[DEAD] Get six issues of HGM delivered for only $0!

Reality's Fringe said:
It'll be better than EGM if they only just deliver the mags like they say they will. I'm still not getting my EGM subscription.

Same here. WTF?

And I just got my issue today! Thanks guys, it looks great!

not sure if it's been mentioned, but these are the guys who brought us Diehard Gamefan.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I just got my issue today! Thanks guys, it looks great![/QUOTE]

Some of us are still waiting. I'm curious to see what it looks like myself. :D

Anybody know of a way to check your subscription status? Perhaps a change-of-mailing-address website address is inside the magazine?

It would be nice to know if their records know of my existence. Opening up an HGM-less mailbox each day, despite jumping on this offer extremely quickly, is increasingly depressing.

At least if I can figure out whether I didn't make the cutoff, I can eliminate that small daily letdown. :)

[quote name='Apossum']not sure if it's been mentioned, but these are the guys who brought us Diehard Gamefan.[/QUOTE]

Now that is AWESOME! Hopefully mine will come soon.

yeah I got my first issue today as well, looks nice. The actual physical quality of the magazine is surprising and the articles look interesting.

Got mine today, I'm cooking dinner, feeding the baby, and surfing the web so I haven't had a chance to page through it, tonight before Halo 2 I will peruse it. But what I glanced at looks good.

[quote name='Apossum']not sure if it's been mentioned, but these are the guys who brought us Diehard Gamefan.[/QUOTE]

Just got my first issue today. It seems to be a really good magazine. Much better than EGM but pretty similar to Game Informer. $24.99 seems to be a lot for a 1 year subscription (I think I got 2 year of EGM for that price). Also, if these are indeed the same guy who brought us Diehard Gamefan. Then these guys can go to HELL. I'll definitely not subscribe to them or buy it individually. A few years back when GameFan was still around (I know... it was many many years ago), I actually subscribed to their magazine. Guess how many issues I got out of my subscription. TWO freakin issues. After that, they went dead. Subscribers were not informed of such an event. There was no mention of it in the magazine itself. The website just shut down. All they did was took the money and ran with it. Those bastards..........

To those who don't have it, refer to the OP for the free PDF downloads. Obviously not as nice as flipping through a magazine, but its all there.

[quote name='wbc1228']Just got my first issue today. It seems to be a really good magazine. Much better than EGM but pretty similar to Gamer Informer. $24.99 seems to be a lot for a 1 year subscription (I think I got 2 year of EGM for that price). Also, if these are indeed the same guy who brought us Diehard Gamefan. Then these guys can go to HELL. I'll definitely not subscribe to them or buy it individually. A few years back when GameFan was still around (I know... it was many many years ago), I actually subscribed to their magazine. Guess how many issues I got out of my subscription. TWO freakin issues. After that, they went dead. Subscribers were not informed of such an event. There was no mention of it in the magazine itself. The website just shut down. All they did was took the money and ran with it. Those bastards..........[/QUOTE]

These are the people who created the great content of GameFan. They're neither the ones who ran the magazine when subscription fulfillment problems started, nor the ones who distributed it.

Blame Dave Halverson (who went on to pull the same disappearing act on Gamer's Republic subscribers, but has somehow thus far spared subscribers to Play [if there are any... I doubt many gave him another benefit of the doubt]) or the company which supposedly took over and screwed things up back then [Metropolis Media].

Also got mine today, and it's really good. Excellent work talking about homebrew and the write up about XBMC was fantastic. Great to see a magazine that isn't afraid to address stuff like that. Also inspired my avatar change since I can't wait for Serious Sam 2 :D

[quote name='snowmizer']These are the people who created the great content of GameFan. They're neither the ones who ran the magazine when subscription fulfillment problems started, nor the ones who distributed it.

Blame Dave Halverson (who went on to pull the same disappearing act on Gamer's Republic subscribers, but has somehow thus far spared subscribers to Play [if there are any... I doubt many gave him another benefit of the doubt]) or the company which supposedly took over and screwed things up back then [Metropolis Media].[/QUOTE]

Gamer's Republic managed to pull a fast one on me too. I got 3 issues from a 2 year subscription plan. Guess I'm not very good at making wise decisions.

Thanks snowmizer for pointing it out.
Guess I'll probably subscribe to them then.
The reviews/previews are OK but the main selling point for me was the feature articles and the nice paper. Also, it is not over 50% advertisement like EGM.

Got my first issue (Vol.1 Issue 3) in the mail today. The magazine's got a nice feel to it (material-wise, don't know how else to describe it).

The review section is good; HGM actually sticks to 2.5/5 as average (instead of most mags, which would give average games 3.5/5). They're not afraid to give games the scores they deserve. The scores seem spot-on, btw.

I liked the miscellaneous features. It was cool seeing stuff about the homebrew scene and flash carts for the DS (stuff I doubt you'd see in EGM or GI, for legal reasons I'd guess).

Overall, the magazine's good. HGM tells it like it is and speaks to you as fellow gamers (i.e. not as positive-about-every-game, so-far-above-you journalists).

Just got mine . . . great deal :)

I certainly looks like Gamefan with full pages devoted to a single game with huge graphics . . . I wouldn't say its as good as EGM or Game Informer but I love game mags and will read it closely later.

I would subscribe for about $1 per issue but not more.

Damn, didn't get mine today either. Does anyone know where this magazine is based out of? Because if it's on the west coast, then I won't be too worried about it not coming today. Anyone in MA get their's yet? Thanks

[quote name='wbc1228']Gamer's Republic managed to pull a fast one on me too. I got 3 issues from a 2 year subscription plan. Guess I'm not very good at making wise decisions. [/QUOTE]

I got screwed by Gamer's Republic too... and since Gamefan folded twice over the span of a couple years, I royally got screwed by them twice (both times my subscription had just started too). It's hard to put faith in these guys.

Bitch and complain about EGM all you want but at least they are always reliable and always stay in business.

I did the survey but turns out it was after the free subscription period.

Got mine today.

Briefly thumbed through it. Seems pretty good. Nice heavy paper and not many ads (which may explain the high subscription price). Lots of big visuals. Some of those cosplay girls on the last page look pretty good.

Got mine today. Like the layout w/ big pictures and thick pages. Just seems high quality to me. Doesn't seem to really be enough to warrant a subscription for 24.00 at the moment, but that may change. But this is a Great deal at 6 months free!

I think that it is a pretty decent magazine. Not my favorite, but I think that it has alot of potential. Plus, you cant beat the price ;-)

Mine just came today, and I flipped through it. Looks like a good read. Kudos to your desktop publisher(s), the layout is simply elegant. Got to love the smell of the glossy cover. The smell brings back memories of all the money I wasted in the 90's on baseball cards when I should have been buying copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Just got mine...definitely worth trying out for the 6 months free. I'm enjoying it so far. I agree that the layout is great - It's very aesthetically pleasing and the content holds up pretty well too! As someone who plays a little bit of everything on nearly every console, I like mags with a solid mix of info. from across the gaming board. So far so good!

[quote name='sabin23']I got screwed by Gamer's Republic too... and since Gamefan folded twice over the span of a couple years, I royally got screwed by them twice (both times my subscription had just started too). It's hard to put faith in these guys.

Bitch and complain about EGM all you want but at least they are always reliable and always stay in business.

I did the survey but turns out it was after the free subscription period.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered what happens in that kind of scenario. So you don't get any sort of refund if the mag flops? Is that legal?

[quote name='basketkase543']I've always wondered what happens in that kind of scenario. So you don't get any sort of refund if the mag flops? Is that legal?[/QUOTE]

Not sure about if it's legal or illegal.

As for refunds, it depends on who the publisher is... In Gamefan's case, I don't believe I was able to get any type of refund... my $20 went straight down the toilet. I was SOOL.

In the case of GameNow (formerly Expert Gamer, EGM2), when the magazine flopped, Ziff Davis gave me the option the switch the remaining issues left on my subscription to another magazine... I added some issues to my existing EGM subscription.

I got mine yesterday. Nice magazine. Great writing, great paper quality but kind of weak on the actually content front (too many pictures not enough info)

I finally received mine yesterday, too, here in Indiana.

Previews could use quite a bit of work. The reviews seemed right on the mark, though. Features were generally good... not sure there's a need for a page devoted to a recipe, however, for the Hardcore Submissions section. If that's the winner, I'd hate to have to be the guy screening out the losers.

[On a sidenote, that section did bring a little piece of unintended humor. In the instructions to readers, there's the rule, "Article must be fully edited with no typos...", which is soon followed up by the misspellings of 'plagarise' and 'plagarism' in the last rule.]

All in all, a promising start for the new mag.

Bah I ignored this topic for awhile because I didn't know what HGM was, and now that I realized what it was the offer's over :cry:

[quote name='snowmizer']

[On a sidenote, that section did bring a little piece of unintended humor. In the instructions to readers, there's the rule, "Article must be fully edited with no typos...", which is soon followed up by the misspellings of 'plagarise' and 'plagarism' in the last rule.][/QUOTE]

:roll:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plagiarize

pla·gia·rize Audio pronunciation of "plagiarize" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (plj-rz)
v. pla·gia·rized, pla·gia·riz·ing, pla·gia·riz·es
v. tr.

1. To use and pass off (the ideas or writings of another) as one's own.
2. To appropriate for use as one's own passages or ideas from (another).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plagiarism

pla·gia·rism Audio pronunciation of "plagiarism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (plj-rzm)
n.

1. The act of plagiarizing.
2. Something plagiarized.

Moron.

[quote name='mjkusy13']Damn, didn't get mine today either. Does anyone know where this magazine is based out of? Because if it's on the west coast, then I won't be too worried about it not coming today. Anyone in MA get their's yet? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Im in MA and just got it in te mail today. Pretty good magazine too.

[quote name='schultzed']I wouldn't say its as good as EGM or Game Informer but I love game mags and will read it closely later.[/QUOTE]

This is kind of funny considering how many people think it's "cool" to rag on EGM and Game Informer and say they blow chunks. Anybody that wants to put together a real print magazine (and ship out several issues for free) is ok in my book.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:roll:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plagiarize

pla·gia·rize Audio pronunciation of "plagiarize" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (plj-rz)
v. pla·gia·rized, pla·gia·riz·ing, pla·gia·riz·es
v. tr.

1. To use and pass off (the ideas or writings of another) as one's own.
2. To appropriate for use as one's own passages or ideas from (another).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=plagiarism

pla·gia·rism Audio pronunciation of "plagiarism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (plj-rzm)
n.

1. The act of plagiarizing.
2. Something plagiarized.

Moron.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your excellent post. Very worthwhile.

Unfortunately for you and your insult, I typed in the misspellings as they can be found in the magazine. I'm well aware of the correct spellings, and I'm also well aware that I can also head to dictionary.com, if I was ever in doubt.

Now feel free to contribute more great additions to as many other theads as possible. Don't kill yourself, though. It must be very tiring on the old brain cells copying, then pasting, then attacking.

Well...i haven't read a lot of the other posts yet (seems like a some people don't really like this mag huH?) but i'm personally pretty satisfied. It's a refreshing change, and being a somewhat anime freak I liked seeing the fan art and the cosplay section. Congrats on a mag well done. (I just wonder why i've never seen this in stores before? I live in CA...)

Got mine yesterday. The corners were all curled and it looked like it had been rolled up like a newspaper. Probably not there fault and still a good mag overall.

Got the issue the other day and I'm pretty impressed, a high quality mag. Keep up the good work and thanks again for the freebies OP.

Just browsing thru and I like the Hardware section, and a couple of previews especially Prey, and Capcom classics collection. However it seems very thin. I noticed that the reviews/previews sections for the most part are limited to one page each and the mag itself is only around only 82 pages. Hope it gets better but appreciate the free mag.

bread's done
Back