Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Woot. Mine is on the way. ... I usually shy away from sharing my PSN or Xbox Live account names, but I might need the help at some points in this game.

Anyway, first game in a long time where I'm actually interested in following a thread and reading the war stories of other gamers. It sounds like a lot of normalish Gamers picked this up. As opposed to the Ninja Gaiden Horde...

the curse of the holiday season, too many games in too short a period of time. =/ (Even with all the delays to Q1 2010)

[quote name='mykevermin']I did not realize the messages and bloodstains were the assistance and failures (respectively) of other players.

That's fuckin' fantastic. I did get pretty pissed when I died last night, though. The important thing is that today I'm thinking about how to play to avoid dying tonight. That's the sign of a good game. We'll see if I do give up after a few tries, though. I hope not.[/QUOTE]

I found the bloodstains and phantom players(showing other players going through the same level as you)to be one of the better ideas they implemented in this game besides the hint/message system.

Although, I wonder if the US version has alot of people posting 'this is harsh, evaluate me' like they did in the Asian version.:roll: Apparently, people considered that a good enough message to leave and expect to be rated.

BTW, how many of you went down past where the blacksmith is in the Nexus and read all of the hint messages on the floor? In the Asian version, there were literally like 100-150 messages just down the hall from where the blacksmith is. Some were good and very informative, while others were just more of the 'harsh, evaluate me' ones.

Hmm... any recommendations on how to kill the Red Dragon in 1-1 and 1-2 without using a bow? My Soul Arrow's range isn't far enough to hit it I think...

I've seen several "I'm in trouble, rate me!" messages but mostly in the immediate area of boss fights. Fortunately, the majority of the messages I've read have been relatively helpful. I'm shocked I haven't encountered many douchebag messages telling me to go jump down a cliff for treasure.

I encountered one funny message and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. Their was a bad guy who was standing over a dead body guy going crazy with the rag doll physics and it looked like he was tea bagging him and the message said "ed's grindstone". I don't know if it was pure coincidence or if whoever left it saw the same thing and thought that would be funny, I left a "nasty guy" message.

I dident relize when you leave Hints on the floor, and someone rates it, you are healed as a reward for helping lol, I had no idea of this when I played the import earlier in the year

Haha... I was reading a review and it made a good point. Lots of people won't be able to get really far (more than likely), so the messages and blood will start to be in short supply. Much more important for everyone to leave helpful info later in the game!

Dumb question... am I supposed to be stuck in soul form after the tutorial level? I just noticed I was still soul after going into 1-1.

Ugh, I'm stuck at the Spider boss in 2-1. How do I beat it with melee?

I know I run far back when he does that flamethrower breath.
But sometimes I get an opportunity to attack and sometimes I don't.

I don't have any arrows and I can't buy arrows because my souls are stuck on the boss area.

It's draining all my healing items too >_

[quote name='Saint Noir']Haha... I was reading a review and it made a good point. Lots of people won't be able to get really far (more than likely), so the messages and blood will start to be in short supply. Much more important for everyone to leave helpful info later in the game![/QUOTE]
I was going through level 2-2 and 2-3 last night and there was literally nothing anywhere. Am I just ahead of the curve or are people giving up that quickly? I suspect once I tackle 1-3 tonight, it will be empty as well.

[quote name='Count']Ugh, I'm stuck at the Spider boss in 2-1. How do I beat it with melee?

I don't have any arrows and I can't buy arrows because my souls are stuck on the boss area.

[quote name='Count']Ugh, I'm stuck at the Spider boss in 2-1. How do I beat it with melee?

for those of you who got deluxe (still waiting on amazon here), how is the strategy guide? is it a full-on guide, or is it short and not very helpful?

[quote name='Saint Noir']EDIT - Jodou, I am at 2-2. I may be through 1-3 by later today, but I do have some errands to run. Just depends on time... if you go in first (and we hit the same servers), tip away! I'll be sure to do the same.[/QUOTE]
Ha, I don't have the patience to keep leaving tips. I just like muscling my way through quickly and getting to the boss fight.

[quote name='erectiontown']for those of you who got deluxe (still waiting on amazon here), how is the strategy guide? is it a full-on guide, or is it short and not very helpful?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty nice. It has a lot of useful information and it is nice to have right there at your side. It gives you info on all the items, characters, etc. The guide part is pretty spot on too (I haven't really used this, but skimmed over one section to check it out). It feels fairly comprehensive, though there are plenty of questions you may have that aren't in there. Just the nature of this kind of game. It gives the locations of tons of stuff as well. It's a good sized guide.

[quote name='Saint Noir']It's pretty nice. It has a lot of useful information and it is nice to have right there at your side. It gives you info on all the items, characters, etc. The guide part is pretty spot on too (I haven't really used this, but skimmed over one section to check it out). It feels fairly comprehensive, though there are plenty of questions you may have that aren't in there. Just the nature of this kind of game. It gives the locations of tons of stuff as well. It's a good sized guide.[/QUOTE]
ok cool... that's what i wanted to hear. thanks for answering my question

i cant get enough of this game.

i have a question tho...

the first time through 1-1, there was the red dragon on the bridge.
anyways after beating the boss of the level, i went back into 1-1 to buy something from that merchant.
he was gone, and so were the dragons. it was kinda cool because i was able to get all the goodies the dragons were guarding.

now is this a glitch? from what i've been reading it seems like it.
has this happened to anyone else?

From my understanding....
the dragon guards those treasures in 1-1, but goes away if you kill it in 1-2. Now, when I went through 1-1 the dragon was not there, but I was too afraid to go past the charred bodies. I'll have to go check it out again when I get back to the nexus to see what is up. If I could of grabbed the treasure then and didn't, I'll be mad!

I had 35 minutes last night and got through the tutorial. I am going to see if I can sink some more time into it tonight..

it seems like you can just go back and revisit areas huh? Thats kind of cool I guess. I noticed people were on 2-1 but had not seem to beat say 1-3 yet...

I guess I will understand that when I get there!

[quote name='Saint Noir']From my understanding....
the dragon guards those treasures in 1-1, but goes away if you kill it in 1-2. Now, when I went through 1-1 the dragon was not there, but I was too afraid to go past the charred bodies. I'll have to go check it out again when I get back to the nexus to see what is up. If I could of grabbed the treasure then and didn't, I'll be mad!
[/QUOTE]
I never saw a dragon either on my play of 1-1. I saw the charred bodies. Saw bloodstains of dead players and was scared to go forward, but I inched anyway and got all the treasures. No dragon showed up so I was happy.

I started playing today (and skipped class to do it)! My only grip is that not once has an enemy dropped a MP recovery item.

[quote name='Saint Noir']From my understanding....
[/QUOTE]

From looking at the strategy guide,
it seems that is has to do with the world tendency thing, but I don't really understand what's going on with that.

i have no idea about world tendencies either.

im just starting to grasp multiplayer.

question about crystal geckos. do they run away for good if you dont kill them in a level, or will they come back?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='peloquin17']i cant get enough of this game.

i have a question tho...

anyways after beating the boss of the level, i went back into 1-1 to buy something from that merchant.
he was gone, and so were the dragons. it was kinda cool because i was able to get all the goodies the dragons were guarding.

has this happened to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

It's not a glitch, your World Tendency was pure white so the dragons were gone. Things change based on white/black Tendency.

ChibiJosh, the Royalty class starts with an MP regen ring. Otherwise you can
take the telescope you get after saving Ostrava in 1-1 and trade it to a crow at the top of 4-1. Put it on the ground, the crow will like it, quit out and jump back in and the ring will be there.

The world tendancy is also effected by all those on your server... so some thing happen only when its a white tendancy and others when its a dark...

As mentioned earlier in this thread its easier to go dark from a white tendancy, and harder to et back to white... so if you want to go through the game 2 times to see both sides its easier to stay white the first time through..
I am very limited with it as well, but I am guessing its kind of a luck of the draw thing since all those on your server are effecting your tendancy.

[quote name='rgd2blck']It's not a glitch, your World Tendency was pure white so the dragons were gone. Things change based on white/black Tendency.
[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to understand what turns a level's tendency to white or black.

I believe my Boleterian Palace is pure black and it opened up a part of 1-1 near the starting point of the level with a bunch of unknown soldier souls, a mini-boss chick with bad ass bondage armor, (for female characters only I think) and also some plate armor and shield.

I made a mistake of going in there with a bunch of items so I couldn't carry all the plate items with me. I went back to the nexus to make a deposit and came back but the items I left were all gone :cry:.

[quote name='peloquin17']i cant get enough of this game.

i have a question tho...

has this happened to anyone else?[/QUOTE]
The dragons despawn if your WT (World Tendancy) is pure white. I.e. you only did good deeds (killing demons).
There's also a very large sword you can only obtain called Keel Smasher after slaying the boss for 2-3 by being pure white.

[quote name='peloquin17']i have no idea about world tendencies either.

question about crystal geckos. do they run away for good if you dont kill them in a level, or will they come back?
[/QUOTE]

I think
gone for good, so you have to catch ones you missed the second time through (+ play). I did see one twice, but that was only one time. I hear you need a strong bow to be worth anything at getting them... also a thief ring would help you sneak up on them.

[quote name='peloquin17']i have no idea about world tendencies either.

[/QUOTE]
Geckos work like this: a new game will spawn each gecko with a counter set to 1. Every time one either escapes or is slain, that counter is reduced by 1. Every time a boss demon is slain, the counter increases by 1. The stage you're on will also determine the rarity of items they drop, so the higher the stage the better the loot.

[quote name='peloquin17']ok i read about them despawning, but i've only passes 1-1.

can your WT get to pure white from just 1 level?[/QUOTE]
Since you start as neutral and only gain white, from my understanding yes.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I think
gone for good, so you have to catch ones you missed the second time through (+ play). I did see one twice, but that was only one time. I hear you need a strong bow to be worth anything at getting them... also a thief ring would help you sneak up on them.
[/QUOTE]
You don't need a bow, but it helps. They also don't react to rolling, so it's another way to get close up. I find you can just run them down easily and slap them once to flip them over and just wail on them from there.

UGH.

Dragons were there this time for sure (1-1). That sucks. Wish I would have known. On the plus, my new equipment (mostly from 2-2) is so awesome, I mowed through the 1-1 guys without even blinking.

[quote name='rgd2blck']
ChibiJosh, the Royalty class starts with an MP regen ring. Otherwise you can
take the telescope you get after saving Ostrava in 1-1 and trade it to a crow at the top of 4-1. Put it on the ground, the crow will like it, quit out and jump back in and the ring will be there.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about the royalty class ring, I chose not to take it.

Since this crow is in 4-1, could I conceivably go to 4-1, get it and leave given that I haven't even beaten 1-1 yet?

No. I wouldn't even try it.
I'm not 100% on this crow location, but the guys in 4-1 will eat you alive if you havent even gotten past 1-1. You prolly need to level a bit first. I could be wrong...

The dragons are in my 1-1 and I have only killed demons.

Where do you see if you're white or black?

Also, sometimes I see white spirits of people running around. What are these? Just tutorial guides?

[quote name='Saint Noir']It's pretty nice. It has a lot of useful information and it is nice to have right there at your side. It gives you info on all the items, characters, etc. The guide part is pretty spot on too (I haven't really used this, but skimmed over one section to check it out). It feels fairly comprehensive, though there are plenty of questions you may have that aren't in there. Just the nature of this kind of game. It gives the locations of tons of stuff as well. It's a good sized guide.[/QUOTE]

OK, so I read through it after I played through 1-1 last night. I never saw this Ostravus dude or whatever he's called. Even though I've killed the 1-1 boss can I still go back and find him and save him? And where the hell is he? The guide is not at all clear on that since I've pretty much gone everywhere. I did stay away from what I guess was the dragon's roost because there was a warning saying to be soul level 30 first on the ground. I guess I shoudl have gone because apparently he might not have even been there. Dammit!

Also, I have a more immediate problem. After finishing 1-1 the candle maiden said I'm supposed to talk to the Elemental or something? I ran all over the Nexus - went upstairs, to the Pantheon, all over. I can't seem to find this person/thing at all and apparently I can't level up until I do so? I have 3000 souls saved that I don't want to lose by going back in somewhere. WTF!? Nothing at all about that in the guide either. It just says "talk to her" or something.

sean - I do know that the white sprites are other people playing the game currently! Kind of cool. I noticed that more often than not they take swipes at me as the run past ;).

Oh, and by the way, the boss in 1-1 was a piece of cake. I did die a few times on the way when I got the camera turned around and got cornered and couldn't get the soul arrow off. Maybe it was because I was the royalty class but I had no problems. And since you can go back to the Nexus at any time (assuming you can get back to a teleporter) with all your souls intact the game isn't NEARLY as hard as everyone made it out to be. And keep in mind I'm a crappy gamer especially with action/combo/fighting type games ;).

[quote name='io']OK, so I read through it after I played through 1-1 last night. I never saw this Ostravus dude or whatever he's called. Even though I've killed the 1-1 boss can I still go back and find him and save him? And where the hell is he? [/QUOTE]

Well, you remember
the area where those 4 or 5 boulders fall down after you (or before you if you attack the area before moving on)? After that there is an area where you go up some stairs, and there are two archer guys on two different levels. To the right of that area are some stairs going down. Follow that way to find him.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, you remember
the area where those 4 or 5 boulders fall down after you (or before you if you attack the area before moving on)? After that there is an area where you go up some stairs, and there are two archer guys on two different levels. To the right of that area are some stairs going down. Follow that way to find him.
[/QUOTE]

I was there and I killed 5 grunt type dudes on a lower level and there were some more guys further down below but I couldn't figure out how to get to them - there was a wall there (and you can't jump). Hmmm... I had an idea that might be it though. I'll check it out. Will he still be there if I go back?

[quote name='Saint Noir']Monumental is
a kid with a candle in 3rd or so floor of nexus... blends in, just look for candle.
[/QUOTE]

Monumental - I knew I had the name wrong. Well, of course I ran all through that area. I thought those were dead bodies or statues or something. When the candle maiden "showed" me where to go via panning up there I thought she was showing me the HUGE statue with the sword. So I was trying to figure out how to get there and talk to that :bomb:.

Also, it's pretty funny too see all the bloodstains in the Nexus. I have a question though. While many are from people jumping off the stairs and killing themselves, I do click on the occasional one where someone seems to be in combat right in the middle area there in from of the blacksmith, etc. What's going on with that? I thought the Nexus was a "safe" area?

sean - I basically just asked the same thing. Read Saint Noir's spoiler.

If you attack an NPC they will go buck wild on you... not recommended. You can win and I think it affects your tendency. But I wouldn't be messing with that just yet.

:oops: sorry I didnt read your whole post originally, IO

Ok, just a couple more questions. What is soul form exactly? I picked up a stone that resurrects you from soul form.

Also, how do you play with randoms?

Soul form is you dead and not at full capacity. Stones can resurrect your body, I believe (aint tried it), or you can be resurrected when you kill a demon (or kill players as black phantom).

To play with others... if you have the blue eye stone and are alive you can summon people to you with it. If you are in spirit form you can write on the ground with the stone and other players can summon you to them. I believe this is how it works.

If you don't have blue eye stone yet, you'll get it soonish.

EDIT - If you want someone to play with and see a blue message on the ground, just click it and hit summon.

[quote name='Saint Noir']If you attack an NPC they will go buck wild on you... not recommended. You can win and I think it affects your tendency. But I wouldn't be messing with that just yet.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that might explain the battle bloodstains in the Nexus then. They do seem to die rather rapidly. I also saw one on the approach to the hidden merchant in 1-1. I didn't know it was a merchant but I saw a replay of some dude biting it pretty quickly so I went in really cautiously and all I saw was this gollum-looking guy just squatting there and staring at me. Luckily I didn't attack ;).

Man, I know this is a good game because I played till really late last night and could barely get to sleep even though I stopped at 4am and had dreams about the game. I even got up early wanting to play more (though I can't till tonight). I'm really anxious to get back to that Ostravus guy and see if he's still there. Apparently if he dies it cuts off a major sidequest.

[quote name='io']
Also, it's pretty funny too see all the bloodstains in the Nexus. I have a question though. While many are from people jumping off the stairs and killing themselves, I do click on the occasional one where someone seems to be in combat right in the middle area there in from of the blacksmith, etc. What's going on with that? I thought the Nexus was a "safe" area?
[/QUOTE]

You'll see a lot of suicide bloodstains in the nexus since dying in the nexus doesn't change your world tendency. It's just an easy way to go back to soul form without accumulating black world tendency.

The Nexus is a safe area, the person picked a fight with an npc and lost. :)

[quote name='io'] I'm really anxious to get back to that Ostravus guy and see if he's still there. Apparently if he dies it cuts off a major sidequest.[/QUOTE]

He's
hiding up on a wall away from the enemies like a little girl, so he shouldn't have been killed.

[quote name='StillFree']You'll see a lot of suicide bloodstains in the nexus since dying in the nexus doesn't change your world tendency. It's just an easy way to go back to soul form without accumulating black world tendency.

The Nexus is a safe area, the person picked a fight with an npc and lost. :)[/QUOTE]

Premptive question(s). I don't have the game yet (waiting for it from Amazon) but I was wondering:
Is there an advantage to being in soul form? I know you tend to spend a lot of time in soul form, but I thought that you were weaker in soul form? Do you not lose your soles u are carying in soul form when you die in soul form? Also, don't you need to go back and retrieve your body to get your souls if you die, and if so, then what benefit would dying in the nexus, safe zone or not, have?

There are slight differences. You still lose souls when you die in soul form (but as always can regain them by making i to your bloodstain without dying). You do not effect world tendency when you die in soul form (but do if you really die). It also changes the multiplayer aspect a bit. You do have less health in soul form... lots of different things.

bread's done
Back