[DEAD] Donkey Konga w/ bongos $15 at Wal-Mart B&M (YMMV)

dark_inchworm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I meant to post about this a week ago, but I haven't had the time. Anyway. After stopping at my local Wally World at about 11 PM Friday night, I noticed that they had cut Donkey Konga from $50 to $25 and then to $15. I didn't ask about it, but my Splendid Logic leads me to believe that it takes up way too much shelf space and sells very slowly. So I took advantage of this good offer. And after checking in again just yesterday, they still had a really large portion of their stock.

Maybe it's just my Wal-Mart, but 'ey, why not check your own?

Also, they had the bongos themselves for $15 as well.

(btw, I really really doubt any of you will pass through there, but the Wal-Mart in question is in Hohenwald, TN)

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='evilmax17']Was it marked that way on the shelf? Or did you have an employee scan it. It's not worth the risk for me if I have to deal with the junior college inbreeders that work at Walmart.[/quote]

Well, at least at your Walmart they speak English.[/quote]

Is that the one on Rose? If so, man I hate that fucking wal mart. That store embodies everything i dislike about walmart; the crowdedness, the disorder that the store is always in, and the jackass employees. I've only been there a couple times, but both times were a nightmare.

Wow.. this being small-town Hohenwald, I thought there wouldn't be a damn soul here to claim DK. But I decided to take a trip up there at 1:15 in the morning.. and every copy was gone. It's quite an odd sense of satisfaction you get upon realizing what effects you really can have on this world.

And I was hoping to get a cheap jet black controller too, but apparently those were all swiped as well. Damn :)

[quote name='Scorch']Just got a txt from him..

txt 1: "there is no sprint there"

my reply: "how did you fare at WalMart?"

txt 2: "as i walked in, i saw a kid checking out with one"

(i swear if some shaq-fuer sniped us on this deal..)

my reply: "just one?"

txt 3: "sure is a good thing I had asked them to put 7 behind the counter when I called"

txt 4: "Rcpt doesn't show game's name though"

my reply: "So you got all 7?!"

txt 5: "Also jet black first party GC controllers were $5"

txt 6: "I got a few of those, too"

DUDE.. OP! You RULE! 7 Donkey Kongas and new controllers for 5 bucks! I still can't believe guessed just drove that far.. but he made out like a shaq-fuing bandit.[/quote]

You didn't tell me that our conversation was being recorded. Where is G Gordon Liddy when you need him? Honestly, my initial thought was to help out a few CAGs, and eBay one or two to help cover expenses, but seeing the response, I guess I'll make this a CAG exclusive. I am too tired to sort through and figure out who requested what first between the thread and my PMs, but I am certain they are all claimed and then some, so no more requests, please. Those to whom I am sending DK will have the option of buying a factory sealed Jet Black first party GC controller (ordinary controller, not Kongas) for an additional $6. I need to find shipping boxes for this stuff. Why can't I ever seem to get in on deals with physically smaller items? Ok, that isn't fair, I do get those too, but whenever I have to mail out something large or awkwardly shaped it makes me wonder.

I get the impression that Walmart clearances are a little different from TRU and Target clearances. Almost all Targets have the same clearance items at the same time, but it is up to the manager's discretion when to drop each item to which predetermined level of clearance. TRU is pretty much the same way, it seems. With WalMart, it seems like the managers get to not only set the clearance price, but also determine to a certain extent which items get dropped. A lot of the WM managers seem to prefer dropping items straight from MSRP to rock-bottom prices for quick sale, rather than going through multiple clearance phases. I'd be very surprised if other WalMarts have these clearanced at this price.

Dark_inchworm: thanks for the OP, and sorry about grabbing all the controllers - I figured you would have taken what you wanted already. If you can meet me halfway, I'll give you one for free as a thanks for the heads-up.

I don't want a copy of Donkey Konga, but I wanted to say that it's really cool of you to do that for everybody guessed. Awesome. :applause:

well crap, came in on the tail end of this one...i'm like 30 min from hohenwald...and was practically up by there tonight.....i guess that's just how it goes sometimes.

[quote name='nonggame']Not in LV area ( I just check) btw, the Walmart I went to still have PSone LCD for $129 ... :shock:[/quote]

Which store in Vegas?

This has to be the best (cuz its short) shaq-fuing CAG thread ever.

A mile-by-mile account of cheapassness in action.

I've found this to be true in the past . . . when you find out about a deal you must act immediately.

dark_inchworm (op), guessed (driving 3 hours!), Scorch (for reporting) :applause:

please don't thank me. I'm just a messenger. I probably shouldn't report it, now G. Gordon Liddy will be on my ass :p Thank Guessed for driving a long ass way and helping out some CAG'ers.. he's an awesome guy.

ok i dont know if im gunna make it to walmart today, its snowing quite a bit and i hate the snow removal in this city, so if not today ill check tomarrow

I checked the two closest Wal-Marts to me, one had it for $49.96, the other was OOS. I'm not really willing to drive 3 hours like guessed did, though, for a game I didn't want that badly in the first place, especially since it's snowing pretty heavily.

I'm so sad.. none of the snow is going to hit me a tiny bit south of Nashville.. actually, looks like everything's going to completely miss TN in general. They originally said a ton of snow for us.. now nothing :( We are under an advisory, though! ... a wind advisory :/

[quote name='Scorch']I'm so sad.. none of the snow is going to hit me a tiny bit south of Nashville.. actually, looks like everything's going to completely miss TN in general. They originally said a ton of snow for us.. now nothing :( We are under an advisory, though! ... a wind advisory :/[/quote]

We're getting hit pretty hard with snow in northwestern Indiana.

Hmm..maybe I should hit up my local Wal-Marts to see if they have any Donkey Kongas for $14.99. Then again, it's the weekend, and crazy kids running around the store and bumping into everything is something I try to avoid. *sigh*

[quote name='TJordan522']Hey guessed, did the Walmart have a sign that showed them as $15 or did they just ring up at $15?[/quote]

They were on the deep discount shelf, everything with a red shelf tag, and one of the Kongas had a big yellow sign:

Wow
Donkey Konga
Bongos w/game
$15.00 was $49.96

The Jet Blacks had a red shelf tag, but no big sign. They had some other deals on the shelf, mostly on cell phone batteries and accessories, and they had one XM radio for $25, but I don't know enough about XM, so I passed on it (seemed like a good deal). Near the checkout at the front they had some other non-electronics clearance, I got a couple of whirling sprinklers for $1 each, and an oscillating sprinkler for $2.

[quote name='guessed']
Dark_inchworm: thanks for the OP, and sorry about grabbing all the controllers - I figured you would have taken what you wanted already. If you can meet me halfway, I'll give you one for free as a thanks for the heads-up.[/quote]

You're very welcome :)

And I wouldn't worry too much about the controller.. about the best I can do as far as "meeting you halfway" goes (if you really mean in person, anyway) is seeing you in Lawrenceburg or Columbia sometime (I'd drive to Nashville, but for some reason I fear becoming lost). And I wouldn't want to hassle you that much over a controller. So have fun with 'em :)

i went to 1 wal-mart in baton rouge, louisiana today.

they had like 10 or so in stock, all in the glass case, with no price.
i had the employee take one out and scan it, rang up at $19.99 with a lil scan gun. i said ill take it. and when he rang me up again at the actual register it came up $14.99!! SWEET. thanx OP

I bought the game and bongos for $28 and an extra set bongos for $16 at release (both at Target with rainchecks :) ) Personally doesn't do that much for me . . . but my kids like it.

I do think the upcoming Donkey Kong platform game could be really cool.

[quote name='ghost of a ghost']i went to 1 wal-mart in baton rouge, louisiana today.

i had the employee take one out and scan it, rang up at $19.99 with a lil scan gun. i said ill take it. and when he rang me up again at the actual register it came up $14.99!! SWEET. thanx OP[/quote]

Wow that's excellent.

Checked the Wal-Mart in Eastlake, CA just now and they had none in stock but the sticker in the glass case said 49.96 I may call the other ones near me just to check.

EDIT:
I called my closest 10 Wal-Marts:
1. Chula Vista (E), CA 91915
2. San Diego, CA 92154
3. Chula Vista, CA 91910
4. National City, CA 91950
5. San Diego, CA 92115
6. La Mesa, CA 91942
7. El Cajon (C), CA 92020
8. Santee, CA 92071
9. El Cajon, CA 92021
10. San Diego, CA 92123

6 of them were out and 4 of them had em at 49.96

[quote name='ghost of a ghost']i went to 1 wal-mart in baton rouge, louisiana today.

i had the employee take one out and scan it, rang up at $19.99 with a lil scan gun. i said ill take it. and when he rang me up again at the actual register it came up $14.99!! SWEET. thanx OP[/quote]

Which Walmart did you go to? My niece lives in Baton Rouge.

Someone who can get 'em for $15, pick me up 5. or as many as you can up to 5 I will give you ~$100 and/or game(s) from my collection for five of them. PM me if interested!!!

[quote name='peteyrose']What in the world are you going to do with 5 of them?

If someone has an extra one they would like to sell, PM me :)[/quote]

A lot of my friends have GCNs. I'm planning planning on giving all but one to them. I'm also considering buying one of my friend a GCN w/ MK: DD and throwin in Donkey Konga (his 2 favorite games) and one of the Metroids I got from K Mart.

[quote name='discopenguin816'][quote name='shrike4242']Damn, you people are making me want to go out in this cold weather and go be a nice guy for fellow CAGs. :p[/quote] [-o

[quote name='shrike4242']I have no idea if they're at $15 or not, but it's freaking cold out there. :p

:whistle2:k :whistle2:k :whistle2:k

What to do, what to do.....[/quote]

Yea most stores around me are closing early do to weather conditions. Also if anyone wants to trade/buy/sell me a pair of bongos I could pay or trade.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='discopenguin816'][quote name='shrike4242']Damn, you people are making me want to go out in this cold weather and go be a nice guy for fellow CAGs. :p[/quote] [-o

[quote name='discopenguin816'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='discopenguin816'][quote name='shrike4242']Damn, you people are making me want to go out in this cold weather and go be a nice guy for fellow CAGs. :p[/quote] [-o

[quote name='shrike4242']
most of the WalMarts around here are usually staffed by less-than-stellar staff. :(

[/quote]

Same here, when I called my wal-marts they all had elderly ladies working in electronics. All of them thought I was prank calling or something. Here's a sample:

Operator: Wal-mart
Me: Can I be transfered to electronics.
Operator: Hold.......
Old Electronic's Lady: (In a pissed off voice) Wal-Mart!!
Me: Do you have Donkey Konga in for the Nintendo Gamecube?
Old Electronic's Lady: Excuse me!
Me: Donkey Konga for Gamecube.
Old Electronic's Lady: What's the title?
Me: Donkey Konga!
Old Electronic's Lady: Hold......
Old Electronic's Lady:(20 minutes later) What's the name of the title?
Me: Donkey Konga for Gamecube, it has kongas.
Old Electronic's Lady: Not in stock.

bread's done
Back