Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

If you're only going to play through it once and not hoping for a Diablo 2 level experience, you'll be well off for $9.

It's really only when you try to replay it really shows its weakness.

I liked Titan Quest, but my only online experience was with Kayden and I dropped every 5 minutes or so, so that sucked.

LAN-wise, it was a fun game to play with a friend.

Also they nerfed Ternion attack in like.. the 3rd patch so I stopped playing when I could no longer kill things.

I was playing Titan Quest for a while, but it seems like there's a severe lack of dungeons. Just small caves and tombs, nothing exciting. So, I installed Diablo 2 and its expansion again.

Ha, Titan Quest Gold recently appeared on Steam's "Top Sellers" list, probably due to all of the excitement surrounding Diablo III.

[quote name='Serik']Ha, Titan Quest Gold recently appeared on Steam's "Top Sellers" list, probably due to all of the excitement surrounding Diablo III.[/QUOTE]

I never got to play Titan Quest. Is it similar to Diablo or something, I always thought it was more Baldurs Gate like?

[quote name='MSI Magus']I never got to play Titan Quest. Is it similar to Diablo or something, I always thought it was more Baldurs Gate like?[/quote]It's more of a mix between Diablo and Dungeon Siege. It's not really in the same league as Baldur's Gate.

Does the downloaded version work with vista? I have my CD keys/Disks and characters saved to a floppy disk and/or CD from Windows 98.

My 2 cents: I am so happy D3 is sticking to its roots. I didn't buy WOW because of the whole pay2play thing. Random memory...Did anyone else here play Quake on heat.net?

[quote name='slowdive21']Random memory...Did anyone else here play Quake on heat.net?[/quote]I used to play Quake II on there. Wasn't heavy on the community stuff, just the matchmaking.

Good times.

Titan Quest is really good imo. It improves upon many things from Diablo II, too many to list now actually. It is a system hog however, you need a good machine to run it well. But if you have the horses it looks gorgeous. My friends and I are replaying D2 right now, when we finish I think we will move on to TQ.

For those of you interested on playing an awesome mod for Diablo II, check this group out:

http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com

Completely replaces all the skills, mob spawns, items, raises the max level 120, and adds 30 new quests in addition to several "Uber Quests" which are damn near impossible to beat.

For use in TCP/IP and Offline games, but after playing around a bit with a few other CAGs, I like it, makes the game a whole lot more enjoyable without having to grind for experience, but not overdoing it and making it without challenge.

For example, if I'm playing as a Necro, have 19 summons out, and STILL get killed from time to time in ACT 1, that's a good game to me.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']For those of you interested on playing an awesome mod for Diablo II, check this group out:

http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com

Completely replaces all the skills, mob spawns, items, raises the max level 120, and adds 30 new quests in addition to several "Uber Quests" which are damn near impossible to beat.

For use in TCP/IP and Offline games, but after playing around a bit with a few other CAGs, I like it, makes the game a whole lot more enjoyable without having to grind for experience, but not overdoing it and making it without challenge.

For example, if I'm playing as a Necro, have 19 summons out, and STILL get killed from time to time in ACT 1, that's a good game to me.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Iv played alot of his mods in the past and they are always quality. Iv been waiting forever for his new mod to get out of alpha(generally hate playing stuff in alpha or beta because of bugs and other issues).

Titan Quest is quality, besides its 3 big flaws:
--online sucks
--no deep dungeons (or at least, after my first 18 hours, I've finally hit one that's only 5 floors deep.)
--still stutters and rubber bands, even if your specs destroy it

Otherwise, it's beautiful and a shitload of fun. Just as good as Diablo II in several ways. I'll play through both before D3 comes out.

So does anyone know the answer...Does the downloaded version work with vista? I have my CD keys/Disks and characters saved to a floppy disk and/or CD from Windows 98.

[quote name='slowdive21']So does anyone know the answer...Does the downloaded version work with vista? I have my CD keys/Disks and characters saved to a floppy disk and/or CD from Windows 98.[/QUOTE]

Well the normal version works with vista, but you get that annoying message that this may not be compatible with vista anyways.

^^Ok thanks! I wanted to make sure before I had any problems...I tried to install Quake 2 and it took me 3 or 4 days to get my computer back to normal. It would boot up into quake 2 and everything was zoomed in and upsaide down. I ended up having to do a system restore.

[quote name='lordwow']I don't understand the mac bitching either. I have a mac now (for video editing (which I freelance for)), and I have the Diablo Battle Chest, the starcraft chest and World of Warcraft. I support Blizzard partially because they have Always had Mac support for their software. Having sc + diablo come out for Mac is not some revolution, it's their standard practice.[/quote]

:whistle2:( tried loading up Diablo 2 today on my Mac, failed at startup. Seems like Apple took out the 256-bit color support for the newer MBPs.

Potential workaround: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=535843&p=7 (post 133) haven't tried it myself yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow I was just browsing another site and saw mentions of Diablo 3. I played alot, to much of 2 when I discovered it way back when. Watching videos over on IGN makes me want to go find a copy of it but i've got way to much other stuff to play. I'll definitely have myself a nice new video card and be ready whenever this decides to come out. I'm not much of a rpg or computer gamer but D2 sucked me in for some odd reason. Hope the magic is still alive with this one.

Anyone heard about the abilty to mod in Diablo 3? Im hoping they appreciate how much D2 was modded and how big their modding community is and give us some great modding tools.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone heard about the abilty to mod in Diablo 3? Im hoping they appreciate how much D2 was modded and how big their modding community is and give us some great modding tools.[/quote]

In the panel or interview I recall someone saying that because of the 3D and randomness the game doesn't lend well to modding. I call bullshit. We will see D3 mods. I doubt Blizzard will release any modding tools. You should be able to find that interview somewhere.

Also, since you mentioned it earlier, I have also been waiting for M:XL. I have been playing mods by Laz since Median_2 and mods in general since 1.09 (anyone remember Hell on Earth II ?)

[quote name='Jest']In the panel or interview I recall someone saying that because of the 3D and randomness the game doesn't lend well to modding. I call bullshit. We will see D3 mods. I doubt Blizzard will release any modding tools. You should be able to find that interview somewhere.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't lend well maybe to modding in new environments, however they could create tool sets to change the skills, create your own items or add new enemies to the game no problem. Hell look at what people accomplished with D2.

Has anyone else heard about the collective whining in regards to D3's graphics? A video about it was up at yahoo when I went to check my email. There's apparently an online petition (gasp) calling for Blizzard to keep the game more "true" to Diablo 1 and 2.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-4/1227107

Never underestimate the wrath of the unwashed internet masses. If any of the petition signers don't run out and buy the game whenever it gets released, I'll eat a boot.

EDIT - Oops, missed when this was discussed a couple pages back. I'm still flabbergasted that people can bitch about Diablo 3 when no one outside of Blizzard has even played it yet. Some people are never satisfied. Perhaps they should go make a videogame.

To address this petition bullshit....
that's actually a very strong movement. I am surprised to see how many signatures it's acquired. I respect that they feel so concerned for the game, but i think it's bullshit. The goons who've signed it have obviously not played Titan Quest, or did and couldn't appreciate it's vibrant diverse worlds. Or maybe they didn't watch the first ten minutes of the gameplay video. The Barbarian facing off against hundred of ghouls in a leaky dungeon... that IS Diablo.
I'm not sure if you can tell, but i'm pissed about that petition.
I think the art direction is even better than the original.

[quote name='sandrokstar']To address this petition bullshit....
that's actually a very strong movement. I am surprised to see how many signatures it's acquired. I respect that they feel so concerned for the game, but i think it's bullshit. The goons who've signed it have obviously not played Titan Quest, or did and couldn't appreciate it's vibrant diverse worlds. Or maybe they didn't watch the first ten minutes of the gameplay video. The Barbarian facing off against hundred of ghouls in a leaky dungeon... that IS Diablo.
I think the art direction is even better than the original.[/QUOTE]

I think the game looked better with the darker graphics....however as iv stated before I hardly think its a core element of Diablo or that the new graphics look bad.

To me, graphically Diablo has always been more about the isometric viewpoint as opposed to the settings. Like Strell mentioned way back when, D2 had outdoor, sunny areas. A moldy, shady jungle as seen in the Witchdoctor videos isn't unprecedented.

But whatever, glad to see some others are as pissed about the petition as I am. It strikes me as a very arrogant thing to do. I'm still stunned that there is even going to be a Diablo 3 considering the work Blizzard/Vivendi have to pour into WoW. I mean, it is probably the single most labor-intensive videogame in history considering the development + constant updates + server maintenance.

[quote name='Halo05']To me, graphically Diablo has always been more about the isometric viewpoint as opposed to the settings. Like Strell mentioned way back when, D2 had outdoor, sunny areas. A moldy, shady jungle as seen in the Witchdoctor videos isn't unprecedented.

But whatever, glad to see some others are as pissed about the petition as I am. It strikes me as a very arrogant thing to do. I'm still stunned that there is even going to be a Diablo 3 considering the work Blizzard/Vivendi have to pour into WoW. I mean, it is probably the single most labor-intensive videogame in history considering the development + constant updates + server maintenance.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If they would have switched the point of view of the game THEN id be pissed about the graphics.

I'm with MSI Magus. I preferred the really dark atmosphere of D1 to D2. Act 2 of D2 was my least favorite. I am not pissed about D3. I am still going to buy it on day one. I don't know if they just turned up the lights in the demo but I would love for light radius to return. I played Diablo 1 when I was 8 or 9 though and it scared the shit out of me because atmosphericaly it was like nothing I've ever played. I'm just pining I guess.

I didn't really notice the colors until I thought about it. I really hated playing the forest level in D2 (it was too bright), so I would prefer the moody feel to continue in D3. It would be like changing Batman back to 4 color printing...It just doesn't feel the same. I am going to sign the petition. AS FAR AS MODDING GOES...PEOPLE MODDING DIABLO IS WHAT RUINED IT ON BATTLENET. I can't tell you how many times people would jump into a game and kill everybody, take their stuff, and take their ear. (because they modded the game) If someone wants to build a level, thats cool, but new skills and weapons should come from Blizzard.

[quote name='slowdive21']I didn't really notice the colors until I thought about it. I really hated playing the forest level in D2 (it was too bright), so I would prefer the moody feel to continue in D3. It would be like changing Batman back to 4 color printing...It just doesn't feel the same. I am going to sign the petition. AS FAR AS MODDING GOES...PEOPLE MODDING DIABLO IS WHAT RUINED IT ON BATTLENET. I can't tell you how many times people would jump into a game and kill everybody, take their stuff, and take their ear. (because they modded the game) If someone wants to build a level, thats cool, but new skills and weapons should come from Blizzard.[/QUOTE]

By mods im talking about stuff like Eastern Sun. These mods wont even freaking play on battle net. Your not talking about mods your talking about cheats, explots and hacks.

[quote name='Halo05']Has anyone else heard about the collective whining in regards to D3's graphics? A video about it was up at yahoo when I went to check my email. There's apparently an online petition (gasp) calling for Blizzard to keep the game more "true" to Diablo 1 and 2.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-4/1227107

Never underestimate the wrath of the unwashed internet masses. If any of the petition signers don't run out and buy the game whenever it gets released, I'll eat a boot.

EDIT - Oops, missed when this was discussed a couple pages back. I'm still flabbergasted that people can bitch about Diablo 3 when no one outside of Blizzard has even played it yet. Some people are never satisfied. Perhaps they should go make a videogame.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at this:

[quote name='mrelusive']Well, after seeing this, I actually wouldn't mind if they darkened the art style a bit:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7807/itshouldrh5.jpg[/QUOTE]

Which do you prefer, honestly?

And the lack of a light radius is pretty awful, unless they left it out in the videos to show the game off.

I prefer the "updated" dungeon picture but the original forest one.

I still think all four look great and couldn't see one making the game any more or less enjoyable to me.

[quote name='MSI Magus']By mods im talking about stuff like Eastern Sun. These mods wont even freaking play on battle net. Your not talking about mods your talking about cheats, explots and hacks.[/quote]

Mods = modifications. Cheats, exploits, and hacks fall under that definition.

[quote name='slowdive21']Mods = modifications. Cheats, exploits, and hacks fall under that definition.[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(computer_gaming)

Mod or modification is a term generally applied to computer games, especially first-person shooters, RPGs and real-time strategy games. Mods are made by the general public or a developer, and can be entirely new games in themselves. They can include new items, weapons, characters, enemies, models, textures, levels, story lines, music, and game modes. They also usually take place in unique locations. They can be single-player or multiplayer. Mods that add new content to the underlying game are often called partial conversions, while mods that create an entirely new game are called total conversions.

So where did everyone start back up on?

I've been playing on USEast for the past 2 weeks or so, if anyone else does add me to friends. B.net name is Mattte

[quote name='sandrokstar']To address this petition bullshit....
I think the art direction is even better than the original.[/quote]

Make a petition against their petition.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Me, Moxio, and Rock88 started on USWest non-ladder yesterday. Just reached Act III today.[/quote]

[quote name='Moxio']Right now we're all about level 20ish and we're just about to start Act III.[/quote]

Ah, cool, I couldn't resist the allure of a new season so I went with USEast Ladder.

Yeah that petition is a bit surprising. So surprising that the non-gaming people in the household let me know that they "saw it on Yahoo!". I mean, wow.

Diablo II battle.net fell apart when 1.10 came out. That was when they removed my beloved Newb Help chat. I spent more time there just chatting with the regulars than actually playing the game :p

[quote name='Liquid 2']You're an idiot.[/quote]

Umm hold your tongue bitch. A programmer at Midway agrees with me and your precious wikipedia does as well...

Mod (computer gaming), a software modification to alter a computer-game's appearance or play

So a hack or a cheat does not affect gameplay? Maybe you dbags should research before you attack me.

[quote name='slowdive21']Umm hold your tongue bitch. A programmer at Midway agrees with me and your precious wikipedia does as well...

Mod (computer gaming), a software modification to alter a computer-game's appearance or play

So a hack or a cheat does not affect gameplay? Maybe you dbags should research before you attack me.[/QUOTE]

Say what you want but its not how gamers use these terms and thus not why when I said I want it to be more mod friendly did I mean hack friendly. Diablo needs tool kits like Never Winter Nights.

I was under the impression there were quite a few mods for D2. Single player or LAN only, if you will though. I remember I was considering trying one, but then the ladder reset, and I was back on B.Net instead.

bread's done
Back