Direct2Drive Spring Sale - Week 4

jboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]13894[/IMG-R]Direct2Drive.com is kicking off their first annual Spring Sale featuring four weeks of deals on PC games and game bundles. The Spring Sale runs through May 9, 2010, with new discounted games launching each Monday morning.

In addition to the sale, get $15 in store credit when you spend $75 during the Spring Sale.

d2d.gif
Direct2Drive Spring Sale

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TheVandit']Get a job.
Work for 20 minutes.
Deposit your check.
Stop whining.

Please.[/QUOTE]

Have you checked the name of the website and forum you frequent? Frugal behavior is the name of the game.

I'm led to believe cheap video games should be the least of Elliot's priorities if $1 and $5 present both a financial (and more pathetically, a moral) dilemma.
On note of GTAIV, I have Windows 7 64-bit and can confirm that the D2D version works.

I really want KoToR, but it seems everytime I start playing it, I grow bored with it. Then again, with my newfound love for BioWare...I'm tempted again.

I've never used D2D before. Is it more like Steam with a separate client or more like GOG where I just download the game straight from the website?

jp, what did you all have to do for the widescreen patch for Kotor? I'll ReDL it from steam, but I never bothered doing the workaround for WS. Even though it sounds pretty simple.

The Path is barely a game ... I personally did not enjoy it and found that it's attempts to be a 'game as art' type style was utterly disappointing. It has very little reason to draw you back in after you play around with it a few times and *spoilers* it always ends nearly the same way. *spoilers*

It's a very dark and depressing 'game' that deals with some very adult issues in a somewhat underdeveloped manner. I understand that the game is attempting to send a message to its players and some may love it for it's very different approach and ultra-indie feel but I just thought that at the end of the day it was ultimately a waste of money and time to play. Granted, I personally am not a fan of this developer ... as they obviously put their artistic message and overall thematic intent before strong gameplay or even more so player enjoyment/ entertainment imo. So yeah ... that's my 2 cents, just to offer a different viewpoint.

Bottom line, if you do buy it, don't expect it to be like any of the other games that D2D is offering ... it's very much an acquired taste.

[quote name='etcrane']The Path is barely a game ... I personally did not enjoy it and found that it's attempts to be a 'game as art' type style was utterly disappointing. It has very little reason to draw you back in after you play around with it a few times and *spoilers* it always ends nearly the same way. *spoilers*

It's a very dark and depressing 'game' that deals with some very adult issues in a somewhat underdeveloped manner. I understand that the game is attempting to send a message to its players and some may love it for it's very different approach and ultra-indie feel but I just thought that at the end of the day it was ultimately a waste of money and time to play. Granted, I personally am not a fan of this developer ... as they obviously put their artistic message and overall thematic intent before strong gameplay or even more so player enjoyment/ entertainment imo. So yeah ... that's my 2 cents, just to offer a different viewpoint.

Bottom line, if you do buy it, don't expect it to be like any of the other games that D2D is offering ... it's very much an acquired taste.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Now I'm confused... I guess I will research a bit more. Thanks for your input. :)

[quote name='hordak']Ok. Now I'm confused... I guess I will research a bit more. Thanks for your input. :)[/QUOTE]

$5 isn't a huge amount to spend if you're curious about it ... it's just not going to be the type of game that like 6 months from now you'll suddenly feel the urge to play. I would recommend checking out the Graveyard (http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/) which is an earlier free 'game' by Tale of Tales and has a somewhat similar game mechanic except you play an old woman instead of a young girl and you walk around a graveyard instead of a forest ... oh, and you can't be sexually assaulted in the Graveyard ;-p.

The Path is the type of game that, after having played it, allowed a woman to speak more freely about being sexually abused as a child ... read this article, it should put the game into better perspective if you have doubts - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106642281

Like I said ... it really wasn't my cup of tea ... it's not like Silent Hill or any other kind of horror game that you think it might be like from reading the description. It is very disturbing and not very fun imo ... but at least you can read up and decide for yourself if the Path is right for you.

[quote name='plutoknight']I really want KoToR, but it seems everytime I start playing it, I grow bored with it. Then again, with my newfound love for BioWare...I'm tempted again.

I've never used D2D before. Is it more like Steam with a separate client or more like GOG where I just download the game straight from the website?[/QUOTE]

Like GOG

[quote name='doodofdoods']crap, should have bought Aaaaaa! earlier.[/QUOTE]Damn it, same here - I was going to get it in a few days, but with the price jacked up I'll wait for the inevitable Steam sale. Frankly, I hate D2D anyway, but this being DRM-free also made me want to get it.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Damn it, same here - I was going to get it in a few days, but with the price jacked up I'll wait for the inevitable Steam sale. Frankly, I hate D2D anyway, but this being DRM-free also made me want to get it.[/QUOTE]
I fully agree that D2D's price-toggling is shady. But for what it's worth, Aaaaa! is definitely worth $5.

And I'll ask again, if that's OK: Does anyone have a strong opinion of Eufloria?

Retail GTA IV CD Keys work with the D2D version. So if you, like me, bought the D2D version cos you were fed up with the retail one requiring the disc you end up with 2 valid CD Keys, it's just impossible to find a download of the D2D version without buying it.

[quote name='etcrane']$5 isn't a huge amount to spend if you're curious about it ... it's just not going to be the type of game that like 6 months from now you'll suddenly feel the urge to play. I would recommend checking out the Graveyard (http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/) which is an earlier free 'game' by Tale of Tales and has a somewhat similar game mechanic except you play an old woman instead of a young girl and you walk around a graveyard instead of a forest ... oh, and you can't be sexually assaulted in the Graveyard ;-p.

The Path is the type of game that, after having played it, allowed a woman to speak more freely about being sexually abused as a child ... read this article, it should put the game into better perspective if you have doubts - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106642281

Like I said ... it really wasn't my cup of tea ... it's not like Silent Hill or any other kind of horror game that you think it might be like from reading the description. It is very disturbing and not very fun imo ... but at least you can read up and decide for yourself if the Path is right for you.[/QUOTE]

The Graveyard is sooooo odd. I didn't understand it; I watched videos online. She just walks through a graveyard, sits down and listens to music. She either dies or doesn't. And that's it? LOL!

[quote name='Mike UFC']Ended up getting Manhunt 2. I didn't know it wasn't available for PC. That it's the AO version is a bonus.[/QUOTE]
If you can, let me know what you think; I'm kind of tempted since it's as cheap as it is abhorring.

And, again, I'd like to reiterate how low D2D is for upping the price on Aaaaa!

[quote name='hordak']The Graveyard is sooooo odd. I didn't understand it; I watched videos online. She just walks through a graveyard, sits down and listens to music. She either dies or doesn't. And that's it? LOL![/QUOTE]

Don't bother. The husband and wife team that make these games are stupidly pretentious "artist" types.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']If you can, let me know what you think; I'm kind of tempted since it's as cheap as it is abhorring.

And, again, I'd like to reiterate how low D2D is for upping the price on Aaaaa![/QUOTE]

i know you werent asking me but i just wanted to say i reallly like manhunt 2, im on the 5th level now and its deff worth the 5 spot. it controls really good with mouse and keyboard, except they have something called "interactive executions" which feels like wii mote controls but on your mouse (ex. hold down left button then move mouse up or down to perform the execution) and it feels horrible so i just turned it off right away to a more traditional style. a lot of people complain about how it looks but i think it looks great. to everyone out there i say Buy!!!!

[quote name='sublime90']i know you werent asking me but i just wanted to say i reallly like manhunt 2, im on the 5th level now and its deff worth the 5 spot. it controls really good with mouse and keyboard, except they have something called "interactive executions" which feels like wii mote controls but on your mouse (ex. hold down left button then move mouse up or down to perform the execution) and it feels horrible so i just turned it off right away to a more traditional style. a lot of people complain about how it looks but i think it looks great. to everyone out there i say Buy!!!![/QUOTE]

I think you missed the point of the question.

You almost had it when you said the executions "feel horrible" but you were actually talking about the control scheme.

Is anyone else getting a glitch when trying to buy Men of War Red Tide? When I add it to my shopping cart, no matter how many items I have, it tells me "There is a 4 item limit on checkout", and there's no button to allow me to continue. I'd love to purchase it Direct2Drive if you give me the option to...

I don't usually hijack threads ... but leave the D2D thread right now and go buy the Steam Deus Ex 2 pack for $5 (or $2.50 per game). You will thank me when you spend your $5 on that over anything that D2D is offering this week ... just saying ... seriously, I'm trying to point you guys who have never played Deus Ex in the direction of a really awesome game (1/2 the price of Manhunt 2 for the original Deus Ex)

[quote name='etcrane']I don't usually hijack threads ... but leave the D2D thread right now and go buy the Steam Deus Ex 2 pack for $5 (or $2.50 per game). You will thank me when you spend your $5 on that over anything that D2D is offering this week ... just saying ... seriously, I'm trying to point you guys who have never played Deus Ex in the direction of a really awesome game (1/2 the price of Manhunt 2 for the original Deus Ex)[/QUOTE]

Unless you've already bought Deus Ex or its sequel the last time they had it on sale, and want something new. Or just get games from both sites, because they are so cheap? No reason to devalue the D2D sale (or peoples choices) which, imo, have been better than most of Steam's sales lately (Dirt 2 for $10 was golden).

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously my message wasn't directed at people who already own Deus Ex ... however I can say with confidence that Deus Ex is a better game than anything D2D is currently offering in the same price range this week. You don't have to agree, but it's nice for people to have options in case they somehow missed the Deus Ex thread. But then I can see we already differ in perspective from the standpoint that I will always choose Steam over D2D unless the price is more compelling, simply because Steam offers a better service imo with the ability to download and delete repeatedly and cloud support for some games.

Hahaha, I like this guy. I just bought Deus Ex for $2.50. As for Manhunt 2, I'm horribly curious - I saw the first 5 minutes of gameplay and was surprised to see all the twisted scripted events that occur. I'll keep thinking.

And, since I haven't mentioned this yet, I'd like to complain about how D2D upped the price on Aaaaa!

I've never played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic before and just got it. I know it's an old game but is it suppose to be slightly choppy or is it just my setup and it being to awesome? :shock:

[quote name='USB Cable']I've never played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic before and just got it. I know it's an old game but is it suppose to be slightly choppy or is it just my setup and it being to awesome? :shock:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be choppy.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be choppy.[/QUOTE]
I figured and I know how dumb that question seemed, I phrased it wrongish. I know some games have well know issues or don't play well with newer OS's unless a bootleg patch is used. It's not bad to the point that I can't play it, just some crazy lag when changing the display options and slight fps problems in game. I'll do some research and figure it out, thanks for the reply buddy. :cool:

[quote name='etcrane']Obviously my message wasn't directed at people who already own Deus Ex ... however I can say with confidence that Deus Ex is a better game than anything D2D is currently offering in the same price range this week. You don't have to agree, but it's nice for people to have options in case they somehow missed the Deus Ex thread. But then I can see we already differ in perspective from the standpoint that I will always choose Steam over D2D unless the price is more compelling, simply because Steam offers a better service imo with the ability to download and delete repeatedly and cloud support for some games.[/QUOTE]

D2D lets your redownload at will. Also, you don't have to have a client running to play your purchases. Also, many of their game offerings are 100% DRM-free. On the downside, games aren't automatically patched like they are in Steam.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Steam (68 games in my Steam library right now, compared to 2 from D2D, lol). But D2D offers a compelling alternative, and I'm pleased to see that they are offering quality deep-cut sales from time to time. A little pressure on Valve is a good thing.

(Pressure. Valve. ha, ha, ha.)

Also, if you have a big Steam friends list and you like your friends to know what you're playing, you can add your D2D games into your Steam games library. Not integrated, of course, but you get the benefits of the Steam overlay and keeping in touch with your buds while you're playing.

[quote name='mokmoof']I agree. I grabbed it for $5 a while ago, and it already felt like a steal at that price.

Any thoughts on Eufloria?[/QUOTE]

Eufloria is fun. It would be easy to compare to Osmos because of the ambient soundtrack, but the gameplay is a little more intense than Osmos. It's a simple RTS/territory-capture game with a great chilled-out soundtrack. It's very beautiful to watch and play.

There is a demo on Steam, or at www.eufloria-game.com If you would like to try before you buy.

Seriously though, you can't go wrong for $5. The original price of $20 might be excessive though.

[quote name='gcorlett']Eufloria is fun. It would be easy to compare to Osmos because of the ambient soundtrack, but the gameplay is a little more intense than Osmos. It's a simple RTS/territory-capture game with a great chilled-out soundtrack. It's very beautiful to watch and play.

There is a demo on Steam, or at www.eufloria-game.com If you would like to try before you buy.

Seriously though, you can't go wrong for $5. The original price of $20 might be excessive though.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, gcorlett. I somehow missed that there was a demo. I'll check it out after work.

Eufloria made an appearance on CO-OP at some time I believe. Looks interesting, but it is hard to buy this and Aaaaah (or whatever it is called)at $5 when both are destined for a Steam indie pack at some point.

[quote name='52club']Eufloria made an appearance on CO-OP at some time I believe. Looks interesting, but it is hard to buy this and Aaaaah (or whatever it is called)at $5 when both are destined for a Steam indie pack at some point.[/QUOTE]
If Steam was preparing a pack for those Indie games, I wouldn't expect it for years. The next Holiday Sale may offer them for $2.50 or $5 each, though.

Either way, the usual CAG scenario applies: Either we wait for a better promotion or pick the game(s) up during this one.

Oh yeah, and shame on D2D for that Aaaa! price upping.

[quote name='52club']Eufloria made an appearance on CO-OP at some time I believe. Looks interesting, but it is hard to buy this and Aaaaah (or whatever it is called)at $5 when both are destined for a Steam indie pack at some point.[/QUOTE]
In my experience, whenever D2D offers a better-than-Steam price on an indie game, Steam will match or beat it a few months later. (And Yet It Moves is one example).

For me, the question is always Will this game be the same price again, or cheaper, before I'll have time to play it?

[quote name='ecliptic66']fuck this website. I'm getting the "There is a 4 item limit on checkout" message too. Piracy ahoy[/QUOTE]

don't steal just cuz u dumb.

[quote name='ecliptic66']fuck this website. I'm getting the "There is a 4 item limit on checkout" message too. Piracy ahoy[/QUOTE]

You get em! You sure showed them who's boss. I bet nobody else tries to pull a stunt like that on you ever again.

You're an idiot.

Hope your CAG account is banned, asshole.

Just a small trick that I picked up from RockPaperShotgun:

If a game is not region-locked, then you can buy that game from any region's D2D site, and thereby (in some cases) save a small amount of money. For example, Eufloria costs $5 on Direct2Drive.com, but 3.50 ($4.68) on Direct2Drive.eu. It's not much, but it will at least, in most cases, cancel out the fact that D2D charges tax.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']I was about to jump on $7.50 GTAIV but came upon this thread on the gog.com forum...

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/my_drm_experience_with_gta_iv/_/1

Is the DRM really that bad or just over exaggerated? I don't mind the GFWL aspect of it but the rest is blah.[/QUOTE]

If you can handle the terribleness that is GFWL than I doubt the Rockstar stuff will bog you down.

I try to avoid GFWL as much as possible when I bought a Fallout 3 DLC pack from it and it locked me out of my original disc based game because I installed it on my D drive instead of the C. I picked up Dirt 2 in these sales not knowing it was GFWL and also had a number of annoyances just to get the dang game to play.

bread's done
Back