[Dead] FREE 90-day TRIAL at gamefly.com

I just sent a nasty e-mail about it to them, I didn't use specifics about the promo but mabye their reply will give some insight on how you were suposed to get it.

on page 2, somebody mentioned that they came inside dvd cases. best buy is half an hour away for me, but if somebody is close by, maybe they could pop over and see if that is true.

as for why the promo code still works... bear in mind that when that code hit CAG, they probly got like a thousand subscriptions in about 15 minutes, which obviously would mean that their code got posted online. my guess is that they only cancelled the accounts that signed up in that big spike period before they pulled the deal. probably, if they did that, they did cancel a few real accounts that signed up during that period... but if they get a thousand calls from people who signed up in those 15 minutes saying that they actually bought dvds from best buy, they're probably going to want receipt numbers and shit.

my opinion is that it's pretty cool that we still get one month trials. not nearly as cool as three month trials, and i think it'd probably be worth it to go buy a dvd just to get the three months back, if that would actually work. then again, i go back to college mid-august and i'm not going to have enough time to play video games to make this worth it then, so it'd probly cost about the same to just renew for one month...

good luck to whoever calls customer service.

patrick

I actually have been considering subscribing to Gamefly for a while now, but after this fiasco, I won't be subscribing. I do plan on getting as many games as possible during this free trial though :)

I don't know, I'm pretty happy with them honoring it for 30 days....after fye canceled my Mafia order over a month ago...I'm pleased when any company makes any good faith effort in honoring something at all...it's so rare these days...

I received the same email - given the circumstances, 30 days is rather nice and there's no room to complain since most of us never bought these DVD cases to legitly get the code.

However, free trial issues aside, the fact that I put games into my Q monday morning when this thing got out, and it's now Thursday and I might receive 2 games 4 days after the fact, I won't be continuing my subscription. I live in San Diego, somewhat close to their distribution you'd think, but a 4 day time period just to 'get' a game is stupid. I can send a movie back to Netflix on Monday, they have it Tuesday morning, and have sent my next DVD that day which I recieve on Wednesday. So for a complete turnaround, it takes 3 days with Netflix. For Gamefly it takes 4 days one-way and I live close to them! That could mean one week for a full turnaround. LAME.

The service is steep too when factoring this in. $22? That was more than Netflix (until recently) and unlike Netflix, Gamefly does not pay a special inflated price for copies to use as rentals. So for $22, I might get a few game rentals out of a month. I would use the service more to dabble in lots of games I wouldn't buy rather than rent a few and keep them for extended periods.

Eh - I'll enjoy it for 30 days and then continue to wait for Netflix to add games to their lineup.

[quote name='yogi99']So is Netflix going to do video games rental soon?[/quote]

If they do they will obviously be the better choice seeing as they have distro centers all over the country.

You know it probably was a seperate code for each dvd case (or however it came).. however the system wasn't set up to only allow one use of the code. That's how they know you used an illegaly posted code.

The service is steep too when factoring this in. $22? That was more than Netflix (until recently) and unlike Netflix, Gamefly does not pay a special inflated price for copies to use as rentals. So for $22, I might get a few game rentals out of a month. I would use the service more to dabble in lots of games I wouldn't buy rather than rent a few and keep them for extended periods.

Well don't you expect to pay a little more because it's games and not movies? You go to a store and rent a game you are bound to get charged a couple extra dollars than you would for renting a movie.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']You know it probably was a seperate code for each dvd case (or however it came).. however the system wasn't set up to only allow one use of the code. That's how they know you used an illegaly posted code.[/quote]

It sounds reasonable, but it doesn't explain why the promotion code is alive after they sent out emails saying the code was void because it was posted publicly.

I just can't stop thinking about how many suits were scrambling around an office trying to come up with a solution for this issue. You know some heads in the IT dev dept rolled...

suprsaiyanMAX: Actually, that was probaby their foley. They should not think that because they cost more to rent at blockbuster that their service should cost more per month than a movie service.

In fact, the reason you pay more for games at Blockbuster was due to the 5 day time limit you could keep the game. It's been that way since I was renting games 13 years ago - except back then, you only kept movies for 2 days. Competition is the only reason you keep movies longer now. Anyway, it's not so much the fee - it's what the fee gets you, and if I have to wait 4 days to get a game, then count me out. As I said, when factoring this in, $22 is steep. They pay shelf retail for rental copies where movies can cost upwards of $100 a copy. Given this, and their small distribution, yet large monthly fee, it's hard to see Gamefly as a deal, which is why even when I heard about it years ago, I didn't bother. It took a free trial to convince me that it still wasn't worth it, for me anyway. If they get to Netflix quality, I'd reconsider.

Yogi/Striker: I've read that Netflix is evaluating the market. Sounds like they're thinking about it, but it's still up in the air.

dam dissapointing news....jsut got the email...well 30 days is better than nothing...so we gotta cancel and return the games before 30 days??

I just checked my account status, and the free trial was knocked down to 30 days. Ah well, time for some hardcore game session cramming.

-Hoshi

good thing i get mine games in 2 days :] i also live in L.A. there main office, and i get it really fast. im getting bored of Hit and Run after 2 days, so ima send it tomarrow. keeping the Ninja Gaiden till im done w/ it

[quote name='hoshi']I just checked my account status, and the free trial was knocked down to 30 days. Ah well, time for some hardcore game session cramming.

-Hoshi[/quote]
Yeh, i just got the email. now i have to cut my list down. what jerks.

Does anyone know how to actually acquire one of these codes legitamatley? I mean, with you guys all complaining about them cutting off your subscriptions, we should find out how individuals can get a new code that will actually work for 90 days. I'm not sure if they are still doing this promotion, but it would be worth a try to figure out.

I think it was some dvd thing at best buy, if you just have to buy a movie for 90days free i'm all over that. I'de like to hear it from someone who actualy knows though, I just pieced that bit together.

[quote name='mousin']grr.. it needs a credit card? how can you people be so secure about your credit cards theses days.. wait to you get fraud'd :D[/quote]

No offense, but only stupid people should worry about credit card fraud. The money is only a number in a computer and is easily fixed.

[quote name='nathan_the_rock']Does anyone know how to actually acquire one of these codes legitamatley? I mean, with you guys all complaining about them cutting off your subscriptions, we should find out how individuals can get a new code that will actually work for 90 days. I'm not sure if they are still doing this promotion, but it would be worth a try to figure out.[/quote]

I sent them an e-mail trying to get them to fix it, it turns out it was only for Bestbuy employies. oh well, still got 30 days out of it.

I signed up and got the 30 day trial. Outbreak and Here comes the pain still on the way. Gonna take like 4 business days to the east coast. Not to confident I'll do it after the 30 day mark.

Just so everyone knows, I signed up on June 22nd, my 2 games shipped on June 23rd, and I got them both today (June 26th). They were shipped first-class mail, and I live in Ohio.

[quote name='scott123456']I signed up and got the 30 day trial. Outbreak and Here comes the pain still on the way. Gonna take like 4 business days to the east coast. Not to confident I'll do it after the 30 day mark.[/quote]
My game shipped 6/22 and i got them 2 days later on 6/24 and i live in NY

I'm really disappointed with gamefly's shipping speed. I live in California and very near to gamefly's distribution center. My first two games arrived just one day after I signed up, really cool. But now it takes about 3 to 4 days for me to receive new games after returning it. 3 to 4 days is really slow considering that I live so close to them. How long does it take you guys to receive your games? Please specify what state you live also.

I sent both my games back at the same time they received one and sent my next game and I have recieved it but they still havent recieved my second game I sent.

So what's working and what is not working? Is the 90 day still going on? If not, does anyone have the 30 day code?

[quote name='Sockey']I sent both my games back at the same time they received one and sent my next game and I have recieved it but they still havent recieved my second game I sent.[/quote]
The same thing happened to me. The Simpsons: Hit and Run took 5 more days than DDR. Oh well, at least I know Spiderman 2 is on its way :D

This is just a reminder for everyone to cancel your free account by next week or risk getting billed. My billing period begins on the 21st, and I'm sure most of the people who signed up have the same date. So you should cancel by Tuesday if you don't want to keep the account

Yep - I was thinking about the need to cancel. My "How good is Gamefly" verdict? A huge "EH".

1) It's a Monday to Friday cycle for me, and I live close to their West Coast distribution in Inglewood (judging by the return envelope anyway). That's a mere 124 miles. I pop in the games Monday, and the next set arrives friday. By comparison, Netflix is farther (218 miles) and it's a Monday to Wednesday cycle.

2) Given the cycle times, you may be able to cycle 4 or possibly, 5 times in a month (5 times if you return them the next day after getting them). Now, the service for me would be to demo potential buys, play titles blockbuster doesn't have and maybe consider buying them used from them (as the packaging is mint). However, 8 games (2 out plan), maybe 10, per month for $22 is steep in my opinion. Why? Because, again, I can compare it to Netflix (who's base plan for $22 is 3 out). You can cycle 6 movies a week, so 24 is easily possible. Obviously this is one case, as was the Gamefly potential of 8, but even if you cut that in half because you take a few days to play the movie/game, you'd end up with -4- games a month with Gamefly, yet -12- movies from Netflix.

3) The services cost the same, but the service offered is not. 2 out with Gamefly versus 3 out with Netflix. Why does this matter? Because the cost is actually more for Netflix. Rental houses pay a good amount for rental copies. Sometimes over $100 a copy for the ability to rent it. What do they pay for games? Shelf price, or less. They can buy on the cheap and rent them. Wondering why Disgaea went from "long wait" to "now"? Maybe they got in on the CC deal :)

Don't look at the media type these places send. Look at the service they offer. A DVD is a DVD no matter how you slice it, and after being spoiled with Netflix, and Gamefly having been around long enough to offer similiar service, I expect more, especially when they cost the same. If Gamefly changed to a 3-out base plan (like Netflix) then my criticisms wouldn't be so warranted.

However, if we are talking strictly online game rental companies, then Gamefly is the choice to go with - it's the best among the pool of places out there so far. It's just not the best in the online rental category, nor close...yet.

I live in Burbank and transit time for a game is next day. So if I mail a game back, I'll get my next one 48 hours later. I have found the service to be outstanding, and their prices on pre-played games are great too.

I'm in Texas and my cycle time is from a week to a week and half. I've gotten 4 games total. But I've also played them for a couple days each.

[quote name='HYDE']
3) The services cost the same, but the service offered is not. 2 out with Gamefly versus 3 out with Netflix. Why does this matter? Because the cost is actually more for Netflix. Rental houses pay a good amount for rental copies. Sometimes over $100 a copy for the ability to rent it. What do they pay for games? Shelf price, or less. They can buy on the cheap and rent them. [/quote]

I think that the business of renting DVDs changed the entire rental industry. It's my knowledge that the Motion Picture studios had indeed made arrangements with BlockBuster and the like for early rental copies, and to have them be charged upwards of $75 - $100. However this has all changed with the advent of and surprisingly quick adoption of DVDs. I don't think that the renting of DVDs carries the same monetary weight as VHS tape rentals did. So your logic and deduction stated above is incorrect.

Games took around 4 days to get here and anywhere from 1-5 to get back there. I have gotten 4 games out of this, which is good considering the free price, but would not cut it for me for $21.95.

not worth $20. was nice to try out a few games for free that i might not have otherwise tried, but if i were paying $21 a month, and i checked out a game that wound up sucking (which i did), i would be much less thrilled when sending it back and waiting for the week-long turnaround for another game.

bread's done
Back