Dragon's Crown for PS3 (49.99) and Vita (39.99) - 8/6/2013

[quote name='renique46']I love this gem

"Why complain? Because it's embarrassing. Because I wouldn't want to be seen playing it in public. Because I love Japanese games and Japanese RPGs and I don't want them to perpetuate the ugly "boys' club" mentality that has pervaded gaming for almost three decades now."

Guarantee you this idiot or some others that also feel "embarrassed" by playing something like this in public are most likely the same people that go apeshit and have no problem playing a goddamn yellow pikachu themed 3ds in public ffs.:roll:[/QUOTE]

lol, no shit. I'd be embarrassed to be playing a Vita in public, period.

I get where the author coming from (and the artist's response was pretty juvenile and homophobic) but he's making a mountain out of a molehill on this one. Also, lol Shitaku: the most yellow, bullshit gaming blog on the web. Keep earning those pageviews!

I really wish this would've stayed at $30 since I have it preordered through Newegg with a $12 off credit. We're stoked since my wife is a huge Golden Axe fan and this looks to be right up that alley.

There is a certain degree of justification for complaining about the portrayal of women in games. It is a real problem, and should be addressed. At the same time, this is not the game that is going to pioneer a new attitude toward gender politics in the gaming space. A cursory inspection of Vanillaware's back-catalog will demonstrate that these character designs are pretty much par for the course as far as their art direction is concerned.

Also, it is a different matter to ask a Japanese artist working on a Japanese game to address the feminine figure with more restraint. Japanese culture takes a different approach to gender politics. And while taking a more international view is a good idea in the modern games industry, its quite obvious that Dragon's Crown is targeted at a primarily Japanese audience. The fact that its coming to the west is actually a bit surprising.

While there is certainly a discussion to be had here, Dragon's Crown probably isn't the right game to be centering the discussion around.

[quote name='renique46']http://art-eater.com/2013/03/from-m...ragons-crown-trailer-is-full-of-epic-homages/

Sad that people dont see stuff like this but would rather focus on fucking breast size being 1 cup larger like that clickbait troll from shitaku[/QUOTE]

Pretty awesome look at the trailer.

I've got my copy preordered at BB. It might plummet in price but dammit, someone deserves props for making a (relatively) big-budget hack and slash game nowadays.

When I heard someone said that he would feel embarrassed playing this game(as sorceress) in public, I just facepalm.

There's nothing wrong with objecting to this kind of imagery. For some people, this approach to female portrayal is just going to be seen as offensive or wrong. And that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and tastes. If some people decide to boycott the game because of some of the content, that is their right.

However, I will personally be purchasing this game the day it comes out. While I can sympathize with avoiding female objectification, any desire I have to treat women with respect is outweighed by my love of Vanillaware's art-style. I've bought all of their past games that have come to Western shores, and Dragon's Crown will be no different.

I think the reason why the Sorceress's giant bust size doesn't bug me in this game is because it fits into the game's exaggerated craziness. There are giant dragons, giant knights, even giant dwarves...why wouldn't there be giant titties too? Not that I've played the game yet or anything but other than her bouncing idle animation I didn't see anything else overtly sexual about her character. It's not like the developers are suddenly handing you a little blood-soaked trophy with "BITCHES AIN'T SHIT" engraved on it like prepatch GoW:A did or having her mime blowjobs. I'm not saying there won't be anything like that in the final game but based on the trailers it seems like everyone is freaking out over a piece of concept art and an idle animation.

Also, because it can't be said enough: fuck KOTAKU

[quote name='Vinny']At least they're bringing it over here... I'm still sad that Grand Knights History didn't make it over.[/QUOTE]

It can be imported fairly cheaply if you go about it right (DV8CAG.com) thing to remember though half of the game is gimped since you were suppose to train your characters then send them off into the big battle online. Still the single player part if beautiful to look at and play and it's not too impossible to get through if you don't know any JPN.

[quote name='Halo05']Pretty awesome look at the trailer.

I've got my copy preordered at BB. It might plummet in price but dammit, someone deserves props for making a (relatively) big-budget hack and slash game nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm torn if I'm going to go day one too or not, I want to support this awesome game, but I haven't splurged for full price in ages (Shinobi PS2 was the last game I did that for) I still have two months to decide, so we'll see.

And this sexism thing with this game, grow the fuck up. I swear, all I've been reading lately is feminism this and sexism that, kickstarter about women gamers being slandered. How's about we go back to what's important, the games, and everything else'll work itself out in the end. ;)

[quote name='MetalSlugger'] It's not like the developers are suddenly handing you a little blood-soaked trophy with "BITCHES AIN'T SHIT" engraved on it like prepatch GoW:A did[/QUOTE]

god youre dumb

Updated OP with preorder bonus ("Dragon's Crown Artworks" 64pg art book for both Vita and PS3 versions), retailers who are offering preorders, preorder links, new videos, preview from IGN, etc.

This game is shaping up to be very nice; I'm watching for Newegg preorder bonus codes to get one or both of these preordered.

Just a heads up: Free DLC for early adopters until a month after launch. Now this is what I consider day one DLC done right. It not only rewards purchasers at launch but also makes the company money after the initial release, or aftermarket sales. It's just additional voice acting to fit your preference (horse armor anyone?) but it's still a nice gesture considering how dick-ish companies like Capcom can be for far less.

Only about two months away now; can't wait to try this game out!

[quote name='Jodou']Just a heads up: Free DLC for early adopters until a month after launch. Now this is what I consider day one DLC done right. It not only rewards purchasers at launch but also makes the company money after the initial release, or aftermarket sales. It's just additional voice acting to fit your preference (horse armor anyone?) but it's still a nice gesture considering how dick-ish companies like Capcom can be for far less.

Only about two months away now; can't wait to try this game out![/QUOTE]

They had me at the art book, otherwise I was going to wait for a price drop, even though I think this game is pretty awesome.

Preordered the PS3 version because my Vita is at maximum capacity with more games waiting to be loaded onto it once I beat the ones currently loaded...

Yeah the artbook will be sweet. I was just waiting on amazon to update the preorder bonus listing. Been hyped for this game since they started doing the character reveals.

Totally playing as the dwarf first and throwing boulders at stuff.

I beat and loved both Odin's Sphere and GrimGrimoire, but I will be passing on this game. Mainly because I strongly dislike the artwork. Just sharing my irrelevant opinion.

Quick update:  Amazon and Target currently have Dragon's Crown preorders slightly discounted (OP has been updated with new prices and has links to the games on most websites):

PS3 - 45.39

Vita - 37.19

Target still doesn't list the artbook as a preorder bonus though, only Amazon and GS explicitly list that.

just to update you guys regarding the preorder bonus artbook for dragons crown. As bestbuy confirmed they will also be offering it as preorder bonus

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Support/pre-order-bonus-art-books-offered-by-best-buy/td-p/685465
Unfortunately they still don't list the artbook as a preorder bonus for either Vita or PS3 version on the BB product pages, which would make me not want to preorder this game from BB. I already preordered both versions from Amazon since they offer a slight discount and they explicitly list the artbook as a preorder bonus for each version.

I preordered this game a year ago from Newegg because they offered a $10 off coupon code.  Today I got this e-mail:

Thank you for shopping at Newegg.com

Unfortunately, we have been unable to fill the Pre-Order listed below, and it has now been cancelled by our system.  Here are the details for your reference:

Pre Order Summary:

Pre Sales Order Number:

Pre Sales Order Date:
6/30/2012

Item List:

1 x ($49.99) IGNITION DRAGON'S CROWN PS3

$49.99

1 x ($-10.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE

$-10.00

We're sorry we've been unable to complete your order at this time, and hope you will give us another chance to serve your shopping needs in the near future.

If you have any questions, please visit our Contact Us Page.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

I'm guessing they cancelled it because the order had been open for a year, but that seems silly since they always have pre-orders for games that are over a year away from release.  I'd had second thoughts about buying the game, though, so I don't think I'm going to contact them about it.  Still, that's just weird.

I preordered this game a year ago from Newegg because they offered a $10 off coupon code. Today I got this e-mail:

Thank you for shopping at Newegg.com.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to fill the Pre-Order listed below, and it has now been cancelled by our system. Here are the details for your reference:

Pre Order Summary:

Pre Sales Order Number:

Pre Sales Order Date:
6/30/2012

Item List:
1 x ($49.99) IGNITION DRAGON'S CROWN PS3 $49.99 1 x ($-10.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE $-10.00

We're sorry we've been unable to complete your order at this time, and hope you will give us another chance to serve your shopping needs in the near future.

If you have any questions, please visit our Contact Us Page.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

I'm guessing they cancelled it because the order had been open for a year, but that seems silly since they always have pre-orders for games that are over a year away from release. I'd had second thoughts about buying the game, though, so I don't think I'm going to contact them about it. Still, that's just weird.
Amazon put Dragon's Crown up way too early as well (when Ignition was going to publish it, which later changed to Atlus), and I preordered both the Vita and PS3 versions (@ $29.99 for each version, very low prices). They cancelled both preorders when that publisher backed out (or fell through), then they put up new product pages later when Atlus took over the publishing (at the new higher prices of $40 Vita and $50 PS3). I think your Newegg order met the same fate as my early Amazon orders.

Honestly, you're better off ordering this from either Amazon or GS (and possibly BB if they ever update their product pages) to make sure you get the artbook. Newegg still doesn't list that as a preorder bonus, so you can't count on them providing it, and it's probably worth getting when you pick up the game. Amazon has both versions slightly discounted so that helps a little too.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ At least I saw reports of Amazon honoring their previous prices so you can still see if you can get it for $30 a pop. Newegg, unfortunately, your SOL.

I preordered this game a year ago from Newegg because they offered a $10 off coupon code. Today I got this e-mail:
Got my today also... Looks to be a 1 year preorder limit. I'm talking to customer service right now. Will update soon.

Edit: Got blamed for the cancellation and told I could reorder it. Linked to your above post to prove otherwise and then was told they would honor the 10 dollar off coupon if I reordered. (The funds would be given back 3-5 days later. A note was left on my account and all I would have to do is contact them again or email Emma directly.)

Its newegg so I feel I should trust them but this really rubbed me the wrong way...

Got my today also... Looks to be a 1 year preorder limit. I'm talking to customer service right now. Will update soon.

Edit: Got blamed for the cancellation and told I could reorder it. Linked to your above post to prove otherwise and then was told they would honor the 10 dollar off coupon if I reordered. (The funds would be given back 3-5 days later. A note was left on my account and all I would have to do is contact them again or email Emma directly.)

Its newegg so I feel I should trust them but this really rubbed me the wrong way...
newegg has been sketchy regarding preorders, sometimes they oversold on it, and cancel preorders. I would advise against preordering from newegg, if you really want your game. Unless, you do not care.

are you guys actually getting the game on release date?
Absolutely, I have it preordered from Amazon, both versions (Vita and PS3). Love this style of game and really want to support it, and I want the artbooks too which is what pushed me over the edge to preorder from Amazon (GS offers the artbooks too, BB supposedly is going to but not confirmed on their product pages yet).

On a related note, a new series of Dragon's Crown preview videos from IGN started today. There will be one new video every day this week about different aspects of the game. The article title on IGN is: "IGN's Dragon's Crown Week is Coming Soon". Here's the article link:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/05/igns-dragons-crown-week-is-coming-soon

The first video (Monday July 8) is about character classes. Next videos coming up will be:

Tuesday July 9 - The Loot and Equipment System, Fully Explained
Wednesday July 10 - The Finer Points of Combat
Thursday July 11 - Exploring the World of Hydeland
Friday July 12 - Meet the Enemies (and Bosses!)

Touché. At least it's good news about taking your progress with you on a mobile device.
I pre-ordered the game from Amazon. I was planning on getting it at or near launch anyway, but the artbook pre-order bonus sealed the deal for me. I love Vanillaware's art, an artbook for their latest title is right up my alley.

I also picked up Muramasa: Rebirth for the Vita, and got some time to play it over the 4th of July weekend. The game looks absolutely gorgeous on the Vita. It also controls really well. I have a copy of it for the Wii, but the Wiimote was never the right way to play that game. It really gets a chance to shine on the Vita with higher-definition graphics that really show off the colorful art.

Haven't seen anyone post this yet, so here are some sample pages from the art book.  It's only the cover and five pages to preview with one being the content page in Japanese, but It still looks like a worthwhile bonus.

newegg has been sketchy regarding preorders, sometimes they oversold on it, and cancel preorders. I would advise against preordering from newegg, if you really want your game. Unless, you do not care.
Yeah, I don't know if I'll go with Best Buy or Amazon... I got 25 off at Best Buy but with Amazon I should get the art book with no fuss.

Only 1 trophy requires a level to achieve and only 1 character needs to do it. So in essence, unless the campaign is super long, probably only 50 hours.

Only 1 trophy requires a level to achieve and only 1 character needs to do it. So in essence, unless the campaign is super long, probably only 50 hours.
each character story is 20 hours according to interviews. if you have to do all 6, right there is 120 hours. unless you can just skip everything and beat the last boss with a character, but itll have to be leveled enough.

each character story is 20 hours according to interviews. if you have to do all 6, right there is 120 hours. unless you can just skip everything and beat the last boss with a character, but itll have to be leveled enough.
That can't be right, considering the VITA version. Maybe 20 hours total for all characters.

Edit: unless they cut corners for the VITA.

I just realized this comes out the same day as Tales of Xillia as well as Mario and Luigi Dream Team later in the week. Gonna be an expensive week...

bread's done
Back