Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Count']Do you think this game would last as long as Oblivion?
On Oblivion, me and my brother reached around 200+ hours.

With different files.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion is more open-ended, Demon's Souls is more point A to point B. Unless you like the online aspect of it or want to rack up alot of new game+, I don't see a lot of people getting 200+ hrs out of it.

[quote name='StillFree']Oblivion is more open-ended, Demon's Souls is more point A to point B. Unless you like the online aspect of it or want to rack up alot of new game+, I don't see a lot of people getting 200+ hrs out of it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm interesting. So I'm guessing it's a linear game.
As for multiplayer, anyone know where I can read about every multiplayer features?

[quote name='Count']Hmm interesting. So I'm guessing it's a linear game.
[/QUOTE]

Character creation / development is pretty open, choosing what level to play is also. (after completing the training level and 1-1, 1-3 has a requirement to enter)

The main goal of every level is to find and kill the boss demon to advance, so in that aspect it is a linear game.

[quote name='Jodou']I plan to PK the shit out of everyone lol.[/QUOTE]

You'll get some kills but most of the time you're going to get smashed on by:

1. someone smarter and better equipped.
or
2. someone who just summoned 2 blue phantoms that juggle your ass to death with rage of the gods and firestorm.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='StillFree']You'll get some kills but most of the time you're going to get smashed on by:

1. someone smarter and better equipped.
or
2. someone who just summoned 2 blue phantoms that juggle your ass to death with rage of the gods and firestorm.[/QUOTE]
I thought this game was about skill. /sadface

[quote name='gunm']Amazon has my game in "shipping soon" status.[/QUOTE]

Not me... so you guys are jerks!

And to the PKer... I'm sure there is a lot of skill... but going in blind with half life automatically puts you at a disadvantage. If someone busts into my game I am summoning some help ASAP! :cool:

[quote name='Jodou']I thought this game was about skill. /sadface[/QUOTE]

Skill is still required to be a good pker, but the deck is certainly stacked against them. The pker has the advantage of being able to move freely through the level without monster aggro. On the other hand the pker starts at the beginning of the level, is announced when entering the victims game, and most likely will get triple teamed.

If you're still interested you can probably find pk character builds to help you plan weapon / armor usage and skill point distribution.

Nice.

StillFree,

Am I correct in my understanding is, ifyou do that and lose you actually lose skill point assignments or levels of some sort?

Did you find it overly annoying, or are you the type this game was menat for and are totally cool with the repetitive nature?

stillfree - any pointers for the rest of us? im optimistically hoping for a platinum. so since you have gotten yours, i would appreciate anything that you learned that would cut the learning curve and time costs down. and would you agree with using a female royal for the 1st game as others have suggested? thanks.

[quote name='Snake2715']Nice.

StillFree,

Am I correct in my understanding is, ifyou do that and lose you actually lose skill point assignments or levels of some sort?

Did you find it overly annoying, or are you the type this game was menat for and are totally cool with the repetitive nature?[/QUOTE]

From the Demon's Souls wiki:

"If the invading player fails to kill the host, because they somehow die by the environment of the stage (falling, rolling ball trap in 1-x, but not killed by the host or a blue phantom player) your Soul Level will decrease, deducting a level from your highest stat."

Some parts I did find annoying but the games bread and butter was the boss fights as all of those were fun and rewarding. The first play through will be the hardest and will require the most time. Even though the game is suppose to get harder with New Game+ most people wont notice the difference since you retain your level, equipment, and knowledge of what to do and where to go.

[quote name='enufs8d']stillfree - any pointers for the rest of us? im optimistically hoping for a platinum. so since you have gotten yours, i would appreciate anything that you learned that would cut the learning curve and time costs down. and would you agree with using a female royal for the 1st game as others have suggested? thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did go with the female royal at first, but in the end made sure it could use all the weapons efficiently.

1. Don't kill any npcs in the nexus unless you have to, if kill an npc they don't respawn until new game+.

2. Killing npcs lowers your character tendency towards black, there are two rings you have to get for a trophy that rely on your character tendency. Obtain the friend's ring (pure white tendency) first then get the foe's ring (pure black tendency) last. Its harder to raise character tendency from black to white than the other way around.

3. Be aware of crystal geckos and there locations, the crystals they drop are very important for obtaining certain weapon trophies. Geckos in levels 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, and 4-3 drop pure stones that are hard to come by so every kill counts.

4. save your ephemeral eye stones. You can use them to shift your world tendency to pure black by using one then dying. (should only take 7 stones to go from pure white to pure black) Going through the 5 worlds in both pure white / black offer different rewards which you need for completion trophies.

5. lol make sure you keep your shield up at all times because all the enemies are cheap bastards.
thats about it off the top of my head I can add more later. good luck to those getting the game soon. :applause:

StillFree (and others),

Thanks for coming by and giving us a little insight on the game.

Does any know if the cover art etc of the regular version the same as the CE of the game? I know the CE comes with a hard box and extras, but is the actual game and cover art the same?

[quote name='Snake2715']

Does any know if the cover art etc of the regular version the same as the CE of the game? I know the CE comes with a hard box and extras, but is the actual game and cover art the same?[/QUOTE]

It's the same.

Shipping Estimate: October 13th. Screw you Amazon, you never let me down in the past, why now?

I had my first invader in my game last night. When I heard the sounds of battle on a portion of the level I hadn't yet reached, I was understandably confused. Then I saw him/her in soul form kicking ass with the character you have to save on the first real level.

I was like 'oh shit', since I figured they were going to kill all the enemies and then come back for me. But luckily they just disappeared after helping annihilate most of the enemies for the level.

I managed to get to the point where I opened the gate to the first boss battle, which is towards the beginning of the first real level. However, I got my ass readily handed to me in the first attempt at slaying the boss(Phalanx).

This game is still brutal, but a hell of a rush once you figure out where you've gotta go.

BTW, if anyone gets stuck and didn't get the Deluxe Edition with the guide, the YouTube video strategies help immensely.

[quote name='Snake2715'] Does any know if the cover art etc of the regular version the same as the CE of the game? I know the CE comes with a hard box and extras, but is the actual game and cover art the same?[/QUOTE]
It's the same as the regular edition.

[quote name='vocab']Shipping Estimate: October 13th. Screw you Amazon, you never let me down in the past, why now?[/QUOTE]

Mine says the same and has yet to ship (or even say preparing). I am quite disappointed. If there isn't movement by tomorrow I'll be sadder still! :lol:

[quote name='Saint Noir']Mine says the same and has yet to ship (or even say preparing). I am quite disappointed. If there isn't movement by tomorrow I'll be sadder still! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Mine also said the estimate was the 13th, but it says the shipping estimate for all my upcoming preorders is a week after they come out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I had my first invader in my game last night. When I heard the sounds of battle on a portion of the level I hadn't yet reached, I was understandably confused. Then I saw him/her in soul form kicking ass with the character you have to save on the first real level.

I was like 'oh shit', since I figured they were going to kill all the enemies and then come back for me. But luckily they just disappeared after helping annihilate most of the enemies for the level.

I managed to get to the point where I opened the gate to the first boss battle, which is towards the beginning of the first real level. However, I got my ass readily handed to me in the first attempt at slaying the boss(Phalanx).

This game is still brutal, but a hell of a rush once you figure out where you've gotta go.

BTW, if anyone gets stuck and didn't get the Deluxe Edition with the guide, the YouTube video strategies help immensely.[/QUOTE]

lol I remember when I had an invader, easily killing the enemies, after he killed the enemies in the room I was in, he just stood atop the bridge and stared at me, I was scared shitless, ran like hell!!! then he just dissapeared, intimadation works for sure lol

@Still

If I want most out of my money. Which game do you think I should get.
Borderlands or Demons souls

Mine went from shipping estimate of the 13th to shipping earlier tonight. Hopefully it will arrive by Friday so I can play this weekend.

Man, this has to be the most unsure game purchase I've ever had. I'm torn in like three different directions; buy it because it's awesome, pass because it's insanely difficult, or but it because it's awesomely difficult. If GS has their B2G1 sale and I see this, I think I'll pick it up...

On a side note, is there any way to turn off the 'multiplayer' aspects I really don't like the idea of someone coming into my game and killing me. That would be a game breaker for me instantly.

Yes, you can play offline. Without online, you don't get the hints and don't have the option of having other players assist you. I hear PK doesn't happen as often as you might be thinking, and when it does, you're usually at the advantage.

[quote name='gunm']Yes, you can play offline. Without online, you don't get the hints and don't have the option of having other players assist you. I hear PK doesn't happen as often as you might be thinking, and when it does, you're usually at the advantage.[/QUOTE]

Well, as a failsafe, I put this on my Goozex list. 24th in line. This site is almost as bad as Woot sometimes...

[quote name='happy']Mine went from shipping estimate of the 13th to shipping earlier tonight. Hopefully it will arrive by Friday so I can play this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Lucky...mine still says shipping estimate for 13th. Just wondering...did you opt in for free shipping?

Mine is FSSS and still in "shipping soon" status. Hopefully it goes out tomorrow, otherwise, I'm thinking I might not get it until next week.

mine is out for delivery at 30 miles away. too bad ups doesn't deliver in the middle of the night/morning.

for those with the 13th ship date, are you guys on fss? i recommend prime if you're planning on buying a lot in the next months, just because amazon upgrades prime to release date for some games. i noticed that the list of release date games keeps getting larger to include others beyond super blockbusters.

Meh. Honestly, I don't mind waiting. If I wanted to pay to get it earlier, I would have preordered it at the local Gamestop. ... Where they probably would have 'misplaced' my preorder bonuses.

I think it's funny that mine was already delivered but it's a workday, so it will have to wait. Any other time I'm waiting at home it wouldn't arrive until afternoon. Such is life.

I was going to wait in line at Goozex for a copy but for some reason I want this game badly so I just ordered a copy. I think this is the first time I've purchased a game near its release date since Left 4 Dead and Metal Gear Solid 4. I can't believe I've done this.

Went to the local Gamestop and all they had were pre-orders. Took calling 5 other stores in the area before I found one that had a single non-reserved copy left over and they held it for me. A few of the GS around here only got 3 copies of the game in.

The first store I went to got in 7 copies and had 4 on pre-order reserve. When I asked to purchase one of the extra copies the only clerk in the store said "Sorry, those are for me and my two friends."

Won't get to play until later tonight though. Cant wait to run around and die :hot:

[quote name='AdvOfJet']The first store I went to got in 7 copies and had 4 on pre-order reserve. When I asked to purchase one of the extra copies the only clerk in the store said "Sorry, those are for me and my two friends."[/QUOTE]

Now thats good customer service. :lol:

I only just started giving this game an honest look, and it looks mind-blowing. The anonymous co-op implementation looks absolutely ground-breaking. This might be the game that forces me to pull the trigger on a PS3.

[quote name='ProggleRock']I only just started giving this game an honest look, and it looks mind-blowing. The anonymous co-op implementation looks absolutely ground-breaking. This might be the game that forces me to pull the trigger on a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the TRU.com deal is still alive but you can get a Slim for something like $230.

although my shipping estimate at amazon was for 10/13 (with free shipping), it was sent out late last night!

[quote name='AdvOfJet']
The first store I went to got in 7 copies and had 4 on pre-order reserve. When I asked to purchase one of the extra copies the only clerk in the store said "Sorry, those are for me and my two friends."[/QUOTE]

fucked up! i would have called the DM on him. I thought you couldn't buy stuff on your working hours. Or better yet, you should have given him the usual GS crap they give us...

(roles reversed)
customer: did you preorder demon's souls le?
gamestop employee: no
customer: well, im sorry we dont have any for you. and you shouldn't be allowed to buy any extras nonpreordered that come in.
gamestop employee: buy why? because you're a douchebag.

[quote name='Snake2715']with you guys that did fsss at amazon... when did you order?[/QUOTE]

I ordered on the 23rd of September. Fairly late, but still... order hasn't even moved into shipping soon yet.

I would definitely call the DM on that Gamestop store. That's garbage and Gamestop employees do it all the time.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/demons-souls-now-available-for-ps3/
This has some starting tips! Now if only I could start... :lol:

Im liking this game alot lol, Ive been playing pretty much since Ups dropped it off this morning. It is hard at times but its also fun, I think if you get frustrated with it you die more just trying to charge in and fight things to get back to where you were lol at least I did that for awhile before I learnt better.

bread's done
Back