Demigod version1.1 is live!

carpwrist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Version 1.1, the update we've all been waiting on:

[quote name='Frogboy'] Teams can concede a game to end it early once it becomes apparent who is going to win.
Launch of the second Epoch online. Existing statistics archived and rankings based on new games.
Improved chat window handling
When players sell a minion idol, minions connected to that idol are destroyed.
Improved computer AI.
Removed “spammy” achievement alerts.
Improved visuals on certain nVidia cards at lower quality settings.
Heart of Life more expensive, now an artifact, longer cooldown.
Hex Scroll is more powerful
Pantheon games are forced to even teams (e.g. 3 vs. 3)
Reward for completing a game is now 40 favor points.
Reduced experience and gold reward from killing piling priests and angels.
Angel unit AI improved
Many small tweaks and fixes to engine and multiplayer
Custom Games fully make use of new Demigod Online system developed by Stardock:
Players who have opened their ports get directly connected.
Players who don’t have opened ports will get connected via a NAT server
Players who still can’t connect will have their games hosted by Stardock servers based in Asia, Europe, or North America depending on player location.
[/quote]

Old News.
EDIT: Game is now live. See you all in the Pantheon!

http://www.demigodthegame.com/

[size=+1]features:[/size]
What is Demigod?

* Revolutionary strategy/action game that combines tactical prowess with role-playing depth
* Battle in a persistent online world in multiplayer, or a virtual persistent universe in single-player, as you battle your way toward ascension
* Increase your Demigod's powers and abilities by leveling up during each battle
* Wage massive, earth-shattering battles across a series of awe-inspiring Arenas
* Seize key, strategic positions on the map and turn the tide against your enemy. Push deep into their base and destroy them once and for all
* Wage war alone or join forces with other Demigods and lay waste to mutual enemies

Playing Demigod:

* Two types of Demigods with two styles of play: Assassin and General
* Simple controls based on your Demigod's play style
* Advanced AI
* Robust multiplayer
o Ranked and unranked games via our Impulse service
o Clan, chat, and tournament support
* Future plans include downloadable content

[size=+1]screens:[/size]
demigod_ss1.jpg

[size=+1]Beta:[/size]
Started on September 4th. Did anyone get in???

In a nutshell:
A game more DotA than Defense of the Ancients itself... with an emphasis on epic heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting how you brought up DotA. When (I think John Davison) mentioned it on 1Up Yours a couple weeks ago I thought the same thing.

Even though the landscapes look barren those units do look really nice.

Two things worry me about this game. 1) There won't be enough Demigod choices or difference between them. 2) They don't have a very feature complete release and try to make up for it with payed DLC.

I can see there being not enough Demigods, but differences? Rook is by far the most unique hero I've seen in any game. I guess he does resemble Tiny from DotA, but not realllly.
Things to look forward to:
multiple maps. as much as I like DotA, playing the same map EVERY game is exhausting.
Also, Gaspowered Games hasn't done DLC in their games (expansions is another story). They are a small team, I think they'll be way too busy making tweaks in gameplay and adding features to be trying to make a few extra bucks from their flagship title.

I coulda sworn they like straight up said it was just a ripoff of DotA...

I'll stick to my Starcraft, though, thanks ^_^

and Starcraft II whenever that comes out

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I coulda sworn they like straight up said it was just a ripoff of DotA...

I'll stick to my Starcraft, though, thanks ^_^

and Starcraft II whenever that comes out[/QUOTE]

Wow, the CAG community is starting to really piss me off with comments like that. WTF does Starcraft have to do with an upcoming title? It's not the only game your PC can play. The original is 11 years old, there's been alot of improvements since then.
Okay in half-seriousness, half maniacal-frustration
Starcraft II is exciting, I'll be the first to admit if it only took one dick to suck off to get into the beta, I'd take care of two! You guys are really shitting on my balls with your shallow enthusiasm of other PC titles. I should probably just leave before I get banned for curb-stomping one of you zealots.

in my opinion, it looks like a prettier, simplified version of DotA. which is fine by me.

DotA is no longer fun for me. the learning curve was way too steep and i still had no idea what to do after 20 games. of course i finally know now what to do (sort of), but still find myself asking what to do with each hero i get. and then of course the oh so helpful and kind DotA community would gladly give me advice on how to play that certain hero. nope, not the case. i just get yelled at for being a dumbass and then i get to deal with an endless barrage of trash-talk every time i get killed (from the opponents AND my team). very rarely do i come across a friendly DotA player.

i think demigod will make it easier to pick up and play and i for one am looking forward to that. sure, a hardcore pc gamer can argue that GPG/Stardock is "dumbing it down for the casual audience," and i'll partially agree with them. but i'm not a fast learner and need a lot of practice before i become decent at a game. and sometimes, games that are easy to learn are just what i need to make me feel like i'll never have any chance when playing online.

anyway, i guess i kinda got off topic there. demigod (while still unbalanced due to the beta being an engine test only right now), i think is going to be a very fun game. will it replace DotA? probably not. but i think it will provide a similar/simplier/prettier experience. and with additional maps and general demigods and continuous support from GPG i think it's definetly going to be worth checking out.

DotA+graphics-features doesn't make it likely to gain much popularity.

It reminds me of another game I have, Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War. That RTS game that let you control your hero.

Just like how many RTS gamers still play SC, the people who would be interested in this, would probably just rather play DotA.

You want enthusiasm for other PC titles? How bout Guild Wars 2!

So is it worth buying WarCraft III for DotA? From what I've read about it, it seems like the type of online RTS gaming I might enjoy.

If nothing else, Demigod has fantastic art direction. Especially like the giant rook guy.

[quote name='Serik']So is it worth buying WarCraft III for DotA? From what I've read about it, it seems like the type of online RTS gaming I might enjoy.

If nothing else, Demigod has fantastic art direction. Especially like the giant rook guy.[/QUOTE]
I think so. Plus it comes with WCIII!

Unfortunately, you need the frozen throne too.

But, maybe this Demigod would be the perfect game for you since you haven't gotten used to DotA yet.

Really well put DukeEdwardI. You are on the money when describing DotA players. Most of them are genuine unforgiving assholes, I'm looking forward to a fresh start on this kind of game, which Demigod will deliver.
CK64: I'm stoked for GW2, even though I know virtually nothing about it except its not like Guild Wars.

When I heard they where basicly making a retail version of dota i nearly pissed my pants, well minus the nearly part. Anyway, I have not preordered it yet(dam college and there "grades") but once Christmas break rolls around i will be in the beat faster than you can say " ".

[quote name='Jaland']When I heard they where basicly making a retail version of dota i nearly pissed my pants, well minus the nearly part. Anyway, I have not preordered it yet(dam college and there "grades") but once Christmas break rolls around i will be in the beat faster than you can say " ".[/QUOTE]

Not trying to pressure you, but it is $10 cheaper now with the promotion code going around. Then again, who knows what discounts will appear during the holidays? ;)

If you pre-order it right now do you automatically get in the beta to start playing or has the opportunity already passed?

[quote name='weijiajun']If you pre-order it right now do you automatically get in the beta to start playing or has the opportunity already passed?[/QUOTE]

Well, I just got an answer to your question today:
"Welcome to the Demigod Beta!

Your preorder has been processed and you now have access to Demigod Beta 1. "

Also I get into Beta 2, which is the full game, not just the tech engine! fuck yea!

[quote name='carpwrist']Well, I just got an answer to your question today:
"Welcome to the Demigod Beta!

Your preorder has been processed and you now have access to Demigod Beta 1. "

Also I get into Beta 2, which is the full game, not just the tech engine! fuck yea![/quote]

Now that the game is almost out, how was the beta? It seems the price is no $39.99? Does anyone see deals for this game?

BTW, on Amazon, it's classified as a "Turn Based Strategy" game. Is that true? If it is, it doesn't sound much like DotA.

[quote name='i4ybrid']Now that the game is almost out, how was the beta? It seems the price is no $39.99? Does anyone see deals for this game?

BTW, on Amazon, it's classified as a "Turn Based Strategy" game. Is that true? If it is, it doesn't sound much like DotA.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has it wrong, it's very much real time. If the price is now $40, it is definitely worth it. The Beta is beyond playable, it's enjoyable and feels complete.
I hate to advertise myself, but i felt compelled to write a blog about it, including my gripes, so it's worth the read:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=7372

[quote name='carpwrist']Amazon has it wrong, it's very much real time. If the price is now $40, it is definitely worth it. The Beta is beyond playable, it's enjoyable and feels complete.
I hate to advertise myself, but i felt compelled to write a blog about it, including my gripes, so it's worth the read:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=7372[/QUOTE]

Haha, a pro, 1337, Korean. Funny stuff. The fact that it's Impulse exclusive is a downer for me though, that means it won't likely dip in price any time soon. I may wait to jump on this one.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Haha, a pro, 1337, Korean. Funny stuff. The fact that it's Impulse exclusive is a downer for me though, that means it won't likely dip in price any time soon. I may wait to jump on this one.[/QUOTE]

Good review and I agree, the Korean part was funny.

I agree too that Impulse only is a huge downer because I could see this going to 19.99 easy ... but seems like it's multiplayer heavy which means I may not even get to enjoy it.

[quote name='xycury']I agree too that Impulse only is a huge downer because I could see this going to 19.99 easy ... but seems like it's multiplayer heavy which means I may not even get to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Really? If they're the only ones who can offer it why not keep it at 40-50 price?

[quote name='crystalklear64']So that people would buy it?[/QUOTE]

my statement exactly. with a game like this that is multiplayer heavy, it really doesn't make sense to keep it exclusive and with a download only.

Hmm, I guess that makes sense. I figured the game was so niche and from only one person, they would charge as much as possible. How is Impulse anyway?

[quote name='xycury']my statement exactly. with a game like this that is multiplayer heavy, it really doesn't make sense to keep it exclusive and with a download only.[/quote]

There will be a retail release. Stardock-published games always sell more units at retail, but Impulse sales contribute more revenue by virtue of giving them 2x money per sale.

Impulse is supposedly undergoing a huge upgrade on April 7. I only have SupCom through Impulse, but I really like it. Why? I only see the client when I want. In fact I haven't opened it since last December. Cool.

So Impulse is basically a glorified patch and download manager, at least until they get more community-oriented games like Demigod and Elemental War of Magic.

[quote name='Serik']Impulse is supposedly undergoing a huge upgrade on April 7. I only have SupCom through Impulse, but I really like it. Why? I only see the client when I want. In fact I haven't opened it since last December. Cool.

So Impulse is basically a glorified patch and download manager, at least until they get more community-oriented games like Demigod and Elemental War of Magic.[/quote]

I agree with this. Impulse is quite awesome. The download speeds are way faster than steam, and you only have to open it to download, patch and buy games.

I'm looking forward to the update Impulse is getting on April 7th. They're supposed to be adding more publishers who have agreed to make use of the new Goo DRM they just created. So their library is soon to be increasing. Which is good, because the selection they have now is a little on the weird side. A lot of unknown games.

Stardock is really on the side of PC gamers, and i hope that they're ambitious ideas succeed in a market that is tough on honest PC gamers. I really do trust these guys and i love their attitude towards douchebags. They'd rather not have to give customer support to people who feel they own them because they bought one product.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I just realized it's Stardock who's running this, they have some kick ass aps like the object dock.[/quote]

ah yes, i love objectdock. i use it in combination with rocketdock to make for a pretty sleek looking desktop with the minimal amount of icons.

The devs are good (gas powered games and stardock) so this may be a great game. It'll depend if people are willing to try it and get a decent community going.

Also the beta was for anyone who bought the game on its website automatically got in.

Not sure if thats still possible

[quote name='will52']Also the beta was for anyone who bought the game on its website automatically got in.

Not sure if thats still possible[/quote]

it's not. the beta went through 3 phases and the last chance to get in was before beta 3 was released (about a month or two ago). i think anyway. the beta will be closed and leaderboards/stats reset a week before the 4/14 release.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']the 4/14 release.[/QUOTE]

cannot wait! somebody freeze my body and thaw me on April 13...
srry to those who didn't pre-order in time. it's been one hell of a good experience, but i'm more excited to see the finished product in just under two weeks from now.

Anyone know of a good deal for this game? The cheapest I see it is on newegg/Amazon for 37+free shipping

[quote name='i4ybrid']Anyone know of a good deal for this game? The cheapest I see it is on newegg/Amazon for 37+free shipping[/quote]

that's probably the best you'll get for the first few months. considering most pc games are priced at $50 when they're released, $37 seems pretty good to me. and you can register a retail copy on the Impulse service.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Luckily I got a 20$ off credit from Newegg so if I see reviews I like, the game will be mine!

Any hope for a demo?[/QUOTE]

i was reading on stardock's forums and one of the moderators said something about demos that made me assume that a demo won't be released until after release.

they don't expect to sell a whole lot in the first couple of weeks and they're hoping that word of mouth gets other people interested. which by that time there will probably be a demo. i would guess in maybe a month or two.

What are the main differences between this and League of Legends? I've played DotA for a long time, but I've only been mainly paying attention to LoL as opposed to Demigod... Since LoL is still a ways off, maybe Demigod can hold out for now.

i cannot comment on league of legends as i haven't read much about it (i will now though). i can comment on some of the differences i noticed between DotA and Demigod though. Keep in mind that i've only played a few games in the beta, but i've been keeping up to date for the most part with Demigod. I've been playing dota off and on since 2005 though.

1) In dota there is "last hitting" where the last person to hit the creep/hero gets the kill/gold. In demigod, it's the person who does the most damage to that unit/demigod who gets the credit.
2) There are no recipes in Demigod. but there is an artifact shop you can buy really awesome stuff from if you control it.
3) The flags in the arena, if you control them, give different bonuses like more minions, a x% more experience, etc. while DotA just has random creeps scattered throughout that respawn you can kill from gold and XP, random power-ups in the river, and roshan (a big rock elemental) which gives a huge amount of xp and gold to the team who slays him.
4) DotA has WAY more heroes. Demigod only has 8. 4 assassins (which play like normal heroes) and 4 generals (which involves you micromanaging a squad of minions).
5) Demigod has more maps. DotA has the one (which is still damn fun to this day)
6) Demigod has a single player campaign-ish thing where stuff carries over (im still really unclear on this). It also has the option to include AI in a game. Dota just has the AI map.
7) Demigod has a persistent tournament. You fight for a side, forces of light or forces or dark. Each time a team wins a game (there may be more way to earn points), you get favor points which go toward that side. When a side reaches the pre-determined amount of favor points or if they have the most points when the tournament ends, they win the tournament and it just starts over again (not sure if the winning side gets anything, i wouldn't think so...). anyway, here is the link to view the status of the pantheon: http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/tournaments/
note: this will probably be reset soon. this is just from the beta.

that's all of the things i can think of off the top of my head. hope that shed some light on those who are curious what the differences are!

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Luckily I got a 20$ off credit from Newegg so if I see reviews I like, the game will be mine!

Any hope for a demo?[/QUOTE]

There will most likely be a demo, but it won't be until after Demigod has been released.

[quote name='TyHill']Just got the game today, Guess the Gamestop people put it out early.[/QUOTE]

Is anyone online yet? How's the game?

On the website it appears to be going live tomorrow at 1 pm (PST).
EDIT: checked today, updated my game and it is in fact LIVE. I was able to play a skirmish this morning on Mancala.

I've played two matches against the AI and love it. Can't wait to go online with it.

Trying to get used to the Rook. He sucks balls at the start but when you start upping his abilities to create towers, passive ranged attacks and that hammer AoE, he's great.

Any reviews for this game yet? It sounds interesting enough, and I like to support Stardock, but I've never played DoTA (although I've played plenty of WC3) so I wanted to get a general sense of how it works before I pick it up.

EDIT: Just found one at Cheat Code Central. 4.3 (out of 5). They knock it for lack of strong story/single player but they said the multiplayer will last a long time.

http://cheatcc.com/pc/rev/demigodreview.html

The one thing that has me hesitant to buy this game is are we going to get updates like new maps, maybe a character or two?

Also, how does the game look? I'm not looking for CryEngine but '09 games have a certain expectation to hold.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']The one thing that has me hesitant to buy this game is are we going to get updates like new maps, maybe a character or two?

Also, how does the game look? I'm not looking for CryEngine but '09 games have a certain expectation to hold.[/quote]

I would think that new content will be coming out. Look at the devs. Stardock (read up on Sins of a Solar Empire) and Gas Powered Games (which released Supreme Commander and an expansion) both have been great in the past.

Honestly, I've said it before, but this game is going to be heavily based on whether an online community develops or not. That will make it either great or dead in a month.

bread's done
Back