E3 2014 General Discussion Thread: Bring On The Games!

Not too bad from Nintendo. But certainly not enough footage for their new, big titles (Star Fox, Zelda).

Also, missing reveals for Poke'mon Snap 2 and some other Wii U Poke'mon game are sorely noticed. Keep dreaming, I guess.

Decent conferences overall, but nothing too memorable I suppose.

I'm disappointed 3ds or xbox didn't have any good sales to coincide with E3

Last edited by a moderator:
They showed like half an hour of gameplay of Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors along with that Splattoon game, and then the two robot games by Miyamoto on the Treehouse thing so far, they all looked pretty fun so far, definitely neat to have these lengthy sections with one game to be able to show it all off I suppose

They showed like half an hour of gameplay of Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors along with that Splattoon game, and then the two robot games by Miyamoto on the Treehouse thing so far, they all looked pretty fun so far, definitely neat to have these lengthy sections with one game to be able to show it all off I suppose
I like those long gameplay segments. Really show how the game will play compared to like a 2 minute time frame type demo. I'm enjoying watching Destiny, Evolve, and Battlefield Hardline games being played since you get a good idea of how it will play.

I don't want the game spoiled, so I avoided those long demos.

The Smash Invitational was quite entertaining, even with the lackluster game journalist matches and Doritos Pope phoning his shit in like he didn't want to be there.

1. Square Enix is not the juggernaut that they once were. Having them on-board for the Wii U wouldn't mean much at all.

2. JRPGs are not the most popular genre anymore. Their time in the sun is done, and they no longer influence hardware decisions.

3. They showed off the sequel to Xenoblade, so at least one high-profile critically-acclaimed JRPG is coming to the Wii U.

4. If you care about JRPGs so much, then go ahead and sell your Wii U, and then buy either a Vita, or the upcoming Vita TV. That's where most of the JRPG titles are dropping at the moment.
Final Fantasy 13 seems to have done quite well. Certainly better than any Wii U game.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

Bp0PIjRCIAAnD8G.png

So as far as i can tell, aside from sports games, assassins creed unity, Farcry 4, and Master Chief Collection, is there any worth while games coming out for PS4 or Xbox One this year? Most of the games im interested in dont come out until 2015.

EDIT: Looks like Crackdown has a 2014 release date on amazon (dec 31 though so idk)

Today is basically Nintendo Day. Not only did they do a good job, but they are still announcing stuff @ http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/37684/super-smash-bros-developer-discussion-live-blog. There's a round table discussion going on now (text only) where they announced yet another playable character to Smash Bros.. I'll put it in spoilers but don't be surprised if images appear in the next few days:

PAC MAN  

There was a lot to absorb with Nintendo so I want to wait until tomorrow so type out all of my thoughts.

Nintendo killed it today.

Sony had the better press conference but Nintendo had the better coverage. For me today was basically Nintendo day starting with the Direct at 12pm and then going into the Treehouse and the Smash Invitational. For the first time I actually felt like I was at E3 and other companies' games became completely irrelevant to me. 

I'll probably spend the next two days on Nintendo's twitch channel waiting to see what they unveil next and then get caught up on the other games for the PS4 and XBone after the fact. 

Zelda looked amazing. X looks great although the character models / animations are rough. Mario Maker looks very enticing. Captain Toad had me excited. The other games that made me sit up and pay attention from the other conferences were Valiant Hearts, Bloodbourne, Inside, No Man's Sky, and Arkham Knight, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. 

This E3 didn't have anything that looked like a megaton like Skyrim but there's enough here to keep me playing for the rest of the year and feeling good about the industry.

Here is the Direct, Treehouse, and Smash Invitational. The entire thing constitutes 10 hours of coverage. Good luck getting through it all. It's pretty damn thorough.

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/b/537201099

I can't wait for more Nintendo announcements. I know people hate on Nintendo so much but they seem the most genuine in a lot of the things they do. They might not always be popular, or for pure gamers, but a lot of things have heart. I would literally cry if Tetris Puyo Puyo or Dragon Quest VII are announced. Both are extremly high wants and match 2 particular niches I like (puzzle games and RPGs). I can't wait for tomorrow's announcements. Also that squid FPS thing just looked fun. That is what kids should be playing instead of being potty mouths in CoD...

Final Fantasy 13 seems to have done quite well. Certainly better than any Wii U game.

I, uh, really wasn't inviting a direct comparison. I even recommended that anyone focused on JRPGs ditch the Wii U.

It's just the truth that Square Enix is no longer the powerhouse they once were. From the SNES to the PS2 they were one of the biggest names in the industry. The transition to next-gen graphical development has been hard on them, and they are still struggling to adapt. Some of the best games that have come out of their studios in recent years have come from the former Eidos. (Square Enix's current European branch that they bought a few years back) Now Tomb Raider and Deus Ex are more successful and critically acclaimed for them than Final Fantasy.

This has been a trend throughout the Japanese game industry. And it's part of the reason why I recommended the PS Vita for fans of the genre. The Wii U is getting Xenoblade Chronicles X, but aside from that the JRPG pickings are going to be very lean. Right now Sony platforms, and the PS Vita in particular are the go-to source for JRPG titles. The PS3 is also getting some titles that are getting ported over, but it's more of a trickle. The Vita is benefiting from Japanese developers looking to take a baby step into next-gen graphics, instead of the full plunge that the PS3 represents.

And, as always, the XBox One is a terrible platform for JRPGs, thanks to Microsoft's continuing failure to break into that market.

1. Square Enix is not the juggernaut that they once were. Having them on-board for the Wii U wouldn't mean much at all.

2. JRPGs are not the most popular genre anymore. Their time in the sun is done, and they no longer influence hardware decisions.

3. They showed off the sequel to Xenoblade, so at least one high-profile critically-acclaimed JRPG is coming to the Wii U.

4. If you care about JRPGs so much, then go ahead and sell your Wii U, and then buy either a Vita, or the upcoming Vita TV. That's where most of the JRPG titles are dropping at the moment.
Yeah if you HAVE to have JRPG's you need a PS3 and/or a Vita as that's where they're all at now. Wii U has the 2nd most JRPG's readily available with those Operation Rainfall games being backwards compatible, Earthbound, Advance Wars, & Mario & Luigi GBA being on the VC, and Xenoblade Chronicles X and SMT x Fire Emblem upcoming for the system.

So as far as i can tell, aside from sports games, assassins creed unity, Farcry 4, and Master Chief Collection, is there any worth while games coming out for PS4 or Xbox One this year? Most of the games im interested in dont come out until 2015.

EDIT: Looks like Crackdown has a 2014 release date on amazon (dec 31 though so idk)
Dragon Age Inquisition and the Ultimate Evil Edition of Diablo 3. Last of Us Remastered and Metro Redux if you didn't play those before or want the improved versions of them. Forza Horizon 2 and maybe The Crew if you want driving (there's Drive Club on PS4 but I think everyone will just get the free, smaller version of that.)

If you want MP stuff; there's Destiny, BF: Hardline, Evolve, and of course Call of Duty.

Crackdown 3 is next year, all they showed at MS presser was a CG trailer, no gameplay. Also not being shown to the press either.

The only reason FF 13 did so well is there was A LOT of pent up demand for a new FF game since it had been 3.5 years since the previous one and it was the first in HD.

FF fanboys who kept waiting for FF and wouldn't look at any other JRPG's really hurt the genre as some of the best JRPG's ever (Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 3 & 4, and Lost Odyssey) plus some decent ones (Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon) came out in the interim and their low sales have turned JRPG's back into the niche genre it was in the late 80's/early to mid 90's.

Only Demon's Souls then Dark Souls 1/2 scratching the itch of people looking for an extreme challenge and resonating with gamers outside of the JRPG hardcore base made any type of significant sales impact in the generation.

Nintendo killed it today.
This sums it up. Nintendo came out swinging. I think all three did have their good points and not so good points, but Nintendo seemed more polished.

Microsoft did what they needed to do and focus on games, but the conference I saw, there was something that I noticed. The developers, with the exception of 343 studios and the Master Chief collection, just seemed like they were phoning it in. No excitement in their voices whatsover. But what was shown was wall to wall games and have to give them credit.

I just don't know where Sony is heading. After watching it, I literally had a headache. Vita was a disaster. Playstation Tv is only as good as the Vita and Playstation Now (if it even works with your broadband connection). They had some impressive games for PS4, but nothing that would make me run out and buy one at this point. But I'm rooting for them to gain focus on the Vita piece, otherwise, game over for that and Playstation TV would be in the bargain bin in a year.

Nintendo had the energy and the fun factor in the bag. The Smash Bros. Tournament, minus the corny play by play announcers, was solid. Reggie coming out at the end made it even more fun to watch. The Treehouse at E3 was a solid showing for me personally. There are two days left of coverage on even more things not covered in the Digital Event. My wallet Reggie is not ready for Nintendo in the next year. Nintendo has got this E3 nailed.

Call it what you like, Nintendo showed their caring for their fans side, even though it has taken its more than fair share of bashing this last year. Sony just felt too corporate.With missing Jack Tretton, I felt Sony seemed lost. Completely turned off by the new CEO and Andrew House. And Microsoft showed a side to them that pleasantly suprised me, despite the lack of enthusiasm by some of the developers on stage. Phil Spencer is simply doing a much better job than his predecessors.

PS TV will also play digital PSP/PS1 games as well as Vita games and streaming, but it's use for digital games and physical Vita carts will be limited by being restricted to the Vita memory chip format and their high prices.

PS TV will also play digital PSP/PS1 games as well as Vita games and streaming, but it's use for digital games and physical Vita carts will be limited by being restricted to the Vita memory chip format and their high prices.
Yeah vita memory prices ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I still don't understand how anyone can justify them.

Looks like the publishers decided to stack October as their big month of releases. June and July look completely barren. October looks completely INSANE. It's going to be a bloodbath as publishers are going to cannibalize their own sales.

JUNE

Valiant Hearts

Shovel Knight

JULY
Last of Us Remastered
AUGUST
Ultra Street Fighter IV

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Tales of Xillia 2

Madden 15

Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

Infamous: First Light

Wasteland 2

Akiba Strip

Disgaea 4 Vita

SEPTEMBER
The Sims 4

Destiny
NHL 15

Hyrule Warriors

Forza Horizon 2

Fable Anniversary

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution

Danganronpa 2

Persona Ultimax

OCTOBER
Smash Brothers 3DS

Skylanders: Trap Team

Alien: Isolation

Dragon Agel Inquisition

Driveclub

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Battlefield Hardline

Evolve

The Evil Within

Assassin's Creed: Unity

Sunset Overdrive

NOVEMBER

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Halo: Master Chief Collection

The Crew
Far Cry 4

DECEMBER

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix

POTENTIALLY 2014

Bayonetta 2

Crackdown

Smash Bros Wii U

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Deep Down

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Star Citizen

Tales from the Borderlands

Adventure Tales of Hearts R

The Witness

Persona Q

October is stacked. A couple of those games will get lost in the crowd for sure. I hope they decide to move them to either Sept or November.

Too many multiplayer FPS in Sept-Nov....I will get one to play with friends (likely Evolve I love teamwork in multiplayer games). Your release list is missing a few niche games such as Akiba Strip and Disgaea 4 Vita in August and Danganronpa 2 in September and Persona Ultimax whenever, and Persona Q....but I get the idea. These last months are loaded with loads and loads of multiplatform games, niche games, few exclusives here and there.....

Then the Sony conference was better than I thought. Sign me up for Dead Island 2.

Meanwhile, Nintendo Day is not over yet. Behold, the next character revealed on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQFy4flXfU

Did I see Space Invaders thrown in there? Holy crap. 

Looks like the publishers decided to stack October as their big month of releases. June and July look completely barren. October looks completely INSANE. It's going to be a bloodbath as publishers are going to cannibalize their own sales.

JUNE

Valiant Hearts

Shovel Knight

JULY
Last of Us Remastered
AUGUST
Ultra Street Fighter IV

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Tales of Xillia 2

Madden 15

Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney

Infamous: First Light

Wasteland 2

SEPTEMBER
The Sims 4

Destiny
NHL 15

Hyrule Warriors

Forza Horizon 2

Fable Anniversary

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution

OCTOBER
Smash Brothers 3DS

Skylanders: Trap Team

Alien: Isolation

Dragon Agel Inquisition

Driveclub

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Battlefield Hardline

Evolve

The Evil Within

Assassin's Creed: Unity

Sunset Overdrive

NOVEMBER

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Halo: Master Chief Collection

The Crew
Far Cry 4

DECEMBER

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix

POTENTIALLY 2014

Bayonetta 2

Crackdown

Smash Bros Wii U

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Deep Down

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Star Citizen

Tales from the Borderlands

Adventure Tales of Hearts R

The Witness
Weird I don't see mega man 11 anywhere there

Too many multiplayer FPS in Sept-Nov....I will get one to play with friends (likely Evolve I love teamwork in multiplayer games). Your release list is missing a few niche games such as Akiba Strip and Disgaea 4 Vita in August and Danganronpa 2 in September and Persona Ultimax whenever, and Persona Q....but I get the idea. These last months are loaded with loads and loads of multiplatform games, niche games, few exclusives here and there.....
Updated. With the games you mentioned. :)

???

Mega Man doesn't exist in Capcom's eyes....oh my feels!

There is also a Nintendo unknown title being revealed today for 3DS I believe(not sure of the time but I see 2:10 PM PST as just Nintendo demo). I really am hoping for Dragon Quest VII or Tetris Puyo Puyo....make it a good one Nintendo I believe!

This sums it up. Nintendo came out swinging. I think all three did have their good points and not so good points, but Nintendo seemed more polished.

Microsoft did what they needed to do and focus on games, but the conference I saw, there was something that I noticed. The developers, with the exception of 343 studios and the Master Chief collection, just seemed like they were phoning it in. No excitement in their voices whatsover. But what was shown was wall to wall games and have to give them credit.

I just don't know where Sony is heading. After watching it, I literally had a headache. Vita was a disaster. Playstation Tv is only as good as the Vita and Playstation Now (if it even works with your broadband connection). They had some impressive games for PS4, but nothing that would make me run out and buy one at this point. But I'm rooting for them to gain focus on the Vita piece, otherwise, game over for that and Playstation TV would be in the bargain bin in a year.

Nintendo had the energy and the fun factor in the bag. The Smash Bros. Tournament, minus the corny play by play announcers, was solid. Reggie coming out at the end made it even more fun to watch. The Treehouse at E3 was a solid showing for me personally. There are two days left of coverage on even more things not covered in the Digital Event. My wallet Reggie is not ready for Nintendo in the next year. Nintendo has got this E3 nailed.

Call it what you like, Nintendo showed their caring for their fans side, even though it has taken its more than fair share of bashing this last year. Sony just felt too corporate.With missing Jack Tretton, I felt Sony seemed lost. Completely turned off by the new CEO and Andrew House. And Microsoft showed a side to them that pleasantly suprised me, despite the lack of enthusiasm by some of the developers on stage. Phil Spencer is simply doing a much better job than his predecessors.
HQYLpky.gif

I kept wanting to comment on Nintendo's conference, but then they keep announcing stuff. Now there's some turn based 3DS game coming out with Lincoln?!

Their direct was fun. I especially loved the sequence HTTM is referencing with Iwata and Reggie fighting Dragonball Z style. It's weird that they were the only conference that didn't show a first person shooter (Capt. Toad was close). Didn't care for the Pokemon and Splatoon news and I don't know what to think of Amiibo. Everything else looked like it could be fun. I hope their version of Bayonetta 1 is good enough for me to ditch the PS3 version.

As much as I liked it, Sony had the best conference of them all. I was invested in every single game and I can't think of any part I hated (Yes, the "Powers" section was slow but I'm still looking forward to seeing it). However .....

Nintendo won E3.

After the direct, the Nintendo Minute kept showing games. I wish the eShop video was part of the Direct because there was so much in there (funny how Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all had indy compilation videos). Then they actually PLAYED these games .... and talked about them. Then revealed two EXTRA games with Miyamoto .... and played them.

Then of course there was that Smash Brothers tournament which had that packed crowd for people cheering. The commentators were great - especially when the one guy started singing the theme to the MegaMan TV show. It was also great to see Reggie make his first live appearance of the day to award the trophy to the winner. 8 hours of pure Nintendo. Love it.

Great E3 overall. Had something for everyone.

Highlights of E3 this year: Destiny, Sunset Overdrive. 

The Division looked great but the guy presenting it almost put me to sleep.

bread's done
Back