Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 TRAILER

The character creator is pretty amazing. But, it can be deceiving before you get out into the main game.
erma+6.jpg
. Seriously, that's what my first character looked like, just with horns because she was Qunari.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just keep making characters that are almost perfect except for one thing. My human is great, except... his eyelashes are too thick. It sounds weird and it's subtle but it makes him look a biiit feminine and of course every time I notice it it's the only thing I can see. It almost looks like he has mascara on.

16030075632_3de28dff63_o.png

My elf has these white lines below her eyebrows. I'm not even sure if it's a trick of the light and the way her brow is shaped, or I somehow managed to accidentally give her white makeup there, but they're almost always really noticeable. Except of course in the character creator. I also made her scar just a little too think and I wish I could lighten the intensity just a bit.

15411114403_65dc8d575f_o.png

Just tiny adjustments and they'd be exactly what I wanted! :/

Yeah, its really solid. Any character creator that will let you put a beard (or stubble in this case) on a dwarf woman can be accurately described as "robust".  I especially appreciate how you can move the scars around on your character to get a somewhat unique pattern to them. Outside of a lack of hair styles I can't complain too much.

Ryu, I kind of had a similar problem with the under brow makeup except to the opposite effect I tried to make it light so it appeared to be a tanline, but its just not visible.

Has anyone spent much time in multiplayer? As someone who played the living poop out of ME3 MP, I had high hopes for DAMP, but I'm not feeling it so far.

I've been playing this sparingly so I can enjoy it more and so far I think I've made it last decent since getting it at launch. There seems to be some mixed statements on another forum I'm on so I'll ask here...

Just finished up business in Orlais with the Empress, how much longer is the game? It seems like I have a good bit left but some said I only have a couple main quests left wtf...Also, is the Grey Wardens/Hawke storyline contribute toward the main questline or can that be done anytime?

I've been playing this sparingly so I can enjoy it more and so far I think I've made it last decent since getting it at launch. There seems to be some mixed statements on another forum I'm on so I'll ask here...

Just finished up business in Orlais with the Empress, how much longer is the game? It seems like I have a good bit left but some said I only have a couple main quests left wtf...Also, is the Grey Wardens/Hawke storyline contribute toward the main questline or can that be done anytime?
You are near the end in terms of the length of the main questline, yeah. "Here Lies the Abyss" is part of the main story.

You are near the end in terms of the length of the main questline, yeah. "Here Lies the Abyss" is part of the main story.
Damn. They skimped us a story in order to make these big ass maps that take 3 hours to traverse. Lame. Origins was like 65-75 hours for gods sake. This thing is probably around DA2's story length then, ugh.

Yeah my overall feeling on the game is that maybe they didn't strike the right balance between the story missions and the open-ended exploration. I would have gladly given up some of the latter if there could have been more of the former.

Yeah my overall feeling on the game is that maybe they didn't strike the right balance between the story missions and the open-ended exploration. I would have gladly given up some of the latter if there could have been more of the former.
Since you've made it through to the end, what's your take on a streamlined playthrough length?

I haven't had a chance to touch it since almost a couple of weeks ago and I just made it to the Hinterlands for a couple of hours' worth so far. I'm probably just going to plod through and grind up a bit in that area, since I think I'm just level 4 at the moment with just the initial characters.

Since you've made it through to the end, what's your take on a streamlined playthrough length?
Hard to say. I finished in 48 hours, and a lot of that was sidequesting, but some amount of that sidequesting is required to open up the next story mission. I would bet that if you advanced the story as fast as possible and only gathered as much Power as was strictly required to unlock the next mandatory mission, you could finish in less than half of that time.

Hard to say. I finished in 48 hours, and a lot of that was sidequesting, but some amount of that sidequesting is required to open up the next story mission. I would bet that if you advanced the story as fast as possible and only gathered as much Power as was strictly required to unlock the next mandatory mission, you could finish in less than half of that time.
I think when I did DA: O and did everything in the game, I think I clocked in at 60-65 hours. DA2 was a bit less from what I remember, so I think that was 50-55 hours for me, again, with doing everything.

I'm sure we'll hear from Tha X or someone else in here with a streamlined playthrough for a "finished in only X hours" statement once it's clear what is needed to open up the next areas.

Me, I'm probably going to be 200+ hours when I finally get it completed, since I know I'm always wanting to do a complete run through the first time. :whee:

I'm sure if you try to do everything you'll spend 100+ hours on the game, easy. At the end of my 48 hour playthrough there were still entire regions of the world I hadn't even been to, and I had only made friends with three or four of the companions (and unfortunately finishing the main story closes off companion quests, so finish those first if you want to). You can keep playing after the end of the story so I'm still going around killing dragons and whatever.

The game just felt a little awkward at times; like, Skyrim is Skyrim, the whole game is designed around plunking you down in the middle of this world and telling you to just go do what you want to do, no pressure. Dragon Age games aren't exactly the same experience as that, but with Inquisition it sometimes felt like they designed two separate games, a Dragon Age game and an open world RPG, and between major story missions it's like, now take a break from the Dragon Age game you're playing to go play some Skyrim instead, then after a little while it'll be time for Dragon Age again.

Lol so I just hit the 150 mark and yeah I believe I'm nearing the ending.

Also I discovered Dragon Island and it didn't go well haha.

I'm sure we'll hear from Tha X or someone else in here with a streamlined playthrough for a "finished in only X hours" statement once it's clear what is needed to open up the next areas. :whee:
Oh, I'm the worst person in the world to ask about those kind of run-throughs. I'm still the guy who hasn't skipped through a line of non-Kaidan dialog in Mass Effect 1-3 even in my [undisclosed number] completed playthroughs. I never finished those games in less than 30 hours, and I doubt I'll ever finish a run of Inquisition in less than 90. Skipping sidequests/conversation pieces (where Kaidan isn't talking) don't compute with my brain.

I'm guessing that with the Influence/Power exploit, you don't even have to close rifts and complete sidequests to gain the necessary amount of Power to unlock the big missions. I ended up with something like 189 Power when I tried out the bug on my current character.

Oh, I'm the worst person in the world to ask about those kind of run-throughs. I'm still the guy who hasn't skipped through a line of non-Kaidan dialog in Mass Effect 1-3 even in my [undisclosed number] completed playthroughs. I never finished those games in less than 30 hours, and I doubt I'll ever finish a run of Inquisition in less than 90. Skipping sidequests/conversation pieces (where Kaidan isn't talking) don't compute with my brain.
Kaidan still loves you, X. :D

Past 162 hours and I think I'm getting to the end. Is it called the
Final Piece?
I'm doing a lot of side stuff and wow just discovered two new areas.

So back to the Western Approach (which I've all but completed)
I can't seem to find a way through the haze nor enter the city. I thought both would be availabe eventually but they're still puzzling me. Are these operations that I need to complete from the war table?

So far I'm sticking with a 5 out of 5 for this game. Every story mission feels epic in nature to me and it is great to be exploring the DA universe again. I'm also reading everything in the game so that also probably pads my time as well.

Yeah, if you do everything you'll rack in hours but when running back and forth across maps that are the size of small continents that's adding up time too. And a majority of the extra quests are simply fetch quests so that's hardly qualifying content in my opinion. Like I said Origins was easily 70 hours plus and that was pure story content. Do everything and you're looking around 80 hours. Point is they hit 65-70 without making wastelands for maps and a million fetch quests. It was all story and that was great. Then you get DA2 and 3's stories and they are painfully short. I still can't believe how short this one is after they said they would make amends for 2's faults. I'm sorry but I don't consider areas like the Hinterlands innovative and great when they are clearly smokescreens to keep you from realizing how short and small the game really is by distracting you with pretty pictures and traveling times.

Yeah, if you do everything you'll rack in hours but when running back and forth across maps that are the size of small continents that's adding up time too. And a majority of the extra quests are simply fetch quests so that's hardly qualifying content in my opinion. Like I said Origins was easily 70 hours plus and that was pure story content. Do everything and you're looking around 80 hours. Point is they hit 65-70 without making wastelands for maps and a million fetch quests. It was all story and that was great. Then you get DA2 and 3's stories and they are painfully short. I still can't believe how short this one is after they said they would make amends for 2's faults. I'm sorry but I don't consider areas like the Hinterlands innovative and great when they are clearly smokescreens to keep you from realizing how short and small the game really is by distracting you with pretty pictures and traveling times.
Fine, I'll bite on the obvious bait.

I'm not sure that you and I received the same copies of Inquisition after reading this. Actually, I'm not even sure if we bought the same copy of Origins, either.

Inquisition has more content than Origins and DA2 combined, in regards to both primary and secondary quest chains. I'm not even sure how one goes about trying to state otherwise (but plenty have tried between BioWare forums and reddit). Origins was the worst culprit of the series, so far, at the number of "fetch quests" that you're given that provide little/no value in terms of rewards and impact on the game/story/world. I can't even keep a count of the number of times I received 10 Bronze and 15 XP in Origins for gathering all the herbs that a local citizen needed to concoct some poison or medicine. Compared to Inquisition where, yes, sometimes you get the "Go find 10 __ and 5 __ for this person" quests or the "Close __ Rifts in this area" quests, but at least you're rewarded with signficant XP (most of the secondary quest enemies scale with your level) and often good materials for crafting better equipment or a good blueprint for crafting - not to mention the Power rewards that you need to unlock most primary quests and separate areas of half the story areas and the Influence you'll gain to unlock the sweet bonuses for your crew. All of those things I mentioned - XP, better equipment, blueprints, Power, Influence - are all quite necessary for completing the majority of the game. Even in my near-100 hour playthrough, I still didn't have enough XP to comfortably approach lvl 23 dragons I encountered. And I haven't even mentioned the cool dialog you hear in-game as you clear out these areas and expand the Inquisition's influence throughout the various areas of the game.

"Well, there's more walking. They only included that to artificially extend the life of the game."

No, there's no smokescreens and mirror tricks in this game. The banter is insanely improved over the previous games and the designers of the game stated that a large focus on these areas was exploration. The difference with this game is, you're offered alternatives to all of these "time-wasters". Don't want to farm materials? Use the War Table or buy them from vendors. Don't want to walk all the way there and hear conversations between characters that significantly add to their overall storylines and give you a much deeper perspective into their personalities that can't be accessed via dialog at Haven/Skyhold? Use the mounts and/or fast travel. Don't want to complete secondary quests that occasionally include funny scenes, cool scenarios, or ridiculous situations? Buy Influence and Power from the vendor at Skyhold. Don't want to go treasure hunting for some epic blueprints for good gear? Buy rare gear from the vendors. Unless you are being charged microtransactions to skip all of those things, the argument of "they're just doing this to make me waste time" doesn't really hold much ground.

I'm not even going to comment on the statements of "Origins is a 70-hour game filled with pure story content, with 10 hours of additional content" and "I don't consider areas like the Hinterlands innovative". Just. No, man.

To be clear I like this game a lot (I'm about 30 hours in), it's vastly superior to DA2 but inferior to DA:O IMO. Some of the side quests just aren't fun to me, so many hours can be spent doing nothing but collecting shards and closing rifts, neither of which I find very rewarding personally. From all accounts the main story is rather short but not awful in length, certainly better than DA2 at least. The main quests I've done are really fun and well done, they tower over the side quests. The best side quests are the companion quests and a few others that actually have unique content with cool environments. I just did one today where I explored an old dwarven ruin (it's in the Southern Hinterlands, don't remember its name), that was really cool.

The one thing that really bothers me is the entire power dynamic, it's clearly there just to pad the hell out of the game's length. A lot of the missions done to aquire power are pretty basic with little story and are almost copy/pasted in each area you explore. I was originally planning on 100% this game but after seeing what the areas all have to offer there's no way I'm spending 30 or 40 hours collecting shards and closing rifts.

The main questline and companion interactions/side quests are by far the selling point for this game. The world just doesn't have the depth of some of the other lengthy RPG's out there (Bethesda's games, DA:O even I would argue, ect.).

Once again to sum it up, really fun game, second best in the series, but not as great or grand as it appears to be at first glance.

To be clear I like this game a lot (I'm about 30 hours in), it's vastly superior to DA2 but inferior to DA:O IMO. Some of the side quests just aren't fun to me, so many hours can be spent doing nothing but collecting shards and closing rifts, neither of which I find very rewarding personally. From all accounts the main story is rather short but not awful in length, certainly better than DA2 at least. The main quests I've done are really fun and well done, they tower over the side quests. The best side quests are the companion quests and a few others that actually have unique content with cool environments. I just did one today where I explored an old dwarven ruin (it's in the Southern Hinterlands, don't remember its name), that was really cool.

The one thing that really bothers me is the entire power dynamic, it's clearly there just to pad the hell out of the game's length. A lot of the missions done to aquire power are pretty basic with little story and are almost copy/pasted in each area you explore. I was originally planning on 100% this game but after seeing what the areas all have to offer there's no way I'm spending 30 or 40 hours collecting shards and closing rifts.

The main questline and companion interactions/side quests are by far the selling point for this game. The world just doesn't have the depth of some of the other lengthy RPG's out there (Bethesda's games, DA:O even I would argue, ect.).

Once again to sum it up, really fun game, second best in the series, but not as great or grand as it appears to be at first glance.
I actually stopped playing because of the sidequests. Just too many of the same things and then when your finding shards it's not clearly marked where your supposed to go. A lot of times it's find this random path, hill or jumping spot on a mountain to get the shard which is annoying as hell.

I liked the story but the game has so much side stuff it's become too much for me.

Got my first glitch in DAI; Blackwall vanished!  Last night I was playing and doing some of his companion quests.  Got back to Skyhold and went to the tavern for a drink with him.  Everything went well and I got a few "Blackwall slightly approves" out of the discussion.  Nothing notable.  Logged on today and...no Blackwall.  He's gone.  Poof.  His tarot card is grayed out with a big X over it.  WTH???

Going to have to go back to an earlier save and backtrack an hour or so.  Kind of a pain because I cleared a couple dungeons last night.

Got my first glitch in DAI; Blackwall vanished! Last night I was playing and doing some of his companion quests. Got back to Skyhold and went to the tavern for a drink with him. Everything went well and I got a few "Blackwall slightly approves" out of the discussion. Nothing notable. Logged on today and...no Blackwall. He's gone. Poof. His tarot card is grayed out with a big X over it. WTH???

Going to have to go back to an earlier save and backtrack an hour or so. Kind of a pain because I cleared a couple dungeons last night.
That's no glitch, what exactly went down at the tavern last night?!?!

That's no glitch, what exactly went down at the tavern last night?!?!
Well, we had a few drinks, had some laughs...then Blackwall kept asking if I wanted to "take a ride on a Warden's griffon." I turned him down, but I thought he was cool about it.

Got my first glitch in DAI; Blackwall vanished! Last night I was playing and doing some of his companion quests. Got back to Skyhold and went to the tavern for a drink with him. Everything went well and I got a few "Blackwall slightly approves" out of the discussion. Nothing notable. Logged on today and...no Blackwall. He's gone. Poof. His tarot card is grayed out with a big X over it. WTH???

Going to have to go back to an earlier save and backtrack an hour or so. Kind of a pain because I cleared a couple dungeons last night.
That's not a glitch.

That's part of his companion quest line. Very interesting developments on that front.

I stayed up way too late playing this game many nights in a row and finished the game.  I'm pretty sure this game shouldn't have given you the race choices and that they only did that because of the complaints about the second game.  I played through as a female elf assassin.  The elf race has a ton of special dialog options and opens more about the story.  I chuckled every time she'd walk by some rich folks in the Winter Palace and say derisive things about her as a servent shirking her duties. 

I'm thinking a female elf mage would be the optimal choice for a playthrough.  Of course you should bring Solas with you in every mission and do everything he suggests....

As for this Blackwall issue folks are having, my elf romanced Blackwall and got locked into him which was annoying but turned out that it was part of his story.  He's an asshole and there's so many good sarcastic comments you can make after his story.  If you can't find him anywhere, go to the location he hangs out at and see if a spy walks by that you can talk to, he'll tell you that Blackwall ran off to Val Royeaux.  After I dumped his ass I worked on Josephine but because the game locks in that romance for so long, I wasn't able to finish the Josephine story. 

Not sure if I'll play this again.  I tried Origins a second time and ended up quitting halfway through the second time.  It just isn't different enough and most of the choices I made were ones I would make again.

edit:  Eh, I just tried a second play through of Inquisition.  I like story driven games but I guess I just don't see the point in replaying them.

Just about to start this on PS4. Any recommendations for character/class types? Leaning towards a human mage right now.
Go with your instincts. Mage is a solid class as you can play the early game as a ranged fighter and then down the road, pick the Knight Enchanter specialization if you decide you'd rather be able to get up close and personal with enemies.

Just about to start this on PS4. Any recommendations for character/class types? Leaning towards a human mage right now.
All classes are fine, play what you like. Mage might be a little squishy to start off with but once you get your specialization especially in Knight Enchanter or Necro, you will become unstoppable.

I stayed up way too late playing this game many nights in a row and finished the game. I'm pretty sure this game shouldn't have given you the race choices and that they only did that because of the complaints about the second game. I played through as a female elf assassin. The elf race has a ton of special dialog options and opens more about the story. I chuckled every time she'd walk by some rich folks in the Winter Palace and say derisive things about her as a servent shirking her duties.

I'm thinking a female elf mage would be the optimal choice for a playthrough. Of course you should bring Solas with you in every mission and do everything he suggests....

As for this Blackwall issue folks are having, my elf romanced Blackwall and got locked into him which was annoying but turned out that it was part of his story. He's an asshole and there's so many good sarcastic comments you can make after his story. If you can't find him anywhere, go to the location he hangs out at and see if a spy walks by that you can talk to, he'll tell you that Blackwall ran off to Val Royeaux. After I dumped his ass I worked on Josephine but because the game locks in that romance for so long, I wasn't able to finish the Josephine story.

Not sure if I'll play this again. I tried Origins a second time and ended up quitting halfway through the second time. It just isn't different enough and most of the choices I made were ones I would make again.

edit: Eh, I just tried a second play through of Inquisition. I like story driven games but I guess I just don't see the point in replaying them.
Sometimes it's just to play the opposite sex so you can get an achievement or have a romance with a different character. I replayed ME 1 and 2 as a BroShep just to have a romance with Miranda so I could get the achievement on 360 and stay loyal to Liara on my main FemShep.

If I ever replay DA: I it will be as a male mage so I can be with Cassandra.

Mage is good but my two handed warrior just owns. Oh you want to cast a spell, interrupt! (Mage gets slammed into the ground) The only area of weakness for me has been dragons. Gotta hit and run with those.

Time for some sweet pics!

Just started Playthrough 3 for my Female 2-Handed Warrior Elf, so I'll post pictures of her and my other Mage and Rogue who have run the 80+ hour gauntlet.

Human Mage (same model as the Rogue, but with the Blue tattoo - he was Paragon - and less facial hair)

ChH6rUr.png

Human Rogue (same model as the Mage, but with the Red tattoo - Renegade, duh - and more facial hair)

JhpFu3g.png

Elf Warrior (she gets more pics "because boobs")

uCbjcBX.png

aMhHQfT.png

IZQlWkJ.png

Also, it's like the pictures are having a conversation between themselves.

Now, I just need to figure out how to snap pics of my female elf mage and get them up here.

Anyone want to give me the quick pointer on how?

There a reason why all of the strategy guides for this game are sold out? I can see why the special hardcover would be sold out since it was a low run most likely (there are STILL new copies of DA2's collectors being sold everywhere so they probably made sure that wouldn't be an issue again) but all of the standard editions are gone too and you have to deal with scalper prices for any kind. I don't know if I should start putting aside a few extra bucks to just bite the bullet and get one later at a raised price or hold out hoping after the new year some new ones surface. Been playing this series since the first game and have never seen this happen before, since they usually go oop way after release years later.

There a reason why all of the strategy guides for this game are sold out? I can see why the special hardcover would be sold out since it was a low run most likely (there are STILL new copies of DA2's collectors being sold everywhere so they probably made sure that wouldn't be an issue again) but all of the standard editions are gone too and you have to deal with scalper prices for any kind. I don't know if I should start putting aside a few extra bucks to just bite the bullet and get one later at a raised price or hold out hoping after the new year some new ones surface. Been playing this series since the first game and have never seen this happen before, since they usually go oop way after release years later.
If GS & BB are out try Target. They're half size books that should be somewhere near their interactive display.

What the hell are these little green globes I find every once in awhile? Once I "activate" them they start to glow green and spin. Do they actually do anything?

As a newbie to the DA series this started off reallllly slow for me, but now that shits starting to get real and I'm actually forming a bond with some of my companions I can really understand how people can do multiple multiple playthroughs. Also I love judging people haha...maybe a little too much.

bread's done
Back