Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='orbit18']Is there a specific way of having your friends come into your games? Other than just putting down a blue stone and hoping for the best?[/QUOTE]

Organize it in PSN chat. Its your best hope.

Finally started today. Began as a soldier and ended up starting over as a Royal which made 1-1 much easier. I am trying not to read to many FAQs, but am loving it so far. Is there any strategy as to which worlds you cover in what order? Did most of you finish off a world at a time or did you do the first boss from each world, then the second, etc.?

My first character, I went the basic route of worlds 1-5 in order. My characters following that, I go to the world that best benefits their class. ex) After finishing 1-1 with my temple Knight, I go straight to world 5 to finish everything.

Without spoiling much ...

I'm on my second character playthrough and I jump around quite a bit after 1.1 ... generally clearing the first stage of each level. Some people like to clear both 1.1 and 1.2 first.

If you can handle the skeletons in 4.1 shrine of storms, it's a fun level with a few big demons to battle. If you don't summon, bring a shield.

If you like using magic with the royal, summon a soldier-type to help you on the level with the skeletons. Fun enemies, lots of souls, and good equipment in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
beat the game with my level 11 today. feels good. afterward I went ahead and raised her to 34 (to meet Blueblood reqs and get a second spell slot for Light Weapon)... currently rocking:

Left Hand: 1 Adjucator, 2 Talisman of Beasts
Right Hand: 1 Blueblood, 2 Scraping Spear

With Light Weapon and God's Wrath. Circlet + Black chest, no legs or gloves (form over function). I'm liking it, Blueblood with Light Weapon does 430, about 300 of that is all magic dmg. I usually go two-handed because Adjucator sucks at blocking, but I'm finding battles end far too quick to make use of the regen. I'm considering going up to 38 so I can meet the requirements for Purple Flame Shield, as fire's currently my only weakness (no vit, so some Dragon +5s can two-hit me), and as mentioned the Adjucator isn't as useful as it was when I was 11 doing Baby's Nail + Crescent Falchion.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Finally started today. Began as a soldier and ended up starting over as a Royal which made 1-1 much easier. I am trying not to read to many FAQs, but am loving it so far. Is there any strategy as to which worlds you cover in what order? Did most of you finish off a world at a time or did you do the first boss from each world, then the second, etc.?[/QUOTE]

"The game won't give you a helpful hand telling you what to do next, so how the story progresses and style of play will depend on the player." - Developer interview

The open world is a (great) part of the intended design of the game. All levels are possible from any point in the game -- it's up to the player to decide on how they will make the journey. Try whatever level sounds interesting to you, and if you dislike it, try another. Experiment. Sure, having someone tell you an easy order to go in might save you some time, but it'd rob you of one of the greatest aspects of the game. Just play. Trust me -- just play. There are no wrong choices.

I can't beat the Maneater, I think its impossible for me lol. I went to 5-1 or 6-1 not sure which it was. Its the one where the big grey boss from the tutorial was on there. I beat him pretty easily. But i ran into some guy with dual swords and red eyes and got my ass handed, and theres a flying sting ray thats shooting spikes at me lol. I hate the bosses!

For the dual-katana black skeletons: try tossing Soul Remains near them to distract them, and you should be able to grab the item(s) they guard without having to kill them. They guard good stuff.

Got my replacement guide yesterday, and it reminded me that I haven't played in a couple weeks. I really love this game, so I should try to finish it despite my enormous backlog of games.

Ah nice, I got mine yesterday as well. I never really read it though, I was afraid of bending the pages or something. lol

Easiest way to kill the dual katana black skellie in 4-1 (by adj shield) is to just climb the ladder and attack from above, IMO. Drop soul remains to draw him out, if necessary.

If you have flame thrower (flame toss?) the dual-katana black skeletons are weak to it and it makes killing them really easy. Either 2 shots or maybe 3, depending on your magic level.

Hell even with soul arrow you can keep blasting him while backing up a little. He will die before reaching you, just watch out for his jumping lunge attack as it may reach and 1 shot you.

This game is so addictingly stressful. I was going through 3-1 at a low soul level...around 7, I was trying to get the
Siler Bracelet
early in the game. Those Mind Flayer things could kill me with one soul arrow, I was tiptoeing around every corner trying to stay alive. So satisfying when you sneak up on one perfectly and just barely escape!

I'm dying constantly, but I know it is always my fault so it keeps me coming back for more.

I had a great surprise when invading. When I spawned in the Vanguard area of 4-1, I noticed to my left that another player invaded with me. Luckily, the host wasn't two far because the Vanguard was swinging his Dozer, as we approached him--two blues were near him. It was a thrilling battle, not in the sense it was close or anything, but just 2 BPs vs 2 Blues and the host. We killed the two blues in 1-2 hits (both of us used Cursed weapon), and the host got afraid. He started running away, but I guess he forgot about the Vanguard. He got smacked down by the Dozer and I was just laughing at the whole ordeal. I hope the next DS allows two BPs to invade assuming the host has a blue or two--its just more fun.

Got my replacement guide late last week.....and the black skeles were still 1 hitting me at the end of NG....I'm sure they can again in my NG+ and I'm at SL 98.

Black world tendency tomorrow right? I'm eager to get a few colorless souls. My strength character's new dragon bone smasher has a powerful thirst for upgradeable souls.

I have a gameplay question: those souls that you find on bodies...hero's souls and soldier's souls...is there any reason to keep them or should I just use them for the souls and leveling up?

my only complaint about this game so far is that i can only equip 2 rings. Don't we have 10 fingers?

also finally got my strength to 22 so i can equip my purple flame shield. I feel like a badass now running around with my demonbrandt and that.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I have a gameplay question: those souls that you find on bodies...hero's souls and soldier's souls...is there any reason to keep them or should I just use them for the souls and leveling up?[/QUOTE]

Nope, they're only good for adding to your current souls. Since you don't lose them when you die (unlike your current soul cache), wait until you almost have enough souls to level up and then use the souls from your inventory to give you enough to level up.

[quote name='mang9432']my only complaint about this game so far is that i can only equip 2 rings. Don't we have 10 fingers?
[/QUOTE]
Its called "game balance."

What's teh deal with pure black world tendency? No matter how many times i log out and log back in, my worlds aren't pure black. Did I miss it already?

I had a few questions about my Barbarian character. I think I'm soul level 31, and I was wondering can Barbs use magic as well as melee, or is there no point if you are putting your points into str? The only thing I use, is heavy armor and a bastard sword which i just keep upgrade (its at +3 right now) I'm trying to beat the man eater but I just keep dying in no time, and its starting to get annoying. Also does anyone know a place to farm so I can get a bunch of healing material?

[quote name='Supplice']No, it just started yesterday. I really can't comment as to how your world's aren't pure black yet, that is just odd.[/QUOTE]

I logged in yesterday, it was neutral for me. Just logged in again, still neutral.

My guess...

Sun & Monday, PWWT
Tues, Wed & Thurs, Neutral
Fri & Saturday, PBWT

They said they were going to start the week with PWWT and end the week with PBWT, they didn't say how the week itself was going to go.

[quote name='orbit18']I had a few questions about my Barbarian character. I think I'm soul level 31, and I was wondering can Barbs use magic as well as melee, or is there no point if you are putting your points into str? The only thing I use, is heavy armor and a bastard sword which i just keep upgrade (its at +3 right now) I'm trying to beat the man eater but I just keep dying in no time, and its starting to get annoying. Also does anyone know a place to farm so I can get a bunch of healing material?[/QUOTE]

I think, for a "role" the Barb wouldn't use armor. He'd rely on keeping himself light and using rolls to get around his enemies. Run in, smack (twice if possible), roll to avoid getting hit. When you're light on your feet, you can easily outrun the Maneater(s).

I just beat the Maneater earlier. I used a Royale a SL 90 (36 to Magic). I rely a lot on magic, but if you get the poison cloud spell (and cloak+thief's ring), it's somewhat easy. You let poison cloud do all the work. Poison Cloud ALWAYS does 905 points of damage over 3 mins (5 pts per second, starting at 0 secs). The only reason my SL is so high, is because I'm done with the rest of the game (on NG)... only have one PBWT event (PB Selena) and Old Monk to beat, before taking on the last and final boss in world 1.

EVERY role can use magic... the starting points are only that, a start. From there you can adjust it how you want (with planning).

As for where to farm... I have no idea, I just collect and stash all the items, I relied a lot on the Adjucator Shield. But I did use some items here and there when I felt REALLY threatened, like being poisoned in 5-2! Heck, I hated buying/carrying arrows, so that's why I rely on magic (and Fragrant Ring).

I was able to get mine to PB Tuesday night just by logging in and out while in the Nexus 3 times. Remember your WT doesn't set itself until you visit the Nexus.

I was in the nexus and logged out at least 6 times. They definitely weren't white, but they definitely were not pure black. I'll give it a shot tonight and hopefully have better luck.

[quote name='orbit18']I had a few questions about my Barbarian character. I think I'm soul level 31, and I was wondering can Barbs use magic as well as melee, or is there no point if you are putting your points into str? The only thing I use, is heavy armor and a bastard sword which i just keep upgrade (its at +3 right now) I'm trying to beat the man eater but I just keep dying in no time, and its starting to get annoying. Also does anyone know a place to farm so I can get a bunch of healing material?[/QUOTE]

there's no reason to avoid spells, just don't put any more than the bare mininum stats into it (i.e. if you want a 2-slot spell, don't put any additional points into will -- and don't up magic or faith beyond your equipment requirements).

the fastest way to get curatives, unless you only want big curatives (full moon, old spice) is to farm world 4 for souls and just buy them. crescent moons and fresh spice are both dirt cheap from most vendors. nexus blacksmith (boldwin) sells crescents for 150 i think -- a one-minute run on 4-2's reaper will get you 7k, so you'd be able to buy about 50 crescents per minute. i believe fresh spice is also 150 from boldwin.

but i think your biggest problem is your weapon. try other levels, come back to maneater later when you're swinging something bigger. or farm for ore to upgrade more (if your strength is low, consider Dragon upgrade from your +3, or Crushing if your strength is high... but it'd also probably be better not to waste the ore on the bastard sword, there are better weapons to up, wouldn't wanna waste all your ore on something you'll toss down the road).

Boldwin sells fresh spice for 350. Once Royal Mistress in 3-1 sells fresh spice for 200. I used to make lots of runs into 3-1 just for fresh spice for my mage until eventually I leveled up enough to where I just always had tons of souls but nowhere near enough for my next level. Then I just started buying from Boldwin to save time even though he charges a lot more.

He sells spice for 800. Btw, I noticed after defeating False King--his price on Emph stones decrease to 3000 from 50K. Either that or he knew I had 89 of them.

[quote name='Koggit']there's no reason to avoid spells, just don't put any more than the bare mininum stats into it (i.e. if you want a 2-slot spell, don't put any additional points into will -- and don't up magic or faith beyond your equipment requirements).

the fastest way to get curatives, unless you only want big curatives (full moon, old spice) is to farm world 4 for souls and just buy them. crescent moons and fresh spice are both dirt cheap from most vendors. nexus blacksmith (boldwin) sells crescents for 150 i think -- a one-minute run on 4-2's reaper will get you 7k, so you'd be able to buy about 50 crescents per minute. i believe fresh spice is also 150 from boldwin.

but i think your biggest problem is your weapon. try other levels, come back to maneater later when you're swinging something bigger. or farm for ore to upgrade more (if your strength is low, consider Dragon upgrade from your +3, or Crushing if your strength is high... but it'd also probably be better not to waste the ore on the bastard sword, there are better weapons to up, wouldn't wanna waste all your ore on something you'll toss down the road).[/QUOTE]

for melee builds, you only want enough magic to be able to cast the enchantment that you prefer, cursed or blessed, with the latter being better for a faith build. There is the occasional second chance throw in there for good measure, but anymore spent than that is really a waste. Magic builds tend to be better in PvE as opposed to PvP

it's not that cut & dry. consider two identical light weapon cleaver builds: only difference is one has 10 more str (adding ~30 extra damage) and the other has 10 more will (adding 2 spell slots)... can you really say one is better than the other? it's all preference... with high strength you're gonna be one-hitting phantoms and two-hitting hosts anyway, 30 dmg isn't gonna make or break anything

edit-- and re:light being better for faith i disagree but that too is opinion, personally i think light weapon's better for all builds. for cleaver builds, light weapon and cursed weapon will add similar net damage to your attacks (of course it'll depend whether the player's defenses lean physical or magic, but on average, about the same) but cursed weapon takes an extra slot and reveals your location from anywhere (making 1v3 invasions damn near impossible because you can't pick them off at corners). i'd always choose light weapon over cursed, unless it's for an NPC that you know how high magic defense. though i've heard of DBS users preferring cursed I haven't played with DBS much so i can't really comment there, since DBS lacks magic damage i'd expect light weapon to be less effective on it than a cleaver.. but then again, why choose DBS over cleaver in the first place.

Keeping your magic at 10 - use Curse
Raising your magic above 10 - use Light.
Don't like either? - use Sticky White (lol)
>=P

[quote name='bigl523']I was in the nexus and logged out at least 6 times. They definitely weren't white, but they definitely were not pure black. I'll give it a shot tonight and hopefully have better luck.[/QUOTE]

I'm also having this problem. My world tendency gets darker when I log in and out (except for one time when it reset to neutral). It gets dark enough that I've been able to find some of the Primeval Demons, but it never gets to pure black - the named BPs never show up. Between two separate play sessions I logged in and out at least a dozen times, which is boring, but it will not go pure black. If this were a more widespread problem I would guess that the algorithm to determine world tendency is beyond complicated, and so many people repeatedly logging in and going from pure white to pure black in such a short time span is causing unforeseen consequences. As it is not I have to think my save file is haunted.

[quote name='Koggit']it's not that cut & dry. consider two identical light weapon cleaver builds: only difference is one has 10 more str (adding ~30 extra damage) and the other has 10 more will (adding 2 spell slots)... can you really say one is better than the other? it's all preference... with high strength you're gonna be one-hitting phantoms and two-hitting hosts anyway, 30 dmg isn't gonna make or break anything

edit-- and re:light being better for faith i disagree but that too is opinion, personally i think light weapon's better for all builds. for cleaver builds, light weapon and cursed weapon will add similar net damage to your attacks (of course it'll depend whether the player's defenses lean physical or magic, but on average, about the same) but cursed weapon takes an extra slot and reveals your location from anywhere (making 1v3 invasions damn near impossible because you can't pick them off at corners). i'd always choose light weapon over cursed, unless it's for an NPC that you know how high magic defense. though i've heard of DBS users preferring cursed I haven't played with DBS much so i can't really comment there, since DBS lacks magic damage i'd expect light weapon to be less effective on it than a cleaver.. but then again, why choose DBS over cleaver in the first place.[/QUOTE]

After making a clever build, then making my next character strictly for DBS use, I believe the DBS damage is significantly better. Its a much harder weapon to wield correctly, but if you don't believe me, the last few online tournaments on Atlus' main site, the winners were all using DBS.

It's a lot easier to one hit someone than two hit, which i've learned using both weapons religiously on two separate characters.

As far as the light vs. curse debate, the curse damage is but and dry based on the weapons attack. Light is a good spell as well, but it requires you to build stats that may or may not interest you.

Yeah, those "online tournaments" are a joke, even those community ones, considering every build would easily fall to a decent mage using firestorm. Don't go say, "AMF will save me", because its rare to encounter someone using that. o_O Anyway, I've seen more meat clever builds used more correctly than DBS, so I figured meat cleavers are just better in general. DBS people use curse a lot from what I've seen.

So. fucking. Frustrating. I was in regular form for a minute, someone invaded my game and broke a piece of equipment every time they hit me. Now I have no souls to repair anything and all my shit is broke so I have no real way of getting souls. Any advice? It's stuff like this that just makes me want to give up.

Use magic, a bow, or equip a different melee weapon and spend a minute or two in your level of choice (I like Shrine of Storms), you should be able to get enough to repair your primary weapon without too much effort, even if you're stuck using a dagger or something. Magic is probably the easiest route, if it's an option for you.

That's brutal. It's the double fucking whammy of getting invaded and all your equipment gets broken as well. I think it happened to me 3 times in one day early in the game ... invaders had a scraping spear or something. I don't have any good advice, but I feel your pain.

If you feel like getting your human form back and some souls, put down a blue stone at the start of one of your favorite levels (4.1 or 4.2 or 1.3 for me) and play as a summon. Then you can help kill invaders without feeling like you are being abused and pick up souls. My magician fit well as a summon because I could support a melee character during invasions without facing the brunt of the physical attacks.

I have to admit that early on I stayed in soul form a lot, but that takes away from the experience because you can't summon. Now that I've played the game for many hours, I enjoy invasions more ... especially if I have a summon helper which I usually do because it's just more fun for me than going alone.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So. fucking. Frustrating. I was in regular form for a minute, someone invaded my game and broke a piece of equipment every time they hit me. Now I have no souls to repair anything and all my shit is broke so I have no real way of getting souls. Any advice? It's stuff like this that just makes me want to give up.[/QUOTE]

Check your inventory for some soldier or hero souls and consume them.

[quote name='Koggit']Use magic, a bow, or equip a different melee weapon and spend a minute or two in your level of choice (I like Shrine of Storms), you should be able to get enough to repair your primary weapon without too much effort, even if you're stuck using a dagger or something. Magic is probably the easiest route, if it's an option for you.[/QUOTE]

My goddamn wand was broken too! I ended up just taking out some weapons that I was storing and using those for a bit, but my silver bracelets were around 3500 souls to repair. That hurt when I'm only soul level 20. I had no souls in my inventory either, I had just leveled up and used them all.

The reason it is so frustrating is that even though the game is hard as hell, you know that every time you died it is because you fucked up. When some high level person invades your game and breaks everything you have for a few souls, it just seems unfair in comparisson.

On another topic, is there any good place to really farm souls? As I'm going through and beating the demons, I am probably only getting about 10k souls per section. Should I be grinding?

if you're level 20 then anyone invading you is 32 or lower, so don't feel too bad about it. anytime you're invaded, victory is always a possibility.

When you are on your first playthrough, I think it has more to do with getting invaded by people who know what they are doing on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th character ... especially in terms of equipment, character builds. Even at lower levels, invaders can bring some serious mojo.

At the higher levels, some guys are ridiculously good (and I'm not). Some dude invaded today and I had 2 summons that he absolutely slaughtered. It was hilarious in a way watching him in action. If I had inferno (firestorm?), I think I could have killed him but my magic just didn't quite have the power to sustain the damage to beat him.

My world never turned pure black this week despite logging in/out at least 10 times and going back to the Nexus. I finally tried the get killed in body form thing. Turns out, each of my worlds were just 1 away from pure black. Did anyone else experience the same thing? Overall,I'm pretty pleased about getting all of the pure white items and most of the pure black though.

bread's done
Back