Direct2Drive Spring Sale - Week 4

jboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]13894[/IMG-R]Direct2Drive.com is kicking off their first annual Spring Sale featuring four weeks of deals on PC games and game bundles. The Spring Sale runs through May 9, 2010, with new discounted games launching each Monday morning.

In addition to the sale, get $15 in store credit when you spend $75 during the Spring Sale.

d2d.gif
Direct2Drive Spring Sale

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pajama_Man']I was about to jump on $7.50 GTAIV but came upon this thread on the gog.com forum...

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/my_drm_experience_with_gta_iv/_/1

Is the DRM really that bad or just over exaggerated? I don't mind the GFWL aspect of it but the rest is blah.[/QUOTE]

I've avoided this game because of the hoops they make you jump through to play. I really appreciate you posting that GOG thread, so I now know that it's still a horrible experience.

FYI, on steam earlier this month, this news was released:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3695/

The parts that is important here is that (for the Steam version):
1) you don't have to use Rockstar Social Club anymore to play [correction - it still exists but it's all in-game, not a stand-alone application]
2) some of the graphics have been optimized for PC play (shadows in particular)
3) All regional SKUs have been merged into a single SKU (a good sign that it's advancing to less DRM).

However, It's still listed on Steam as using "SecuROM: Unlimited Machine Activations". And Apparently GFWL is still in the mix. I will continue to avoid this game on the PC. I might have to finally get an Xbox to play it though, heh.

Question for anyone who bought Guild Wars Trilogy, do they give you the cd key necessary to register it on ncsoft, then not need to go through direct2drive again to redownload?

[quote name='gcorlett']I've avoided this game because of the hoops they make you jump through to play. I really appreciate you posting that GOG thread, so I now know that it's still a horrible experience.

FYI, on steam earlier this month, this news was released:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3695/

The parts that is important here is that (for the Steam version):
1) you don't have to use Rockstar Social Club anymore to play [correction - it still exists but it's all in-game, not a stand-alone application]
2) some of the graphics have been optimized for PC play (shadows in particular)
3) All regional SKUs have been merged into a single SKU (a good sign that it's advancing to less DRM).

However, It's still listed on Steam as using "SecuROM: Unlimited Machine Activations". And Apparently GFWL is still in the mix. I will continue to avoid this game on the PC. I might have to finally get an Xbox to play it though, heh.[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and jump on the deal and here's my personal experience for those of you whom are still on the fence (I'm leaving out all the extracting and unpacking portions).

1. Download ~13.8 GB
  2. Start autorun,
  3. Install R* Social Club
  4. Input GFWL key/token, installs game
  5. Download 160 MB latest Title Update
  6. Install Title Update which in turns also uninstalls R* Social Club
  7. Register with R* Social Club (although this doesn't seem to be necessary as you can just play in "offline" mode but is required for multiplayer; not 100% sure)
  8. Login R* Social Club at game start up and play.
Keep in mind I already had an GFWL installed and account created so that took off a few steps and headache (from other games). Yes it's a lot of steps to go through but for $7.49 you can't really complain. Game runs "decent" and very playable knowing how much a system hog the game is (everything at medium with all distance settings at 20% and 1680x1050 res).

My system spec.
e8400
8800GT 512 MB
evga 750i FTW
4GB DDR2
Vista Business

SecuROM is just one of those hurdles you can't (legitimately) really avoid anymore in in modern PC gaming and so you just got to live with it and besides it's no where near as bad as StarForce, TAGES or the current UbiSoft scheme (which doesn't even allow you to play offline).

[quote name='ecliptic66']fuck this website. I'm getting the "There is a 4 item limit on checkout" message too. Piracy ahoy[/QUOTE]

This justification for piracy is beyond me I suppose. fuck dem devs because this distributor, who is giving me a deal on some games I want, has a small but reasonable inconvenience on their website.

The clocks a tickin'.... Can't wait to see what's up next. I picked up Manhunt 2 and I passed on The Path (I think its slow speed would just drive me insane!)

BTW, how long do I have to download these games? I still haven't downloaded last week's yet! :D

[quote name='hordak']
BTW, how long do I have to download these games? I still haven't downloaded last week's yet! :D[/QUOTE]

There is no time limit or anything like that.

It works exactly like Steam except it has no client or any client features. Really, none of the big DD sites like GoG, D2D, or GamersGate have any kind of limitations on when / how much you download, unless it's 3rd party DRM imposed.

[quote name='animalspinners']There is no time limit or anything like that.

It works exactly like Steam except it has no client or any client features. Really, none of the big DD sites like GoG, D2D, or GamersGate have any kind of limitations on when / how much you download, unless it's 3rd party DRM imposed.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! For some reason, I thought there used to be a time limit. That also explains why I had trouble finding a FAQ on this on their web site. Thank you!

No problem!

Thanks for your post too, it reminded me I never got around to buying AAAAAAA so I went ahead and did that in the last few minutes :p

This week I will just buy what I want ASAP, in case the prices go up like they did for a game or two (like aaaaaa) last week.

Deals are up -

Good deal on Dawn of War 2, that can be registered onto Steam.

X-Com is real good too, as is the Civ 4 complete bundle for $10.

The rest are kind of meh, though.

Some nice deals in week 3. Saboteur for $15 sounds pretty nice, and I'm tempted by Dawn of War II for the same price. Still haven't played the original which I got for $5 during D2D's 5 year anniversary sale. Stupid backlog.

Everyone who has any interest in Civ IV should pick it up. Great price on an amazing game.

Does anyone have an opinion on Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I've heard about the game series a number of times but don't know too much about them. I thought it was a console franchise, too.

LOL @ the 10 under 10$ section.

East India Company Bundle $19.95
Brothers in Arms Bundle $19.95
Dawn of Discovery: Gold Edition $34.95
Everquest II Sentinel's Fate $19.95
Cities XL Limited Edition $14.95

What the hell? o_O

anyone have first hand experience with The Saboteur?
I have an Xbox360 controller setup with my PC, if the gripes are with the keyboard inputs.
The game looks beautiful in the trailers.

just wanted to say Dawn of War II is a great RTS game, more like action RPG/RTS game. It is both Steam tied and GFLW tied though for those who are curious so achievements can be earned and added to your gamertag/score. Very surprised D2D had this title since it needs the steam client to run haha

either way, fun campaign, I put in ~25 hours into and that was on easy mode. Fun fun game, I really enjoyed the lack of basebuilding but focus on improving your squad heroes with gear drops "wargear" and leveling up through skill trees. And with the chaos rising xpac just released, it's a good start for those curious. Also never played the first DoW but from what I've read this is different in gameplay some, due to the change toward an RPG gameplay mechanic. But loot drops and equips I love. be sure to check sys requirements, graphically it can get heavy.

Im VERY tempted to pick up dawn of discovery, ive had my eye on it a while, but ive been waiting for steam to drop the price or make it a deal of the week. YOu guys think its worth jumping on? Last time i did with an impulse sale (kings bounty) steam had it the NEXT WEEK for 5 dollars left. To buy or not to buy....either way will be picking up civ4 but DoD is screaming my name...worth the risk fellow cags? or tough it out since i made it this far?

[quote name='fokis02']Im VERY tempted to pick up dawn of discovery, ive had my eye on it a while, but ive been waiting for steam to drop the price or make it a deal of the week. YOu guys think its worth jumping on? Last time i did with an impulse sale (kings bounty) steam had it the NEXT WEEK for 5 dollars left. To buy or not to buy....either way will be picking up civ4 but DoD is screaming my name...worth the risk fellow cags? or tough it out since i made it this far?[/QUOTE]

Wait like an hour just because it is classified in the "10 under $10" section, it may have been priced wrong and there is the chance it'll drop. If it does drop farther I might buy it myself :)

I love how 6 of the games in the 10UNDER$10 section are $15 or more. Week 3 has shaped up to be the most underwhelming of them all.

Good show, D2D staff, you've all done a fine job keeping things mediocre.

They had a 75% next to Saboteur earlier, now it's 50%? I would've purchased for 7.50 easily, since I have the ps3 version. It's a fun game though, not sure on the pc version though.

Has anyone played Cities XL? I'm looking for a replacement for SimCity 4, and I thought I heard this was by some of the same developers?

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']They had a 75% next to Saboteur earlier, now it's 50%? I would've purchased for 7.50 easily, since I have the ps3 version. It's a fun game though, not sure on the pc version though.[/QUOTE]

I would've looked into it at $7.50, but at $15 no way. Not sure why they think raising the prices is going to help, especially when people find out it was cheaper earlier.

[quote name='airwalke']LOL @ the 10 under 10$ section.
[/QUOTE]

Now they call it "Antihistamine For Your Gaming Fever" which is even more funny since antihistamines stop runny nose, watery eyes and itching, but do NOTHING for fevers. :)

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']They had a 75% next to Saboteur earlier, now it's 50%? I would've purchased for 7.50 easily, since I have the ps3 version. It's a fun game though, not sure on the pc version though.[/QUOTE]

Not sure when it was 75% off, but right when the prices changed it was 50% and $14.99.

I checked earlier and they had 75% off listed next to Saboteur. This was before the prices went into effect, but I assumed that was going to be the discount.

Like I said guys, the price was never 7.50, but it had a 75% next to it instead of the 50% that's there now.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Torchlight not that good I take it? That or everybody already has it lol[/QUOTE]

It's Diablo II with more colorful and attractive graphics but no multiplayer. If you enjoy point and click RPGs its great, but I'm still playing DII over it.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Torchlight not that good I take it? That or everybody already has it lol[/QUOTE]

Most people already have it from the $5 or even $10 sale on steam.

If you at all like Diablo 1,2 or Titan quest. GET THIS GAME. It is fking awesome

Its like a diablo 1 with alot of the advancements of diablo 2 and others. the whole 1 town deal instead of traveling to new towns with areas.

Torchlight is great but most everyone got it on steam when it was 5 bucks. The steam version does not have activation limits neither does retail. But most the other Digital down load sites have actiaviton limits for tourchlight. Also the steam version uses steamcloud so your saves are available everywhere.

One note retail has a ferret pet available by default.

This "sale" has, thus far, sucked goat balls. At first I was kind of excited, but 3 out 4 weeks bust is no good. Most of these games have been on sale recently and cheaper.

DoWII, Caesar IV, Civ 4 bundle and the East India Company bundle all look like good prices to me. I might get them if it were a Steam sale, and I might get DoWII anyway since Steam takes that CD key.

Hmmm, I already own vanilla Civ 4, which I bought last year for $5 off D2D. Anybody know if I can gift the second copy of vanilla Civ 4 to someone else if I buy it? I would want the expansions but would then have two vanillas. If I can't do that, could I in theory download my original version to someone else's computer and they could have my key and I would just use the complete version?

Forgot this; Is it worth it to buy the complete Civ 4 collection if I already own Civ 4 vanilla by itself? Are the expansions worth 10 bucks?

Altitude for $5 is pretty good; Steam had it for $2.50

Buy if your looking for a different multiplayer experience (namely, class-type gameplays meets Call of Duty 4 ranking/customization with airplanes), get it. Or try the demo at least.

That's a kickass price for the Civ 4 bundle considering it actually has Colonization in it this time. I wasn't super interested in that expansion, but I'm also missing Warlords so I'm definitely considering this. I've put over a couple hundred hours into playing this game.

It takes a while to get into if you are an old school Civ player, but this one has a lot more depth into how you grow you empire than the older ones. I would suggest picking this up for anyone that is even remotely interested.

[quote name='mswierzb']Hmmm, I already own vanilla Civ 4, which I bought last year for $5 off D2D. Anybody know if I can gift the second copy of vanilla Civ 4 to someone else if I buy it? I would want the expansions but would then have two vanillas. If I can't do that, could I in theory download my original version to someone else's computer and they could have my key and I would just use the complete version?

Forgot this; Is it worth it to buy the complete Civ 4 collection if I already own Civ 4 vanilla by itself? Are the expansions worth 10 bucks?[/QUOTE]

Beyond the Sword is a huge expansion that added a lot to the game. Leaders, wonders, scenarioes, etc. it's worth 10 alone.

[quote name='eulogywerd21']This "sale" has, thus far, sucked goat balls. At first I was kind of excited, but 3 out 4 weeks bust is no good.[/QUOTE]

Wait... can you see into the future? We are on week 3, but seems like you know what's going on week 4??? :bouncy::applause:

[quote name='reininop']Beyond the Sword is a huge expansion that added a lot to the game. Leaders, wonders, scenarioes, etc. it's worth 10 alone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation. Any word on being able to gift it to somebody?

Hmm, Saboteur very tempting. Except for the warning that it won't work, and being about $500 in the hole so far this year on games... stupid sales.
Did like Mercenaries 2 quite a bit though. ARGH, decisions.

[quote name='TheVandit']anyone have first hand experience with The Saboteur?
I have an Xbox360 controller setup with my PC, if the gripes are with the keyboard inputs.
The game looks beautiful in the trailers.[/QUOTE]

yeah I've got first hand experience with it. I like the game, the trailers were really nice. I tried it out and it has good story lines. I've only played the 360 version. It's worth the price unless you wanna get it for the 360 either way. It is worth the money to enjoy the videos, story and running around as a irish man killing nazis lol

[quote name='hordak']Wait... can you see into the future? We are on week 3, but seems like you know what's going on week 4??? :bouncy::applause:[/QUOTE]

I said: 3 out of 4 weeks were bust. Never alluded to or stated anything about knowing the future. Learn to read, then process.

[quote name='eulogywerd21']I said: 3 out of 4 weeks were bust. Never alluded to or stated anything about knowing the future. Learn to read, then process.[/QUOTE]

In that case, learn to tell the future, then report back ASAP.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Just bought Dawn of War 2 for $14.95, got the CD-Key, and am now downloading the game thru Steam. :)[/QUOTE]

Enjoy, I think it's totally worth that price. Still trying to decide if I want to bite on the Civ 4 complete set. One reason why I like deals with a timer.

Eulogywerd21, I think you should lighten up a bit. I doubt hordak was being malicious in his/her comment.

bread's done
Back