Do you think oil will hit $150 a barrel by July 4?

Gas price adjusted for inflation

Inflation_adjusted_gasoline_price.jpg

[quote name='ananag112']For those suggesting that nuclear energy is the best solution to our energy problem, what are we going to do with nuclear waste? We really don't have a good alternative energy that is as cheap, reliable, and as efficient as oil.[/quote]

Pollute space.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Pollute space.[/QUOTE]

Its not cheap to launch stuff into space. Also, what happens if there is a spill or something goes wrong when its launched and it falls back down to earth? Also, we don't know what effects it may have in space.

It looks like the cheapest way to do this is to invest in R&D for time travel, then go back to 1918 and buy all their gas at $0.25 a gallon.

Less than $4 to fill up? I would orgasm.

[quote name='ananag112']For those suggesting that nuclear energy is the best solution to our energy problem, what are we going to do with nuclear waste? We really don't have a good alternative energy that is as cheap, reliable, and as efficient as oil.[/QUOTE]

I think the soultion is obvious.....New Jersey.

It went up $11 in one day and we are only $12 away. I think it's highly likely that it will hit $200 by the 4th if not higher.

Thank you Bush, you will most likely be rightfully blamed on thousands of American deaths because we will freeze to death without heating oil.

I miss 79 cent gas, that was only 10 years ago.

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']They have already made a place in nevada where they plan on burying it.[/QUOTE]

IF it goes through. I don't see it going through. They've been arguing about this crap for the past ten years. They can't seem to get the safety issues down.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Thank you Bush, you will most likely be rightfully blamed on thousands of American deaths because we will freeze to death without heating oil.
[/quote]:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

[quote name='tholly']But, at least in the US, we can still say we have gas that is A LOT CHEAPER than Europe......[/QUOTE]

True, but most here are forced to drive long distances because our towns and public transportation systems were poorly planned.

I'm in the party that this price is partially, if not completely due to the Iraq war. As the other guy pointed out a chart, high oil prices have generally been due to wars. The current Iraq war in specific has more than tripled the price of oil in the last 5 years. The first Iraq war we had also saw a high spike. The Iran-Contra hostage crisis anyone? We were damn near close to war, and what did we see in the early 80's? What about Vietnam and our crisis of the 70's? Need I go on?

Maybe its just close minded thinking, but this freak out always happens whenever something goes way up in price. I'm in the party of stop stressing yourself out.

I think it will exceed $150 a barrel but drop down after the holiday back to something far more reasonable. Right now it's at about $138 a barrel. So, going to $150 doesn't seem far fetched. However, I see it dropping as low as $125 as we head towards fall.

$200 by July 4th is hard to believe. The prices really only go up after drastic bad news is reported. And it just so happened that on Thursday, the Europe bank head honcho guy said he wouldn't raise interest rates, which hurt the dollar, and on friday, the report on unemployment came out, which pretty much killed everything for the day; the stock market, oil prices, etc. Unless those Nigerian rebels wage a full on war on that oil pipeline, and Israel invades Iran next week, I doubt prices will skyrocket again this week. $150 by the 4th of July seems likely, but it would take A LOT of bad luck and bad news to make it to $200.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:[/quote]

You must be voting for McCain in November because if you vote for Obama the terrorists win.

What I said was no different than Bush's Bullshit.

[quote name='btw1217']Gas will go down once this war ends.

oilsince90.png

Or so I hope.

.[/quote]

the war is more of a coincidence rather then the reason for gas going up in price. 2 major contributors is that they are drilling for less oil now. They cut back on there production a while back. The major infleunce (besides the weak dollar) is that china is buying up a shitload of oil. We didn't have that competition to buy the oil before.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You must be voting for McCain in November because if you vote for Obama the terrorists win.

What I said was no different than Bush's Bullshit.[/quote]
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

So, you think, in the year 2008, thousands are going to freeze to death because of expensive oil? Man, if that's the case, imagine the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who died during those winters in the early 1900's WITHOUT heating oil!

Oh............wait a minute.

Last time I filled up, I think about a week and a half ago, I paid a tad over $4.00 for premium. I'm in Colorado.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

So, you think, in the year 2008, thousands are going to freeze to death because of expensive oil? Man, if that's the case, imagine the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who died during those winters in the early 1900's WITHOUT heating oil!

Oh............wait a minute.[/quote]

Oh wait a minute.... you are a dumbfuck.

In the early 1900s people had fireplaces, and used firewood.

Let's see how many people still use wood to heat their house? Oh yeah next to no boby!

[quote name='bigdaddy']Oh wait a minute.... you are a dumbfuck.

In the early 1900s people had fireplaces, and used firewood.

Let's see how many people still use wood to heat their house? Oh yeah next to no boby![/quote]Explain the big rise in the sale of pellet stoves then, Einstein.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You must be voting for McCain in November because if you vote for Obama the terrorists win.

What I said was no different than Bush's Bullshit.[/quote]

McCain=Bush.

If you like the way gas prices are, vote Bush '08

love how people think Gas is going to 5 or 6 bucks per gallon.

If gas ever hits 5 bucks or 6 bucks Your going to see the nation just shut down....

Say it takes 2 gallons of gas to get to work each way...... (20 bucks at 5) 24 bucks at 6.

If someone makes 8 bucks an hour for 8 hours 64 bucks. take taxes out will leave you around 40 bucks. take gas away

take home pay 20 bucks (gas 5)
take home pay 16 bucks (gas 6)

sorry but your not going to see people willing to work for 2 bucks per hour.

hell if it takes 4 gallons each way.... 40 bucks to 48 bucks in gas you would be working for FREE.

5.25 is my breaking point

[quote name='BillyBob29']Last time I filled up, I think about a week and a half ago, I paid a tad over $4.00 for premium. I'm in Colorado.[/quote]

Why do you buy premium? I haven't seen premium for less than $4 in at least 4-6 weeks.

[quote name='slidecage']love how people think Gas is going to 5 or 6 bucks per gallon.

If gas ever hits 5 bucks or 6 bucks Your going to see the nation just shut down....

Say it takes 2 gallons of gas to get to work each way...... (20 bucks at 5) 24 bucks at 6.

If someone makes 8 bucks an hour for 8 hours 64 bucks. take taxes out will leave you around 40 bucks. take gas away

take home pay 20 bucks (gas 5)
take home pay 16 bucks (gas 6)

sorry but your not going to see people willing to work for 2 bucks per hour.

hell if it takes 4 gallons each way.... 40 bucks to 48 bucks in gas you would be working for FREE.

5.25 is my breaking point[/quote]

You would have said the same thing ago 10 years ago about $2 or hell if it hit *gasp* $3 a gallon. The thing is there is NO other alternative we either buy gas, or we die. Blunt, but true.

[quote name='KillJoi99']You would have said the same thing ago 10 years ago about $2 or hell if it hit *gasp* $3 a gallon. The thing is there is NO other alternative we either buy gas, or we die. Blunt, but true.[/QUOTE]

There are alternatives. Bikes, buses, trains, and walking. Granted not everyone has alternatives but there are some. I personally have been doing a lot of walking lately, especially to the grocery store. Once I get a bike I will be riding it everywhere I can.

EDIT: And if someone is working somewhere that is 40 miles away (20 mpg X 2 gallons) for minimum wage then that their problem.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Why do you buy premium? I haven't seen premium for less than $4 in at least 4-6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Um because tons of cars are recommended only for premium?

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']There are alternatives. Bikes, buses, trains, and walking. Granted not everyone has alternatives but there are some. I personally have been doing a lot of walking lately, especially to the grocery store. Once I get a bike I will be riding it everywhere I can.[/quote]

I walk home from work personally, but Americans are pretty fat and lazy. And what about all the office workers of America living out in the Burbz and having to travel 20 miles to work. (both of my parents, along with millions of others.

[quote name='ananag112']For those suggesting that nuclear energy is the best solution to our energy problem, what are we going to do with nuclear waste? We really don't have a good alternative energy that is as cheap, reliable, and as efficient as oil.[/QUOTE]
Fast breeder reactors. Conventional nuclear reactors only use a small percentage of the potential energy in the nuclear material, which is why its such nasty stuff. These newer reactors can keep re-using that same fuel until its almost completely spent, as a result, the waste produced is much less radioactive for much less time. These types of reactors are being used successfully in Japan and France. About 80% of France's electricity and 30+% of Japan's are generated by nuclear power.

With what little waste you have left, you can seal it up and drop it into a deeper part of the ocean. Or bury it. It wouldn't be as big a deal at this point.

If you want to achieve true energy independence as well as reduce greenhouse emissions, looking only at transportation is shortsighted. You have to get off of coal, gas, and oil for electricity, which are your alternatives. Solar, hydro, and wind only work in Sim City, they're impractical for the sheer volume of energy we need to generate.

Nuclear power is much cheaper, ~$10 of nuclear fuel gets you energy equal to 3 barrels of oil, do the math. Cheaper energy benefits the economy. The reduced demand for oil would also offset some of these high costs we're seeing now.

[quote name='dafoomie']Fast breeder reactors. Conventional nuclear reactors only use a small percentage of the potential energy in the nuclear material, which is why its such nasty stuff. These newer reactors can keep re-using that same fuel until its almost completely spent, as a result, the waste produced is much less radioactive for much less time. These types of reactors are being used successfully in Japan and France. About 80% of France's electricity and 30+% of Japan's are generated by nuclear power.

With what little waste you have left, you can seal it up and drop it into a deeper part of the ocean. Or bury it. It wouldn't be as big a deal at this point.

If you want to achieve true energy independence as well as reduce greenhouse emissions, looking only at transportation is shortsighted. You have to get off of coal, gas, and oil for electricity, which are your alternatives. Solar, hydro, and wind only work in Sim City, they're impractical for the sheer volume of energy we need to generate.

Nuclear power is much cheaper, ~$10 of nuclear fuel gets you energy equal to 3 barrels of oil, do the math. Cheaper energy benefits the economy. The reduced demand for oil would also offset some of these high costs we're seeing now.[/quote]

Yes, nuclear power is my recommendation. Nice, informative post, dafoomie.

+1

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']There are alternatives. Bikes, buses, trains, and walking. Granted not everyone has alternatives but there are some. I personally have been doing a lot of walking lately, especially to the grocery store. Once I get a bike I will be riding it everywhere I can.

EDIT: And if someone is working somewhere that is 40 miles away (20 mpg X 2 gallons) for minimum wage then that their problem.[/QUOTE]

This this this SO this.
If there's ANOTHER way for you to get too and from somewhere w/o driving..just do it.

[quote name='KillJoi99']I walk home from work personally, but Americans are pretty fat and lazy. And what about all the office workers of America living out in the Burbz and having to travel 20 miles to work. (both of my parents, along with millions of others.[/QUOTE]

I live in the burbz. I work in Philly. There's SEVERAL different busses that go into the city as well as a train. I take the train into Philly everyday.
1-2x a week I work in the Jersey office, and it's literally 10 mins from my apartment. i don't even drive there. My Apt is around the corner from the train, and that train goes into Philly AND it goes to where the NJ office is located..and I take the train for ONE stop (LOL) and walk for about 5 minutes and I'm there.

The people there think I'm weird since I don't just drive there, :roll:, but it only takes me MAYBE 10 more minutes then it would driving.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Why do you buy premium? I haven't seen premium for less than $4 in at least 4-6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Because I drive a high performance car that requires premium.

I do what I can to keep my miles driven per week down but it's tough when the roundtrip to work is 58 miles.

I'm moving closer to work soon, though, and it will lower that trip to four miles. :D

[quote name='lilboo']This this this SO this.
If there's ANOTHER way for you to get too and from somewhere w/o driving..just do it.

I live in the burbz. I work in Philly. There's SEVERAL different busses that go into the city as well as a train. I take the train into Philly everyday.
1-2x a week I work in the Jersey office, and it's literally 10 mins from my apartment. i don't even drive there. My Apt is around the corner from the train, and that train goes into Philly AND it goes to where the NJ office is located..and I take the train for ONE stop (LOL) and walk for about 5 minutes and I'm there.

The people there think I'm weird since I don't just drive there, :roll:, but it only takes me MAYBE 10 more minutes then it would driving.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Because I drive a high performance car that requires premium.[/quote]

If you have money for a car like that, you should be able to afford gas how it is. If not sell and buy a hybrid.

[quote name='KillJoi99']So...you work in both Philly and NJ. Well thats fucking Jersey, one of the biggest metropolitan areas in America. We live a 30 min drive away from Cleveland, theres no buses that get remotely close, actually the busline will MAYBE go out 15 miles from the city. There are no trains, rapids yes, but those are only IN the city.

My point behind this is not all cases are like yours and we can still blame the shitty government for not developing other fuels. And mass transit options are only widely available in very few regions of America.[/QUOTE]
Speaking from personal experience, the RTA has Park-N-Ride as far south as Medina County. Sure, Ohio blows for public transportation, but it's not impossible.

'Course, if you're east or west of Cleveland, you're screwed. Hope you enjoy I-480.

[quote name='KillJoi99']You would have said the same thing ago 10 years ago about $2 or hell if it hit *gasp* $3 a gallon. The thing is there is NO other alternative we either buy gas, or we die. Blunt, but true.[/QUOTE]

no we will just stop working. some people have already left their jobs. If gas its 5 Expect a major amount of people to stop. 6 bucks you might as well say we are all #$#$#$#

after this last pay raise im good to 5.25..... anything more then 5.25 im quitting my job. I take ever extra hour i can work right now and putting every single penny in the bank so i will have cash to fall back on

It's $4.19 here in Northwest Indiana.

We need to get the economy good again. With interest rates so low, people are investing in oil, which will bring the price up. Once interest rates go up, people will opt out, and gas prices will go down.

We need to fix the economy.

More and more people just stay the fuck home because the trip itself costs too damn much. They'll raise gas for sure though, because the 4th is on a Friday and makes it potentially a bigger vacation weekend than Memorial Day weekend traditionally is. Might be the only time some people get out of town all year.

Here's an idea for a protest: stop mowing your lawns until gas goes below $3 a gallon. One of the most effective forms of protest is an eyesore. Then refuse en masse to pay the city if they mow it for you and try to stick you with a bill.

Lots of towns will fine if you don't keep your lawn up.

p.s. to the person who said $8 was "minimum wage": Chicago supposedly has the highest gas prices of the nation. I'll tell you right now that Northwest Indiana hits a little higher. Minimum wage in Indiana is $5.85/hr. Isn't that crazy?!

How come when anyone says anything about America needing to become self-sufficient on oil, there are idiots who start ranting about how we would run out of oil sooner or later if we drilled and built new refineries? Where do these geniuses come from? Of course if we continued on the same path we have been for the past 50 years we would eventually run out. The point of bringing our own oil out of the ground is not that we have an endless, untapped supply. The point is to stop funding terrorism (Iran, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela), as well as to alleviate the artificial "demand" increases in price while we work on alternative energy solutions. GM has already slashed SUV and truck production permanently. All auto makers are working on $150mpg+ hybrids.

The retards who think anyone who wants to drill ANWR, the Gulf coast, the Intermountain West, or anywhere else in this country has to be notihng more than a fat Republican tied to oil investments, just looking to line their own pockets need to go kill themselves. People who want to drill here just want to provide a means to avoid $10/gal gas before we are able to get switched ovwer to more efficient cars and other energies.

I only buy Sinclair gas. Most of the stuff comes out of Wyoming and Utah. Down with terror oil companies!

[quote name='projectmayhem101']Lots of towns will fine if you don't keep your lawn up.

p.s. to the person who said $8 was "minimum wage": Chicago supposedly has the highest gas prices of the nation. I'll tell you right now that Northwest Indiana hits a little higher. Minimum wage in Indiana is $5.85/hr. Isn't that crazy?![/QUOTE]

Well Federal minimum wage will increase July 24th to $6.55 and then increase again July 24th, 2009 to $7.25. I thought minimum wage was already above $7 thats why I made that comment. $5.85 is crazy.

[quote name='KillJoi99']If you have money for a car like that, you should be able to afford gas how it is. If not sell and buy a hybrid.[/QUOTE]

Which is why you haven't seen me actually complain about gas prices in this thread or any other thread, I've just been commenting on the energy situation in general. Gas would have to be around $10 a gallon before it would force me to rethink my driving/auto choices.

bread's done
Back