Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

I'm impressed that some of you had reasonably good turnouts for your DQIX events. Mine were kind of a bust.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The 3 tag limit was pretty annoying in Akihabara. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wait...what's this? I'll be bringing my DS to PAX East next weekend and I don't want to miss out on any tags!

[quote name='metaly']Also I got a DQ6 poster. Anyone want it?[/QUOTE] I was going to ask if you wanted mine. Guess not, huh? ;)

[quote name='johnnypark']Ugh, the BB event reignited my interest in the game...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happened to me, too. I thought I was out but they pulled me back in!

[quote name='bmachine']Wait...what's this? I'll be bringing my DS to PAX East next weekend and I don't want to miss out on any tags![/QUOTE]

You just have to keep restarting the tagging process because you can only tag three people at a time. It's a pain, but... worth it!

[quote name='bmachine']Wait...what's this? I'll be bringing my DS to PAX East next weekend and I don't want to miss out on any tags![/QUOTE]
Once you hit 3 tags you have to quit, walk out of the room and back in and start tag mode again. Usually best to walk to the left and talk to the 3 people you just tagged, though.

I'm trying to figure out why my level 40 Warrior doesn't seem to have Double-Edged Slash in his list of abilities. Is there some other weapon he should be using? Some skill I haven't upgraded? He uses the Miracle Sword.

[quote name='pete5883']Once you hit 3 tags you have to quit, walk out of the room and back in and start tag mode again. Usually best to walk to the left and talk to the 3 people you just tagged, though.[/QUOTE]

Ah, OK...I didn't know that. I've never had the luxury of getting more than 3 tags at once! Thanks for the clarification.

Just beat the game. On the third try of beating the final boss, I took control of all my party members, something I never done for a boss battle the whole game. By doing so, I could stop them from reviving less important people or my stupid warrior tossing a medicinal leaf at someone, despite that he was supposed to Show No Mercy.

Had to use two Yggdrasil Leaves, but at least it was done.

Put right about 55 hours into the game.

[quote name='Backlash']Oh, I forgot you could put your party members on auto. I always control everyone. Heh.[/QUOTE]

I always do, but I decided to test it in DQ9. The system worked REALLY well. But unfortunately for me, the final battle proved so challenging that I couldn't rely on my party members to do the right thing themselves. There was just too much at stake when they made a move which I didn't interpret as the best.

For example, I had two dead party members. My Priest tried to revive a fighter character, despite that it would have been smarter to revive my Ranger, which could also try to revive the fighter, as needed, or heal, etc.

And yeah, when my warrior went off and used a freaking Medicinal Herb in his inventory to heal another party member rather than fight the boss, I about flipped.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm trying to figure out why my level 40 Warrior doesn't seem to have Double-Edged Slash in his list of abilities. Is there some other weapon he should be using? Some skill I haven't upgraded? He uses the Miracle Sword.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that one of the skills you get from a manual? You might have to do a quest for that one.

[quote name='pete5883']Isn't that one of the skills you get from a manual? You might have to do a quest for that one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='metaly']I think that's a gladiator ability. Or maybe you just learned other skills and it shows up on a different page now?[/QUOTE]

I don't really know what the deal is. It's possible there was something I needed to do to get it.

I'm done with the game now. Moved on to Ghost Trick. :D

[quote name='utopianmachine']I don't really know what the deal is. It's possible there was something I needed to do to get it.

I'm done with the game now. Moved on to Ghost Trick. :D[/QUOTE]

Nooo the game doesn't actually begin until after you beat the story =)

A bundle of fun!

img0871yq.jpg

I want one, three!

Considering I price-matched at Best Buy on release day and got the game for $20 the day it came out, definitely the best value of 2010. I would have gladly paid full price, though, and there isn't a single game I've ever played this long without taking a huge break from. The fact it's on a portable system just makes it even crazier.

yes i agree that DQIX is onbe of the best ds games of all time
just a great game and good fun and tons of after story.
Just wish i had 2 slots of save as i wanna play over since i know more stuff then i did before

i lov my slime wish i had another to take out the plastic wrap and call him Blu

Yeah, they announced that a long time ago. Some of us assumed it they'd switch platforms since 3rd-party Wii games are kinda done, but I guess not.

Those flurry feathers near Batsureg and Bloomingale just won't seem to respawn.

Feels good to be playing this after a month break due to broken :ds: . Just about to picked up the wyrmlight bow and am about to cross wyrmwood canyon.

Should I start doing more treasure maps?

Is upover the last shop before the post-game? All I've got left is the Gittish empire stuff and it seemsl ike I've already bought most everything.
Need two more resurrock's to make a life ring to make a life bracer to make a uber miracle sword.

edit:
oh wait. there's that secret shop in dourbridge too.

so i just started this game (levl. 15 hero) am i making a mistake by putting all my skill points in to to unique skill for each job? for instance i have been putting all my skill allocations into the minstrel job class and not into sword etc.

WOINNGgg. This game is just $7 at Bestbuy.com for Easter Sunday. Probably everyone in the thread already has it, but if you're on the fence or know someone who'd like an endless DQ game, that's an amazing price. Deal thread here.

[quote name='Shizim']so i just started this game (levl. 15 hero) am i making a mistake by putting all my skill points in to to unique skill for each job? for instance i have been putting all my skill allocations into the minstrel job class and not into sword etc.[/QUOTE]

No and yes: Generally, the unique skills are the best to put points into since you unlock stats and useful abilities that carry over when you change classes--except that the minstrel's bonuses aren't very good. Eventually if you have a lot of skill points, you'll want to unlock the magical might/mending bonuses for your casters and the huge deftness bonus for any character you use to steal items, but early on you're definitely better off specializing in swords or shields rather than the minstrel skill.

I snagged a new copy since the one I got on launch was stolen by my ex. Not sure when I'll dig into it again though, but for $7 I couldn't pass it up.

I've been playing my dq9 on the 3ds..

the actual gameplay screen is the bottom screen, while the map is used for the main screen? (top)?

is there a way i could flip it?

[quote name='bic']I've been playing my dq9 on the 3ds..

the actual gameplay screen is the bottom screen, while the map is used for the main screen? (top)?

is there a way i could flip it?[/QUOTE]

Turn your 3DS upside down?

I picked this up during the best buy deal and like it a lot so far, I'm only a few hours into it. I made a huge rookie mistake just now though that has me never wanting to play the game again though.

I played for a good 2 hours just cruising around taking my time chatting to Everyone, grinding a bit trying to do everything before advancing the story. Then I got the the
White Knight
and died in battle. No big deal I thought I would just re-start some where near by maybe the last area change.... Nope, I forgot this is a DS game not a PS3 game and I started back at my manual save spot removing the 2 hours I just played. I was pretty sad since I thought I had leveled up enough, I had all the top gear available to me but I didn't even stand a chance. I would deal damage and he would heal every 3 turns and recover the damage I dealt.

/sad

Did you power off your game? Even if your whole party dies, you'll just wake up at a church and still have all the XP and items you'd gained up to that point. The only thing you lose is half your gold, and eventually you can start stashing it in the bank so you won't even have that to worry about.

It's up to you if you still want to reset and lose the XP in order to keep the gold. Sometimes it's worth it. :)

[quote name='metaly']Did you power off your game? Even if your whole party dies, you'll just wake up at a church and still have all the XP and items you'd gained up to that point. The only thing you lose is half your gold, and eventually you can start stashing it in the bank so you won't even have that to worry about.

It's up to you if you still want to reset and lose the XP in order to keep the gold. Sometimes it's worth it. :)[/QUOTE]

I did turn it off but I woke up in a church 2 towns back from where I was before I died. I thought for sure everything was just not saved. Now it's worse if it had saved everything and I just turned it off out of frustration lol.

I'll replay it just man I felt mad.

I'm at the final dungeon but have no interest in finishing the game.

After realizing I can't complete some of the alchemy (even though I have the ingredients) until post-game, the tedious nature of some quests that give rewards of equipment of less value than what I have I just feel done with it all.

[quote name='Backlash']Yeah you wake up where you last saved but you don't lose anything other than gold. At least now you know.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense now I was just sure since I was back in the old town that I was just restarting from my last save. I didn't even have any gold I just spent it all lol. Oh well, a few hours of replaying won't be too bad.

Just in case anyone's still playing this, this week DQVC is selling the ultra-rare rusty equipment, which you use to make Erdrick's armor set.

Just a few weeks to go until the last quest!

[quote name='metaly']Just in case anyone's still playing this, this week DQVC is selling the ultra-rare rusty equipment, which you use to make Erdrick's armor set.

Just a few weeks to go until the last quest![/QUOTE]

is it one quest per week or can you download all of the quest at once

[quote name='slidecage']is it one quest per week or can you download all of the quest at once[/QUOTE]

I think it downloads every quest that's been released so far once you connect.

someone on another site said you can only download one quest per 24 hours i wonder if that is still correct....

anyone know the final day you can download all of these things and how far do you need to be ( still got it sealed )

[quote name='slidecage']is it one quest per week or can you download all of the quest at once[/QUOTE]

Any time you connect you download all available quests that have been released.

if im just opening it up tonight

1... how far do i have to play before i can start downloading quest

2... how long does it take to download the quest ... if i never download any of them ( i think there is like what 64 anyone know how long to download all at once)

3.... is there a certain shut off date nintendo is going to remove the download feature ??

just opened it played it around 30 mins and find it sort of boring.. not really sure i want to play it just to be able to unlock the quest unless its very short and i can unlock them and play it later

Thanks

bread's done
Back