Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

[quote name='adriley313']Yes they always drop a different map every time and sometimes they have 2% drop where they drop something awesome.[/QUOTE]

Just redid a grotto I'd already done and got a different map. Went headlong into the next grotto, died at the boss. Had never saved. :bomb:

Went back to the first grotto, defeated it, and got a totally different map.

How many maps are there?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just redid a grotto I'd already done and got a different map. Went headlong into the next grotto, died at the boss. Had never saved. :bomb:

Went back to the first grotto, defeated it, and got a totally different map.

How many maps are there?[/QUOTE]

From http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/grotto_names.php:

Before we go over what the names mean, let's cover a few important things. Dragon Quest 9 only recognises maps by two specific things: Quality and a random seed. Quality is a number between 2 and 248 that determines how good a map might be, and the random seed gives one of 32768 maps of that quality. So that means there are over 8 million maps in the entire game.

Go straight north into the main building and keep going north (around the fountain) into the chapel. The guy who gives you the quests for swordsmanship is also in there.

When do certain quests activate? Do I need to keep going back to towns and searching for any 'blue thought bubbles'. There's several quests listed in the guide but no one's giving them out.

[quote name='mickeyp']What can you do at these events? Anybody been to one.[/QUOTE]

Been to three of them...best thing is getting tags for Quester's Rest so you can upgrade your Inn. But its really fun to meet people and play the game together..trade maps. I got all my legendary boss maps from them. Sometimes they give out t-shirts and posters....and at the Simon Mall one I went to they did drawings for bigger prizes and I ended up winning the guide to the game. Pretty sweet!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just redid a grotto I'd already done and got a different map. Went headlong into the next grotto, died at the boss. Had never saved. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Did you shut your DS off? In DQ games, dying never means game over or losing progress. You just lose half of your money.

[quote name='Backlash']Go straight north into the main building and keep going north (around the fountain) into the chapel. The guy who gives you the quests for swordsmanship is also in there.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I didn't notice that. Thanks.

[quote name='pete5883']Did you shut your DS off? In DQ games, dying never means game over or losing progress. You just lose half of your money.[/QUOTE]

Eh, money is too important for me, especially since I've never had over 100k yet.

So the online store has this amazing-looking hammer for 40k. My warrior, who would use it, would get a near 100 point boost to his damage. I've never leveled up his hammer skill, though. Would I be wiser to stick with swords, which is his forte? For all the bonuses and criticals?

Choosing between all your progress since your last save and half your money is like the essence of Dragon Quest. Or at least it was until they added banks, booo.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Anybody going to the event today, specifically the one in Midtown?[/QUOTE]
Damn, I was thinking about it but now I can't. Pick me up a poster! ;)

What exactly does "upgrading your inn" do? I'm hoping to get some tags at the local anime con next month, since my Best Buys are jerks.

Got just enough tags to open the library in my inn (30), but not the basement. The best buy event near me only had 5 people other than me show up over the hour and a half that I was there. Oh, well. I did get a pretty nice DQ6 poster.

Same here. I managed to get 30 tags, BUT I need 30 unique tags apparently and staying at my inn at the same time. Darn, and I cleared like 3 off them!

I got to the floor with the Gem Slimes, and man Greygnarl is scary. I don't think I can fight him.

[quote name='utopianmachine']So the online store has this amazing-looking hammer for 40k. My warrior, who would use it, would get a near 100 point boost to his damage. I've never leveled up his hammer skill, though. Would I be wiser to stick with swords, which is his forte? For all the bonuses and criticals?[/QUOTE]

You're probably early enough in the game that it's better to stay with his specialty weapon. The bonuses you get from the sword skills will close the gap on that hammer pretty quickly. Or save your money for an awesome sword in the online store.

If you have anyone to play multiplayer with, you can visit and purchase items from stores in their game. A friend of mine went to the post-game stores in Stornway and bought weapons and armor which made him invincible for where he was in his game, about midway through the story. I personally wouldn't like that since it takes some challenge away (and this game is much easier compared to other DQ games) but it definitely works.

Armor/accessories would also be a better hold-out. More people will get use out of them for longer. You won't keep that character a warrior once you get more vocations, but maxing his sword skill means you can keep that weapon on him no matter his vocation. Definitely stick with that.

[quote name='johnnypark']You're probably early enough in the game that it's better to stay with his specialty weapon. The bonuses you get from the sword skills will close the gap on that hammer pretty quickly. Or save your money for an awesome sword in the online store.

If you have anyone to play multiplayer with, you can visit and purchase items from stores in their game. A friend of mine went to the post-game stores in Stornway and bought weapons and armor which made him invincible for where he was in his game, about midway through the story. I personally wouldn't like that since it takes some challenge away (and this game is much easier compared to other DQ games) but it definitely works.

Armor/accessories would also be a better hold-out. More people will get use out of them for longer. You won't keep that character a warrior once you get more vocations, but maxing his sword skill means you can keep that weapon on him no matter his vocation. Definitely stick with that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll likely just keep him with the Miracle Sword for now. I thought I had unlocked all the vocations except Armanentalist, or whatever it is called. I think there's like 10 vocations?

I wouldn't want to upgrade my character to practical invincibility so early in the game either. It's more exciting to make that decision to return to town and save before that next boss battle. ;)

[quote name='adriley313']i lov the Sage class
made my priest and mage into sages
they rock hard[/QUOTE]

Hm, Sage?

I just looked up vocations, and it looks like I don't have Armamentalist, Sage, or Luminary yet.

I'm getting high enough to go back and do a bunch of quests I didn't do earlier, but I've yet to beat the main storyline though.

Sage you can get very late in the main game and luminary only postgame. You can get armamentalist very early, though, and I really liked that vocation. In fact, my main character has been armamentalist for most of the game and the whole postgame (other than skill point grinding, of course).

[quote name='Backlash']Got just enough tags to open the library in my inn (30), but not the basement. The best buy event near me only had 5 people other than me show up over the hour and a half that I was there. Oh, well. I did get a pretty nice DQ6 poster.[/QUOTE]
What does this poster look like?

I got back into this game finally. I'm mixing it up between 2-4 Grottos and then a Quest. I got my 3rd Legacy Boss map recently (I got it from a Quest) but I don't know if my current levels can handle him. I got Zoma from the Gamestop event and he just destroyed me. I need to find a big XP map soon or else I might quit again. But I've put roughly 15 hours into the game over the past 2 weeks and since I'm going on vacation I plan to play it quite a bit more.

[quote name='celegus']What exactly does "upgrading your inn" do? I'm hoping to get some tags at the local anime con next month, since my Best Buys are jerks.[/QUOTE]

When you get 50 tags..you'll get the basement! love mine because it will spawn ingredients every 24hrs...usually about 4 or 5.

I have an extra shirt, extra poster, extra stickers and an extra slime bag (i think i do) from the last event I went to. I was planning on putting it all up on ebay as a package deal. Not sure of the worth of it.

Tried to beat the storyline today but got my butt handed to me by the
cat guarding the last Gittish empire person.

So I decided to hunt down my first grotto today (outside of the one you get through the storyline where the guy tells you where it is).

It was pretty rewarding to find the location on my own. I think I'm hooked.

I actually found Purrvis rather easy, since I was lv. 40 in my main jobs, and 20s in the others. The guide said that patience is needed to fight him, since taking him down rather steadily was key, so heal and buff as needed.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I actually found Purrvis rather easy, since I was lv. 40 in my main jobs, and 20s in the others. The guide said that patience is needed to fight him, since taking him down rather steadily was key, so heal and buff as needed.[/QUOTE]

My characters are in the high or mind 30's, so I think I may grotto-search/grind for a bit before I return to try to beat him.

Went to the event. The only swag they had were DQ6 posters, which are kind of rad but I wanted the slime plush. There were only 2 guys there along with the NOA rep, but she was clearly an avid gamer and had both the NOA hosting DS up and her own game going to trade maps.

I was a little overwhelmed by the geekery of the guys there. They were both probably in their 30s and clearly do little else than play videogames. One of them had a 3 page list documenting his treasure maps and any details about them worth knowing. I guess I hide my geek well - most people don't realize what a videogame nerd I am until they see my room or hear me talk about games. These guys, though, wore it on their sleeve, haha.

Which is fine with me - I got some awesome maps from him. Still need 10-11 unique canvas hits to fully open my inn. Apparently he has a group of DQ9 players that meet up every 2-3 months, I'll probably go to finish it off and play some multiplayer.

[quote name='johnnypark'] I guess I hide my geek well - most people don't realize what a videogame nerd I am until they see my room or hear me talk about games. These guys, though, wore it on their sleeve, haha.
[/QUOTE]

Same as you, I think people at work and such are surprised I play games. My husband looks like a total nerd though. Which is funny because I am worse than him about it.

I'm so glad I was able to finish my inn in Japan and I don't have to worry about going to these events. Wait, didn't you go to Japan or am I thinking of someone else? You could have gotten your inn totally finished there really easily in Akihabara. :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Same as you, I think people at work and such are surprised I play games. My husband looks like a total nerd though. Which is funny because I am worse than him about it.

I'm so glad I was able to finish my inn in Japan and I don't have to worry about going to these events. Wait, didn't you go to Japan or am I thinking of someone else? You could have gotten your inn totally finished there really easily in Akihabara. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You're correct, I did go to Japan. Unfortunately I wasn't anywhere near Akihabara, I was in Nagoya. I still got about 10 tags while I was there in various electronics stores, arcades, etc but I think a lot of people there were already over it since DQ9 had been out for over a year. I saw more PSPs than DS's (huge surprise), everyone was playing Monster Hunter.

Got some really cool maps today.
There was a guy who poured 800+ hours into his game, and he was kind enough to share an MKS only, Gem slime only, and a whole bunch of 90+ level maps with me.
I only got like 3 unique tags today.
I still need like 10 more to unlock more rooms in the inn.
Hopefully I can get them when I go to Japan later this month.

[quote name='johnnypark']You're correct, I did go to Japan. Unfortunately I wasn't anywhere near Akihabara, I was in Nagoya. I still got about 10 tags while I was there in various electronics stores, arcades, etc but I think a lot of people there were already over it since DQ9 had been out for over a year. I saw more PSPs than DS's (huge surprise), everyone was playing Monster Hunter.[/QUOTE]

That is still 10 more tag than you'd get doing that in the US. :lol:

But seriously, in Akihabara, I literally opened up the wifi connection, went down the escalator at Yodobashi Camera, and had 3 tags. I kept having to stop and get a new connection. The 3 tag limit was pretty annoying in Akihabara. :lol:

There was just one other guy plus the rep at my event today, so that was disappointing. But, the guy (He had revocated seven times, WTF?) gave me a high level grotto map and I was able to add two more monsters to my bestiary. Just four more to go, plus the remaining legacy bosses.

Also I got a DQ6 poster. Anyone want it?

I wish I was geeky enough to want DQIX posters...

...although I guess my husband and I do want to frame some Magic: The Gathering posters we want to put in our office.

...I'm such a geek.

I went to the one today too, picked up a Professor Layton Rubix Cube among some other swag. Turn out wasn't to big, there was maybe 10-12 people, I was hoping to get more tags halfway there.

I went to the event in Hamilton, OH and got an MKS map. Man, those things level you quickly. In about two hours time, I went from a level 65 Paladin to a level 89. This map alone has re-energized my interest in this game.

Stupid question, but can you revocate other characters in your party besides your main character?

[quote name='wjhard63']I went to the event in Hamilton, OH and got an MKS map. Man, those things level you quickly. In about two hours time, I went from a level 65 Paladin to a level 89. This map alone has re-energized my interest in this game.

Stupid question, but can you revocate other characters in your party besides your main character?[/QUOTE]

yes you can
great way to make guys more versatile than just one class

Only 2 other people showed up at my local BB. The rep did give us a map from her personal copy so that was cool.

After amusing myself with beating wimpy grottos (all mine are below level 14 so far) for a couple days, I decided to go try to beat
Purrvius again. Beat him easy and the King after that
. Was hoping the game would be over then, but nooooo.

Hoping to finish the game tonight. I'm at about 50 hours and ready to be done. I love these kind of games, but I'm ready to move on. Ghost Trick is calling me. :D

Ugh, the BB event reignited my interest in the game, I'm eager to go through the all the treasure maps I got from the NOA rep and from the nerdfest that was gathered there. I've already started DQ6 though and don't want to stop playing when I'm only a few hours in... decisions!

So I got alllllll the way to
Corvus. Got through the whole Realm of the Mighty, beat all those bosses along the way, had no trouble with Barbaros -- and then Corvus healed himself 500 HP and smote my ruin upon the moutainside and crap.

Died, got sent back to the Observatory, and lost half my money.

Considering how much work and EXP I put into getting through the
Realm of the Mighty
, there's no way I was willing to reset and go back to a previous save.

Also, it's annoying as crap that you can't Evac or Zoom in there.

bread's done
Back