Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 TRAILER

So, I know Knight Enchanter has been getting a lot of love, but has anyone selected the Rift Mage specialization for their Herald?  If so, what do you think?  

I was all set to go KE, but as I looked it over and thought about it, I am swaying back to RM.  I remember in Origins I choose a Battlemage(?) specialization and at first I thought it was awesome to have my Warden able to wade right into the thick of the fight, but it got old after a bit.  I think I'd rather be standing back slinging spells.

Should the various service medals be sold or not? No warning about them like with the research materials, but someone on Twitter told Shipwreck not to sell them but didn't know why, just that he had "read that."
Yeah that's made me hesitant to use the sell all button because I want the research stuff.

I worked Thursday night and Friday but when I get home from BB tomorrow I'm sinking back into this game, so missing it right now lol.

Yeah and dat Cassandra European accent. :p

Yeah that's made me hesitant to use the sell all button because I want the research stuff.

I worked Thursday night and Friday but when I get home from BB tomorrow I'm sinking back into this game, so missing it right now lol.

Yeah and dat Cassandra European accent. :p
But the service medals are ok to sell? Just wanted to make sure.

Argh. My wife's whole family has been staying at our house for days, and I haven't been able to start my second playthrough yet. There are whole zones my first Inquisitor never even visited! Party members I barely spoke to!

So I know there's been a fair amount of book discussion in this thread... If I wanted to start with one DA book, what's my best bet? Masked Empire?

Yeah go with Asunder first, then Masked Empire. Then go with Last Flight. I'd you enjoy those and want some solid backstory for Origins, then read The Stolen Throne and lastly The Calling. I enjoyed them all very much.

Quick question - is playing Dragon Age 1 and 2 required to understand this game?
Probably not as strictly required as playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 before 3. But there are a lot of returning story elements, particularly from 2. I think the stuff that happens in Inquisition is just not going to mean as much to you. But it's not like you won't be able to follow the plot.

Quick question - is playing Dragon Age 1 and 2 required to understand this game?
If you don't mind spending a lot of time using the "who are you" and "what did you do before [in previous games]" dialogue trees, I think you'll be ok. There are some nods and reveals you wont get, but maybe if you ever play 1 or 2 you will go oh..

Deciding if I want to romance Iron Bull or Cassandra. I mean Iron Bull is well awesome, but seems to lack the personality that Cassandra has.

Also need to decide soon what second spec I want on my mage. Right now he is fire and I wanna keep fire.

I intended on romancing Cassandra, but she and I don't exactly see eye to eye on some of the decision points.  I may have to go with Josephine or fly solo.  Make Skyhold my bachelor pad, fill it with an air hockey table and cover the walls in sci fi posters. 

Deciding if I want to romance Iron Bull or Cassandra. I mean Iron Bull is well awesome, but seems to lack the personality that Cassandra has.

Also need to decide soon what second spec I want on my mage. Right now he is fire and I wanna keep fire.
If you like the fire spells you might want to try upgrading barriers. There is a perk in the fire spell tree to use your active barrier to boost fire spell damage.

If you like the fire spells you might want to try upgrading barriers. There is a perk in the fire spell tree to use your active barrier to boost fire spell damage.
Yeah, I meant later on in the game when you select a specialization like
Necromancer, etc.
That's what I am trying to decide on. I like the fire tree, but I am willing to spec however needed for my character to become a huge damage dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I intended on romancing Cassandra, but she and I don't exactly see eye to eye on some of the decision points. I may have to go with Josephine or fly solo. Make Skyhold my bachelor pad, fill it with an air hockey table and cover the walls in sci fi posters.
Who says you have to see eye to eye with your significant other on all of your decisions ;)??

Yeah, I meant later on in the game when you select a specialization like
Necromancer, etc.
That's what I am trying to decide on. I like the fire tree, but I am willing to spec however needed for my character to become a huge damage dealer.
Ah, sorry about that. I thought you were just using "specialization" to refer to the skill trees. On my one play through so far I wasn't enamored by the mage specializations and just ended up dumping all my points into Fire/Spirit. Fire mine + Full barrier with the Chaotic Focus doesn't disappoint ( as long as someone stand on the mine.).

I finally started on DA: I this weekend, only making it past Wrath Of Heaven as well as making it to Haven. I spent close to a couple of hours just walking around Haven and being amazed at how damned big it is. Spoke with a number of the party member characters as well and was also amazed at how good the dialogue it is.

Playing a female elf mage as a character. Quite interesting in the NPC interactions as an elf this time around.

So I know there's been a fair amount of book discussion in this thread... If I wanted to start with one DA book, what's my best bet? Masked Empire?
As others have said, do Asunder first, then Masked Empire. I thought they were both good reads, though Asunder > Masked Empire IMO. Not huge reads either, though they're been cheaper as Kindle books than physical books, if you're looking to save on either one.

Yeah go with Asunder first, then Masked Empire. Then go with Last Flight. I'd you enjoy those and want some solid backstory for Origins, then read The Stolen Throne and lastly The Calling. I enjoyed them all very much.
Any order in preference to read between those three of Last Flight, Stolen Throne and The Calling?

Of Last Flight, Stolen Throne and The Calling....I'd go with the Stolen Throne. You can't really read calling without reading Throne first. Last flight seems like a stand alone, unless there are ramifications in Inquisition that I'm not familiar with yet. Stolen throne helped me make sense of what was happening in Origins and I wish I read it before playing the game. It drags a bit, but it's rich in detail.

One of Amazon's deals today was DA:I for $45 but they didn't discount the Deluxe Edition so I'm glad I went for it day 1. I went to family in a non-capped internet city, lol, for Thanksgiving so I was able to download the game update and extras finally.

Went Necro on my Mage. Knight Enchanter sounded boring to play, and didn't care for Rift Mage. Necro is fun as hell though, throw your dots, wait 10 seconds, watch enemies explode.

I went from some quests I could not do yet due to enemies being a bit overpowered last night to I breezed through them with Necromancer.

After much deliberation, i ended up going with Knight Enchanter.  It is fun, but I play again as a mage I will go with the Necro specialization because Walking Bomb is my favorite fantasy RPG ability ever. 

Went to the Winter Palace last night and man...was that a blast.  
 I loved meeting up with the characters from Masked Empire.  I skipped a lot of dialogue with the Grand Duke because from the book, I already knew that he was a total bastard.  And I was grinning from ear to to ear when Morrigan showed up.  Overall, this mission very much reminded me of Kasumi's Stolen Memory from ME2, which I have always enjoyed.  The set up and the nature of your tasks were similar, but executed 10 times better.

Which one? And can I buy one back hours later?
Sorry it took so long to reply, haven't gotten to play any, but it's called the Fereldan Medallion of Service and you need it for the Fereldan History requisition.

Ok quick question, I can't find Varric in Skyhold? Where is he, need to talk to him for one of the quest?

i-MgkfbbF-1050x10000.jpg

Come on BioWare, we all want a Harding romance! :lol:

Damn, Ryu, that's some funny stuff.

I'm surprised that there isn't such a comic from ME1/2/3 as well. :D

Some other amusing bits:

www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718650-dragon-age-inquisition/70695319

Here's the OP from the above:

I am tired of Bioware's PR SJW bull****. I thought they went too far before with DR2 and ME3, but this? This is too far. Someone has to say something, someone's gotta speak for the fanbase. Guess that's gonna have to be me.

Men get a whopping choice of 2 women, one of them isn't even a real party member and the other is... not everyone's type. Are you kidding me with this garbage Bioware? Are you forgetting who your real target audience is? The Albino asexual monk from Mars won't give a rat's ass if you have a love interest that caters to he/she, but the straight dudes (ie the vast majority of people playing your game) will mind if you decide to **** them over like you just did.

Women get a choice of 4 eligible dudes, and just as many women as we do. That is so freaking unfair, I don't even know where to begin. Oh wait, I do, it's by saying "Why?" I'll tell you right now, the people you are trying to cater to don't give a ****. Those numbers should be the other way around. Guys should get that many LI's not girls.

Fool me once Bioware, shame on you. Fool me two times, shame on me. Fool me thrice? Well, no dice. I'm done. With you and your games. Effective immediately, I am an ex-bioware fan. I hate what they've become. They've forgotten about the fans that built them up, the fans that truly mattered. Now they are slaves to social media and political correctness. I can't handle it anymore, the constant betrayal is just too much. I'm not going to take it anymore and neither should you.

Um, well, that's some crazy. I for one think the current set-up is a lot better than what they did for DA2 with the "player-sexual" love interests. BioWare writes specific characters with specific personalities and histories, why shouldn't they have specific romantic preferences too. It just feels a lot more authentic. If a particular game doesn't feature someone that matches your exact preferences, oh well, can't win 'em all, right?

Every female love interest in the entire Mass Effect series is a brunette. What about those of us who prefer blondes? I DEMAND REPRESENTATION BIOWARE! :lol:

As for Inquisition, Cassandra is my waifu. Josephine does absolutely nothing for me. If Cass wasn't in the picture I probably would have gone for Dorian. Mustache aside, dude is just awesome.

I demand a Harding romance DLC though.

Um, well, that's some crazy. I for one think the current set-up is a lot better than what they did for DA2 with the "player-sexual" love interests. BioWare writes specific characters with specific personalities and histories, why shouldn't they have specific romantic preferences too. It just feels a lot more authentic. If a particular game doesn't feature someone that matches your exact preferences, oh well, can't win 'em all, right?

Every female love interest in the entire Mass Effect series is a brunette. What about those of us who prefer blondes? I DEMAND REPRESENTATION BIOWARE! :lol:

As for Inquisition, Cassandra is my waifu. Josephine does absolutely nothing for me. If Cass wasn't in the picture I probably would have gone for Dorian. Mustache aside, dude is just awesome.

I demand a Harding romance DLC though.
Yvonne is blonde irl so it's win/win

Protip: if you are on Raptr, for 500 points you can redeem for a DA:I dlc "gift pack" promo thing from AMD. It comes with a steed, an accessory and an MP chest. I don't know if it works on console, but I just redeemed the code on Bioware's site, so we'll see.

Update-looks like this is PC only. That sucks because the mount looks pretty cool.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/AMD_Radeon™_In-Game_Gift_Pack

From what I had seen in the LI reveals that happened before the game released, female elf seems to give you the most LI options out there. ;)  Part of why I went with it, though my Warden in DA: O was an elf, so I wanted to do that this time in DA: I.

Though I agree, that dude on GameFAQs is way the hell out there on crazy.   DA2's matchings were a bit too pre-picked, so this time around, it looks like a better option.  DA: O had more options, in fact.   ME3 did it better than ME2, as well.

Protip: if you are on Raptr, for 500 points you can redeem for a DA:I dlc "gift pack" promo thing from AMD. It comes with a steed, an accessory and an MP chest. I don't know if it works on console, but I just redeemed the code on Bioware's site, so we'll see.

Update-looks like this is PC only. That sucks because the mount looks pretty cool.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/AMD_Radeon™_In-Game_Gift_Pack
That totally sucks, I've got points on that site burning my ... ahh laptop.

Congratulations, Sera, for being the first DA companion I absolutely detest. Annoying as hell, I cannot wait to get a few playthroughs in so I can then cheat and look up how to kill her/force her to leave. I realize I can reject her offer to join up and it seems you can even have the option of making her leave after recruiting early but most companions have a crisis moment or decision that leads to her death so I feel either would be more fitting. That and she gives you some war room jobs so kinda have to have her around for a bit to get them.

I dunno, she not that bad. Every so often she says something funny and its pretty progressive of Bioware to include a mentally handicapped companion who is romanceable.

I just got to Skyhold and I am so glad they had that scene with Varric and Cassandra, I was rolling. I was scared they'd just brush it off with a few offhand comments regarding the thing Varric and her fight about but they definitely knew we'd be wondering how Cassandra would react once finding out the truth and it's just how I envisioned it lol.

Congratulations, Sera, for being the first DA companion I absolutely detest. Annoying as hell, I cannot wait to get a few playthroughs in so I can then cheat and look up how to kill her/force her to leave. I realize I can reject her offer to join up and it seems you can even have the option of making her leave after recruiting early but most companions have a crisis moment or decision that leads to her death so I feel either would be more fitting. That and she gives you some war room jobs so kinda have to have her around for a bit to get them.
The same conversation tree that has the flirt option also holds the option to have her leave the Inquisition. If you want video of it, lookup Giant Bomb's QL of the game.

looking at getting dragon age inquisition soon and this will be my first time playing the series.  What i want to know is getting the deluxe edition worth the extra $10 for a beginner like me? 

I honestly don't know. Most of the gang around here are hardcore dragon age/bioware fans, so the deluxe was a must-get. But you probably wouldn't miss it if you didn't buy that version. The soundtrack was nice, though.

looking at getting dragon age inquisition soon and this will be my first time playing the series. What i want to know is getting the deluxe edition worth the extra $10 for a beginner like me?
I agree with Chubby: Unless you want the soundtrack, the deluxe edition is not critical. What is critical is to familiarize yourself with the basics of the DA-Universe. Kotaku posted a great article a while back:

http://kotaku.com/a-beginners-guide-to-all-things-dragon-age-1658487212

But do not be too intimidated by history, because I think the game itself does a decent job of being accessible to new players. You'll have plenty of chances in-game to dig and investigate the history of Thedas and what happened in previous games if you want.

I just read through that whole thing for the first time and aside from some minor mistakes in the details (Chant of Light, not Chant of Andraste; the current Divine is Justinia V, not Justinia I; etc.) it's a really great summary of the world and backstory.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday in fact, my brother-in-law watched me play a little of Inquisition and of course asked me "what is the game about". I'm like, uh... um... Where do I begin? :lol: Very difficult to sum up the premise of Inquisition in a sentence.

As for the deluxe edition, after playing the game I would say that the bonus content is no big deal at all. There are so many mounts and thrones that the DE ones kind of get lost in the mix. Same for the preorder weapons and armor really. They may be the best stuff for your class at the very beginning of the game but quickly just become one option among dozens. I would only worry about it if you consider yourself a Dragon Age completionist.

I bought both _Asunder_ and _The Masked Empire_, and I ended up starting Empire first just because it plays directly into the Halamshiral mission in Inquisition and I was interested in the background to that. About a quarter of the way in so far, and I'm enjoying it greatly. This is the first time I've really delved into any "expanded universe" stuff for a video game (not even for Mass Effect), so it's a new nerd frontier for me. :D

Glad you're enjoying it, Ryuu! These two books are the best examples of EU tie in that I've ever seen. The way they are weaved in and through both the books and the games is really something.

cool thanks for the advice guys and just placed my order on best buy for the regular addition along with Forza Horizon 2 and Farcry 4

bread's done
Back