Ducktales Remastered retail release - $20 PS360/Wii U (PS3 DLC voucher available now, physical releases 11/12)

MetalSlugger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Physical disc version of Ducktales Remastered for PS3/360/Wii U coming Nov. 12: http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/09/18/ducktales-remastered-is-headed-to-retail-stores

PS3 voucher version details below...pretty pointless since the PS3 physical release will have the same cover art.  The only bonus for buying the voucher version is the exclusive DR pin.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/08/20/limited-boxed-version-of-ducktales-remastered-available-now-in-the-us

Sounds like this is going to be EXTREMELY hard to find. Barely any of the GameStops around me had it, and the copy I picked up was the only copy that store received. I'd grab it ASAP if you want it...$5 more for a nice-looking case and collector's pin. Yes, it sucks that it's a DL token and not a game disc but for me this was a no brainer.

GameStop (instore only)
Target website (instore only)

Target stock checker

Capcom online store
TRU item number: 013388991624

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the appeal of this. I'm a collector and nearly all my games are 100% complete, besides cartridge retro. I also vastly prefer physical media to digital distribution. Yet I don't understand buying a box for a game when there's no disc to put inside of it. Can someone explain to me what the fuck is up with this? Is it to give the illusion that you own a physical copy of the game?
My background is in advertising. Our job is to sell morons air.

I don't understand the appeal of this. I'm a collector and nearly all my games are 100% complete, besides cartridge retro. I also vastly prefer physical media to digital distribution. Yet I don't understand buying a box for a game when there's no disc to put inside of it. Can someone explain to me what the fuck is up with this? Is it to give the illusion that you own a physical copy of the game?
The point is the pin. Disney pin collecting/trading is a massive hobby. There are people who go to Disney parks solely to find employees who have the employee exclusive pins and trade with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_pin_trading

People really are freaking nuts with their collecting of Disney stuff. I was in the Disney Movie Club thread over on bluray.com looking for info and I swear 70% of the posts are people talking about which blu ray titles come with slipcovers. Different from this pin nonsense, I know, but that is what came to mind when I saw it being discussed here.

People really are freaking nuts with their collecting of Disney stuff. I was in the Disney Movie Club thread over on bluray.com looking for info and I swear 70% of the posts are people talking about which blu ray titles come with slipcovers. Different from this pin nonsense, I know, but that is what came to mind when I saw it being discussed here.
The slipcover thing isnt exclusive to the Disney fans, check out how much a Beetlejuice slip goes for. Some people go nuts for slips.

Thought experiment: if the collector's pin and DL voucher were packaged in something that wasn't a PS3 game case, would you all still be bitching about the lack of a disc?

Finished this on the Wii U. For someone who loved both the game and the cartoon, it was excellent. The voiceacting was the original voice actors (Scrooge is 92) and the dialog sounds as silly as the cartoons.

The last level.. wow, the difficulty jumps. The one thing to remember is that if you're falling, just continually hold up + left/right to grab a rope. You don't have to time anything. (Just like the original NES version.) Had to look that up.

I was on the fence on this one, but kept checking the store inventory at Gamestops and Targets in LA the past few days. The display case was empty, btw, and the inventory checker scanners in the store indicated there were none in the stockroom, which is why I believe this store did not sell out of theirs yet.  Luckily the electronics employee said there were "a few in the back".  

Here is the Target online inventory checker for it, in case Target's online page for the game is removed.

I was at TRU and couldn't find two other games to justify this for the $40 sale or paying $20 for it. But given that this is a Disney related item, I'm guessing it has a higher chance of becoming valuable in the future than other games so I just bought one. I got the 2nd to last one but there's no way to know how many they actually got in. 

Just an f.y.i for anyone who's thinking about storing the DuckTales box away without opening it to redeem the codes right away. The codes do expire. I had to learn this the hard way when I bought the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 version a few years ago and waited months, because I had a huge backlog and too many things going on in life at the time, before I opened it to use the code. When I tried to input it, I got an error message that said the code was used or invalid and the code doesn't have an expiration date printed on it. I contacted Capcom about this and never got a response from them. Hope this helps someone out.
Man, you've just kept it sealed if you weren't going to open it right away. They are still selling for a crazy amount now.

Hmm, looks like my local target has it in stock and I am going to be going there tomorrow anyway for the walking dead. Seems like you could make a profit selling I wonder if I could make my money back selling just the case and pin. Looking at ebay right now, seems like almost definitely yes.

Well that sucks, I went to buy it from the Capcom store and it was sold out. I guess off to Walmart or Target.

Good thing I hunted this down when I did.  All the Targets and Gamestops around me show Out of Stock.

The point is the pin. Disney pin collecting/trading is a massive hobby. There are people who go to Disney parks solely to find employees who have the employee exclusive pins and trade with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_pin_trading
But from what I've seen of pictures there not official Disney trading pins. The official pins have mickey head shaped pin caps.

I still plan on getting the pin somehow but just a heads up

It was easy to find, it was readily available, it just happened to have a small print...

if it's a small print, then it's not easy to find!! I've said in this thread many times every store within 40 miles of me was sold out of this by thursday. Luickly I was able to get it online (if it even ships). It's not easy to find if it sells out in less than a week! And it sure wasn't readily available if all my stores are sold out.

if it's a small print, then it's not easy to find!! I've said in this thread many times every store within 40 miles of me was sold out of this by thursday. Luickly I was able to get it online (if it even ships). It's not easy to find if it sells out in less than a week! And it sure wasn't readily available if all my stores are sold out.
Wow...

Thought experiment: if the collector's pin and DL voucher were packaged in something that wasn't a PS3 game case, would you all still be bitching about the lack of a disc?

Depends what it is and how it works.

If it was another game? Most likely.

If it was a movie? Depends how the download works. If I can download it / burn to a disc, then I don't see people complaining. If it's via a stream service? I think people would complain.

If it was a CD? Assuming it worked on your average MP3 player, no.

While I don't personally think it matters all too much, I do see where the complaints come from. People are buying something physical and want something like Super Luigi U (which comes with a disc). This ensures there will never come a time when the game won't work (just go with it), where as your digital collection only has value till the service is cut off.

But from what I've seen of pictures there not official Disney trading pins. The official pins have mickey head shaped pin caps.

I still plan on getting the pin somehow but just a heads up
Being official and unofficial has nothing to do with the backing. Capcom must have the rights to make these (I can't see Disney letting them without the rights), so that in turn makes them official.

All I know is the Press Kit is REALLY limited, with a numbered 150 print run.  I'd love to get my hands on one (at a ridiculously cheap/below market value price, of course), not to mention the Megaman 9 cart.  Given how many Targets and Gamestops there are in the LA/SoCal area, it's stunning to see how many of the locations have gone out of stock within a week of release. I would estimate less than half of the Gamestops within 100 miles of me still have it in stock, and while there is no easy way to ascertain what quantities each individual store received, judging from review of the stores that still have it in stock it has sold quite briskly.

I say that because almost no locations outside of ghetto/barrio areas and far out of the way exurbs have it in stock, and of those that do, only one or two have more than 2 copies (as indicated by "in stock" rather that "low stock" at Gamestop or "limited availability" at Target).  Out of 105 locations (was 200+ locations last week) that the store inventory checker returned as having it in stock, only 7 locations do not show it as "low stock", locations such as Compton, Bakersfield, LBC, Cudahy, etc. - locations that I would have to think would be the least likely to get higher inventories than locations at major malls in higher population/more affluent areas, which are all sold out.  Ergo, it is selling quite well, and discussions/threads such as this one will undoubtedly only fuel demand and subsequent sales...so if you want it I'd suggest getting one sooner rather that later, unless you prefer to be forced to start driving VERY far on the hope of acquiring one, or attempting store transfers from some remote Gamestop.

Being official and unofficial has nothing to do with the backing. Capcom must have the rights to make these (I can't see Disney letting them without the rights), so that in turn makes them official.
You would not be allowed to trade this in a Disney park, making it unofficial. It's quite a bit lower quality as well, even compared to some of the super cheap trading pins.

http://disney.go.com/eventservices/whatispintrading.html

No, it is not a disney trading pin. It may still be an official product, but Disney pin is a specific type of pin.
Then things have changed a LOT, since I use to mess around with them like 5 - 7 years ago.

Upon reading that... it seems that this would simply be rejected because it's an epoxy pin. Not because of some nonsense about the backing like the other person was claiming.

I'm sure some might, but I wouldn't since I never would of bought it lol. I heard of a retail release of Ducktales, and saw it at Gamestop and puchased it expecting fully to have a disc included. Their "New" stickers conveniently was placed right over the spot where it says "digital copy only" on both the display case and the sealed case I was given so I had no idea it was just a dlc code. Nor is it something most would even expect. I just think its silly to have a retail case/coverart with nothing inside while advertising it as a retail edition of the game. Oh well I guess I'll ebay it down the road as I have little interest in a pin.

Then things have changed a LOT, since I use to mess around with them like 5 - 7 years ago.

Upon reading that... it seems that this would simply be rejected because it's an epoxy pin. Not because of some nonsense about the backing like the other person was claiming.
I thought the ones with the mouse ears on the back were only given to workers at the park to trade. AKA the "Hidden Mickey" pins. The ones you can buy didnt have the stamp, or thats how I understood it

sold out at capcom website.. so in your face to those people who say this thing isn't rare and is easy to find..
Damn, that was fast. Edited OP and title.

Two weeks from now the only available copies will be up on eBay for two to three times MSRP and all of the "sobz no disck" whiners will start bitching about how they can't find any local stock.

Went to my Walmart. Only place in town with them. They had four, I bought three.

Even if I can't unload them in the future I've spent $60 on far worse.

I'm sure some might, but I wouldn't since I never would of bought it lol. I heard of a retail release of Ducktales, and saw it at Gamestop and puchased it expecting fully to have a disc included. Their "New" stickers conveniently was placed right over the spot where it says "digital copy only" on both the display case and the sealed case I was given so I had no idea it was just a dlc code. Nor is it something most would even expect. I just think its silly to have a retail case/coverart with nothing inside while advertising it as a retail edition of the game. Oh well I guess I'll ebay it down the road as I have little interest in a pin.
that's better than the one I found at gamestop.. it was the last copy and it was opened. I asked the manager what happens if the code has already been redeemed? He told me there is no refunds. I asked him well what happens if an employee redeemed the code themselves (as the code has just been sitting in the drawer by the register) and they are basically just selling me an empty case? He said well if i'm so worried about it then I should just buy it on PSN.

why they open their stuff like this I don't know, I hate shopping there.

Damn, that was fast. Edited OP and title.

Two weeks from now the only available copies will be up on eBay for two to three times MSRP and all of the "sobz no disck" whiners will start bitching about how they can't find any local stock.

Went to my Walmart. Only place in town with them. They had four, I bought three.

Even if I can't unload them in the future I've spent $60 on far worse.
Why do I have the feeling people like you are causing the apparent shortage / demand.

Why do I have the feeling people like you are causing the apparent shortage / demand.
The next person that goes to WM will see one copy, buy it, and list it on eBay for $50. The person after that will go into WM, see the empty spot, and pay $50 for said copy.

Because you're probably right. However it is fact that Disney stuff is ridiculously collectible.

I'm not complaining or anything and really more power to ya. Just found MetalSluggers post funny. Especially since you replied right after with buying 3.

The next person that goes to WM will see one copy, buy it, and list it on eBay for $50. The person after that will go into WM, see the empty spot, and pay $50 for said copy.
Most likely, though you forgot one thing. The eBayer will tell all the people on the internet that they scored this super rare game for only $50 dollars when they go for $300+ for the box art alone.

And? The only people who can even find the damn thing are people trawling through hidden stock checkers and hitting up every physical location they can get to. This package was made for and marketed to people who are stoked enough about it to put in the effort to track it down, not the average game buyer looking for a new budget title. Hell, there wasn't even a hard release date; I only found out about it through that Capcom blog post.

The retail package has a limited print run, which is selling out. In a year or so anyone who wants the retail package will have to pay whatever amount the secondary market has settled on. Based on what's happening right now it will be much higher than $20. No matter how silly that seems to people, that's the reality. It doesn't matter if the shortage is caused by speculators, or if the demand is caused by crazy collectors: there is a market here.

Was buying diaper for my son at babies r us and saw 2 copies. They currently have buy 3 ($19.99 or less) for $40 promo so I picked up both copies plus lollipop chainsaw for PS3.

And? The only people who can even find the damn thing are people trawling through hidden stock checkers and hitting up every physical location they can get to. This package was made for and marketed to people who are stoked enough about it to put in the effort to track it down, not the average game buyer looking for a new budget title. Hell, there wasn't even a hard release date; I only found out about it through that Capcom blog post.
is there a "hidden stock checker" for toysrus/walmart?

I don't know why you guys keep saying that the value of the pin is going to go up despite not being an official trading pin JUST because its a Disney product.  I remember a lot of hardcore pin fans were upset back when Epic Mickey 2's pin was also not an official pin.  No offense, but if you buy this, you're basically buying a $5 trinket of memorabilia.  Cool memorabilia at that.

I used site to store pickup on GS's website the other day for it. I was originally going to downloaded but I figured why not get the physical stuff and some PUR points. I'm really liking the game so far. They did an excellent job at keeping the fee of the original. I didn't really know what to do with the case, so I just put it with my PS3 games. It's nice to have if nothing else.

I don't know why you guys keep saying that the value of the pin is going to go up despite not being an official trading pin JUST because its a Disney product. I remember a lot of hardcore pin fans were upset back when Epic Mickey 2's pin was also not an official pin. No offense, but if you buy this, you're basically buying a $5 trinket of memorabilia. Cool memorabilia at that.
$5 trinket? True...but heh, it probably costs no more than a few cents to whip up the entire physical package - a slip of paper printed with a unique GUID, stuffed in a bluray case with a case insert, with a pin that probably makes up the bulk of the costs to mass produce, at what, a nickel a piece? A dime? in any case, I have absolute confidence that people will be paying a lot more than we have on the secondary market to buy this $5 trinket of cool memorabilia at some point in the future.

$5 trinket? True...but heh, it probably costs no more than a few cents to whip up the entire physical package - a slip of paper printed with a unique GUID, stuffed in a bluray case with a case insert, with a pin that probably makes up the bulk of the costs to mass produce, at what, a nickel a piece? A dime? in any case, I have absolute confidence that people will be paying a lot more than we have on the secondary market to buy this $5 trinket of cool memorabilia at some point in the future.
There are dozens on Ebay already from E3 and other events. You got a pin and poster just for playing the demo so they are not uncommon. It was actually going for a bit more before the boxed copy came out, but you could still probably get $15.

There are dozens on Ebay already from E3 and other events. You got a pin and poster just for playing the demo so they are not uncommon. It was actually going for a bit more before the boxed copy came out, but you could still probably get $15.
I got the DuckTales poster at Comic Con this year and I managed to get the PS3 box at GameStop just now.

bread's done
Back