Direct2Drive 24 Days of Christmas Sale - All previous daily deals active

Xealot42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
265 (100%)

Current Deal: All previous daily/bonus deals active.

Expired Deals:
(12-24-2009) Spore = $19.95
(12-23-2009) Torchlight = $9.95
(12-22-2009) Champions Online = $14.95
(12-21-2009) Machinarium = $9.95
(12-20-2009) Dawn of War II = $19.95
(12-19-2009) Civ IV Complete = $15.95 (Batman AA = $24.95)
(12-18-2009) Trine = $9.95
(12-17-2009) Resident Evil 5 = $24.95
(12-16-2009) Section 8 = $12.50
(12-15-2009) NFS ProStreet = $4.95
(12-14-2009) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 = $9.95
(12-13-2009) Company of Heroes: ToV = $7.50
(12-12-2009) The Sims 3 = $39.95
(12-11-2009) Dragon Age: Origins = $39.95
(12-10-2009) BF 2 Complete = $14.95
(12-09-2009) Street Fighter IV = $19.95
(12-08-2009) Mercenaries 2 = $4.95
(12-07-2009) LOTR: Conquest = $9.95
(12-06-2009) Majesty 2 = $7.50
(12-05-2009) Prototype = $19.95
(12-04-2009) Red Alert 3 Bundle = $19.95
(12-03-2009) Need for Speed SHIFT = $24.95
(12-02-2009) The Witcher = $19.95
(12-01-2009) Mirror's Edge = $4.95

Ornament List (For Name That Game Giveaway):
Mirror's Edge:
d2dornament1.jpg

The Witcher:
d2dornament2.jpg

Need for Speed SHIFT:
d2dornament3.jpg

Red Alert 3/Red Alert 3 Uprising:
d2dornament4.jpg

Prototype:
d2dornament25.jpg

Majesty 2:
d2dornament6.jpg

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest:
d2dornament7.jpg

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames:
d2dornament8.jpg

Street Fighter IV:
d2dornament9.jpg

Battlefield 2/The Complete Battlefield Collection:
d2dornament10.jpg

Dragon Age: Origins:
d2dornament11.jpg

The Sims 3:
d2dornament12.jpg

Risen:
d2dornament13.jpg

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08:
d2dornament14.jpg

Need for Speed: ProStreet
d2dornament15.jpg

ArmA II:
d2dornament16.jpg

Resident Evil 5:
d2dornament17.jpg

Rise of Flight:
d2dornament18.jpg

Section 8:
d2dornament19.jpg

Civilization IV:
d2dornament20.jpg

Torchlight:
d2dornament21.jpg

Machinarium:
d2dornament22.jpg

Champions Online:
d2dornament23.jpg

Spore:
d2dornament24.jpg

List of possible upcoming deals (with banner ad pics):

Special thanks to Kurina and bitter1961 for digging up all these images from D2D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Witcher is a pretty good game, judging by this game was the ornament yesterday, it looks like tomorrows sale will be Need for Speed: Shift, so probably be 24.99 or 29.99 tomorrow

the witcher is an excellent game, though steam will have it cheaper in the future. hell you can get the retail for $15 from newegg and install the directers cut verssion from steam. thats a better deal

The price on The Witcher is a bit of a bummer. It was the same price during the D2D Halloween sale. And Steam had it for $20 a month ago and Impulse had it for $16 with that survey code.

I updated the OP with all the info posted so far. Let me know if I missed anything.

I cannot explain how amused I am that we not only found all the ornament images ahead of time, but the entire CAG community decifered them in the span of a few hours, as well. On top of that, we managed to find the discount images, further aiding our future decision-making.

D2D's relatively poor handling is our biggest strength, it seems.

EDIT: Thank you, Xealot, for the detailed update on the original post. I cannot describe how much that helps us all out.

ooh Torchlight for $10 is a must buy for me if that really is the case. Was waiting for it to drop for the steam sale but it never did.
I've been thinking of getting majesty 2 as well, i loved the first one, but really haven't heard too many good things about this one. Is it worth getting for $10?

Oh, I hadn't seen this thread. Thanks to whoever merged in that one I'd commented on. Good job spotting the updated banners with %off seals, cheapo72 -- if anybody still isn't seeing them, you have to shift-reload since your browser will cache them the first time you see them (which means the next batch of updates will probably also be invisible to people who've already seen the banners). And that's a brilliant job of pulling everything together, Xealot42, having the prices listed with the banners really helps, and those cut up ornaments make it easy to remember which game to guess today.

Judging by it going from Mirror's Edge to The Witcher, and with NFS Shift shown as the next ornament, I think it's pretty likely that the order shown in Xealot's post is the one of the sale. Though the banners gaining %off stickers does seem to be going in another order, so we'll have to see.

And the .co.uk sale seems to have updated with a whole different set of ornaments (yesterday it was using the same image as the US site) if anyone wants to take a stab at guessing what the games are: http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/Sites/RET-EN-GB/_img/holiday/ornaments.jpg
Trying to pull down the http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/Sites/RET-EN-GB/_img/holiday/[1-9999].jpg URLs should get you a list of which 24 banners they've uploaded too, if anybody wants to do that (where the number equates to the id number in the game's page's URL).

Judging by "yesterday"'s (in quotes since it will be "tomorrow" in 4 hours over there) sale of Trine, it looks like several of them will be different from those on the US site, and several will be available in the US too. Plus if you can't wait on Torchlight, it looks like it's sooner on the ornament list on the UK site.

Just an hour to go before the next deal arrives. Again, the guess is Need for Speed: SHIFT since D2D seems to be going from Ornament to Game Deal.

Admittedly, the deals for Dragon Age: Origins place the price in the high $30 range. It's still far too new for anything lower. Nevertheless, if you're that eager to play it, like myself, it's a better deal than $60 for the console version.

It really is great to be a PC person.

New banner ad stickers (shift-reload if you don't see them):

C&C 3 bundle -- $30 off = $14.95
Lord of the Rings: Conquest -- 50% off = $9.95ish
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames -- 50% off = $4.95ish

Notice that D2D has added a second point to the contest entries. If you get all 24 right, you're entered in another contest for all 24 games. However, that would include a Mirror's Edge ornament before the sale started and anyone knew to look there. :(

Based on images updating...

Red Alert 3 Bundle: $15 (December 4th - CONFIRMED)
Majesty 2: $10 (December 6th - ESTIMATE)
LOTR Conquest: $10 (December 7th - ESTIMATE)
Mercenaries 2: $5 (December 8th - ESTIMATE)
Street Fighter IV: $20 (December 9th - ESTIMATE)
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection: $15 (December 10th - ESTIMATE)
Dragon Age Origins: $40 ($55 for deluxe if included in deal) (December 11th - ESTIMATE)
The Sims 3: $40 (December 12th - ESTIMATE)
Tiger Woods 08: $10 (December 14th - ESTIMATE)
NFS Pro Street: $5 (December 15th - ESTIMATE)
Resident Evil 4: $25 (December 17th - ESTIMATE)
Section 8: $12.50 (December 19th - ESTIMATE)
Torchlight: $10 (December 21st - ESTIMATE)
Machinarium: $10 (December 22nd - ESTIMATE)
Champions Online: $15 (December 23rd - ESTIMATE)
Spore: $20 (December 24th - ESTIMATE)

[quote name='cheapo72']Notice that D2D has added a second point to the contest entries. If you get all 24 right, you're entered in another contest for all 24 games. However, that would include a Mirror's Edge ornament before the sale started and anyone knew to look there. :([/QUOTE]

Maybe they will put the Mirror's Edge ornament up the last day.

Updated the Title and OP with the new banner prices. It seems D2D has deleted/renamed some of the images.

[quote name='Xealot42']It seems D2D has deleted/renamed some of the images.[/QUOTE]

The Civ 4 one is good news. The banner at 309 is deleted (which mapped to Civ 4 regular), but they've added a 8042.jpg, for the Complete Edition!

8042.jpg

And it's 60% off, so it should be $16. That's the best price I've seen, since D2D's complete edition includes Colonization.

No idea about the Wolfenstein banner though. I don't think they sell any other editions of it that they could be just shuffling IDs around...

Huh, this is new:
8082.jpg

Could be bleed-over from the UK sale (I was wondering who that hooded guy in the UK ornaments was!), but other UK-only titles don't have banners in the US directory (Bioshock, f.ex.). If it's true, it looks like they replaced Wolfenstein with Prototype for $20.

I wonder if they'll update the ornaments if Wolfenstein has been replaced. They've added a little handwritten message on the sales page making it explicit that the ornament is the next day's game, and Wolfenstein was due to be displayed as tomorrow's ornament.

[quote name='bitter1961']The Civ 4 one is good news. The banner at 309 is deleted (which mapped to Civ 4 regular), but they've added a 8042.jpg, for the Complete Edition!

And it's 60% off, so it should be $16. That's the best price I've seen, since D2D's complete edition includes Colonization.

No idea about the Wolfenstein banner though. I don't think they sell any other editions of it that they could be just shuffling IDs around...[/QUOTE]

That is good news. Updated the OP with the new Civ IV Complete banner. So it looks like the only missing image now is Wolfenstein. And Risen, ArmA II, and Rise of Flight are the only banners now without markdown info.

Ok, they did update their ornaments.jpg image (shift-reload it -- even the akamai.net copy is updated). Prototype has replaced Wolfenstein.

Also they've uploaded:
4645.jpg

Which makes for 25 banners. So don't be surprised if one of the unpriced games disappears and is replaced by Bioshock. I doubt that this is bleed-over from the UK sale either, since it's at the US id of 4645, not the UK's ID of 4647.

I already jumped on D2D's Bioshock for $5.31 earlier in the year. However, this sale would put the game at $9.95, which isn't a great deal. (You can find the game cheaper elsewhere.)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Admittedly, the deals for Dragon Age: Origins place the price in the high $30 range. It's still far too new for anything lower. Nevertheless, if you're that eager to play it, like myself, it's a better deal than $60 for the console version.

It really is great to be a PC person.[/QUOTE]

Eliot I agree with the PC version is better since I saw some gameplay online. I am still thinking of spending $40 dollars. I though it would be $35 but I will still see if I should get it. The deals are decent but it seems that D2D is still trying to make a little extra money from their earlier deals in the year.

Has anyone been entering the UK contest too? I just looked at the rules, and it says the UK contest is only "open to legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington, D.C."

That probably narrows the competition a bit :lol:

Hm I was expecting better deals since they kicked it off with a $5 deal, but you can buy disc copies of pc games pretty cheap other places. The Witcher for $20 isnt much of a deal, pick it up for 15-16 on amazon.

Todays deal is decent though.

[quote name='volt1up']Hm I was expecting better deals since they kicked it off with a $5 deal, but you can buy disc copies of pc games pretty cheap other places. The Witcher for $20 isnt much of a deal, pick it up for 15-16 on amazon.[/QUOTE]
That sums up the entire list of deals. I'm glad our more astute CAGer's tore the site apart to reveal everything ahead of time. Otherwise, I would have been checking daily to see if there were any good deals. Ultimately, I would have passed on all of them.

This allows me to focus my efforts on what Steam ends up offering, and, let it be known, they're not wasting their time.

I would be hesitant to get Vampire on D2D since I don't know if fan patches are going to work, which apparently are pretty necessary.

WTF 30 Bucks off or 45 bucks IS not 20 dollars! for Command and conquer red alert 3

Edit: OH I see those bastards raised the price 5 bucks and then dropped it down 30 dollars, clever :p

[quote name='Vokhens']WTF 30 Bucks off or 45 bucks IS not 20 dollars! for Command and conquer red alert 3

Edit: OH I see those bastards raised the price 5 bucks and then dropped it down 30 dollars, clever :p[/QUOTE]I was coming here to post this. Too funny.

Yeah I just looked at the price yesterday and it was $44.95. Looks like they bumped the price up by $5 before subtracting the $30 so really it is $25 off.

[quote name='Vegan']I would be hesitant to get Vampire on D2D since I don't know if fan patches are going to work, which apparently are pretty necessary.[/QUOTE]

I know the fan patches work on the steam version, which is what I have. I would assume they also work on the D2D version.

[quote name='redlupine']I know the fan patches work on the steam version, which is what I have. I would assume they also work on the D2D version.[/QUOTE]

The reason most retail patches do not work on a digital distribution version is that most retail patches will examine the games executables to see if the copy protection has been removed or altered. If it has they reapply the copy protection while patching the game. When you do this to a digital distribution version it makes the game start looking for a disc to launch. I've never run into a fan patch that even cared if there was an executable in place, let along cared if it was copy protected.

The Vampire fan patches in particular just replace a number of the python scripts that control the game. Absolutely no reason it wouldn't work on a digital copy.

I downloaded vampire from d2d a month or so ago (when it was on sale) and the patches worked fine. It's now running fine on my Vista 64bit box

It appears that tomorrow's game's going to be Prototype for $20. (Unless, of course, they raise the price and then chop half off.) Still, most PC users can find the physical game for $15 or less.

D2D needs to stop these half-assed "deals" and do another $5 blowout.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']It appears that tomorrow's game's going to be Prototype for $20.[/QUOTE]

They went ahead with the Wolfenstein ornament for 'guess tomorrow's game'.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']It appears that tomorrow's game's going to be Prototype for $20. (Unless, of course, they raise the price and then chop half off.) Still, most PC users can find the physical game for $15 or less.

D2D needs to stop these half-assed "deals" and do another $5 blowout.[/QUOTE]

where can you find a copy for 15 for pc?

[quote name='cheapo72']They went ahead with the Wolfenstein ornament for 'guess tomorrow's game'.[/QUOTE]
I'm getting the Prototype ornament on the US site. I checked the UK site too, but the Bioshock ornament is there. We may need some screen shots.

90236452.jpg

I'm a bit sleep-deprived at the moment, but I know Prototype when I see it.

greenshot_2009-12-04_15-30-20.jpg

I did get Prototype after doing a shift-refresh, but took a screenshot first just for the record. Hope they accept both entries.

[quote name='cheapo72']I did get Prototype after doing a shift-refresh, but took a screenshot first just for the record. Hope they accept both entries.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the original ornaments.jpg must have had super long cache permissions on it, and browsers that retrieved it then aren't bothering to check for updates.

Speaking of updates to ornaments.jpg, they've gone and blanked out everything except for today's ornament, so I guess they've noticed people noticing it, and didn't want to feel boxed into a particular schedule.

Also just thought of checking where the ornaments on the Christmas tree at the bottom are coming from, but that's been blanked out too (there probably used to be a full version, since the UK one is still fully revealed): http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.direct2drive.com/Sites/RET/_img/holiday/sm-ornaments.png
http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.direct2drive.co.uk/Sites/RET-EN-GB/_img/holiday/sm-ornaments.png

[quote name='cheapo72']I did get Prototype after doing a shift-refresh, but took a screenshot first just for the record. Hope they accept both entries.[/QUOTE]
CAGer's tend to be serious about their deals, and that bleeds over into related dealings, like contests; I didn't doubt you, but I was confused how you were getting such a different ornament.

The fact that Steam's midweek (Zeno Clash) and weekend (Tomb Raider Underworld) deals for this week alone have garnered more positive feedback than this entire D2D promotion is humorous to me.

[quote name='doodofdoods']pretty crappy considering these were 5 each on their UK site for their 5 year anniversary.[/QUOTE]

They were 5 pound sterling each, so $15 would've been cheaper. At $20, it's not deal of the year, but it's hardly crappy.

[quote name='Vegan']I would be hesitant to get Vampire on D2D since I don't know if fan patches are going to work, which apparently are pretty necessary.[/QUOTE]

Vampire fan patches DO work with D2D, I bought it when it was 5$ and installed the fan patches just fine. This is one of the few things D2D has over Steam for me, the fan patches have been more successfull. (I'm looking at you tomb raider series).

Well, they've changed things around quite a bit. They uploaded a new ornament picture, under a new name ( http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.direct2drive.com/Sites/RET/_img/holiday/givemeaway.jpg ) with a whole bunch of new games displayed, and being displayed behind a transparent gif (if you're wondering why you can't select "View Background Image" from a context menu). I don't know if all those additional games are just disinformation or for something new. They don't seem to be for the "guess the name" contest.

Because their CSS for displaying the ornament in the giveaway section still picks out the exact same ornaments as before, in the same order, it's just it has to choose a completely different x and y coordinate for each ornament instead of the methodical next, next, next of before. It does now stop at day 23's game, champions online -- possibly the page will have an entirely different layout when there's only two more days to go, or maybe they just haven't added the positioning data for Spore yet (or maybe the last game has been changed to something else). I didn't think to check if there was positioning data for day 24's game under the old system, so this may be nothing new.

They've also renamed the ornaments for hanging on the christmas tree at the bottom ( http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.direct2drive.com/Sites/RET/_img/holiday/decorateme.png ), this time with the same 24 games, in the same order, including ending with Spore.

They've also removed(/renamed?) their banners, aside from this weekend's games. It remains to be seen if they will now only be uploading a few days'/a single week's worth of banners at a time, or if they've simply switched to a different naming system for further banners. We'll see what they do for Tuesday's reveal.

It's possible the careful mimicing of the original order is also disinformation, though I wouldn't expect them to want to have to edit the CSS each day, not over the weekend at least. I expect that the deals are going to remain stable until at least Monday.

If the ornament is just blank for you, be sure to shift-reload the page -- your browser still has the old CSS cached, pointing to the old (deleted) ornaments file. Also, the UK site has switched to the same sort of setup (change RET to RET-EN-GB in the URLs to see the UK versions of either file), though they didn't obfuscate their givemeaway.jpg file. Interestingly they didn't delete the old ornaments.jpg. Apparently on the UK site, the guessing isn't as big a concern, and they preferred to not break the site for anyone with an old cache of it just to stop it.

Prototype it is, in the U.S. anyway.

Edit: And
Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
for tomorrow.

Meh, I bit on the Red Alert 3 bundle, but am prob now waiting and crossing my fingers for a torchlight deal. Lets go Dec. 21st!

bread's done
Back