E3 2014 General Discussion Thread: Bring On The Games!

For me I'd say all of the conferences were fairly weak. I loved what I saw of Dragon Age but I was already in the tank for that game. The only exciting reveals were Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4.
I laughed at that title. All I could think about was Rise of the Planet of the Apes when I heard the name lol.

So for me MS had Ori and the blind forest and Crackdown. Sony had The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4.

Does anyone know WTF Let it Die was? When i heard Suda i was like YES! But the video looked like it had real people in it. LOL. Then that skate boarding reaper in the title just made things more confusing.

Eh, this E3 has been quite possibly the best one in a long while, if not ever. Even Ubi's presser was bearable and they're typically the worst lol.
Really? Based on my feelings and the general reactions on the net, this has been one of the poorer E3s in quite some time I would say. I have been disappointingly underwhelmed. Nintendo pretty much has a free-shot tomorrow to take it all.

Really? Based on my feelings and the general reactions on the net, this has been one of the poorer E3s in quite some time I would say. I have been disappointingly underwhelmed. Nintendo pretty much has a free-shot tomorrow to take it all.
This.^
Microsoft at least made me look at the Xbone in a different light, but after I really looked at it the system is still not worth it to me. Everything else was just "eh".

Sony, I can't believe I'm saying this but .... I love you.   Seriously, that conference grabbed me with every single game they announced and showed. Oh sure some of those I knew by name only, but watching them in motion (not dominated by teasers like EA) was just so engaging to me (I got teary eyed during Metal Gear and Batman). I may not like Magika but that trailer made me laugh enough to pay attention to it anyway.

So no one likes Grim Fandango? I thought that was a big reveal and was an answer to that revived title Microsoft announced earlier.

I wanted Sony to focus on more than PS4 and they granted my request. They took some big risks with Vita and made sure people were comforted to know their PS3 still had life left in it. I couldn't be happier.

I take it the TV services are a shot against Amazon Fire TV? That $99 point certainly seemed like it.  Well that and Sony TV's allowing you to play games without additional hardware? It's a whole new meaning to "Smart TV".

Even the part with Brian Michael Bendis wasn't so bad. This is stuff Sony is doing for the first time and they want people to know it. They probably knew people would be bored by the series so they made sure it was known the content would be free with Plus membership.

Biggest surprise for me? Probably seeing GTA V and Dead Island 2. I figured those games were out already.

Your move, Nintendo. I can't wait to see what they have in store tomorrow.

So the Playstation Experience thing in the theatres was cool. Nice to be among other gamers to get a vibe of what others were thinking live.

For free we got guaranteed access to Destiny alpha on Thursday, BF: Hardline beta on Monday, and $5 PSN voucher next week.

For me I'd say all of the conferences were fairly weak. I loved what I saw of Dragon Age but I was already in the tank for that game. The only exciting reveals were Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4.
No Man's Sky blew my mind seeing that in action, surprised it didn't you also.

$450, it's up for preorder on Amazon.
tempting, see as it took sony so long to release ps3 in different colors, and i doubt sony will release a custom theme ps4. if i can scourge up $450 credit, without using real cash. i might jump the ship early onto ps4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Based on my feelings and the general reactions on the net, this has been one of the poorer E3s in quite some time I would say. I have been disappointingly underwhelmed.
The internet is full of reactionary idiots. You know this. Everyone knows this. The internet is a decent cross-section of humanity, and humanity is full of reactionary idiots as well. It follows that on-line communities would reflect this.

Last E3 was exciting because there were hardware announcements. The new consoles, which would help to dictate and define the nature of a good chunk of the industry for the next 8+ years were finally being revealed. Of course it would be more exciting. If you were just defining E3 by excitement levels, there was never any chance that this year would be able to measure up to last year.

You have to actually think about things, and read between the lines.

Microsoft was in a firmly defensive position for their entire show. They leaned heavily on pre-rendered, flashy cinematics for games that have probably barely begun development. Most of the titles that they "revealed" today won't be arriving this year, and possibly not next year either. While their show was big on games and big on flash, there was very little actual substance. The real stand-outs were the Sunset Overdrive trailer and a smattering of indie offerings. The Halo collection is nice, but it is a repackaging of decade-old games. Crackdown and Phantom Dust are both interesting, but we likely won't see either until 2016. Microsoft's press conference was well presented, but there was a constant undercurrent of desperation.

Sony's conference was longer, and much more poorly paced. But anyone familiar with E3 can tell you that this is nothing new. Sony always lags behind in their over-long E3 press conferences. In fact, they get bonus points this year by actually starting on time. (they are notorious for starting 20-30 minutes after their scheduled time) While they didn't have any truly big announcements, they were just as firm on their game messaging as Microsoft was. They also showed far more in-game demonstrations. It's much more likely that most of the games Sony showed will be arriving in the next 12 months. Sony was staying the course this year. They came out of last year with a big win, and this year was simply a continuation of a strategy that they can tell is succeeding. If only they could figure out how to pace their conference properly. They really need to hire someone with a bit more showmanship and theatricality.

I didn't get to see the EA conference, but I don't have a lot of faith in them to begin with.

Ubisoft once again had one of the more watch-able shows. Whoever hired Aisha Tyler deserves a raise. She's easily one of best presenters at E3. Her gender and ethnicity are automatic publicity wins for Ubisoft. The fact that she can handle herself well in front of a crowd, and clearly knows what she's talking about cements her place as a regular E3 fixture. She even dresses in a tasteful and professional fashion that reflects well on herself, Ubisoft, and the industry in general. Kudos Aisha, it was a pleasure to see you in your element again this year! Ubisoft's content was also respectable. They're going to get some racism flack over that Far Cry 4 trailer. But aside from that it was pretty smooth riding.

Sony and MS are close to me, with Sony getting the slight edge with the surprise Suda and LBP3 reveal. Overall a great conference that kind of faltered at the end. However, Sony did fail to convince me to buy a PS4 this holiday as a X1 owner. My goal is to own all 3 systems and I don't think The Last of Us Re-Mastered, LBP3 and Drive Club are enough (especially with Forza Horizon 2 coming out) to get me to buy one this year. I will say with Uncharted 4, The Order and that Demon souls like game out in 2015 it will be impossible for me to resist come later next year. I'd say if you don't own either system though It's a different story: Sony has done damned well to try to get you to buy a PS4, and if you don't care about Halo or Forza then It's likely you would be swayed to buy a PS4 especially with that white bundle.

I think nktrnl leaks really ruined the MS show for me. MS had a great show overall but there was almost no surprises outside of the Dead Rising 3 DLC which prompted me to re-install the game and download the new DLC.

Either way the Master Chief Collection was the best reveal for me imho. $60 for all those maps and content? re-mastered graphics for Halo 2? Shut up and take my money! Between that and all the third party support I'll be fine this holiday. Also, when is D4 coming out?

Nintendo can easily destroy both conferences with a really good direct, but I have a feeling they are just going to show more footage and give dates of Zelda Dynasty Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2 and Smash and that's about it. But I hope I'm wrong and they show off a lot of new content. Nintendo can easily drop the Zelda bomb for holiday 2014 and people will go ape shit.

Ubisoft's conference was pretty damn solid. Aisha Tyler is definitely a great host and makes the conference a lot more watchable. Hell even the workout game interested me and that's quite the task.

EA was a total mess. They shouldn't have even bothered.

So right now I'd say:

Sony B++

Microsoft B+

Ubisoft B-

EA F+

Also this year overall seems like a fun E3 but I wish those odd conferences like the crazy Konami ones would come back. Miss the one million twoops and Dance Masters bizarre stuff.

The internet is full of reactionary idiots. You know this. Everyone knows this. The internet is a decent cross-section of humanity, and humanity is full of reactionary idiots as well. It follows that on-line communities would reflect this.

Last E3 was exciting because there were hardware announcements. The new consoles, which would help to dictate and define the nature of a good chunk of the industry for the next 8+ years were finally being revealed. Of course it would be more exciting. If you were just defining E3 by excitement levels, there was never any chance that this year would be able to measure up to last year.

You have to actually think about things, and read between the lines.

Microsoft was in a firmly defensive position for their entire show. They leaned heavily on pre-rendered, flashy cinematics for games that have probably barely begun development. Most of the titles that they "revealed" today won't be arriving this year, and possibly not next year either. While their show was big on games and big on flash, there was very little actual substance. The real stand-outs were the Sunset Overdrive trailer and a smattering of indie offerings. The Halo collection is nice, but it is a repackaging of decade-old games. Crackdown and Phantom Dust are both interesting, but we likely won't see either until 2016. Microsoft's press conference was well presented, but there was a constant undercurrent of desperation.

Sony's conference was longer, and much more poorly paced. But anyone familiar with E3 can tell you that this is nothing new. Sony always lags behind in their over-long E3 press conferences. In fact, they get bonus points this year by actually starting on time. (they are notorious for starting 20-30 minutes after their scheduled time) While they didn't have any truly big announcements, they were just as firm on their game messaging as Microsoft was. They also showed far more in-game demonstrations. It's much more likely that most of the games Sony showed will be arriving in the next 12 months. Sony was staying the course this year. They came out of last year with a big win, and this year was simply a continuation of a strategy that they can tell is succeeding. If only they could figure out how to pace their conference properly. They really need to hire someone with a bit more showmanship and theatricality.

I didn't get to see the EA conference, but I don't have a lot of faith in them to begin with.

Ubisoft once again had one of the more watch-able shows. Whoever hired Aisha Tyler deserves a raise. She's easily one of best presenters at E3. Her gender and ethnicity are automatic publicity wins for Ubisoft. The fact that she can handle herself well in front of a crowd, and clearly knows what she's talking about cements her place as a regular E3 fixture. She even dresses in a tasteful and professional fashion that reflects well on herself, Ubisoft, and the industry in general. Kudos Aisha, it was a pleasure to see you in your element again this year! Ubisoft's content was also respectable. They're going to get some racism flack over that Far Cry 4 trailer. But aside from that it was pretty smooth riding.
Ubisoft was actually getting sexism flack over the new Rainbow 6 demo.

I let a few drops of pee pass through my urethra when Ubi announced R6, but then they had the, well it will never happen like that, multiplayer demo.  

Turn-offs were:

non gameplay footage.  Forza comes to mind as if I'm going to sit there and watch cars drive  through scenic areas from my virtual perch up on the hillside.  I'm going to be staring out the windshield watching sht go by so fast I can't tell what it looks like until I crash.  

talking about back story of rts-sized figures on the screen who are surrounded by glowing colored circles.  Tomb Raider comes to mind.  Is anyone interested in the back story of the colored circle you will play in this top down Tomb Raider/Gauntlet/rts looking game?  

Glowing colored circles and halos and icons.  I know why they are there, but they stand out way too much in 2014 when your graphics are otherwise photorealistic so you can be "immersed" in the game world.  Well tell me how this (immersion) is possible  with colored icons above the heads of characters?  CAn they not figure out a better way to tell you who is who and where to go?  the AssCreed demo comes to mind.

Did you actually watch the MS conference? The first 60 minutes of their 90 minute press conference were 2014 games.

The past first year on the market "next generation" console E3's were more exciting because someone always came out early.

1st E3 1995:
Saturn announced in stores today for $399.
PSX release date fall 1995 for $299.
Ultra64 delayed until 1996.

E3 1996:
N64 release date late Summer/early fall $249

E3 1999:
Dreamcast release date fall $199.

E3 2000:
PS2 release date fall 2000

E3 2001:
Xbox release date fall 2001.
GCN release date fall 2001.

E3 2005:
Xbox 360 release date fall 2005.

E3 2006:
Wii release date fall 2006.
PS3 release date fall 2006.

E3 2012:
WiiU release date fall 2012.

E3 2013:
PS4 release date fall 2013.
Xbox One release date fall 2013.

See the pattern, let alone handheld announcements. This is an idle year for E3 since the WiiU hasn't brought much excitement as the other consoles brought in their second full year.

spoo said:
Did you actually watch the MS conference? The first 60 minutes of their 90 minute press conference were 2014 games.

The past first year on the market "next generation" console E3's were more exciting because someone always came out early.

1st E3 1995:
Saturn announced in stores today for $399.
PSX release date fall 1995 for $299.
Ultra64 delayed until 1996.

E3 1996:
N64 release date late Summer/early fall $249

E3 1999:
Dreamcast release date fall $199.

E3 2000:
PS2 release date fall 2000

E3 2001:
Xbox release date fall 2001.
GCN release date fall 2001.

E3 2005:
Xbox 360 release date fall 2005.

E3 2006:
Wii release date fall 2006.
PS3 release date fall 2006.

E3 2012:
WiiU release date fall 2012.

E3 2013:
PS4 release date fall 2013.
Xbox One release date fall 2013.

See the pattern, let alone handheld announcements. This is an idle year for E3 since the WiiU hasn't brought much excitement as the other consoles brought in their second full year.
You can't be serious. Just because hardware isn't going to be announced doesn't mean it can't be a good year.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread and thought you were listing the only "exciting" years of E3.

I thought SONY did great last night. I really don't care for LBP3 since those kinds of games are not for me. I did like seeing Batman: Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, and Uncharted 4. Heck, I own GTA V on PS3 and still haven't opened it and now I want it on PS4 instead. Wonder how much credit I can get for it since I bought it on Black Friday last year for $35.

As for MGS V, love the series but to be honest I'm getting tired of these sequels being prequels. Once I played MGS 1, 2, 3 & 4, and played Portable Ops on PSP, the series was over and done with me.

Pro:

Batman: Arkham Knight

Mortal Kombat X

Uncharted 4

GTA V

Destiny

Con:

LBP3

Metal Gear Solid V

It was Rise of the Tomb Raider.

And no, they didn't say but that game has got to be around two years out so I doubt we'll see it on last gen.

Wanted to add some extra comments on Microsoft's conference:

Easily the best one I've seen from them since I started watching a few years ago; ironically, the first one I saw was the worst and included Kinectimals.

Sunset Overdrive made me so happy. Last year I was expecting some skateboarding game in the style of Jet Set Radio and got this dose of fun and game design instead. That, the following Dead Rising DLC trailer, and the announcement of more games from Harmonix were the best 5 minutes of the conference for me.

Another game segment that changed my mind was Project Spark. Last year it was more like "Pet Rock: The Game" but the kinds of games you can create with this (first person shooters now?!) makes this more than some attempt to copy Little Big Planet.

I've never played Halo. I own most of them but just haven't got around to it. But with this collection I have no problem buying it again (it will also save me hard drive space on 360). Games with DLC unlocked plus a series for $60?  Can't pass that up.

I also can't pass up my second favorite game reveal after Sunset Overdrive: Inside.    I liked Limbo so much that I have them on two consoles so to see the developer's next project has me very excited.

Everything else looked good but those were the standouts for me. I wish there was more support for 360 but at worst, we'll see some of those indy games they did a montage of on the console.

My ranking so far: Sony > Microsoft > Ubisoft > EA

Almost all of MS top AAA advertized games were rendered or "we are working on it, see the studio people working on it?".

MS has Halo collection (rehash) and Sunset Drive (I regret this not being on PS4)

Sony's, with exception of PS TV (anyone with a 2nd TV and 1 PS4 needs this) and Powers stuff, was a lot of actual and impressive gameply footage (I went to the theater showing and guess why they did it this way, looks real nice on the big screen) from 3rd parties and promises of alphas and betas for PS4 owners (free online games for PS4 owners).  There best 1st party stuff were mostly rendered and set for next year (uncharted/blood borne).  A few like the Order and LBP3 were ok

Only thing EA impressed me was Dragon Age

If Nintendo can promise impressive stuff being released this year they may get a bump in moving consoles but no 3rd party titles means no guarentee of a steady stream of AAA games.

With me, for Sony, it seems like a fair amount of the cool looking gameplay they showed, Far Cry, Batman, Mortal Kombat will also be on Xbox One. So with me already having a One and not a PS4 there weren't enough big exclusives for me personally that would make me jump on getting a PS4 soon since most of the games they showed that I want to play I can already play. 

I definitely want to play The Order and Bloodborne though, and LBP3 could be interesting since I enjoyed the other ones.

New Yoshi game looks amazing and Captain Toad looks pretty interesting!

Zelda Wii U, great teaser

Bayonetta 2 has Nintendo costumes and comes with Bayonetta 1

Can play as Midna and Zelda in Hyrule Warriors and it has 2 player!

Palutena in Smash!

Reaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy good Nintendo E3 showing. I think a direct is the way to go, keeps things simple and no room for screw ups.

It was short and sweet. ONLY dissapointment to me was that so many titles are 2015. 2015 looks like wallet rape.

Bayonetta 2 with 1 is a really good deal. Open world Zelda is JAW dropping.

Robot chicken made the stream really fun.

I'd give them a solid A. Lots of reasons to buy a Wii U now. Nintendo is giving it their all.

For anyone with a decent amount of income I'd say it's extremely hard to resist owning all 3 systems this gen.

Wow, sounds like a home run for Nintendo today.
They had a little bit of the MIcrosoft problem, where a lot of the games they were announcing won't be out until 2015. Good for riling up the fans, but not as meaningful for the coming year. The new Zelda looks promising, but it's going to be at next year's E3 as well.

The digital, scripted nature of their on-line show gave them a major advantage in terms of presentation. Their presentation beat out all others, but it doesn't get a free pass since it wasn't live. I am personally a fan of Robot Chicken, so seeing them getting hired to help out with the humorous asides was a treat for me.

As far as content was concerned, they were about middle-of-the-road. Not a lot of big announcements, but there was some fairly positive information. Most of the coming Nintendo games appeal to me. Having Bayonetta 1 bundled in with the sequel is great for fans.

I was hoping for something good from Nintendo, but again I am sorely disappointing. The Splatoon game looks like fun, but not $60 fun. Sad to see Nintendo fall so hard, I may even sell my Wii U after such a sad showing. Nintendo needs to make up with Square Enix and get some RPGs on their machines. That is why the SNES is the greatest console ever, tons of great RPGs. Oh well, maybe next year.

I was hoping for something good from Nintendo, but again I am sorely disappointing. The Splatoon game looks like fun, but not $60 fun. Sad to see Nintendo fall so hard, I may even sell my Wii U after such a sad showing. Nintendo needs to make up with Square Enix and get some RPGs on their machines. That is why the SNES is the greatest console ever, tons of great RPGs. Oh well, maybe next year.
lol k bye

You mean they need to make more games that will be practically ignored by the majority of the US to please a small group of fanboys? Yeah, that's the key to mass market success. The SNES had RPGs, and people liked them - but that was not their secret sauce. Square Enix still hasn't shown that they have figured out what went wrong with Final Fantasy, they aren't going to "fix" any platform.

If you want to sell gangbusters in this country, you need to appeal to kids, sports fans or shooter fans - or find a niche like the Wii that attracts non/casual gamers. Ni No Kuni was a phenomenal game, but it's sales (while decent for the genre) are dwarfed by the yearly Madden and Call of Duty games. They need equivalent versions of those mainstream games and a more streamlined online component. Otherwise they can resign themselves to selling Mario and Zelda games to the usual suspects.

Nintendo needs to make up with Square Enix and get some RPGs on their machines. That is why the SNES is the greatest console ever, tons of great RPGs.
1. Square Enix is not the juggernaut that they once were. Having them on-board for the Wii U wouldn't mean much at all.

2. JRPGs are not the most popular genre anymore. Their time in the sun is done, and they no longer influence hardware decisions.

3. They showed off the sequel to Xenoblade, so at least one high-profile critically-acclaimed JRPG is coming to the Wii U.

4. If you care about JRPGs so much, then go ahead and sell your Wii U, and then buy either a Vita, or the upcoming Vita TV. That's where most of the JRPG titles are dropping at the moment.

Yoshi looks fun and Zelda looks amazeballs.  I'm happy.

Bayo 2 includes 1 with all new Nintendo fan service costumes??  I can't preorder any harder Nintendo, gosh.

3ds baby. Reminds me of the glory days too.

Anyone else watns to get rid of their Wii U let me know. I have 4 allday ceder fair park passes (parks include kings dominion and others) and maybe some GC's to trade for it.

I'm probably the only one not impressed by Zelda....open world? HECK YES! Beautiful landscape? Woo!! Cell shading again? No...no. I'm not a graphics person, but I really hate cell shading...=_= It's so ugly & bright to me. Part of the reason I'm not the biggest fan of WW.

Love the way Hyrule Dynasty looks though! Excited for that, Star Fox, Yoshi, & of course Smash Bros.. Like others, I am dissapointed in the lack of 2014 titles...but I understand the work Nitendo puts into their games so I don't mind waiting. And way to make me want Bayonetta!! Never played the first, so I didn't want to buy the second one. It's being bought now!! Woo!

Overall, this was my favorite conference as it has been most years to me. I'm happy with my wii u purchase.

My understanding is that cel shading is often used as a way to save on power, its more about shapes and style rather than textures and detail.  A lot of small japanese jpgs have used it in the past, as has a lot of Suda51 stuff.

I'd say the big 3 all get an A.  Everyone is delivering games to their bases.  Everyone got the message after the NFL/functionality E3 of last year.  Safe but solid.

bread's done
Back