(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I'm planning to trade for Ridge Racers (after initially reserving Ape Escape)

Outlaw Golf 2
Midtown Madness 3
Tiger Woods 2004

Will I be ripped off? I got all of these for free so I think I'm good to go.

[quote name='birdfart']Sounds more like you are ripping off them. Anytime you get over $13 for an older sports game is a good deal to me.[/quote]

I ditto that!

Anyone have luck with Outlaw Golf 9 More in So. Cal?

I went back and sure enough the guy that gave me lip last time was there, and I tried to get specific with him, and he said anything not on the POX list, and as long as it's not a demo. Which in his opinion 9 More holes was a "demo".

I'm just going to try other EBs, this guy has nothing better to do than rain on everyones parade. I swear, he acts like i'm are making his paycheck smaller by using advertised deals.

[quote name='JDMxB']Anyone have luck with Outlaw Golf 9 More in So. Cal?

I went back and sure enough the guy that gave me lip last time was there, and I tried to get specific with him, and he said anything not on the POX list, and as long as it's not a demo. Which in his opinion 9 More holes was a "demo".

I'm just going to try other EBs, this guy has nothing better to do than rain on everyones parade. I swear, he acts like i'm are making his paycheck smaller by using advertised deals.[/quote]

Where in SoCal are you having problems? I'm basically at the very bottom of Socal and have gotten it to work each time.

Thanks a lot for answering Yankeez. I'll try another EB tomorrow since the guy at the one i went to tonight was clueless to even the 3 for sony published games. I've gotta get Ridge Racer and Metal Gear for launch before the 1/$10 expires Tuesday.

Hrm, second post, my last post was a while ago, but I tried the "Trade in 5 Games for $50 towards Doom 3" deal...
This list should help someone who may have a few of these:

PO-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (PS2) - $10.00 -> $10.00 (no manual)
PO-Simpsons Road Rage (XB) - $3.00 -> $10.00
POX-Outlaw Volleyball: Red Hot - $0.25
PO-Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (XB) $2.00 -> $10.00
PO-Outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes Holiday Golf - $0.50 -> $10.00
POX-Sega GT 2002/Jet Set Radio Future - $0.25
POX-Jampack 10 - $0.25
POX-The Getaway - $2.00
POX-Dead to Rights (PS2) - $2.00
PO-Jampack Winter 2003 - $0.25
PO-Bombastic - $0.75 -> $10.00

Strangely, Jampack Winter 2003 was PO, but not accepting...The manager there was nice as hell tho, he added Bombastic on there (.75 bumped up to $10), and then sold me it back for $6.35 after tax. Obviously I didn't get to keep it, but it saved me a few bucks, since my games would of been $20 worth of trade in... I got $55 towards Doom 3 CE now, my first cheap ass transaction, thanks to these forums :) I should start posting more often now. Thanks again.

(Btw, they didn't catch SFAC not having a manual since they checked all of my games and told me I was a game short, so I went home, and brought that. (previously a blockbuster PO'd game))

Hrm... I'm already trading for Wipeout Pure, and I have another set of three games to trade in. There's no other first party Sony game I want though, and apparently it's ok to switch the preorder to any other game? If they won't let me for some reason, is it ok to just cancel the preorder and get back $40 on a gift card?

Thanks in advance.

I heard some older sports titles work, like Fever '02 and NFL 2k3 xbox, yet I see them on the POX list. Can anyone confirm?

[quote name='twen']Hrm, second post, my last post was a while ago, but I tried the "Trade in 5 Games for $50 towards Doom 3" deal...

POX-Jampack 10 - $0.25
POX-The Getaway - $2.00

Strangely, Jampack Winter 2003 was PO, but not accepting...The manager there was nice as hell tho, he added Bombastic on there (.75 bumped up to $10), and then sold me it back for $6.35 after tax. Obviously I didn't get to keep it, but it saved me a lot a few bucks, since my games would of been $20 worth of trade in... I got $55 towards Doom 3 CE now, my first cheap ass transaction, thanks to these forums :) I should start posting more often now. Thanks again.

(Btw, they didn't catch SFAC not having a manual since they checked all of my games and told me I was a game short, so I went home, and brought that. (previously a blockbuster PO'd game))[/quote]

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

i know you're new... but you were ripped off.

here's what you shoud've done....
i see there are SIX PO games there...
you traded 5 for $50 towards Doom 3

you should've traded three games for Gretzky PSP ($40)
and another three for Soccer PSP ($40)

then exchanged them both for $80 store credit.

you lost $30.

:(

[quote name='peteyrose']Hrm... I'm already trading for Wipeout Pure, and I have another set of three games to trade in. There's no other first party Sony game I want though, and apparently it's ok to switch the preorder to any other game? If they won't let me for some reason, is it ok to just cancel the preorder and get back $40 on a gift card?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Thats a very YMMV, I had trouble in my store earlier today trying to do that. I would just pick up the game you pre-ordered through the deal and say it got sucky reviews and you want to trade it for a better reviewed game. If the guy behind the counter is any kind of gamer he should understand were you are coming from and let you trade it in.

[quote name='ajh2298'][quote name='peteyrose']Hrm... I'm already trading for Wipeout Pure, and I have another set of three games to trade in. There's no other first party Sony game I want though, and apparently it's ok to switch the preorder to any other game? If they won't let me for some reason, is it ok to just cancel the preorder and get back $40 on a gift card?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Thats a very YMMV, I had trouble in my store earlier today trying to do that. I would just pick up the game you pre-ordered through the deal and say it got sucky reviews and you want to trade it for a better reviewed game. If the guy behind the counter is any kind of gamer he should understand were you are coming from and let you trade it in.[/quote]

Thats the line I used and it worked like a charm. I'm betting the key is simply don't piss off the people working.

I'd assume you would have to get one of the sports games to use that excuse. I don't think it would fly if you wanted to return Wipeout Pure and say it got bad reviews :p

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='twen']Hrm, second post, my last post was a while ago, but I tried the "Trade in 5 Games for $50 towards Doom 3" deal...

POX-Jampack 10 - $0.25
POX-The Getaway - $2.00

Strangely, Jampack Winter 2003 was PO, but not accepting...The manager there was nice as hell tho, he added Bombastic on there (.75 bumped up to $10), and then sold me it back for $6.35 after tax. Obviously I didn't get to keep it, but it saved me a lot a few bucks, since my games would of been $20 worth of trade in... I got $55 towards Doom 3 CE now, my first cheap ass transaction, thanks to these forums :) I should start posting more often now. Thanks again.

(Btw, they didn't catch SFAC not having a manual since they checked all of my games and told me I was a game short, so I went home, and brought that. (previously a blockbuster PO'd game))[/quote]

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

you lost $30.

:([/quote]

I second that. Likewise, he should have really held onto the POX's; especially the ones he got a quarter for...just incase EB does one of those "no exclusion" deals again. Boy I tell ya, those were some great times last month.

[quote name='pelf21']Do the new ESPN sports games work? Like ESPN NBA 2K5 or NFL 2K5?[/quote]

Yep they do the first batch of three I traded in had NFL 2k5 and NHL 2k5 both Xbox and they worked fine.

[quote name='centraldogmae'][quote name='joystickz'][quote name='twen']My original post goes here[/quote]

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

you lost $30.

:([/quote]

I second that. Likewise, he should have really held onto the POX's; especially the ones he got a quarter for...just incase EB does one of those "no exclusion" deals again. Boy I tell ya, those were some great times last month.[/quote]

Uh, if you read my post, my Jampack Winter 2003 was listed as PO, but did not work for some reason. The nice manager was doing me a favor by trading in a game I never even heard of, let alone own (Bombastic), and having me "buy it back", so it still makes 5. That, and the fact that I wanted Doom 3 CE to begin with, it's still good. Saves the hassle of returning and various crap. (I remember last months deals, but I just got my license on Tuesday, so ya know, that was kinda hard to get over to EB)..I still came out ahead in the long run anyways, I'm fine with it.

Edit 1: When was the last time (besides last month ;)), that EB had a 'no exclusion' deal like that?

Edit 2: Those games have been just collecting dust for a long time, I replaced the PS2 cases with generic DVD cases and such, which was the only thing of value from them anyways.

Did another 3 for 1 trade in again today. Traded in another
Outlaw Golf: 9 Holes, another outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes, and an X-Box Beyond Good and Evil that I got from the Toys R Us 90% off sale for $2. Total spend $7. Picked up Wipeout.

So in total spent $11 on the six games I traded in and got Gretzky and Wipeout. Not too bad I must say. Maybe I'll work another one or two before the 10th.

[quote name='twen']

Edit 1: When was the last time (besides last month ;)), that EB had a 'no exclusion' deal like that?
[/quote]

Heh, never. And considering how much we milked it, they'll probably never do it again. :) And you're right, it is important not to be too greedy and piss off your local EB staff by making them jump through hoops. You need to stay on polite terms with them, so they won't try to cockblock you on future deals.

[quote name='salmonaxxx']...it is important not to be too greedy and piss off your local EB staff by making them jump through hoops. You need to stay on polite terms with them, so they won't try to cockblock you on future deals.[/quote]

Yea, like I said, I'm on good terms with my EB at the mo, which is why the Manager (not just some random employee), 'traded in' a game I didn't have, got the $10 bonus for that, and then 'sold' me back the game for $6.35 a/t, because I techinally had only 4 working PO games (I'm not including the Jampack, since it wouldn't work, and he even called tech support about it, but did not mention the actual disc ;)). So I have $55 (the extra $5 is from the POX games), down for Doom 3 CE, which like I said, I already wanted it, and I don't have to worry about them not letting me cancel a preorder, and getting a different game.

[quote name='FFMooglestar'][quote name='JDMxB']Anyone have luck with Outlaw Golf 9 More in So. Cal?

I'm just going to try other EBs, this guy has nothing better to do than rain on everyones parade. I swear, he acts like i'm are making his paycheck smaller by using advertised deals.[/quote]

Where in SoCal are you having problems? I'm basically at the very bottom of Socal and have gotten it to work each time.[/quote]

This was at the EB in the Santa Anita Mall...Westfield Shopping center in Arcadia.

The jerk guy was this big huge fat dude--his lackeys actually looked like they wanted to help, but had to defer to him and that's when he laid the smackdown.

[quote name='ViPeR']Where can i get the best price or deal for a PSP?[/quote]

Free at EBGames.

Bundle Price: $300.00

Simply Trade in 24 games not on the POX list and receive 8 of the sony published games listed at $39.99.

Then, exchange all 8 for $320 store credit.
Use that to get your PSP.

At an average of $5 per Non-POX games... you'd probably only spend about $120.

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='ViPeR']Where can i get the best price or deal for a PSP?[/quote]

Free at EBGames.

Simply Trade in 24 games not on the POX list and receive 8 of the sony published games listed at $39.99.

At an average of $5 per Non-POX games... you'd probably only spend about $120.[/quote]

Hmm..

Got a list of those POX titles? If I could trade away 25 games and get a free PSP, I'd reconsider..

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='joystickz'][quote name='ViPeR']Where can i get the best price or deal for a PSP?[/quote]

Free at EBGames.

At an average of $5 per Non-POX games... you'd probably only spend about $120.[/quote]

Hmm..

Got a list of those POX titles? If I could trade away 25 games and get a free PSP, I'd reconsider..[/quote]

welcome to page 22
:wink:

I only have six games i'd be willing to part with that aren't on the list.. oh well.

(Dino Crisis 3, Crimson Sea, Fight Night 2004, NBA Jam, Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf, and Outlaw Golf 2)

[quote name='Scorch']I only have six games i'd be willing to part with that aren't on the list.. oh well.

(Dino Crisis 3, Crimson Sea, Fight Night 2004, NBA Jam, Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf, and Outlaw Golf 2)[/quote]

24-7=17

17 nonPOX games to buy at an average of $5 = $85.00

are you saying no to a PSP for $85?

[quote name='Scorch']...Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf...[/quote]

Outlaw Golf Holiday Golf was Confirmed as POX even though its not on the list.

Outlaw Golf: Nine MORE Holes of Xmas is PO.

Outlaw Golf: Nine Holes of Xmas is still undetermined.

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='Scorch']I only have six games i'd be willing to part with that aren't on the list.. oh well.

(Dino Crisis 3, Crimson Sea, Fight Night 2004, NBA Jam, Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf, and Outlaw Golf 2)[/quote]

24-7=17

are you saying no to a PSP for $85?[/quote]

Sir, I'd say no to a PSP for $30.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='joystickz'][quote name='Scorch']I only have six games i'd be willing to part with that aren't on the list.. oh well.

24-7=17

Sir, I'd say no to a PSP for $30.[/quote]

what would you do with that $30 instead?

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='joystickz'][quote name='Scorch']I only have six games i'd be willing to part with that aren't on the list.. oh well.

24-7=17

Sir, I'd say no to a PSP for $30.[/quote]

what would you do with that $30 instead?[/quote]

Get a nice dinner. I dunno, the PSP just doesn't appeal to me. Whoopdedoo, sports games, yet another Twisted Metal (TM:B was awesome though), and yet another Sony launch with Wipeout and Ridge Racer. Nothing on the horizon that makes me say 'wow' and the screen's too small to watch movies for my taste. I'd get it if I could get it for free after trade-ins, but I wouldn't pay for it :)

I found Reel Fishing III (PS2)at K-mart for $1.99 over the weekend. It’s $12.99 used on ebgames.com and not on the exclusions lists so it can potentially make good trade in fodder (gonna trade in mine later on this afternoon)

Has ne1 tried trading in the crimson skies game that comes with the xbox system? Its not on the exclusion list but it does say "Not for Resale" on a corner of the cover. Will they take it?

[quote name='JDMxB'][quote name='FFMooglestar'][quote name='JDMxB']Anyone have luck with Outlaw Golf 9 More in So. Cal?

Where in SoCal are you having problems? I'm basically at the very bottom of Socal and have gotten it to work each time.[/quote]

This was at the EB in the Santa Anita Mall...Westfield Shopping center in Arcadia.

The jerk guy was this big huge fat dude--his lackeys actually looked like they wanted to help, but had to defer to him and that's when he laid the smackdown.[/quote]

Ah, I have only had luck with San Diego stores. If you make them scan it in or type it in and show you the computer screen it will say PO which will work. If he keeps telling you it won't work, tell him to do it anyway, and maybe you won't leave til he does it. After he scans the three games that shoul all come up as PO, have him scan the PSP game you want and watch the trade in values go from almost nothing to 13.33. After that give him the tax and walk out of the store with your new PSP game.

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='Scorch']...Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf...[/quote]

Outlaw Golf Holiday Golf was Confirmed as POX even though its not on the list.

Outlaw Golf: Nine MORE Holes of Xmas is PO.

Outlaw Golf: Nine Holes of Xmas is still undetermined.[/quote]

I have done 9 Holes For the Holiday, and Nine MORE Holes of XMas, and they both worked. I even did them in the same transaction.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Could anyone confirm or deny the no-manual issue? Are games not allowed to be traded in toward this deal if they lack manuals?[/quote]

everyone has confirmed that having manuals/not having manuals is YMMV.

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='lord_ebonstone']Could anyone confirm or deny the no-manual issue? Are games not allowed to be traded in toward this deal if they lack manuals?[/quote]

everyone has confirmed that having manuals/not having manuals is YMMV.[/quote]k. Didn't notice this on the flyer. And sorry if it was said earlier in the thread, but can you really blame me for not wanting to wade through the fifteen pages I haven't read? :wink:

BTW, what's the magic trick you have to do to get Outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes of XMas accepted? In my case, three seperate EBs scanned the UPC on the game, got a funny look on their face, and said "We don't even trade that."

OTOH, I've read in this thread that they do indeed trade it, just, the UPC isn't read properly in their system. Do I have to get them to do a lookup? Should I sharpie out the UPC so they're forced to do a lookup, no questions asked?

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']BTW, what's the magic trick you have to do to get Outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes of XMas accepted? In my case, three seperate EBs scanned the UPC on the game, got a funny look on their face, and said "We don't even trade that."

OTOH, I've read in this thread that they do indeed trade it, just, the UPC isn't read properly in their system. Do I have to get them to do a lookup? Should I sharpie out the UPC so they're forced to do a lookup, no questions asked?[/quote]

9 Holes of Holiday Golf will scan in as PO

9 More Holes of XMAS you have to get them to look it up. That sharpie move would probably work well if they won't look it up for you after they scan it.

thank you so much OP!
Turned about $60 of PO games from Blockbuster + Gamestop's B2G1F and scored Ape Escape (3 games), Metal Gear Acid (4 games), and Lumines (4 games)

Basically doubled my money!

[quote name='JDMxB'][quote name='FFMooglestar'][quote name='JDMxB']Anyone have luck with Outlaw Golf 9 More in So. Cal?

The jerk guy was this big huge fat dude--his lackeys actually looked like they wanted to help, but had to defer to him and that's when he laid the smackdown.[/quote]

Oh no... I live in Arcadia and that's the store I'm going to be trading in games to. I think all my trade-in games are legit, but I still hate having to deal with the people in that store :?

Does anyone know if it's okay to return unopened games (with a reciept) purchased from one EB location to a different EB where the purchase was not made?

I just went to gamespot and got 7 more games for trade in, around 40 bucks and used jampack 11 (that got rejected by another eb yesterday) and preordered luminies and ridge racer. The manager there was cool about taking the mostly crap games. He did say that Ridge Racer quantities are extremely limited for launch and that several of the games are not going to be restocked until April 1st. That EB had only 3 left of Wipeout and Twisted Metal. Everybody should hurry up if they want to have their games for Thursday from this deal.

[quote name='RisingZan']Does anyone know if it's okay to return unopened games (with a reciept) purchased from one EB location to a different EB where the purchase was not made?[/quote]

EB does non-recipt returns, so you could just return it withotu the recipt, say you got it as a gift, and then you can get another PSP game (but they won't give you store credit, you have to get it on the spot).

bread's done
Back