E3 2014 General Discussion Thread: Bring On The Games!

battlefield hardline ending credit, Hell yeah! delicious Doughnut spotted!

Last edited by a moderator:
So far im happy to see Crackdown and new Tomb Raider. Im still hoping for anything on a new Uncharted, God of War, Elder Scrolls, Sleeping Dogs, or Red Dead game.

The twitch livestream is also not loading for me in general (on both the wii u, phone, & computer).
Which is why I'm watching the ign one, twitch is just lagging so hard on everything it's worth watching ign's glitchy stream.

Only thing I thought was cool at X1 conference was graphic style of Sunset Drive.  But even that game looked like a basic shooter starring the Dude you're getting a Dell persona.

Finally got to see the MS conference.  Wow, they ruined Fable.  I'm not a multiplayer guy so Fable and about 50-60% of everything they showed is of zero interest to me.  Of the rest, Crackdown looked alright except that series has always been a B game and not a AAA game.  It's something you buy at the beginning of a console cycle to play on your new console.  No one would have bought a crackdown in 2012 for example.  I didn't see any Quantum Break and they didn't mention Alan Wake.  I don't like Halo but do like Gears and they didn't show Gears.  They did show Dragon Age 3 and I want that game.

The best thing about the entire conference was the Capcom Dead Rising 3 DLC with the Street Fighter tags, that was funny. 

Based on what I saw, there's no reason for me to buy an Xbox One this year.  If Sony has a similar conference there will be no reason to get a PS4 either.  Good thing Dragon Age is coming out on 360.

Even though Crackdown was a B game like you said, it was still heck a fun and i'm glad to see it back. I'm excited for the MOBA game announced at the EA one Dawngate....looks fun enough and hope it will be a game to get my friends to get into MOBAs. Fable game looked boring though...easily one of the weakest games shown at the conference. I liked their conference really...lots of interesting looking exclusives that actually make me want a Xbone.....PS4 guy already though...i'm hoping for good announcements tonight though...otherwise this will be the year of the Niche Vita for me (I will likely get Destiny....not excited but game looks fun enough and will play with friends).

Even though Crackdown was a B game like you said, it was still heck a fun and i'm glad to see it back. I'm excited for the MOBA game announced at the EA one Dawngate....looks fun enough and hope it will be a game to get my friends to get into MOBAs. Fable game looked boring though...easily one of the weakest games shown at the conference. I liked their conference really...lots of interesting looking exclusives that actually make me want a Xbone.....PS4 guy already though...i'm hoping for good announcements tonight though...otherwise this will be the year of the Niche Vita for me (I will likely get Destiny....not excited but game looks fun enough and will play with friends).
Don't get me wrong, I had a good time with Crackdown on the 360, it just wasn't by any stretch of the imagination a AAA game. It was doing things that no one else had done. Now Saint's Row and Infamous have ripped off their superhuman power idea and outdone them. I'm sure it will be a decent game to play while people are waiting for the games they really want to come out but it's no reason to buy a console (at least for me).

EA is underwhelming as hell. They've got nothing coming for a year or more.

Agreed is it sad I was expecting for Battlefield Hardline to be more cops vs robbers? I saw Battlefield 4 in that video....it didn't seem to have much heisting and seemed like a Battlefield 4 extra mode. I guess I wanted a cool looking Payday type copycat or improvement on that type of gameplay. It just looked too much like Battlefield 4.......didn't seem very unique in the gameplay...biggest disappointment for me so far.

Agreed is it sad I was expecting for Battlefield Hardline to be more cops vs robbers? I saw Battlefield 4 in that video....it didn't seem to have much heisting and seemed like a Battlefield 4 extra mode. I guess I wanted a cool looking Payday type copycat or improvement on that type of gameplay. It just looked too much like Battlefield 4.......didn't seem very unique in the gameplay...biggest disappointment for me so far.
I thought they would at least show a teaser trailer for ME4. The fact that they were barely showing concept art makes me wonder if that game will even be out in 2015.

yeah, that is what it looks like. i hope that is not all that is to it.

Anyone know a good place to watch the Sony Press Conference?
Giant Bomb is doing comentary over them. If you want to watch a clean conference with no discussion I'm sure Sony is streaming it on their site somewhere. I think Polygon is doing a clean stream also.

I think crackdown doesnt get the respect it deserves. The first one was great, and im glad it looks like you will be back hunting down bosses. That was half of what made the game fun. I know its not a AAA game, and its probably not going to sell any consoles, but if i had a console already it would be a day 1 purchase for me. Gears of War wasnt there because its only into the game 4 months and there really isnt much to show, plus it probably wont be out until 2016. So it will probably be there next year.

Far Cry 4 is the first game that looks interesting. Insane third-world villain again. White protagonist despite all calls to not have white protagonists anymore. The way they revealed the main character with the selfie was cool. It's going to be the same exact game as 3 but at least it will have an unapologetic storyline and setting. Expect a low score from Polygon and Kotaku articles complaining about white power fantasies and racism.

Aisha's got potty mouth, and it seems like she has a lisp? :?:
I think that's more of nerves. I've watched her standup, & never noticed a lisp (I might be wrong of course).

Anyone else kind of really impressed by that just dance moment? I wish other games could be played with more than a few people locally heh.

Yes, the controversy over racism in Far Cry will continue. Clearly Caucasian antagonist with a British accent? Referring to the ethnic locals as "monkeys?" Caucasian protagonist?

I'm a little bit surprised. It's a first-person shooter, after all. 90% of what you see of the protagonist is his hands. They could have made it any ethnicity or gender they wanted to with minimal effect on the end-user experience. It would have affected the story, but so what? You can adapt a story to a change like that easily enough. It's the game development equivalent of a gimme for socio-political points. This was a landmine they didn't need to poke.

At least the game looks like it have an interesting antagonist. This will likely be a "signature" of the franchise going forward.

Aisha Tyler was a great "get" for Ubisoft. She's easily one of the best presenters at the show, and comes across as much more genuine.

Aishia Taylor or whatever is still better than all of the Microsoft hosts combined. At least there's some personality there.

The Crew is probably the main stand out of this for me so far, kind of a weird conference again as well.  Far Cry should be fun as well! 

Rainbow Six!!! Yes! Heck, ubisoft really has me interested in this new AC. I had lost interest around 3 & black flags, but now I'm really looking forward to it.
Well done ubisoft.

Ubisoft show was fine. Lots of variety like Microsoft and didn't have boring sports game like EA did.  Standouts for me were Far Cry 4, the dancing game that wasn't Just Dance which reminded me of Guitar Hero for feet, and Valiant Hearts with the saddest dog I've seen.

I just don't get Tom Clancy games. That Rainbow Six game was more confusing than exciting. They were invading a house to protect a hostage. I was expecting a "You have the Loot" prompt to show up.

Ranking so far: Microsoft > Ubisoft > EA

Your move, Sony. 

hrm saw vile,zero and jet armor mega man in that dr3 trailer. That's pretty fucking cool

NO! THINK OF THE CANON! On a different note, it must be awful to be the dev of a game published by Bethesda. No matter how cool your game is, people are going to lose all interest when they realize they're not announcing F4.

One thing I didn't like about the Microsoft conference was the lack of support for 360. I hope Sony has some content ready for PS3 users.

Agreed about the 360 support. :/ The more I think about the games already released on the one, the more I realize $500 (or even $400) is just not worth it. So if they just drop support for the 360, I don't want to support their new console until a significant drop happens.
If Sony announces a price drop on the ps3, I'm jumping on that. Wish Microsoft had done that, so I could replace my 4gb 360..

bread's done
Back