[DEAD] - Right Stuf's 12+ Days of Christmas - 2007

WTK

CAGiversary!
Right Stuf's 12+ Days of Christmas - 2007A Bundle of Anime JoyAnother Bundle of Anime JoyALL PROMOTIONS END ON MIDNIGHT, 12/25/2007!

maxgeek has noted that the first link doesn't work because of the CAG referral system that can mess up links. You have to remove the cag refferal (",a=cheap-ass-gamer") after you click on the link.

[quote name='bigl523']5 days of crappy deals :roll:

I don't want to get too OT again but at least it's more interesting than these uninteresting deals.

To harp on the sub/dub conversation, first and foremost anime is a japanese thing. When the anime producers pick a series the first thing they are thinking is "will my audience of japanese speakers want to watch this?" These guys could give a rats's ass about whether or not it makes sense to Americans or whether they would want to watch it. All of that is just extra. The original language tracks will be in Japanese even if it "makes sense" to have an English track. Would it make sense to have InuYasha only in Japanese with no dub because it's in the feudal era of Japan because it "makes sense?" Of course not, that's silly. [/QUOTE]

Sorry, but with the state of the anime industry right now, this is becoming more and more irrelivent. The Japanese animation studios are relying more and more on U.S. anime distributors for financial backing. And yes, while there are some bad dubs out there, most of the people working on these shows DO care about it. The majority of them are fans are just like everyone who is watching it.

I wish people would just pick a side and stick with it and stop trying to insist they are right. You all are getting as bad as the fucking religious nutjobs who insist you are going to hell. This issue has been driven into the ground and you all just need to give it a fucking rest. You want to READ your anime? Fine. But I'm going to continue WATCHING it.

You know what? I don't care whether or not I have to read subtitles. I'm going to listen to whichever voice work is better for a particular series, be it Japanese or English.

Some series have a Japanese dub that is much better than the English dub, and some series have a really great English dub. For some shows, the Japanese and English voice work is about the same quality, for better or worse. I suppose if both dubs are really good, I usually would listen to the English dub. If both dubs are really bad, then I guess it just depends--sometimes not being able to understand the voice work can be a good thing.

Some dub's ARE really bad though. One of the worst dubs that come to mind is Love Hina. Others are for the most part good with shows like My-Hime, Bleach, etc having most of the cast doing great jobs and 1-2 that sound off.

Others shows like Full Metal Alchemist are damn near perfect and even the most anti-dub fan will tend to agree that the dub is good. The main problem I have with people who say dubs are bad is unless you are fluent in japanese you have no idea how it SHOULD sound.

[quote name='Brian9824'] The main problem I have with people who say dubs are bad is unless you are fluent in japanese you have no idea how it SHOULD sound.[/quote]

That's my only real issue as well.

Here's to hoping the next item on this sale shakes up this conversation. :D

[quote name='Brian9824']Some dub's ARE really bad though. One of the worst dubs that come to mind is Love Hina. Others are for the most part good with shows like My-Hime, Bleach, etc having most of the cast doing great jobs and 1-2 that sound off.

Others shows like Full Metal Alchemist are damn near perfect and even the most anti-dub fan will tend to agree that the dub is good. The main problem I have with people who say dubs are bad is unless you are fluent in japanese you have no idea how it SHOULD sound.[/quote]

I will see if I can find an English audio version of Love Hina; I'll get back to you on whether the dub sucks or not. Care to name a few others so that I can give you my verdict. Great point on the last note.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']That's my only real issue as well.

Here's to hoping the next item on this sale shakes up this conversation. :D[/quote]
I think a "fan suggested vote" would be incredible (I don't recall if I already mentioned it)

I am heavily *hoping* for a stellar deal on (but highly doubt it):
(1) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - LIMITED EDITION version. There are currently 4 Volumes out on market.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/3HI4RexHAfTJn6pzyM/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']...sometimes not being able to understand the voice work can be a good thing.[/quote]

Interestingly enough, after listening to both the Japanese and English for Cowboy Bebop I prefered the English for every main character except Ed. Hearing cheerful non-sensical bable and yet "understanding" it via the subtitles was much more enjoyable than the youthful English voice.

I should also mention that in cases of shows like My-Hime there was some controversy over Natsuki having a Southern accent in the show. People fluent in japanese reported that in the japanese dub she has an Osaka accent which is often translated as a southern accent for US dub.

Alot of people didn't realize she had the osaka accent and thought her voice acting was bad when it actually did a good job.

I can't think of many bad dubs off hand. I know my friends have a massive list though. Love Hina's dub isn't the worst but combined with a plot and story that fails around disc 3 its just the final nail in the coffin.

I'm not entirely sure you need to be fluent in Japanese to realize that things like tone and inflection hit the mark in the Japanese originals as opposed to their English counterparts which often times don't. (I'm not saying all anime in their original versions necessarily never mess it up!)
Goddamn it if the character is yelling I want him/her to sound like it, and hell I think I get the idea that they are even if I'm not fluent in the language.

Personally, I think I can decide if I want to be a purist for some series and a dub watcher for others because I feel I can gauge if a voice fits the character or not even if I'm not fluent in the language.

[quote name='bigl523']
I personally watch subs because it's the closest way for me to get what the producer originally intended the audience to see next to learning Japanese (which I am...slowly, but surely). When you get a dub you are getting what somebody else is interpreting and then interpreting yourself. I find that in dubs more often than subs there is a localization factor where they'll change what the character is saying in order for it to make sense to the viewers instead of sticking to what was actually being said.[/quote]I know this was like a page back, but this was an interesting point and I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Saying that a sub is preferred over dub because it has less alterations may not be accurate. Someone is translating the Japanese language to English, and, especially in the case of a fansub, it may be done incorrectly; fansubbers are usually unpaid and while I'm sure they do their best, there is no reason for quality control; it's all about getting an ep out first. Another thing to consider is that localization and such that you mentioned before is NOT always a bad thing; it's often done to preserve the intent and meaning of the Japanese. Now of course dubbing will be a little more off than a sub simply because Japanese and English mouth movements don't match up, sentences can be longer/shorter, etc, so I agree a sub is preferred in most cases; but if a dub is done correctly it will capture the intent. Word for word translation often won't make sense.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I know this was like a page back, but this was an interesting point and I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Saying that a sub is preferred over dub because it has less alterations may not be accurate. Someone is translating the Japanese language to English, and, especially in the case of a fansub, it may be done incorrectly; fansubbers are usually unpaid and while I'm sure they do their best, there is no reason for quality control; it's all about getting an ep out first. Another thing to consider is that localization and such that you mentioned before is NOT always a bad thing; it's often done to preserve the intent and meaning of the Japanese. Now of course dubbing will be a little more off than a sub simply because Japanese and English mouth movements don't match up, sentences can be longer/shorter, etc, so I agree a sub is preferred in most cases; but if a dub is done correctly it will capture the intent. Word for word translation often won't make sense.[/quote] You also have to consider the professionals doing your subs on DVD releases. I'm sure it's possible that a fansubber can be way more talented than a hired subber, I don't doubt the possibility at all. Sure there is quality control but they're still just people and to what level of quality are they actually held to? As long as it makes sense perhaps some companies see that as quality enough. Does the dialogue need to be extensively translated to match same level of quality and intelligence in the original which may have by the way been more accurately translated by the subbers. I think this could even apply to dubs too, lines jsut might read better in fansubs than they do in retail subs or even dubs.

Now is this idea of mine realistic? Not entirely, but there is talent out there that surpasses the level of "professionals" and I've seen it before.

The argument that watching subs is closer to the intended experience is faulty. If an anime was made with English as the original vocal work, then later subbed into Japanese for their audience would the Japanese viewers appreciate it as the "original context". I think being able to experience the voices along with the visuals and not needing to take your eyes away from the visuals to understand is an important aspect of the intended experience. So an English dub is very close to the experience the Japanese audience gets, watching something in their naitive language.

The above is why I prefer a dub if it's not horrendous, or if I haven't already grown accustom to the Japanese voice actors.

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']I will see if I can find an English audio version of Love Hina; I'll get back to you on whether the dub sucks or not. Care to name a few others so that I can give you my verdict. Great point on the last note.

I think a "fan suggested vote" would be incredible (I don't recall if I already mentioned it)

I am heavily *hoping* for a stellar deal on (but highly doubt it):
(1) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - LIMITED EDITION version. There are currently 4 Volumes out on market.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/3HI4RexHAfTJn6pzyM/browse/search/5/4/0/0/results/desc/asc/50/1[/quote]

Although I already bought all the LE Haruhi Volumes the day they were released, I hope a deal comes through for you. It's a really fun show and deserves a deal so more people can buy it.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']You also have to consider the professionals doing your subs on DVD releases. I'm sure it's possible that a fansubber can be way more talented than a hired subber, I don't doubt the possibility at all. Sure there is quality control but they're still just people and to what level of quality are they actually held to? As long as it makes sense perhaps some companies see that as quality enough. Does the dialogue need to be extensively translated to match same level of quality and intelligence in the original which may have by the way been more accurately translated by the subbers. I think this could even apply to dubs too, lines jsut might read better in fansubs than they do in retail subs or even dubs.

Now is this idea of mine realistic? Not entirely, but there is talent out there that surpasses the level of "professionals" and I've seen it before.[/quote]Oh absolutely; I wasn't trying to say a professional sub is always better than a fansub, but was just saying a fansub, to me, seems more likely to falter, since they have no reason (besides credibility), to do it perfect. I know most will strive for perfection, and I watch fansubs all the time. Anyway, real point was, whether fansub or pro sub or dub, it's all about intent to me. If it gets the point across, I don't mind how it comes across. Of course having an English dub+sub to compare to makes this easy to see sometimes, as a dub can say something completely different than the sub; I think Myazaki's movies tend to have subs for English and Japanese, which I find funny. I guess if you're hearing impaired you might need the English... but then why not just watch the Jap anyway?

[quote name='Brian9824']The main problem I have with people who say dubs are bad is unless you are fluent in japanese you have no idea how it SHOULD sound.[/quote]

That's true, but only to a certain extent. The actual translation can be spotty, but you don't need to understand Japanese to recognize bad acting, or a good performance. There are cultural notes that might be lost in translation (such as the Kansai accent that has already been mentioned), but the quality of a voice actor's work isn't dependant on whether or not you are fluent in the language he/she is speaking. A bad Japanese actor is a bad actor, period. Obviously, the reverse is true for good voice actors.

The quality of a translation is debatable, but really it's only debatable if you know Japanese. However, an English voice actor isn't translating the Japanese performance. He/she is reading the translated script, and playing his/her role. How they want to interpret the role is up to them, but actors aren't experts in Japanese cultural notes.

Translations aside, I can decide for myself if I don't like an American voice actor's performance. Case in point: I generally considered the Japanese acting for Neon Genesis Evangelion to be pretty good. However, the English dub was inferior, in my opinion, because I found the performance of several actors (Asuka's and Shinji's) to be rather grating. I don't care how accurate their performance was; the English dub got annoying.

Still, it can be tough to interpret a Japanese actor's work. Aya Hirano's role as Haruhi Suzumiya was fantastic. Haruhi's English actor was pretty good, but I still liked the Japanese version better.

I also want to mention there are some cases where english translation is BETTER then original. It's not common but the best one that comes to mine is Bleach.

The english translation into Soul Reaper has been said to be superior to the japanese word for it by Tite Kubo. This is often the exception but something to keep in mind.

I just remembered some TERRIBLE dubs. They aren't from an anime but from a video game. Final Fantasy X. The person who did Yuna was atrocious, she was like some kind of emo robot on depressants. The other characters weren't much better. The same goes for FFXII. As for a bad translation, I had on the japanese voice actors for Disgaea 2 and the translators definitely took some liberties with that one (ZAM anyone?).

A good dub I just remembered was Princess Mononoke. They did a very good job on that one. The rest I just can't listen to as I already have the original Japanese voices stuck in my head and the dubs just sound "weird."

In the end I think we all have personal preferences and no matter how much we argue on the internet I don't think anyone's personal opinion is going to change.

Back OT, I would like to see some Haruhi specials as well, I really enjoyed that anime.

I think FLCL's dub was well done. Of course I've never listened to the Japanese tracks. I really should pop those DVDs in and give it a try. I just remember reading about how pleased the director was with the English voice actor for Haruko.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Now that is an AWESOME deal! I am biased though because Big O is probably my second favorite show ever. Too bad I already bought both seasons years ago (at full retail). Great dub. :)[/QUOTE]I agree completely. Big O is an absolutely phenomenal series, and I'm glad to see it represented in this sale despite my already owning both seasons. I can't give this anime enough praise. It's that good.

eh the page wont update todays deal for me :( I hope they have a deal this week for Air TV along with the movie that comes out tuesday, Nerima Daikon Brothers,
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, or Seed Destiny. That would get me spending some dough

im sure the deals will get better by the end of this sale...and im not sure if Big O is a good deal but im strangely tempted enough to bite on the 1st season...

I would love to pick up Big O, but that anime legends thing is preventing me from it. It would throw off the aesthetics of my shelf.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I would love to pick up Big O, but that anime legends thing is preventing me from it. It would throw off the aesthetics of my shelf.[/QUOTE]
:roll:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:roll:[/QUOTE]

lol my thought exactly.

Anyway, great deal on the Big O sets IMO. I paid about that much total (a little less for the first season, little more for the second season) for the original boxsets, and even then one of the sets I bought used.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:roll:[/quote]

I also refuse to buy thinpaks.
Just like I refuse to buy player's choice/greatest hits games.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I would love to pick up Big O, but that anime legends thing is preventing me from it. It would throw off the aesthetics of my shelf.[/quote]

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:roll:[/quote]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I also refuse to buy thinpaks.
Just like I refuse to buy player's choice/greatest hits games.[/quote]

I actually completely understand what ChibiJosh is talking about. I am the same way. It's all in the aesthetics (and obviously the shows themselves). That's why there are different special edition packaging not just in the anime world either.

Often times, thinpacks and other economic packs has content omitted from the DVD. Plus the larger boxsets looks better on display.

[quote name='strawberryshortcake']I actually completely understand what ChibiJosh is talking about. I am the same way. It's all in the aesthetics (and obviously the shows themselves). That's why there are different special edition packaging not just in the anime world either.

Often times, thinpacks and other economic packs has content omitted from the DVD. Plus the larger boxsets looks better on display.[/quote]

i agree that anime boxes that hold the original singles look 10x better on display than thinpaks...and thats why most of my anime dvds are IN the anime box sets...however, thinpaks are always a good route to take given they're design and price :whistle2:D

I'll agree about "Player's Choice" titles, but for anime? Hmm...

I suppose it's just because I really like the Anime Legends boxes...they're so small...yet all the EXTRAS are intact; unlike ADV's oddly shaped and never consistent packaging, without the extra material.

Seriously, could you imagine if a videogame company took out a few levels and released a "thinpack" version? Who the hell would ever buy that?

On topic...a decent deal today. Too bad I hate Big O. I really have no idea what is so appealing about this show...mechs and a lame story? No thanks. Seriously what am I not getting? I've seen about 80% of the show, and it's like watching a poor man's batman with mechs. I'll stick with Gundam if I want to watch mechs.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I also refuse to buy thinpaks.
Just like I refuse to buy player's choice/greatest hits games.[/quote]

I with you on not buying ADV thinpaks. However, it isn't because of how it looks, its because they leave out bonus material compared to the regular releases. That's why I paid a CAG for the regular version of Azumanga Daioh instead of the stripped thinpak.

*edt* Ndolger said the same thing.

Ndolger, I tend to dislike mech shows, but Roger Smith and Dorothy Wayneright are great characters IMO. The story is bananas, but most of the characters are endearing to me. Plus, the Black Megadeus is badass. :)

Uggghhh....this has just been an absolutely awful sale.

Beh...when will this sale equate to last year's decent sale or to two years' ago great sale.

I still have some of my emails from last year, so where are the good deals like Vision of Escaflowne, Genshiken, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Inuyasha (season sets, not just for the movies which are overpriced), etc.

Why didn't rightstuf offer the entire "Rumbling Hearts" boxset that includes the collector's artbox instead of this bundle?

[quote name='WTK']Day 07 - December 9th: Rumbling Hearts DVD Bargain Bundle (1-3): $19.99[/quote]
I think I might have to skip this one as well, but I *think* I might want it. I've got to either netflix this series or locate some individual clips via the web. A series I would consider possibly getting but the offering of the bundle set instead of the box set automaticallly screams no sale.

Unless of course Shawn/Rightstuf wants me to spend a total of $30.00 plus shipping cost (~$3.00).
(A) $19.99 = bundle vol. 1, 2, 3
(B) $9.99 = collector's artbox with volume 1

*****DOES AMAZON.COM include tax? I haven't ordered from amazon in a long time.******

AMAZON.COM: "Rumbling Hearts" boxset at $24.99 down at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Rumbling-Hearts-Box-Set/dp/B000S1KUMY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1197184105&sr=8-1

Rightstuf: Volume 1 + artbox: $9.99 (currently as of 12-8-07)
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/1X3=TqBq2JqgU0x6kj/browse/item/71559/4/0/0

Rightstuf: Volume 1, 2, 3 bundle: $19.99
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/1X3=TqBq2JqgU0x6kj/browse/item/77025/4/0/0

Rightstuf Total approximately $30.00 = Rumbling Hearts artbox w/ Vol 1. + (bundle: Vol 1,2,3)

VS.

Total approximately $24.99 + tax???? + S/H??? = boxset at down at Amazon.com

I'm kinda-sorta tempted by this once (less than $10 a DVD= good)... but I've never really wanted to see this show. Plus, seeing that Amazon link kinda kills the deal for an artbox-junkie like me. (As far as I know, Amazon doesn't charge tax.)

Is it correct that the $25 Rumbling Hearts box set from amazon contains the same box + DVDs as rightstuf's $30 V.1 art box + DVD bundles? That is, the box set is just a factory bundle of all 3 DVDs in the same box, right?

I heard this is a very good show (just not for children). If so, I might just pick it up from amazon :)

[quote name='eau']Is it correct that the $25 Rumbling Hearts box set from amazon contains the same box + DVDs as rightstuf's $30 V.1 art box + DVD bundles? That is, the box set is just a factory bundle of all 3 DVDs in the same box, right?

I heard this is a very good show (just not for children). If so, I might just pick it up from amazon :)[/QUOTE]

If it says box set, it's probably got the same art box. I ordered the whole set from Rightstuf a while ago and it was shrinkwrapped with the other 2 volumes in it. Plus, I've seen this set on sale at Fry's in the same packaging. You should get it from Amazon if you want it. That's the best deal I've seen for it.

aw man Rumbling Hearts for $20 without the box. I picked up the box for $33 after using 30 or 40% off on Funimation titles a couple months back. That box is hardly worth $10, though it is quite sturdy. lol

Oh well. I haven't opened up the dvds yet either..still in their shrinkwrap, though I took the wrap off the box.

The boxset is basically just the 3 individual dvds with the extra box that came with the Vol. 1 extra. Nothing added or taken out as far as I know in terms of discs/content. Amazon doesn't charge tax (for practically every state I think) and you get free shipping on most orders over $25. But seeing as how it's 24.99, you'd need to find some filler to get that free shipping, otherwise I don't know how much Amazon shipping is normally.

Rumbling Hearts is an absolutely fantastic show, and whether you get it from RightStuf or Amazon, everyone should jump on it for those prices.

Rumbling Hearts is horrible. One of the main characters is one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen, and apparently you're stupposed to sympathize with her. Add onto that the horribly out of place comedy bits in the resturant, and the ending which made me want to punch kittens.

I guess liking this show hinges on how well you deal with someone who gets drunk all the time, cheats on her boyfriend, selfishly causes her best friend to fall into a coma, and then seduces that friend's boyfriend. Then on top of that you're supposed to be happy for her in the end. fuck that.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Rumbling Hearts is horrible. One of the main characters is one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen, and apparently you're stupposed to sympathize with her. Add onto that the horribly out of place comedy bits in the resturant, and the ending which made me want to punch kittens.

I guess liking this show hinges on how well you deal with someone who gets drunk all the time, cheats on her boyfriend, selfishly causes her best friend to fall into a coma, and then seduces that friend's boyfriend. Then on top of that you're supposed to be happy for her in the end. fuck that.[/quote]

Wow. Sounds crazy.

well i picked it up last nite when they posted it. Although I am regretting it a bit in the morning now. It is a decent enough price (less than 7 per dvd) but the amazon price with box makes it seem pretty medicore as a deal.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Wow. Sounds crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a pretty crazy show. But the story sucked me in when I watched it. I was watching the first episode thinking it was going to be a generic harem anime show. As I was watching it, I thought to myself, "Man, this is going to be the same crap all over again." So proven wrong after the first episode.

[quote name='bigl523']Not to dump on Right Stuf's sale but I just wanted to let people know that they could pick up volume 1 of Haruhi (standard edition) at fye.com for $12 ($10.79 if your a member). I thnk amazon has it for $27. Just because I've seen some people wanting Haruhi deals in this thread.

http://www.fye.com/The-Melancholy-of-Haruhi-Suzumiya--Vol--1-Front-Page_stcVVproductId10618927VVcatId455366VVviewprod.htm[/quote]

An absolutely stellar price and thanks for the deal; two thumbs big up.

Unfortunately it's simply the standard version. The limited edition is actually the one to get despite the higher price. It is with the Limited Edition that supplies fan with two (2) DVD disc. But the important thing to note is that it's not simply another special feature disc; the 2nd disc likely has EVEN higher value to those who caught the series originally. Plus the Limited Edition comes supplied with the important Collector's Artbox to house the other volumes.

Although I haven't seen the series nor a full episode, the single disc has the episodes played in *chronological* order -- some fans believe that this damages the integrity of the original broadcast. Accordingly, Haruhi is suppose to be "told out of order intentionally." (I have seen clips and believe this is a must own series; the animation is by far better than most anime out there especially considering it's a television long series)

The 2nd disc found only within the Limited Edition packaging gives fans the opportunity to enjoy the series in non-chronological order. It must also be realized that the 2nd disc is only available in Japanese audio with English subtitles; there is absolutley no stand alone English audio track on the 2nd disc. The 1st disc has the awesome option for the English language track but the difference being the playback in chronological order.

I'm a English DUB supporter all the way, but would still rather have that limited edition set.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000NVT0PM/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_next_2?%5Fencoding=UTF8&pageNumber=2&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

By Vey www.amazon.com reviewer

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is an excellent series, one of the best to come out of Japan in quite some time, and a personal favorite. And the extras in the box set are impressive. So why am I giving it such a low rating? Because Bandai and Kadokawa Pictures USA have made what I consider a rather poor decision in the English release. The episodes are presented IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER!!! Why is this a problem? Because Haruhi is told out of order intentionally. This significantly adds to the mystery of the show, and gives it quite a powerful ending (as compared to the chronological end of the series, which appears mid series in broadcast form, and is rather dull). Each episode beyond the first ends with the two main characters, Kyon and Haruhi, vocally battling over the next episode's number; which makes for a humorous, if initially confusing, preview. This is all gone! Most fans of the show saw it first in fansub form in the original broadcast order. These DVDs are presented in chronological order like the Japanese DVD release. That release was heavily criticized by the show's very large fan base (Haruhi was one of Japan's two biggest Anime releases last year, deservedly so). I don't know what they were thinking then or now. "

From what I have read, the above individual is absolutely right and has validity for his disgust given that the 2nd disc supplied on the Limited Edition version is only availabe in Japanese audio, played *supposedly* in more desirable non-chronological order.

By Porcupine www.amazon.com reviewer

"Regarding the order of the episodes, it's nothing to complain about. The Japanese DVD release was in the same order. Furthermore, the chronological order and DVD order and broadcast order are not really any different at this point in time (the first 4 episodes only). The changes become more dramatic later on. Right now, it's only a 1 episode difference (baseball episode postponed, I think) which is nothing.

Also, the Special Editions of Haruhi are supposed to come with a 2nd DVD that has the episodes in broadcast order, starting with the next volume. If that's true then you should have nothing to complain about, but it hasn't come out yet so I dunno for sure."

By Aldrich Bautista www.amazon.com reviewer

Check out the ASOS Brigade's website. VOL 2 thru 4 of the special edition WILL include a special DVD in the Original broadcast order:
http://asosbrigade.com/oplet01/

So if you buy all the special editions you are effectively buying two DVD sets. One in Broadcast Order the other Original Japanese DVD release order.

BTW, I enjoyed their little videos on the site. Also despite some of the hickups, I still enjoyed the SOS Brigade Invasion Tour at Anime Expo 2007.

Well the first volume of the limited edition does not come with an extra DVD. Those don't start until volume 2. So if what you mainly want it for is the broadcast order, you can get the standard first volume.

If you wanted to watch them out of order wouldn't it be cheaper to simply collect all the standard volumes and then watch in the wrong (right) order? Or is there something I'm failing to understand here....

bread's done
Back