[DEAD] Grindhouse Special Edition Blu-ray $9.99 @ BestBuy.com YMMV

[quote name='rapsodist']It was a no go for me, not that I expected any different. The store explained that they go by SKU, not by product name. SoCal BBs are usually too smart for this sort of thing. I can't help trying each and every time there's a glitch though. :)[/QUOTE]

:) Lucky for me I live in Kansas. We're barely literate here.

Fail for me.

They had Death Proof at the counter for me and I said it was the wrong one and told them I wanted the Grindhouse SE. They went and grabbed the actual Gridnhouse SE for me. She asked me if thats what I wanted. I said yes. She began the checkout process. She handed me the blu-ray and I look at the receipt and she charged me the 24.99 price for it.

I immediately returned it and said I thought I'd get the 9.99 price. She said she couldnt do that. Needless to say I'll be filling out a negative survey for them. Who tried to charge someone full price without telling them?

[quote name='rapsodist']It was a no go for me, not that I expected any different. The store explained that they go by SKU, not by product name. SoCal BBs are usually too smart for this sort of thing. I can't help trying each and every time there's a glitch though. :)[/QUOTE]
Which BB did you go to?

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Which BB did you go to?[/QUOTE]

I went to the Northridge store. My friend tried this at the Porter Ranch store and also failed.

[quote name='rapsodist']I went to the Northridge store. My friend tried this at the Porter Ranch store and also failed.[/QUOTE]
You should print this out and you do have rights under consumer affair act. Best Buy should honor it no matter what the price is or advertised.

:applause::D SUCCESS! I just got back from a second attempt at that store and got it for $9.99 + tax = $10.96 out the door. This was at the Westfield Culver City mall location.

grindhouse.jpg

This time I didn't bother going straight to customer service - I found an employee in the movie section and had them check the computer for stock on the Grindhouse S.E. (there were none anywhere on the floor), he checked at a kiosk computer and said it showed they have 14 in stock. I told him there aren't any anywhere on the floor, and could he please check the back and sure enough he brought out a copy for me.

I thanked him and took it, along with my online order/store pickup printout to customer service, the lady just checked to make sure the blu-ray title in the slipcase was the 'correct' one i.e. Grindhouse S.E., punched in my order number off my in store pick-up invoice, computer printed out the receipt, I signed a copy and that was it. She just told me "oh, next time you don't have to pull the item off the shelf, we do that for you with in store pick up orders...we act as your personal shoppers." LOL.

So if you're gonna try to score this 'deal' and the store has pulled Deathproof for you instead of Grindhouse, try my method of pulling a copy of Grindhouse S.E. off the shelves and taking it to customer service/in store pickup and presenting it along with your online order/in store pick up receipt. Depending on how badly you want this deal, you have a week (and multiple locations possibly) to keep trying and score! If you get denied, just take back your invoice and leave (if you feel uncomfortable tell 'em you left your wallet/ID in the car), DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING OR ACCEPT THE COPY OF DEATHPROOF.

But damn it! I forgot to present my Rewards Zone card, so no points for this sale, doh! HAHAHA!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I honestly dont think this one might be worth the effort. Just went to the Anchorage BB, instore pickup, of course they pulled Deathproof I tried a half hearted explanation saying not the one I wanted, but I didnt feel like making a whole thing about it . Told them I didnt want it to cancel the order or refund it, they told me np it will cancel itself out because they didnt flag it p/u yet. I even double checked with the lady, said nope. Sure enough abotu 5-10 mins later omw back to work beep email" Thanks for picking up your order" So of course called the 888 number they tried calling the store to verify story, sat on hold 30 mins, guys says he couldnt get in touch with anyone and the girls @ CS werent confirming my story so the manager will call me when he has time. So yeah im pretty :bomb:

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']You should print this out and you do have rights under consumer affair act. Best Buy should honor it no matter what the price is or advertised.[/QUOTE]

There is no mistake about this, your just being an asshole and trying to make an exploit out of nothing. I remember when these movies came out they were being advertised as "Grindhouse Presents" and the the appropiate title of the each one. Your just taking the title out of context and now preaching about false advertisement. It's people like you that make everything have a warning or small print to everything! This thread belongs in SD and not in CAG.

[quote name='skiizim']There is no mistake about this, your just being an asshole and trying to make an exploit out of nothing. I remember when these movies came out they were being advertised as "Grindhouse Presents" and the the appropiate title of the each one. Your just taking the title out of context and now preaching about false advertisement. It's people like you that make everything have a warning or small print to everything! This thread belongs in SD and not in CAG.[/QUOTE]

Id be angry too if I lived in riverside.

[quote name='skiizim']There is no mistake about this, your just being an asshole and trying to make an exploit out of nothing. I remember when these movies came out they were being advertised as "Grindhouse Presents" and the the appropiate title of the each one. Your just taking the title out of context and now preaching about false advertisement. It's people like you that make everything have a warning or small print to everything! This thread belongs in SD and not in CAG.[/QUOTE]

What? The normal Grindhouse Special Edition and the mistake one both have the same title on the BB pages-- Grindhouse Special Edition. I'm pretty sure when Death Proof was sold by itself they called it Death Proof somewhere in the title.

Squarehard, did your order get picked as Grindhouse or as Death Proof? If it was picked as Death Proof, how did it go from there.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']What? The normal Grindhouse Special Edition and the mistake one both have the same title on the BB pages-- Grindhouse Special Edition. I'm pretty sure when Death Proof was sold by itself they called it Death Proof somewhere in the title.

Squarehard, did your order get picked as Grindhouse or as Death Proof? If it was picked as Death Proof, how did it go from there.[/QUOTE]

It was pretty much the latter.

I was actually chatting it up with the customer service rep about the movie, and he was a fan himself, but when he went to get the blu-ray, he came back and said,

"Well this is strange." And I said what? He said,

"Looks like they pulled the wrong movie for you, let me call up the department and have them bring the right one."

The guy from media came up, gave him the Grindhouse blu-ray, and finished off the transaction with me walking out of the store.

It actually wasn't much of a pain at all. I just had to be really friendly at the start to make it so they would be willing to help me out, and it worked, so good for me ^___^

[quote name='Squarehard']It was pretty much the latter.

I was actually chatting it up with the customer service rep about the movie, and he was a fan himself, but when he went to get the blu-ray, he came back and said,

"Well this is strange." And I said what? He said,

"Looks like they pulled the wrong movie for you, let me call up the department and have them bring the right one."

The guy from media came up, gave him the Grindhouse blu-ray, and finished off the transaction with me walking out of the store.

It actually wasn't much of a pain at all. I just had to be really friendly at the start to make it so they would be willing to help me out, and it worked, so good for me ^___^[/QUOTE]
Generally, not being a prick is a wise life-choice.
I have a good relationship with some of the staff at my local bb, I ordered for instore pick-up and when i get my confirmation email ill give it a go. If it works awesome, if not, no big deal. im out 5 minutes of my day.

Good God, not yet *another* sanctimonious, holier than thou asshole on the boards. It's NOT an exploit. It's certainly not a case of "false advertising" either (sorry Incredipinoy), rather an online pricing/product description mistake. I couldn't find the specific Cali state ordinances/statutes dealing with online pricing versus in store pricing, however IIRC according to the Department of Consumer Affairs and the attorney general's office, any online store's price on an item must be the same in store if indeed the company has a physical location in the state of California (as well as store pricing from store to store on the same item must be the same). If not, the store is supposed to pricematch/honor the online price. *THAT* is the proper argument to proceed with, at least in Cali.

The web page in question CLEARLY states GRINDHOUSE SPECIAL EDITION, NOT GRINDHOUSE PRESENTS DEATHPROOF. It also provides the GRINDHOUSE SPECIAL EDITION product description, including information on Planet Terror. At least said page does so at present.

Nothing morally or ethically wrong with ordering said product, said product being GRINDHOUSE SPECIAL EDITION $9.99 + TAX and noted so on the invoice/product pick up printout and attempting to pick up said item. You've paid for GRINDHOUSE SPECIAL EDITION so you should get GRINDHOUSE SPECIAL EDITION.

[quote name='karkyco']words[/QUOTE]
Amen brother. If I get it, I get it. If not, there's no legal recourse here. Just dust myself off and move on to the next deal.

[quote name='karkyco']:applause::D SUCCESS! I just got back from a second attempt at that store and got it for $9.99 + tax = $10.96 out the door. This was at the Westfield Culver City mall location.

grindhouse.jpg

This time I didn't bother going straight to customer service - I found an employee in the movie section and had them check the computer for stock on the Grindhouse S.E. (there were none anywhere on the floor), he checked at a kiosk computer and said it showed they have 14 in stock. I told him there aren't any anywhere on the floor, and could he please check the back and sure enough he brought out a copy for me.

I thanked him and took it, along with my online order/store pickup printout to customer service, the lady just checked to make sure the blu-ray title in the slipcase was the 'correct' one i.e. Grindhouse S.E., punched in my order number off my in store pick-up invoice, computer printed out the receipt, I signed a copy and that was it. She just told me "oh, next time you don't have to pull the item off the shelf, we do that for you with in store pick up orders...we act as your personal shoppers." LOL.

So if you're gonna try to score this 'deal' and the store has pulled Deathproof for you instead of Grindhouse, try my method of pulling a copy of Grindhouse S.E. off the shelves and taking it to customer service/in store pickup and presenting it along with your online order/in store pick up receipt. Depending on how badly you want this deal, you have a week (and multiple locations possibly) to keep trying and score! If you get denied, just take back your invoice and leave (if you feel uncomfortable tell 'em you left your wallet/ID in the car), DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING OR ACCEPT THE COPY OF DEATHPROOF.

But damn it! I forgot to present my Rewards Zone card, so no points for this sale, doh! HAHAHA!!![/QUOTE]

Go on the reward zone website and enter the pin # off the receipt. You can claim missed points, in case you forget your card. Gotta get them points on top of that score, LOL!

[quote name='mrosnwo']Go on the reward zone website and enter the pin # off the receipt. You can claim missed points, in case you forget your card. Gotta get them points on top of that score, LOL![/QUOTE]

Thanks - and you know it! Gotta get that icing on the cake!

Thank you very much, OP. I tried this with Iron Man 2 Bluray/DVD Combo pack (correct SKU was for DVD only) but they were being super unwiilling about it. Hopefully I have better luck this time. Good luck, CAGers.

Thanks a lot OP!!! My BB had it waiting for me, no explanation needed lol. I'm so glad I didn't buy it off Amazon a week ago. Got it for $10.76!

Glad it's working for some out there!

No luck. The clerk didn't put up a fight but asked the door guard person who told him the $10 price wasn't for the 2-disc edition. I asked if I could have the regular edition of the Grindhouse special edition blu-ray to which I was told they didn't have any in their system. Didn't feel like fighting it at the moment since I couldn't argue that the print out didn't say "2-disc," so I'll try the in-store pickup, provided my store gets some more.

so i went into the attleboro, ma store and they had death proof waiting for me. i told the girl that it was the wrong one and i'd gladly go grab one of the right versions for her and when i brought it over to her, she told me the SKU didn't match and it was ringing up a different price. i explained how the description matches the one that is marked 9.99 and she called some meathead over who brought the slip and the grindhouse bluray back to the manager's office. 10 mins later he finally comes back and says "the manager won't let me do it. the SKUs are different, it's not for the same item." so i said how i was upset and that i would be calling their customer service line and explaining how shitty it was that the manager didn't even have the balls to come out and tell me himself.

so... i called 1-888-best-buy and talked to someone who tried transferring me to someone else and the call got hung up on. so i call back and got a really nice woman who liked grindhouse herself and she said "well, i can't give it to you for 9.99 but i can give it to you for 14.99" she didn't exactly explain why/how she was giving it to me for that, but whatever. i got her to waive shipping fees but she said it was backordered and won't be shipping out till late oct/early nov. so it came to 16.xx after taxes.

i was gonna go to a different store and try and get it for 9.99 but with the time and gas money i'll blow, it's not worth it.

They had deathproof waiting for me. I told the cashier that I wanted grindhouse she said it wasnt the same. I pointed out the name of the movie and the description, she called her supervisor (who I am friendly with) and after getting the story took care of it.
I bought some stuff while I was there to give them some sales too. hope some of you guys are lucky with this one too.

Same story as most of you. Went to the North Austin Best Buy location and they had Deathproof waiting for me. Told the guy that was the wrong movie and showed him the description of my order on my cellphone. He then called up someone from media to bring up the Grindhouse Special Edition and they had a discussion about the different sku's. The media employee stated that they were labeled with the same price sticker just that Deathproof was an extended edition and the Grindhouse was the special edition so that it should be fine.

When the guy processed my order, he then said the sku's did not match and that Deathproof was actually on sale for 9.99 but that Grindhouse was 24.99. He said he could cancel my in store pickup order then charge me the 24.99 for the Grindhouse Special Edition. I then said "well then why is my order listed for Grindhouse Special Edition then? According to my order confirmation it is listed Grindhouse." He ended up ringing up Grindhouse Special Edition full price and then doing a price match and gave me it for 9.99. It was a bit of a process but it finally worked out.

Deathproof waiting for me. Spoke to the most immature person ever at Customer Service who kept insisting that "This is not a store error, see? The SKUs match up. This is the product." I basically repeated myself four times that the title and description of the product was misleading me into believing it was the Grindhouse Special Edition. Didn't go anywhere, she just wanted to keep proving me wrong.

I called 1-888-Best-Buy and they gave me 750 reward zone points (15.00) and said that the department that handles store complaints will call me back tomorrow. This could turn from good to great if they wind up honoring a copy of Grindhouse SE for 9.99.

Also, I too have to wait 24 hours to do a return of Death Proof. fucking lame, the bitch didn't even apologize for me having to wait. "You're just going to have to come back tomorrow and we can return it then." I swear, these mistakes always piss me off more than I should. Not honoring a mistake is one thing, but being a cunt about it is unnecessary. I never once disrespected her and she came at me sideways.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Deathproof waiting for me. Spoke to the most immature person ever at Customer Service who kept insisting that "This is not a store error, see? The SKUs match up. This is the product." I basically repeated myself four times that the title and description of the product was misleading me into believing it was the Grindhouse Special Edition. Didn't go anywhere, she just wanted to keep proving me wrong.

I called 1-888-Best-Buy and they gave me 750 reward zone points (15.00) and said that the department that handles store complaints will call me back tomorrow. This could turn from good to great if they wind up honoring a copy of Grindhouse SE for 9.99.

Also, I too have to wait 24 hours to do a return of Death Proof. fucking lame, the bitch didn't even apologize for me having to wait. "You're just going to have to come back tomorrow and we can return it then." I swear, these mistakes always piss me off more than I should. Not honoring a mistake is one thing, but being a cunt about it is unnecessary. I never once disrespected her and she came at me sideways.[/QUOTE]

Wish I was treated like crap instead of given great customer service.

I could have walked out with 750 bonus points and a copy of Grindhouse for $9.99 :*(

Went to pick it up and they also had DeathProof waiting for me. I told the girl I think this is the wrong one, she called over a manager and explained the situation to her...and the nice, old lady said "he's right, give it to him".

[quote name='Squarehard']Wish I was treated like crap instead of given great customer service.

I could have walked out with 750 bonus points and a copy of Grindhouse for $9.99 :*([/QUOTE]
LOL.
We'll *see* if I get Grindhouse honored. Even if not, getting paid 15 bucks to go to that shitty Best Buy by my house twice isn't bad.

I had the same problem Grindhouse was in stock according to bestbuy sites but death proof wasn't in stock so I had to choose a different location for pick up.

I'm now hoping they won't give me any problems when trying to pick this up

just called customer service again and got them to honor the 9.99 price but i have to call back after i pick up the item in-store and they've flagged my order with a note saying to issue a 5.00 refund upon pickup of the item. i don't get the whole 14.99 price change thing that the first customer service rep did. oh well, still got it to work out. the phone operators have been more than kind and helpful, not like the in-store customer service cunts.

So dont people feel like they are cheating BBY by walking out of the store with the wrong product? Like say you bought a PS3 Move set but received a full PS3 Move console bundle? I wonder whats the threshold of dollar value that makes people pitch a fit and claim that someone at the retailer will be fired for this mistake? I mean this is happening far more often and is more costly than that one PS3 incident (was a thread on this forum) yet how many people are concerned about abusing the system when it is in their favor?

I had to call customer service over the phone and went through a lot of hold and had to call them back due to the computers being down...BUT the guy i talked to said he's going to have them mail me the correct bluray and they are only going to charge me $5...Sooooo yeah...dont know how that happened but I'll take it!

Because it specifically says Grindhouse special edition, not deathproof. We are merely asking for whats on our reciept. The other situation was just a stupid cashier mistake.

[quote name='Arakias']So dont people feel like they are cheating BBY by walking out of the store with the wrong product? Like say you bought a PS3 Move set but received a full PS3 Move console bundle? I wonder whats the threshold of dollar value that makes people pitch a fit and claim that someone at the retailer will be fired for this mistake? I mean this is happening far more often and is more costly than that one PS3 incident (was a thread on this forum) yet how many people are concerned about abusing the system when it is in their favor?[/QUOTE]

no -- it's not the wrong product according to the way they've got it described/listed. someone on their IT end dropped the ball. i noticed that they've listed the dvd version of 'death proof', the blu-ray version as well as the double blu-ray 'grindhouse' set as being the same item but different formats. it's not just a title error. and you'd think that by now they would've smartened up and got someone to change the title since all these issues have arisen across the country. at this point it's their own fault. it's the information age, bro. people talk. oh, and i am even using a laptop i bought at bestbuy to do all this "cheating" on. it's like they're enabling me to do this.

[quote name='Arakias']So dont people feel like they are cheating BBY by walking out of the store with the wrong product? Like say you bought a PS3 Move set but received a full PS3 Move console bundle? I wonder whats the threshold of dollar value that makes people pitch a fit and claim that someone at the retailer will be fired for this mistake? I mean this is happening far more often and is more costly than that one PS3 incident (was a thread on this forum) yet how many people are concerned about abusing the system when it is in their favor?[/QUOTE]

That wasn't the same situation though. It wasn't a listing mistake, he was just given the wrong product period and walked out with it. At least in this case, people have an argument since it was listed incorrectly online, and they have the proof for it.

What was that guy's proof? Showing them that there was no error on the listing anywhere and yet he still walked out of the store with it?

Frankly I don't care what he did either way since, well, more power to him, but I just wanted to make it clear these are two different situations.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']i was floored! cs pulled the grindhouse set. no need to explain. i walked out w/ a smile! :D[/QUOTE]

Now I gotta ask. Which store did you go to? I'm gonna try pickup at the Pacoima store tomorrow, but it'd help to know which store you tried, too.

[quote name='rapsodist']Now I gotta ask. Which store did you go to? I'm gonna try pickup at the Pacoima store tomorrow, but it'd help to know which store you tried, too.[/QUOTE]
Burbank. I was at Pacoima but couldn't find it there.

FLOL, I feel no more like I'm cheating Best Buy than they must feel they're cheating the "regular folks" aka suckers/clueless idiots/soccer moms etc. that shop there and pay full price. Especially the shmucks who they're bending over when they buy regularly priced/MSRP blus that have the "Best Buy every day low price".

--------------

Damn, I forgot about the guy who got the full on PS3 + Move bundle instead of just the Move. I should try ordering some Moves for store pick up at different stores and see if I get lucky.

UGHH, WTF, this might be dead. I was all set to give this a go during lunch, clicked linky to YMMV sku, and it's unavailable at 25 stores in the Houston area, when about all had it yesterday! Either hoarders bought them all up (which is a long shot) or they are fixing the system..edit; now correct link won't work either 'bad request' or maybe its just my stupid internets..

Nope, sounds like those stores got owned lol. I tried checking my store just a minute ago and the situation hasn't changed.

[quote name='Jodou']Nope, sounds like those stores got owned lol. I tried checking my store just a minute ago and the situation hasn't changed.[/QUOTE]

haha, I see it now, switched over to IE9, sometimes Opera ain't worth a damn. thanks!

gonna give this a try for sure!

i spent almost 20 minutes at my store, telling them it was the wrong product, having them get the right one. the cs person rang me out and said "ok, we just need to do an inventory adjustment" another 25 minutes later the cs lead said "this isn't the same product, can't do it". after a little arguing i just returned the bb.com order and walked out. i had too many things to do to spend any more time arguing. going to call back today to talk to a manager, more about the fact that it took 45 minutes to ring me out than anything else.

so it totally worked for me :D !! Walk into the store and they have like 20 of the 2-disc packs on the shelf and 1 copy of the Deathproof Single. I look around for a bit and then head over to the CS counter with nothing in hand. Give her the info, and before I let her touch the computer, I checked it, sure enough, Deathproof, I politely say 'I think it's the wrong one, this is only Deathproof and I got the Grindhouse pack.' Grab it off the shelf, and walk back over. She says something, like 'oh it must be a re-release, this is the second time something like this has happened.' I just say, 'Yes' and smile and nod. She does her thing, no questions, no raised eyebrows, so I know I'm in. When she asked if I'd like a bag, I just smiled b/c I knew I got it!

I guess the magic here is that when you do in-store pickup, they never ever scan anything. My advice, and what I did, is print your second e-mail (order ready for pick up notification) and make sure it prints on two pages. The second page should have evenly broke it to where all you see is the order number and description, there is nothing about a SKU on that page. Simply give them just that page. They will key in the order number (hopefully) from that page, and see the Grindhouse ... in the title, and you should be good. YMMV! and thanks OP!

[quote name='phishphreak77']just called customer service again and got them to honor the 9.99 price but i have to call back after i pick up the item in-store and they've flagged my order with a note saying to issue a 5.00 refund upon pickup of the item. i don't get the whole 14.99 price change thing that the first customer service rep did. oh well, still got it to work out. the phone operators have been more than kind and helpful, not like the in-store customer service cunts.[/QUOTE]

so did you actually pick up the order before you called the help line or did you leave it at the store, technically not picked up, and call the line?

if anyone else who got this can answer, i'd appreciate it

[quote name='token2k6']
I guess the magic here is that when you do in-store pickup, they never ever scan anything. My advice, and what I did, is print your second e-mail (order ready for pick up notification) and make sure it prints on two pages. The second page should have evenly broke it to where all you see is the order number and description, there is nothing about a SKU on that page. Simply give them just that page. They will key in the order number (hopefully) from that page, and see the Grindhouse ... in the title, and you should be good. YMMV! and thanks OP![/QUOTE]

The only thing they normally scan, is the order barcode from the email, if they scan anything.

Otherwise the purchase has been paid for already, so they won't need to scan it again at the register since, the online pick up screen is actually a completely different screen that can be accessed from the registers and nothing to do with ringing the item up for you.

But it's good that you got out alright, and it seems that person was nice to help you out too :D

bread's done
Back