gain HP when you have a helper). And you can always grab Beatrice (NPC phantom) to go along with whatever human phantom you summon (I wouldn't summon just Beatrice, though).[/QUOTE]

Don't summon Beatrice. She sucks and another phantom means the 4 Kings have more HP.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Don't summon Beatrice. She sucks and another phantom means the 4 Kings have more HP.[/QUOTE]

Do they have more HP with 3 phantoms than with 2? I thought it was just one bump once you get to 2. In which case summoning Beatrice as a 3rd helper makes sense.

For the kings, I didn't really even do anything special. I got the bonfire kindled up to 20 and just kept hitting them until they died. From what I could tell, they just keep respawning until you kill them, b/c I killed 3 of them and two were attacking me at once, but I kept on attacking and the big enemy life bar kept going down. THey weren't even all dead when their life went to zero and the fight was over. So, I don't think there's any strategy other than keep hitting the R1 button and then back away and heal when you need to...

Yeah Four Kings seemed really easy, though I did pretty much tank the whole game. I can never bring myself to use magic in these types of games. I think the only spell I used all game was cast light for Tomb of the Giants, no pyromancy either.

Easy 4 Kings strategy:

1. Kindle a bonfire to 20 Estus.
2. Wear Havel's Armor
3. 2 hand your weapon with Grass Crest Shield on your back.
4. Eat a Green Blossom.
5. Hack away.
6. Heal whenever you go below 50% or every time you beat a king.

4 kings was pretty easy with Havel's armor. Too bad I had to do it a third time due to getting distracted by work. Was down to the last king and forgot to heal. Need to remember what to do next.

Honestly guys, I didn't even have the Havel's armor or any of that. I had the silver snake ring and some other ring, had my flame iaito, and just kept swinging. I don't think I even two handed my weapon. I beat them on my first try. Now, in NG+, it will probably be a different story.

Well I just beat the hardest part of the game so far. The fucking "ledge-archers" in Anor Londo. I actually quit the game for 6 days, I was so frustrated. I lost about 100,000 souls (no exaggeration) on them. I know it is posted around the net to just go into corner and he will fall off ledge, but I tried that dozens of times. It just got into my head that it was impossible, and it became a mind-game/psych-out for me. I am sure many of you did it first or second try.

Here is what finally did it for me.
1. Equip the most stable shield you have and can carry (I used eagle), and the Cloranthy ring.
2. Make Sure you can still run.
3. Run up last ramp - no need to sprint.
4. Go right towards corner - guy on left won't be able to hit you up top.
5. Barrel roll under his arrow.
6. Wedge into corner, so his arrows don't hit you.
7. He will eventually stop shooting arrows, and get sword out.
8. Shield up when he is going to hit you.
9. Immediately drop shield to recoup stamina.
10. Repeat 8-9 until he falls off ledge. It may take a while, so manage stamina carefully.

I know there is nothing new in this tip, but it is the little things that other posters leave out.

I have a pretty wicked sword at this point, but have never leveled my armour. I like the crimson set, but if I am going to use Havel's Ring, or the DWG Ring, I might as well go fairly heavy. By the time I finish game, my equip load will likely only be 60, unless I put some serious points into Endurance. So basically, I need to stay under 30 to use DWG, which means. I am using the Crimson clothes right now. Should I upgrade them, or is there a better set I should wait for? I think most tank armours would put my equip load over 30, and I'd rather put points into Vit/Int than End. Is there a set up of armour that I should wait for and then upgrade that?

Ugh, I feel your pain on the silver knight archers. Just got past those the other day (again). I never had a problem before for some reason, but with my SL 3 guy it was tough. I was unable to get the knight on the right to fall off, ever. So I used poison arrows to kill the knight on the left. Once he was dead I ran up to the one on the right and just fought him on the ledge. Scary times.

I upgraded the Crimson leg piece (waistcloth, I think) to +5 and I think it's great. However, I'd recommend putting serious points into Endurance since it helps so much to have extra stamina, and it would allow you to use heavier armor. Giant's Armor +5 (torso piece) is incredible.

SL3!!!!!! Are you going for a Guiness World Record of lowest SL to beat DaS?

I couldn't get a shot at him, as when I poked head out to aim, he hit me with arrow and knocked me off.

I generally use a matching suit, that has good stats. I am not 100% sure what the numbers mean on armour. Does 25 mean 25%? Or if their attack does 200 pts or 400pts damage, it becomes 175 and 375 respectively?

With the exception of the numbers on shields (which are percentage based) all the rest of defense is just minus an amount from damage taken. So for example an armor point of 10 might protect you from 1 point of damage (100 damage become 99), 20 from 2 (100 damage becomes 98), etc., I don't know exact quantities though I don't think it is a 1 to 1 straight 1 point of defense protects against 1 point of damage.

I've helped out quite a bit in summoning for Anor Londo so this is my tips for dealing with them.
1.)Shield up, sprint up the incline until you near the ledge, but don't actually step onto it, stay about 4-6 feet back, and drop your shield for a sec to regen some stamina. The pillar to your left will block shots from the knight to the left.
2.) As soon as you hear the knight on the right fire the bow, start sprinting up the rest of the ramp and along the ledge with your shield up, the arrow will miss you and you should have enough time to reach the end of the ledge where it starts to curve to the right before he is able to fire again.
3.)The 2nd arrow will either miss you, or it will bounce you back against the wall parallel to the ledge.
4.)At this point you should be close enough that he draws his sword, when he attacks and bounces off the shield, (while still holding block) give one quick blast of combustion/greater combustion. The shield will drop, the pyro spell will cast, and your shield will come back up automatically to block the next attack. Alternatively you would probably have enough time between shield bounces to cast force and knock it off the ledge with one cast. In both cases, the catalyst/pyro glove needs to be in your right hand slot.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']SL3!!!!!! Are you going for a Guiness World Record of lowest SL to beat DaS?[/QUOTE]

There are actually quite a few people doing a SL1 run. However, the only way to do that is start as a pyromancer (only class that actually starts at SL1), so the next-best thing is a no-level run, where you pick any starting class and just don't level up at all.

It's a fun way to recapture the challenge Dark Souls had when you first started. I was really nervous at first, but as you get into it it's actually not that horrible. The main thing is the gear restrictions (due to low STR and DEX stats, and low equip burden) and the low HP.

I have gotten the Lord Vessel, Rite of Kindling, and cleared New Londo up to 4 Kings so far. Although I think 4 Kings and Nito are gonna be really tough. Anyway, I'd encourage anyone who has beaten Dark Suols and especially anyone who has gotten the plat to try it. Co-op is definitely encouraged!

The archers are easy if you find that spot on the ramp where their arrows don't hit you but you can shoot them with poison arrows. That's what I did in my playthrough. Then I got summoned a few times to help and with 3 people you can just rush them - seemed to have no problem doing that, though one other phantom got knocked off when we were doing that one time.

I need to get back in to this and finish off Nito and my first playthrough then decide if I feel like I want to go 1 1/2 more times for the plat. I'm already burnt out on the game before even finishing it once.

I tried doing that poison arrow thing to both of them, but I couldn't find a spot where I could hit the right knight without him hitting me. Either my arrows would hit the fall in front of him, or fall short, or he could hit me, or something. At least getting rid of the left knight meant I wasn't getting hit in the back while I fought.

I am level 66 trying to fight the twins in anor londo. I need humanity, but have to coop to get some. No one is picking up my sign, am I too high or too low a level?

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I am level 66 trying to fight the twins in anor londo. I need humanity, but have to coop to get some. No one is picking up my sign, am I too high or too low a level?[/QUOTE]

Likely too high. I think the range for co-op in Anor Londo is 40-50.

Not necessarily, you may just be trying to play at the wrong time. Later at night I get hardly any bites, but then I had the day off and tried in the afternoon I got several hits in a row almost immediately. If you need humanity, put on the gold serpent ring and farm rats from the Depth's bonfire. Otherwise try different times of day. I found it was also a good time to do the forest covenant. Put down the summon sign and put on the forest covenant ring and then wait till you either get summoned by a host or summoned to attack invaders of the forest.

Also, where are you dropping your sign? Next to the boss gate? If so, that may be your problem as the big summon spot is back at the start of the level at the bottom of the stairs in front of the elevator as that way the phantoms can help clear the giants on the way to the gate and protect the host from invaders.

bread's done
Back