Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

My PvP knight (still 11) is getting close to beating the game, somewhat unintentionally (not trying to quest, but I keep wanting things that require beating bosses) -- Maneater is my last big obstacle... without magic and at level 11, he is wicked tough, I haven't gotten anywhere close to beating him yet.

On my other char I was magic-heavy, so he was a snap with Firestorm, but without magic it's just crazy.

[quote name='orbit18']Getting closer to beating 3-2. Just did all the chains and killed that guy who I let out of the cage. Though I heard a tip, you were supposed to kill him to get armor, but i accidently shoved him off. I died later on and had to run back and his armor pieces were sitting in front of the cage. Does anyone know a way to have a bunch of health pieces cause I always run out.[/QUOTE]

1-4 is the best for big herbs (new moon, full moon, late moon) -- on my first playthrough I actually ended up with 198 Full Moon (99 with Thomas, 99 on me) without even trying to farm them, just from replaying the level to get to the boss after dying. You get 10 - 20 per run, takes a couple minutes tops.

But I don't think you've made it to 1-4 yet, so I think your best (fastest) bet will be to soul farm and buy them from a merchant. Boldwin (Nexus blacksmith) sells Crescents for 150 each. If you're just doing PvM (player vs monster) then Crescent Moons should be fine -- they offer the best price/health ratio. Killing the 4-2 reaper, you can get 15k in three minutes, which is enough for 100 Crescents from Boldwin.

If you're not to 4-2 yet... well, put 3-2 on hold and get there ASAP. 4-1 is a pretty easy level and has a lot of great items (Crescent Falchion, Adjucator's Shield, Regenerator's Ring) so it's worth playing through, especially since 4-2 is great for soul farming.

[quote name='orbit18']edit: BTW does anyone know where the key is in world 3-2 that unlocks the guy who cries like a baby in 3-1?[/QUOTE]

If you have pure white tendency (for that level) then it will be very close to where you broke one of the chains (they had a group of those slave guys chanting around it, and behind them some stairs spiraled up, the path is a dead end if you're not pure white and otherwise leads to the key). But if you don't have PWWT don't sweat it, that's one of the least valuable PWWT events.

I'd been putting off picking this up, but I stumbled on a mint & complete Deluxe Edition for $65 the other day. Now all I have to do is wrap up Assassin's Creed 2, and I can get lost in this for way too long. Ha.

Excited to finally play it.

[quote name='orbit18']But the trick is they are slow. I just sprinted around them in circles till they got confused and did the sword in the back trick. It's only hard when they are in a oneway path. The arrow death machine was pretty cool.

edit: BTW does anyone know where the key is in world 3-2 that unlocks the guy who cries like a baby in 3-1?[/QUOTE]

On the way up to the 3-2 boss, you'll face one on a set of long spiral stairs above the ground (one-way only too). Its really easy for players to fall off to death there.

As for the World 3-2 key---get Pure White World Tendency. Then go the first tower where the trolls are worshiping the first chain. You should see stairs spiraling upwards where a plank will allow you to cross to the other side. Then just continue up that set of spiraling stairs to the top.

[quote name='seanr1221']

Will I ever find better armor than my Fluted?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you mean by "better," but I think you mean stat wise. You will find the Miridian Armor to buy at 5-2 for a total of 50K souls. If you still want better armor than that then defeat Garl Vinland at 5-3. His Dark Silver armor is great if you don't mind not rolling. There is also the Brushwood armor if you don't mind being a tank, assuming you have PWWT. Can be found following the path to the left of the gate in world 1-1.

[quote name='Supplice']

Depends on what you mean by "better," but I think you mean stat wise. You will find the Miridian Armor to buy at 5-2 for a total of 50K souls. If you still want better armor than that then defeat Garl Vinland at 5-3. His Dark Silver armor is great if you don't mind not rolling. There is also the Brushwood armor if you don't mind being a tank, assuming you have PWWT. Can be found following the path to the left of the gate in world 1-1.[/QUOTE]

Or by killing Biorr

Forgot how much fun NG+ was....especially after getting 1-hit by the Phantom in 3-1 was.....was expecting to get hit...probably should've cast warding before jumping off in front of it.

[quote name='K3NNY']Can black phantoms invade you after you killed an Archstone's Demon Lords?[/QUOTE]
No, a demon must be present in the level you're on to be invaded. Likewise for summoning other players.

Is the 3-2 boss hard? I haven't really been able to play it lately, but stopped right before that part. Also, do I have to beat 3-3 in order to open up 1-3? And one more thing, how do you get yourself to white tendency without waiting for a world event?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='orbit18']Is the 3-2 boss hard? I haven't really been able to play it lately, but stopped right before that part. Also, do I have to beat 3-3 in order to open up 1-3? And one more thing, how do you get yourself to white tendency without waiting for a world event?[/QUOTE]

Most people say 3-2's boss is one of the absolute toughest.

You have to completely beat a level (3-3 would work) to open up 1-3.

White world tendency? It is raised when you kill demons or kill invading black phantoms there. You could also go pure black and then kill the special black phantom and the primeval demon on the level. Those two acts get you really close, finishing a boss demon would put it over the top. Just make sure not to die in body form.

Stay offline if messing around with tendency. Online will get you close so you could do that, jump offline and start killing bosses in the world. Also, play in soul form so you dont have to worry about dying.

Just started WKC but I keep think about playing NG+, lol

Game is awesome

orbit18 said:
Is the 3-2 boss hard? I haven't really been able to play it lately, but stopped right before that part.
Saint Noir said:
Most people say 3-2's boss is one of the absolute toughest.
I would say its one of the most annoying bosses in the game. You face two Man Eaters, but one at a time initially. After a certain time has passed, the second Maneater comes in and joins with the first one. While you deal with the first one, try to damage it as fast as possible. It has an annoying tendency to just fly around until backup arrives. >_>

I hated the maneater boss fight. I kept getting knocked off the fucking edge of the bridge. In comparison, it made the 4.2/4.3 seem pretty tame for a range attack magic user.

It seems like heavy magic users must have a big advantage in PvP. Each time I've been invaded I just spam them with fireball or soul ray while they are jogging toward me... but I've only had a handful of invaders at my level.

I'll probably get slaughtered (bosses and pvp) once I switch to a melee character for my next playthrough, which is worrisome.

most magic users get owned in pvp unless they get lucky with the homing missle spell, or catch you off guard with firestorm.

you wouldn't believe how many times ive rolled dodged at a magic user as they were casting, dodged their spell, then killed em with a DBS or a meatcleaver

I have beaten every major demon but the Old One (preparing for NG),and I got invaded by a black phantom in 4-2!?! I thought that wasn't possible? I killed the invader though with the Large Sword of Searching!

So I got this game from Goozex the other day and I'm thinking of starting tomorrow (stuck inside due to snow) but this thread is making me nervous! I am not a stranger to rogue-likes, but this thread reads like another language. Are there any real beginner tips that could cut down on my initial frustration?

So I just beat the boss of 2-1. I was actually invaded, but I guess going through a Fog door kicks them out. That boss was a little annoying, though.

I wish I could figure out a way to get a pure White Tendency for a couple of worlds. I don't think how the whole tendency thing is setup is very good or at least my understanding of it is very much lackluster. Because from what I've done I think I should have PWWT in 2 worlds.

Typically should get PWWT after defeating the first and second bosses of their respective worlds if you do not die in body form. You can die all you want in soul form though assuming you suicided in the nexus. This does not involve killing primeval demons, named Black phantoms NPCs, or mini-bosses (1-2 Red Dragon, 1-4 Blue Dragon, or 4-1 Vanguard).

You can assure PWWT if you defeat one primeval demon, one mini boss or one named Black Phantom NPC, then defeating the boss without returning to the nexus. Plus, try to play offline because your world's world tendency will reset to the server's average tendency whether or not you exit in the nexus or in another world.

killing a boss = +2 PWWT
killing a black phantom/invader = +1 PWWT
killing a primeval demon = +1
dying in the world in body form = -1
killing good (non black NPC) = -2

Really if they made a sequel with new content/levels but the same basic engine with minor improvements, it would be fantastic. Which I guess it would be if coming later this year. Hope it's true but not going to get my hopes up.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']killing a boss = +2 PWWT
killing a black phantom/invader = +1 PWWT
killing a primeval demon = +1
dying in the world in body form = -1
killing good (non black NPC) = -2[/QUOTE]

I have to think it's this whole me playing online that's screwing with everything because it doesn't seem like anything's affecting it.

[quote name='KingBroly']I have to think it's this whole me playing online that's screwing with everything.[/QUOTE]

Online wise the game is glitched and can reset your tendency or it can fluctuate. As mentioned, best to go offline if you are shooting for a specific tendency.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Online wise the game is glitched and can reset your tendency or it can fluctuate. As mentioned, best to do ff line if you are shooting for a specific tendency.[/QUOTE]

So...I'm basically screwed for PWWT on Shrine of Storms now? great... :bomb:

[quote name='KingBroly']So...I'm basically screwed for PWWT on Shrine of Storms now? great... :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. It is possible. But you can always kill BPs. One level of mine just raised itself to white all on its own well after I had beaten it and I thought I was screwed.

FROM made Armored Core 4 and 4 Answer. you can really tell especially after playing Demon's Souls.

As far as I'm concerned, they sh!t gold, so I'll buy whatever they make

Apart from PWWT, as long as you leave at least one boss in a level you can be invaded in, you're never screwed. If you didn't, then yes, you'd have to wait for NG+

[quote name='KingBroly']When does that PBWT event happen anyway?[/QUOTE]

The vote one will take place this weekend. If you haven't gone pure black yet and killed the special stuff there, you still have a shot.

[quote name='porieux']Really if they made a sequel with new content/levels but the same basic engine with minor improvements, it would be fantastic. Which I guess it would be if coming later this year. Hope it's true but not going to get my hopes up.[/QUOTE]

Same. I have very few complaints about the engine, and I really loved the atmosphere and feelings I got whenever exploring a new level for the first time. In fact, I wish I could recapture that - now that I have played through all the levels multiple times a lot of the magic is gone.

I'd love to just see more levels and new enemies. Hope they figure out a way to somehow incorporate DLC .

[quote name='Saint Noir']Online wise the game is glitched and can reset your tendency or it can fluctuate. As mentioned, best to go offline if you are shooting for a specific tendency.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're talking about something I don't know about, but if you're talking about the change in tendency while not playing, it's not a glitch: there is a global server-based tendency that all worlds drift toward. I read somewhere that the server tendency is an average of all players' tendencies, which would explain why it's usually pretty white but not pure white.

[quote name='Koggit']Maybe you're talking about something I don't know about, but if you're talking about the change in tendency while not playing, it's not a glitch: there is a global server-based tendency that all worlds drift toward. I read somewhere that the server tendency is an average of all players' tendencies, which would explain why it's usually pretty white but not pure white.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is my understanding. Also remember that your WT only gets set when you go back to the Nexus (e.g. if you are pure black and kill the primeval demon, then your world stays pure black until your next trip to the Nexus, when it will move more toward white).

[quote name='Koggit']Maybe you're talking about something I don't know about, but if you're talking about the change in tendency while not playing, it's not a glitch: there is a global server-based tendency that all worlds drift toward. I read somewhere that the server tendency is an average of all players' tendencies, which would explain why it's usually pretty white but not pure white.[/QUOTE]

It may have been fixed, but it used to reset if you quit your game in the Nexus while online. Reset to neutral. NO matter any other factors. It was a pain and one of the main reason to do things offline when dealing with WT.

Not the proper update when you go to the Nexus to update your WT. It was a flat out issue.

[quote name='Supplice']I would say its one of the most annoying bosses in the game. You face two Man Eaters, but one at a time initially. After a certain time has passed, the second Maneater comes in and joins with the first one. While you deal with the first one, try to damage it as fast as possible. It has an annoying tendency to just fly around until backup arrives.[/QUOTE]

Cheat with Maneater....kill the first one without stepping through the fog with a decent bow. Then all you have to do is deal with 1.....run to the cauldron in the middle....

IMO, Flamelurker >> Maneater...I somehow always get him to freak out on me.

lol JMB thats a pretty good glitch. I need to try that out. I have a heavy crossbow but how many arrows should I buy to tell how long until he dies? Where can you get a decent bow? Does it matter if I'm a barb?

You need a real bow. And bring a lot of arrows depending on the damage you do with a bow. Better to overload than to not bring enough. I think you can get a good bow very early in 4-1... I can't remember exactly though.

I know you can get a White Bow in 4-2 if you follow the secret path with the dual katana skeleton. I used one of those for a while until I got a Lava Bow and maxed out a Long Bow with Spiderstone. I actually kept it for quite a bit until I maxed the Spiderstone bow, since the bow trick doesn't work on Maneater if you use anything with fire (obviously making the Lava Bow not work well) as he'll end up being out of range after about 10 or so arrows.

White Bow takes pretty high stats if I remember correctly. You get a regular compound long bow in 4-1 where one of the skeleton archers is above the courtyard (over near where Vanguard stands).

[quote name='kurrptsenate']FROM made Armored Core 4 and 4 Answer. you can really tell especially after playing Demon's Souls.

As far as I'm concerned, they sh!t gold, so I'll buy whatever they make

[/QUOTE]

They are also making Armored Core 5 coming to JP this 2010. :bouncy:

===
As for bow. Viscous Long Compound Bow > all. Get white if you really have the time to pump those stats otherwise just get Lava or stick with a Long Compound Bow.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I know the requirements go down by some amount if you wield it with two hands (50% I think) but it would still take something like ~18 str/12 dex. Not sure of his stats, but yeah, a Compound Long (from 4-1) or Short (1-2) would do the trick. I just looked up their stats, and they're surprisingly close (40 damage for short vs. 45 for long). He'll definitely have to bring quite a few arrows though.

You get a 50% boost in strength, meaning the strength req effectively goes down by 33%. E.g. if it requires 18 str then you can wield it 2-handed with just 12 str and have no penalty.

bread's done
Back