Dragon Age: Origins - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='shieryda']Can the females get it on with each other? I know they can if you go to the Pearl.[/QUOTE]
In terms of plot romances, Leliana will go for a female Warden.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']In terms of plot romances, Leliana will go for a female Warden.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I'll tap that ass next.

I think I need to start putting points into dual-wielding weapons for one or more of my characters. I'm still trying to hit buttons to block with a shield, like in Oblivion.

I gave my Warrior all of the shield-based skills in the base game, but in Awakening I've taken a liking to dual-wielding. I think you can respec in Awakening so I guess I will.

My dwarf is a dual-wielding beast. I haven't touched the game since that Blockbuster sale started though, I also started playing Gears 2 again for some odd reason which doesn't help.

fucking love this game. It's a bit overwhelming, though, due to all of the codexes. I am only reading about 1/3 of them.

Future strategies for my party:

1) keep Morrigan out of it
2) level up Leliana's lock-picking (so that I can focus on my own archer skill)
3) increase Wynne's healing skill
4) start using more of the pause, pick character action, return to game method. I don't know what half of the character's skills are, or what they look like when activated.

I know there are different stories for each character class, so I wonder if it's worth playing through the game 3 more times just to see those (I don't want to spend more time playing the main campaign). But this will be a long time off (20+ hours into my first playthrough).

Morrigan is an offensive beast and not a bad healer either. Leliana, on the other hand, I was happy to keep on the sidelines. I already had enough useless crap clogging up my inventory without her opening chests and getting me even more!

I don't like losing favor with Morrigan (though I did find a grimoire and gave it to her for big approval points) and like getting the experience from opening chests (not necessarily picking up the loot).

I really need to look at my buddies' skills and determine who'd be best to take out each time. I'll probably keep the hound, though, since he's pretty good in a fight.

I haven't explored/experimented nearly as deeply as some of you dudes have.:D

The dog is probably your least-effective party member, even if he is fucking fun to use.

I has a mod that adds him to the party in a similar manner to a "summonable" creature, except he can, of course, level and equip collars/paint.

Can rogues backstab if they're equipped with a bow and arrow?

I really liked my first 8 hours in Awakening because it was all short side-questy stuff and exploration. Now I'm doing the main quests, and it's slog after slog, which is what I didn't like in Origins.

Does anyone know whether you can get the level 20 achievements by starting a new level 18 character in Awakening? Decided to go for 1375/1375 in this game, doing a second playthrough as a rogue now, but I don't know if I'll have the stomach to do a third as a mage.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I gave my Warrior all of the shield-based skills in the base game, but in Awakening I've taken a liking to dual-wielding. I think you can respec in Awakening so I guess I will.[/QUOTE]

There's a book which you can buy in the expansion that allows you to respec everything, though it's been reported you lose 2 attribute/1 skill point which from most theories is the exclusion of the skill up books you could have purchased and used in Origins. Otherwise, importing your character over will reset all the stats without any penalty initially.

[quote name='shieryda']fucking love this game. It's a bit overwhelming, though, due to all of the codexes. I am only reading about 1/3 of them.

Future strategies for my party:

1) keep Morrigan out of it
2) level up Leliana's lock-picking (so that I can focus on my own archer skill)
3) increase Wynne's healing skill
4) start using more of the pause, pick character action, return to game method. I don't know what half of the character's skills are, or what they look like when activated.

I know there are different stories for each character class, so I wonder if it's worth playing through the game 3 more times just to see those (I don't want to spend more time playing the main campaign). But this will be a long time off (20+ hours into my first playthrough).[/QUOTE]

Playing everyone's origin story at least gives you a lot more insight into the storyline and characters/npcs that seemed out of place, i.e. locked up in a dungeon with no interaction. So I'd definitely recommend doing that at least. If you wanted to finish the game again just dont do any side quests and cut your total play time down in half.

Have you utilized the combat slots? the characters when you give them actions do pretty well on their own, almost to the point where you don't even need to do much micro managing at all except maybe during boss fights.

[quote name='shieryda']I don't like losing favor with Morrigan (though I did find a grimoire and gave it to her for big approval points) and like getting the experience from opening chests (not necessarily picking up the loot).

I really need to look at my buddies' skills and determine who'd be best to take out each time. I'll probably keep the hound, though, since he's pretty good in a fight.

I haven't explored/experimented nearly as deeply as some of you dudes have.:D[/QUOTE]

Morrigan is one of the easiest companions to boost approval rating since there's an abundance of gifts she'll accept as a favored gift. As for the war dog, I found his effectiveness drop in later levels mainly because the equipment you find and purchase makes everyone else vastly superior.

I'm starting to despair of ever getting this Blight-Queller achievement. Two complete playthroughs of the main game + DLC, and an Awakening playthrough on top of that... It's hard for me to believe I haven't killed 1000 darkspawn yet, especially since I hit 500 before the end of my first Origins playthrough.

Whoo!! Got my 1375. Turns out that Blight-Queller counts kills across a single character, not across all like it's supposed to/used to before the last title update, so once I focused on farming darkspawn on one particular character, I was able to unlock it.

If this is a mission-based DLC like Return to Ostagar or Warden's Keep, I wonder if there will be any way to bring a character/party from Awakening into it.

fuck that. We all know that there is only one acceptable typo for "Darkspawn".

704358679_ayGHY-L.jpg

[quote name='The Crotch']fuck that. We all know that there is only one acceptable typo for "Darkspawn".

704358679_ayGHY-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Oh my God, I had forgotten about that strip! I suddenly want to play the game over again just so I can give my dog a proper name!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Er...sounds kind of lame...will probably buy it anyway, because I'm a sucker for new content for their games...[/QUOTE]

Same.

A little more info from the Bioware board. Looks like this DLC will take the game to 1450.

Think of this adventure as your adventure, but YOU were never around to take part. Dragon Age: Origins was always the tale of the Grey Warden you created and how he or she became the mightiest of Grey Wardens and stopped the Blight. This adventure takes place as if your Grey Warden had never existed.

You play as a hurlock vanguard and use your new "Enthrall" ability to recruit your fellow darkspawn as allies. Partner with shrieks, genlocks, ogres and more. You will encounter characters from Dragon Age: Origins both party members like Alistair or Morrigan (for example) and NPCs who try to defend Denerim and stop the Darkspawn without your Grey Warden to guide them. As the darkspawn, you will have to defeat them to destroy Denerim.

If you choose to play Darkspawn Chronicles you can unlock 3 new achievements and, if you complete the story, you unlock the powerful new BlightBlood sword that you can use in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Origins Awakening.

The Darkspawn Chronicles costs 400 BioWare or Microsoft points and will be available on May 18 for the PC and Xbox 360 and on the Playstation 3 with date to be announced shortly.

At $5 this is basically going to be a 1 hour affair of just controlling a bunch of darkspawn, methinks. It will likely be kind of like the end of DA:O as you command squads in a pseudo fashion.

Having maxed out the Gamerscore for DA:O (hands-down my favorite game of last year) I'm pretty much obliged to buy any and all DLC which includes achievements just so I can maintain that perfect score.. Even if it doesn't interest me, which this one certainly doesn't.

Well played, Bioware.

[quote name='bvharris']Having maxed out the Gamerscore for DA:O (hands-down my favorite game of last year) I'm pretty much obliged to buy any and all DLC which includes achievements just so I can maintain that perfect score.. Even if it doesn't interest me, which this one certainly doesn't.

Well played, Bioware.[/QUOTE]
I hear that.

So pissed. Alistair was really flirting with my female dwarf character (this after he'd already given her the rose), and I chose a response that was little too joking/harsh. I lost 75 approval points, and now I'm not sure how to get my approval back up to even close to what it was before. If only I had saved right before the interaction, but I did not feel like re-playing an hour just to get that back.

I know a lot of people probably think this is lame, but the Feast Day DLC comes in very handy for manipulating the party members' approval numbers with very little effort.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I know a lot of people probably think this is lame, but the Feast Day DLC comes in very handy for manipulating the party members' approval numbers with very little effort.[/QUOTE]

Contemplating...

I'm still not sure how to equip 2 weapons for Alistair. I thought that I had unlocked the dual wield skill, but can't figure out how to equip 2 weapons at the same time.

Anyone playing the new DLC yet?

... Frankly I'm waiting to hear some reports before downloading it, given all the problems with Return to Ostagar.

[quote name='The Crotch']I have no idea how the Xbox version works, but...

Can you drag the weapon to the shield slot?[/QUOTE]

I think when you click on the weapon, it asks you if you want to equip it to the A-button or X-button slot. Not that pressing either button will cause your character to use the corresponding weapon, but I have no idea.

[quote name='shieryda']Contemplating...

I'm still not sure how to equip 2 weapons for Alistair. I thought that I had unlocked the dual wield skill, but can't figure out how to equip 2 weapons at the same time.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it won't let you because you currently have a 2-handed weapon equipped?

[quote name='pete5883']Maybe it won't let you because you currently have a 2-handed weapon equipped?[/QUOTE]

#-oHad not even considered that. I was using a 2-handed sword, so I'll have to investigate next time. Do you only have to have the first dual wield s ill slot filled?

Does anybody else ever have problems with downloading/playing EA games online? I play NCAA 09 online and it always takes for ever to download my franchise file, I play Bad Company 2 and one out of three nights I can't get the game to stop booting me back to the dash board...yet the other two nights it runs flawless.

Now I have been trying to download the Stone Prisoner add on for 3 days in a row and the farthest I have gotten on the download is 34% and then I get an error message saying the dragon age servers are down.

I never seem to have this problem with other games. Just EA's stuff. Anybody else have problems?

[quote name='shieryda']I just got done reading this. I might just save my points:

http://brutalgamer.com/2010/05/18/dragon-age-origins-darkspawn-chronicles-dlc-360-review/[/QUOTE]
Ended up buying it and playing through last night. I don't necessarily disagree with anything in that review, but I enjoyed it. It was about on par with Return to Ostagar, nothing spectacular, mostly straight hack-and-slash, but with some interesting sections where you have to make use of specific darkspawn powers. To me, it was worth the $5.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Ended up buying it and playing through last night. I don't necessarily disagree with anything in that review, but I enjoyed it. It was about on par with Return to Ostagar, nothing spectacular, mostly straight hack-and-slash, but with some interesting sections where you have to make use of specific darkspawn powers. To me, it was worth the $5.[/QUOTE]

A couple hours' worth of fun for $5 doesn't seem so bad. I have a plethora of points, so I might still consider it. I just have no time and a backlog like you wouldn't believe.

[quote name='shieryda']#-oHad not even considered that. I was using a 2-handed sword, so I'll have to investigate next time. Do you only have to have the first dual wield s ill slot filled?[/QUOTE]
In order to equip 2 weapons? I don't think you have to learn any skills to do so.

[quote name='benjamouth']Just started playing Origins, I'm about 6 hours in, loving it so far.[/QUOTE]

Lol... i play this game so far for over 50 hours and i am still not done or halfway through.
It is so fun to play. One of the very seldom games that keep me playing forever.
But i have to say, that the baldur gate universe would be nicer.

My party is (cur. Level 18)
me = mage
Morrigan, Allistair, Leliana.
Works for me really good. I did all the gift swapping to and it was party real worth to do it.

I am not sure if i dream that or not, but can you show off you party or character somehow? Like to share it with your friends?

How many hours can you play the main story with side quest (incl. Shayles Quest).

[quote name='yester']Lol... i play this game so far for over 50 hours and i am still not done or halfway through.
It is so fun to play. One of the very seldom games that keep me playing forever.
But i have to say, that the baldur gate universe would be nicer.

My party is (cur. Level 18)
me = mage
Morrigan, Allistair, Leliana.
Works for me really good. I did all the gift swapping to and it was party real worth to do it.

I am not sure if i dream that or not, but can you show off you party or character somehow? Like to share it with your friends?

How many hours can you play the main story with side quest (incl. Shayles Quest).[/QUOTE]
I think during 1 of the loading screens it says you can show your character on the ea boards.
So no you didn't dream it.

I just rescued the Arl of Eamon, or whatever his name is (battled the demon that possessed his son, Connor). Man, that demon was a bitch to kill! I chose the J dude to go into the Fade, and he was a weaker character, so that may have been part of the problem.

Need to go back and rescue Sten somehow. I have a bunch of gifts to give to him, and would like to see his spells/abilities.

I think I'm close to 50 hours in, myself.

[quote name='shieryda']I just rescued the Arl of Eamon, or whatever his name is (battled the demon that possessed his son, Connor). Man, that demon was a bitch to kill! I chose the J dude to go into the Fade, and he was a weaker character, so that may have been part of the problem.

Need to go back and rescue Sten somehow. I have a bunch of gifts to give to him, and would like to see his spells/abilities.

I think I'm close to 50 hours in, myself.[/QUOTE]

Well for 1, There ain't no pleasin Sten,.. :p
And 2 ,If you go on long enough you'll never get back to the town where Sten is being held.
Dont trip tho, Much of the fun from Dragon Age is repeated playthroughs(Dont know if its your first)
Next time you attempt the Arl Of Redcliff,a good option is to convince First Enchanter Irving to go into the fade (Its a breeze for him)

Is Sten in Lothering? I think that might be one town that I haven't been able to get back to on the map. I've finally been able to get more dialogue options with Alistair (hoping to get the romance going again, but not quite sure how - he's already given me the rose; maybe I just need to get the approval back up to where it was before?).

Yup, Sten's in Lothering. If you're locked out of the town now, it's too late to get him.

Speaking of... I've played through the game twice, and it's still not clear to me what actually happened in Lothering. Is there a cutscene that shows it getting attacked/overrun or whatever, that I may have accidentally skipped through? I feel like I missed something tha should be there.

I have a few quests to be done in the Alienage. When the hell does that location become unlocked? Do I have to do the Landsmeet quest first?

bread's done
Back