Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I dunno, with the Lich King coming in December and Starcraft allegedly before that, I feel we'll all have to wait until next year :cry:

I hope they hold beta testing soon, though. I was lucky enough to beta D2 when they were testing battlenet stability. You could only play the Barbarian and only play as far as Blood Raven, but it was still fun. I was shocked to see folks who played that small bit so much they made it to level 20+.[/quote]I would be VERY surprised if this came out before 2010.

StarCraft won't be coming out this year either., as per ^

I kind of like that they work in balance to many games come out now that aren't balanced properly and it makes it more limited in who or what you will play as a result. I do think they go overboard with it though so in that case I agree with you.

Not being a fan of Blizzard, I wasn't expecting much from the game play trailer. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. That was very damn cool.

I owned Diablo briefly before I got bored with it and returned it. I skipped D2 to play Baldur's Gate. Since I love Titan's Quest, D2 fanbois in forums are a particular sore spot for me. But since Iron Lore has been shut down, I have been searching for my next Action RPG fix. Diablo 3 will defintitely be it, unless Blizzard decides to adopt some awful Hellgate-like subscription model. Late 2009 or Mid 2010 would be my guess at a release date.

Elsewhere people have said it's likely to have fairly moderate system requirements. I hope this is true because I built in May and I hope 4GB of memory, 512MB 8800GT, and a Dual Core Allendale will be more than enough for 1650 X 1080 resolution.

[quote name='mrelusive']I would be VERY surprised if this came out before 2010.

StarCraft won't be coming out this year either., as per ^[/quote]

Ah, I guess I should read the story closer where it say retailers are throwing out the Dec. 3rd release date. Ne'ermind.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think Blizzard while making great core games are just morons when it comes to balance and its crazy they spend so much time working on it. I mean I played I dont know how many mods that had more then 3 skill trees and yet the balance was fine. THey also freaking are constantly tweeking skills that dont need it.

If you can play the game and its not buggy, and if one skill or class does not just absolutely dominate over all or is just so weak that you cant play the game...who cares? Honestly I would rather them spend time creating more skills, items, classes and enemies to kill then fretting over if everything is perfectly fair and balanced.[/QUOTE]

Balance is kind of important for PvP, for one.

*slowly watching the 20 minute video*

1. Some hilariously bad Steven Segal dialogue lines, like "It's nothing a good axe can't handle." Love it.

2. Excellent joke with Cain and the Barbarian.

3. Wow. This is what I had envisioned D2 to be when I was imagining it after beating the first one. I was sorely disappointed with the sequel, but this one looks pretty amazing so far.

[quote name='trq']Balance is kind of important for PvP, for one.[/QUOTE]

True, however PvP is just one small section of the game that not even everyone really bothers with. I cant see PvP balancing worth stalling the game for as much of a year + loosing content for.

I'm just thankful for Spore.

I army of penismen will probably keep me busy until SC2. If not, Red Alert 3 will definitely help. SC2 should tide me over until D3. After D3... well... there is no after D3.

If only there was some way we could get to play Diablo III NOW instead of waiting 2 years.... Hmmm....

urtimemachine.jpg

Sadly, I think you're right.

While I have recovered from it, WoW is still an enormous beast to wrangle with and as such, I imagine that it has been taking up most of Blizzard's time. Factor in the Lich King expansion that is coming and I can't imagine Diablo 3 coming anytime too soon. I mean, I remember seeing screens of Starcraft that looked finished for years before that came out.

[quote name='Halo05']Sadly, I think you're right.

While I have recovered from it, WoW is still an enormous beast to wrangle with and as such, I imagine that it has been taking up most of Blizzard's time. Factor in the Lich King expansion that is coming and I can't imagine Diablo 3 coming anytime too soon. I mean, I remember seeing screens of Starcraft that looked finished for years before that came out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it feels like SC1 was about a 3 year wait, I don't quite remember too well. That far back time sort of blurs. I know for a fact WC3 and WoW each took three year from their big unveilings (which included lots of media, like this) to release.

But atleast the WC3 beta was leaked! That gave us something to play with for a year. :lol:

I wish I was as ambivalent to the launch of Diablo 3 as I was 2. I didn't really play Diablo 1 so I didn't much care about 2. However, the first time I played it, I was fucking hooked to an 8 year, love/hate addiction. I'm still kinda itchy for some Meph runs... Remind me how much I hate botting Koggit, please!

This place smells of death.

[quote name='Koggit']Yeah, it feels like SC1 was about a 3 year wait, I don't quite remember too well. That far back time sort of blurs. I know for a fact WC3 and WoW each took three year from their big unveilings (which included lots of media, like this) to release.[/quote]

Works for me, try going to their homepage.

http://g2buy.com/

Then, under category, click Diablo II Cd-Key

[quote name='Kayden']Remind me how much I hate botting Koggit, please[/QUOTE]

Ew, yeah.

Botting on D2 transforms it from a game to a file cabinet. Nothing but muling, transferring, organizing... uhhg.

I'm grateful for botting because it finally (and permanently) cured what had previously been an insatiable appetite for Meph runs.

[quote name='mrelusive']Well, after seeing this, I actually wouldn't mind if they darkened the art style a bit:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7807/itshouldrh5.jpg[/QUOTE]

After seeing that yes the darker look is MUCH freaking better. However its not such a huge deal that id be really even that upset when D3 came out. Id be more upset if they went back in and changed things to make it darker and it delayed the game more then a month ;)

People are talking shit about the rainbow in that picture.

Apparently it can't appear at that angle and is flipped.

I thought about it for a bit and then realized, who cares? Its a rainbow.

[quote name='crystalklear64']People are talking shit about the rainbow in that picture.

Apparently it can't appear at that angle and is flipped.

I thought about it for a bit and then realized, who cares? Its a rainbow.[/QUOTE]

But Rainbows mean homosexuality! And Homosexuality in D3 can only mean hawt Paladin on Barb action! The people complaining just cant admit they want front row seats for that.

Honestly, it's Blizzard. If you've posted in this thread you'd buy Diablo 3 even if Diablo was on the cover with pink ribbons on his horns.

I don't know what it's going to be like, but it will be perfect.

[quote name='electronicthroat']HAHAHAHA what a bunch of whiners:

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=070108_6

I really like the new direction that DIII looks to be taking. And the game is still a long way away from being finished.[/QUOTE]

You know I gotta ask then - how did any of these people play D2?

I thought D2 threw out a lot of the menacing nature of D1, with so many outdoor environments and hokey enemies like poorly-drawn catwomen, as well as big headed tiki knife fuckers. It really wasn't until you got into Hell that I thought it resembled the original, which was always dark with an air of demonic possession. D2 was out in the sun. Wtf, the sun? No thank you.

D3 looks like it cranks up the dark atmosphere to near-D1 levels, which dark brooding environments and a feeling of cautiousness, as if you couldn't know what was around the corner. Looks WAY better than D2 to me.

Peh. Oh well. They don't have to buy it and can be mad for the next 18 years of development time, as that will provide them many chances to photoshop screencaps.

[quote name='Strell']You know I gotta ask then - how did any of these people play D2?

I thought D2 threw out a lot of the menacing nature of D1, with so many outdoor environments and hokey enemies like poorly-drawn catwomen, as well as big headed tiki knife fuckers. It really wasn't until you got into Hell that I thought it resembled the original, which was always dark with an air of demonic possession. D2 was out in the sun. Wtf, the sun? No thank you.

D3 looks like it cranks up the dark atmosphere to near-D1 levels, which dark brooding environments and a feeling of cautiousness, as if you couldn't know what was around the corner. Looks WAY better than D2 to me.

Peh. Oh well. They don't have to buy it and can be mad for the next 18 years of development time, as that will provide them many chances to photoshop screencaps.[/QUOTE]

Heh I thought the same thing playing D2. I was also pissed that you were not diving into one long deep dungeon that got progressively harder. However as has been said, none of it matters. A good game is a good game and graphics are hardly the heart of Diablo.

It would be pretty funny if Blizzard came out and said they were trying to shoot for a "Teen" rating. And then later said "Just kidding". That would really piss some people off.

[quote name='Moxio']A teen rating would suck massive dick.[/quote]

yeah, but i think you can tell from the gameplay videos already that it's definitely not going to be Teen.

[quote name='mrelusive']Don't know why I just found this now, but Shacknews had a pretty extensive summary of what they know about D3 so far: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=909[/QUOTE]

See again it saying its 4 or 5 years into development and realy far along again makes me think that its gonna shock alot of people and come out sooner then people thing. Like I said my gut says this fall, but my guess is even if they shoot for that we see it next fall.

[quote name='electronicthroat']yeah, but i think you can tell from the gameplay videos already that it's definitely not going to be Teen.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. :cool:

[quote name='MSI Magus']See again it saying its 4 or 5 years into development and realy far along again makes me think that its gonna shock alot of people and come out sooner then people thing. Like I said my gut says this fall, but my guess is even if they shoot for that we see it next fall.[/quote]

I'm wanting to agree with you. Most of the time when a game is announced you may get some concept art or a trailer. That's what I expected to see when I first saw a headline about this game being announced, but was very surprised to see a few different gameplay videos and a lot more information that the usual when a game is announced.

But then again, it is Blizzard.

[quote name='Moxio']A teen rating would suck massive dick.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt bug me none. As iv said a number of times the heart of Diablo is the gameplay and the item hunting. If it comes out and its a bit more colorful and doesnt have topless woman it doesnt bug me.

Hell if this was a console release id almost hope for the teen rating to boost sales. More sales = better chance of multiple Xpacks ;)

So when do you guys think this will honestly come out? They say it has been four years in the making, but I remember one of the creators saying it was still in "early stages".

I'm predicting 2011 holiday season with Starcraft hitting next holiday season.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So when do you guys think this will honestly come out? They say it has been four years in the making, but I remember one of the creators saying it was still in "early stages".

I'm predicting 2011 holiday season with Starcraft hitting next holiday season.[/QUOTE]

I want to believe late 2010...that's two-and-a-half years, which sounds about right to me (and is also what I expect for SC2)...

I'm still sticking with 2010.

Also, lawl at these blog posts (not CAG) bitching and moaning about the game coming to Mac, but not consoles. Yeesh...

I don't understand the mac bitching either. I have a mac now (for video editing (which I freelance for)), and I have the Diablo Battle Chest, the starcraft chest and World of Warcraft. I support Blizzard partially because they have Always had Mac support for their software. Having sc + diablo come out for Mac is not some revolution, it's their standard practice.

The first time through, it was fair. It was no Diablo, but it could have been worse. Large selection of classes with a good number of skills.

Online blew. It was like playing on open battle.net. There were no dedicated servers and no server side character storage. Lag was horrible because morons with DSL would try to host 8 player games.

Then there was the fact that everything was always the same. You would know that you would face 3 X at town Y followed by 4 Z on the path after that. It wasn't a massive static land like Sacred (that atleast had random respawning monsters) nor was it random like Diablo 2. Everything was pretty much A -> B with a bunch of the same Cs trying to stab you in the nuts.

Then there was absolutely ZERO character customization. No hair, eyes, face, height... nothing. Guy or girl, period. Some people put up edited skins, but it was too much work for something that should have been in game.

No shared stash. Diablo didn't have this either, but TQ was supposed to learn from Diablo's mistakes, not copy them.

Mindless grind for items. Sure, in Diablo 2 you'd wind up doing a few dozen Meph runs, but the dungeon was always new and the locations and types of monsters were random each time. In TQ you ALWAYS knew there would be 4 skeletons, 2 minotaurs, 5 more skeletons, 3 really annoying cycli, etc on your way to fight.... what ever the big boss thing was.

Then theres the whole drop premise. Creatures drop what they carry. Great IDEA. Unfortunately, nothing ever carried an item worth a flying fuck. You kill 20 monsters and you're knee deep in a sea of broken/plain items. Any time a monster did have a speacial weapon, the mother fucker would one shot you with it. If they had nice armor, they were near impossible to kill.

I'm glad Iron Lore folded. They couldn't even steal a game properly.

Oh yeah, I revised my wallpaper.

Is it too much? I thought there was too much empty space... now it looks a little crowded.

[quote name='Moxio']Really? Why so?[/quote]

Heh, I just ordered Titan Quest + the expansion for a total of $8.72. Is it at least worth that much? (I don't plan on playing it online.)

I'm a sucker for ancient Greek myth; that motivated my purchase more than anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back