Devil May Cry 4 (DMC4) Game discussion / Game in stores now / CE pics in OP

[quote name='imascrub']so anybody know the correct way to beat the boss? lol
I was just doin some random crap and was able to grab him from behind which put his flames out. Couldn't do it again though. While I was circling him randomly his flames went out again.[/quote]
Here's how I did it:

1. Run up to him and Devil Bring yourself up over him
2. Slash him in mid-air
3. Evade his attacks

repeat steps 1-3 until his flames go out

4. Throw him with O, and try to get two throws in.
5. After two throws, back off a lot - he's about to reignite himself.

Repeat this entire process until he's done for.

If you need more health, the buildings around you have green orbs in them. Stand on top of them to make Berial destroy them.

The Boss was pretty easy, but keep in mind guys, this is the first boss. looks like they hit a better spot with the difficulty level in this game. the way I see it, you should build your game to be of avg difficulty to easy and then offer a hard mode for those that see fit.

And as for Ninja Gaiden, I really don't see what was so hard about that game. I wasn't really that bad, and I'm not that skilled at these type of games (In fact I play most games on Easy - Normal Typically)

The one thing I don't quite get is the Rev, Maybe it's the countdown timer, but I didnt' find it helped too much. I bet I'm using it wrong and there's gotta be a way to rev in a middle of a combo to put the bar at full, I swear I saw it happen. Not sure how it works though.

[quote name='Zoglog']
The one thing I don't quite get is the Rev, Maybe it's the countdown timer, but I didnt' find it helped too much. I bet I'm using it wrong and there's gotta be a way to rev in a middle of a combo to put the bar at full, I swear I saw it happen. Not sure how it works though.[/quote]

There is a specific window during your attack in which you are supposed to press L2, doing so fills up one of those bars. Each successive attack also contains this window, so you can keep it going apparently. There's a guide on neogaf if you want more details, the link to it is below:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9457484&postcount=809

That was a fun demo. It was my first time touching a DMC game. I'll certainly have to check out the trilogy (and probably skip over 2) then play this one.

Basically I'm at a war of 360 vs. PS3. PS3 has no load times and 360 has achievements (PS3 has stupid acivements that don't go towards a gamerscore rendering them useless).

[quote name='Azumangaman']That was a fun demo. It was my first time touching a DMC game. I'll certainly have to check out the trilogy (and probably skip over 2) then play this one.

Basically I'm at a war of 360 vs. PS3. PS3 has no load times and 360 has achievements (PS3 has stupid acivements that don't go towards a gamerscore rendering them useless).[/QUOTE]
Definitely skip over 2. Everyone always says how bad it is, but I always thought it was decent. A few days ago I put it in and wow, I played a mission and quit. Compared to the other 2 DMC games it's garbage, but compare it to most of the other action games out now and it's pretty decent. That's sorta sad IMO.

I just want to point out that is most have been early in the game or dumbed down because it was way to easy. I always running into a brick wall when these games get to tough (and there is debate already if this is the hardest in the series) so just a word of caution.

I don't mind if it's difficult myself, in fact I'd prefer it. I enjoy getting better at the DMC games, spent a lot of time on 3 and I enjoyed every minute...even when I wanted to break the game out of frustration :p

[quote name='zephie']There is a specific window during your attack in which you are supposed to press L2, doing so fills up one of those bars. Each successive attack also contains this window, so you can keep it going apparently. There's a guide on neogaf if you want more details, the link to it is below:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9457484&postcount=809[/quote]

so its wrong to just pump L2? haha thats what i did i just stood there and pressed it to load up that damned bar ... or held it till it loaded and messed around. i will attempt to beat DMC1 this weekend..

my eyes have adjusted to next-gen graphics im kinda sad i dont go
HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS!
maybe i need to play some ps1 games... haha

but yeah the graphics looked pretty dam good so far i stared at his boots for a good 5 seconds.

For an action game, the ratio of action to just wandering through empty rooms was pretty low.

I've never been a big fan of the series, though. My REC:VX came with the DMC1 demo. At the beginning I was like, this is fun and I love shooting things! By the end it was more like, OK, that's enough of this game forever!

[quote name='zephie']There is a specific window during your attack in which you are supposed to press L2, doing so fills up one of those bars. Each successive attack also contains this window, so you can keep it going apparently. There's a guide on neogaf if you want more details, the link to it is below:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9457484&postcount=809[/QUOTE]

thanks,

sounds too complicated for me though. I guess I'll just naturally try to find the timing as I play.

I thought the demo was good. I'm not sure if I am going to pick this up right away though because I am not a huge fan of the series. If I can get it for $40 I might get it. The graphics were nice but the demo really didn't have a lot of enemies to kill. I'll probably rent the game when it comes out.

I played the demo yesterday and it was pretty cool. First time ever playing a DMC game for me so I had no idea what to expect. The Boss Fight was pretty cool, although I had to quit playing before I could beat him. I wish they would have put a checkpoint right before the boss battle so you didn't have to do all that other fighting.

I found it to be pretty decent. Not that I'll pay full price for it. But I'm getting it. Have to go back and play some last gen games so I can fully appreciate the demo's graphics though.

[quote name='CrimGhost']If you have a choice, I'd get the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

Why? Is it smoother? I have yet to try the demo on either system, but the 360 is my system of choice generally.

[quote name='doubledown']Why? Is it smoother? I have yet to try the demo on either system, but the 360 is my system of choice generally.[/quote]

From what I understand, you install the game to the PS3's harddrive, eliminating load times.

From what I hear, yes...

Off topic, damn, i must be rusty but i had a killer time trying to get to the boss, let alone trying to beat him

how do i get through the big red thing blocking my way if you guys have any idea what im talking about

Had a great time with the demo, probably a rental for me since I'd never played any previous Devil May Cry games before.

[quote name='bik245']how do i get through the big red thing blocking my way if you guys have any idea what im talking about[/quote]
kill the enemies in your way

Tried playin with that Just Frame EX stuff. The timing is hard to get down when you're in the middle of a battle and pullin swings left and right with your adrenaline runnin, but the moves are a bit more powerful and can come in handy when you don't have time to charge up normally.

Tried vs the boss in air combos but that seems to be much harder (for me) to pull off than on ground combos. Was able to pull it off a few times, though kinda hard to notice while keeping the rhythm up lol.

I still enjoy watching him use the arm to beat people down the best though...especially the boss lol. That was fun. Too bad it doesn't happen more often. The first time I fought vs the boss I didn't think to launch myself up there and grab him...I was just punching him from the ground. Noticed that only took away like a bar of health off. Was thinkin "no way it's that weak....I must not be doing something right"

Freakin' loving the demo...especially the boss battle. Nero is bad ass with that Devil bringer! Perhaps it's just me, but it's so much more fun to play as Nero over Dante.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Freakin' loving the demo...especially the boss battle. Nero is bad ass with that Devil bringer! Perhaps it's just me, but it's so much more fun to play as Nero over Dante.[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something or can you switch between Nero and Dante? If you can't then how do you know its more fun to play as Nero then Dante?

how do you get past the part where

****spoilers i guess****

after it goes to the cutscene and you see all those monsters on top of the car and being rambunctious

i got the blue orb to give you the super blue arm powers...but i dont know how to get out of the building

[quote name='pimpinc333']Am I missing something or can you switch between Nero and Dante? If you can't then how do you know its more fun to play as Nero then Dante?[/QUOTE]
Well, I meant as Dante in previous DMC's...his devil bringer makes combat more fun

[quote name='swetooth9']how do you get past the part where

****spoilers i guess****

after it goes to the cutscene and you see all those monsters on top of the car and being rambunctious

i got the blue orb to give you the super blue arm powers...but i dont know how to get out of the building[/quote]

Go to the blue circle on the steps you passed on the way to the blue orb, and then press R1 to lock on and circle to launch yourself.

I gotta say I'm really not liking the exceed trigger being on the L2. Wish it was on L1 instead. The controller keeps slipping out of my hands when they get sweaty during the boss battle and the rear L trigger is not helping things one bit lol. Hope you can customize controls in the final version

[quote name='pimpinc333']Am I missing something or can you switch between Nero and Dante? If you can't then how do you know its more fun to play as Nero then Dante?[/quote]
You can switch in the full game, but not in the demo.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Well, I meant as Dante in previous DMC's...his devil bringer makes combat more fun[/quote]
Agreed; makes me wonder what other tricks Nero will be able pull off with that thing in the full game. But if anyone knows, don't spoil it for me!

Got the DMC4 demo, im gettin it on day 1 probably. I liked the gameplay, ive never played the series before, and i enjoyed it pretty much. Im not sure whats going on story wise, but im definately getting this because i want a 1 player game.

[quote name='dfo']Yeah, but not for any reasons stated in the article. The PS3 version is the one to buy b/c it loads tons of data to the HDD on initial install, and loadtimes are therefore much faster than on the Xbox. Otherwise, reviewers are saying graphics are identical.[/quote]

CVG says that the load times on PS3 aren't significantly faster than on the 360, plus there's a 20-minute install process. I don't see why people are making a fuss about that, since it's a one-time thing. Just start it up and go make a sandwich or something.

I'd probably still go with the PS3 version because of the controller, and because the 360 DVD drive is deafening compared to the PS3.

[quote name='metaly']CVG says that the load times on PS3 aren't significantly faster than on the 360, plus there's a 20-minute install process. I don't see why people are making a fuss about that, since it's a one-time thing. Just start it up and go make a sandwich or something.

I'd probably still go with the PS3 version because of the controller, and because the 360 DVD drive is deafening compared to the PS3.[/quote]

Same I want the ps3 one because of the controller. I want get the game as soon as it comes out,but I'll get it someday. If I had the money right now I would.

[quote name='Thomas96']on ps3fanboy.com they're saying that this game has accomplishments and its running outside of the game via the PS3 OS. I might get it just for the accomplishments. who knows.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/02/04/dmc4-accomplishments-are-intriguing/[/quote]I really don't care about the game, but I LOVE THIS NEWS.

First signs of Home integration and in-game XMB.
It's coming.
sources say between april and june.

Same here, although the guy at EB told me that they should be there by 2pm because that is when they always get their shipment.

Accomplishments/Cheesemints are irrelevant on the PS3 front unless they're done for every game, which is pretty unlikely at this point. That includes games released, as well as forward looking.

Also, are there "points" for each achievement in DMC4? Where are they displayed? Can people on your friends list look this up to see what you have done?

Unless they implement this, at the least, as fully as XBL has, it will be another laughed-at feature, like sixaxis motion control. Which is a shame, since while I personally don't care for achievements, it is a helluva marketing tool/incentive to buy games.

i didn't even know that there's a price difference between the X360 and PS3 versions until today! Is this price difference only in Europe or something? I haven't heard anything like this in the states...

[quote name='mykevermin']Accomplishments/Cheesemints are irrelevant on the PS3 front unless they're done for every game, which is pretty unlikely at this point. That includes games released, as well as forward looking.

Also, are there "points" for each achievement in DMC4? Where are they displayed? Can people on your friends list look this up to see what you have done?

Unless they implement this, at the least, as fully as XBL has, it will be another laughed-at feature, like sixaxis motion control. Which is a shame, since while I personally don't care for achievements, it is a helluva marketing tool/incentive to buy games.[/quote]Achieving certain ones though, you do get 3D trophies that are displayed in your profile, or in your 3D HOME.

I think they should have added points as well, as like you said, it's one of the most brilliant marketing tools ever.
Crazy to see how many achievement whores there are out there.
We'll see how well the trophies work out for them though, they might be cooler than they sound.

Maybe a lil' somethin' somethin' for beating Hell or Hell mode?

I'm going to play through the trilogy starting today to get back in the mood for the 4th game.

[quote name='mykevermin']Accomplishments/Cheesemints are irrelevant on the PS3 front unless they're done for every game, which is pretty unlikely at this point. That includes games released, as well as forward looking.

Unless they implement this, at the least, as fully as XBL has, it will be another laughed-at feature, like sixaxis motion control. Which is a shame, since while I personally don't care for achievements, it is a helluva marketing tool/incentive to buy games.[/QUOTE]
You can compare achievements with people on your friends list.

bread's done
Back