E3 2014 General Discussion Thread: Bring On The Games!

I thought Microsoft did a good job. I think people who have an Xbox One will be pleased, but I don't think they showed enough exclusive stuff to get people who got a PS4 first to want to get a Xbox One in 2014. Still, I'm glad they made the shift back to games and somewhat shocked that they totally buried the Kinect in the conference. I think there were a totally of two Kinect games actually shown (Downloadable Dance Central and some indie thing).

Things i liked at the MS press conference...

- Crackdown

- Ori and the blind forest

- Inside

- AC Unity

- Rise of the Tomb Raider

With that said, as someone who is still deciding which next gen system to buy first, MS didnt really show me anything i need to have. All sony really has to show me tonight is Uncharted and God of War and im buying a PS4. I plan to buy both systems but i may not need a Xbox One for another year or two.

Was anyone else kind of embarrassed by Fable Legends?  I'm so sad how this franchise has just devolved into a MOBA without Pete at the helm.  Call me crazy but I loved Fable games for the Brit charm Molyneux tossed into his games.  One of the few franchises I enjoyed on Xbox.

Was anyone else kind of embarrassed by Fable Legends? I'm so sad how this franchise has just devolved into a MOBA without Pete at the helm. Call me crazy but I loved Fable games for the Brit charm Molyneux tossed into his games. One of the few franchises I enjoyed on Xbox.
Yeah I was really confused by that. What I liked about the Fable series is the story and the quirky world and how you create your own character. What they showed was a dungeon crawler with premade characters. It may as well not even be called Fable IMO. Unless that's just the multiplayer mode and it also has a traditional single player/co-op RPG campaign. But that wasn't clear to me.

Is the Sony presser on TV like the Microsoft one was, or is it only be streamed and shown in select theaters?
Sony and Ubisoft will both not be on TV. It'll be streamed on Twitch, local theaters doing the promotion (Sony) and basically any major internet news outlet. I generally watch it on GT.com because their streams have been solid every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was anyone else kind of embarrassed by Fable Legends? I'm so sad how this franchise has just devolved into a MOBA without Pete at the helm. Call me crazy but I loved Fable games for the Brit charm Molyneux tossed into his games. One of the few franchises I enjoyed on Xbox.
I honestly felt trolled... Fable was one of my favorite games for Xbox/Xbox 360 and now there are more Fable spin-offs than there are proper Fable games.

At any rate, still nothing that would push me over to buy an X1 because all the games I like are multiplatform.
This is the big problem that Microsoft is going to have to overcome. A large part of the reason why they did so well with the 360 is because of its solid multi-platform support. Multi-platform titles on the 360 were almost guaranteed to be some of the best versions. It made the 360 a very safe choice for anyone who was on the fence between the 360 and PS3's exclusive offerings.

That's why we're seeing them bringing back titles like Phantom Dust and Crackdown. Those are titles that they can maintain exclusivity over.

Fable as a series kind of peaked a while ago.  It seems like they've been slowly killing it, so I wasn't really surprised about this new incarnation.  It's one of the few big misses in the Presser IMO.

I'll admit the new Fable definitely looks different and they probably did change it too much, but I'm a sucker for Co-op so I will definitely play it at some point.

Another thing missing was mention/update on Quantum Break, which makes me wonder if the game is in trouble.  Remedy already has a record of troubled development so I'd surmise it's still not ready for them to show.  TBH it never really interested me so it wasn't missed.

Fable comes from a well-respected UK developer. It's style and humor appeals much more to a British and European market. It's a good franchise for establishing headway for the XBox One overseas. It's also another IP that Microsoft can exert exclusivity over. I can understand that a lot of U.S. fans might not be particularly interested. But the Fable franchise still holds plenty of value for Microsoft.

Another thing missing was mention/update on Quantum Break, which makes me wonder if the game is in trouble. Remedy already has a record of troubled development so I'd surmise it's still not ready for them to show. TBH it never really interested me so it wasn't missed.
It has been known for a week or two that it was going to be a no show... try again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rOFcXLuFk

Another thing missing was mention/update on Quantum Break, which makes me wonder if the game is in trouble. Remedy already has a record of troubled development so I'd surmise it's still not ready for them to show. TBH it never really interested me so it wasn't missed.
The creators announced they would not be at E3, & are looking at a release date of 2015. I believe it was also mentioned they did not want to rush to make a working demo in time.

Edit: ah, beat me to it. :p

A good show with some great moments.  They had some new titles, continuing series, and some resurrections. 

Highlights for me: Sunset Overdrive and that Dead Rising DLC with the longest name ever (I need to see that trailer again).

More thoughts later but EA is about to start.

Does anyone know where i can watch the sony press conference? I dont have cable for spike tv, and my pc cant run twitch videos. PS3 doesnt seem to have an app to watch it there. I watched the MS conference on my 360. Sooo any help would be great!

They just had to show that little shot of the Ishimura to remind me that Visceral is making this Battlefield schlock instead of a new Dead Space. :(

The whole concept of that game... I mean I know it's just action-movie silliness, but I can't help thinking, how much money could you possibly rob from a bank that would be worth killing like 900 cops and civilians and instantly becoming more wanted than Osama bin Laden. Yes, these are the things I ponder. :lol:

Thanks this one seems to be working, ill have to try this one later.
The YouTube stream is fixed at this new URL: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Bpc1XFkAQ :) Fingers crossed it doesn't get messed up in the middle of the Sony conference. ^^;

EA conference was pretty bland...& how awkward was that Sims part where the announcer laughed as the Sim died..
I liked the idea of the Star Wars game, & very excited for Mirrors Edge 2. Other than that, nothing really wowed me.

Ign is YouTube streaming it, I was watching on my wii u. But....the stream just had MAJOR looping lag that is still going on. So...it's not very reliable, but better than nothing. Hopefully it'll be fixed before Sony's conference.

IGN stream: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJyhKIgyd4

EDIT: AH mirror edge 2! :D
Thanks this one seems to be working, ill have to try this one later.

Spikes is working fine for me

http://www.spike.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

Added it to the OP

This presentation is pretty bad compared to MS, but I still want to play Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Mirrors Edge/Star Wars Etc.

Show my Battlefield Hardline already!
Says i need a flash update, lol. If anything on my pc needs an update im screwed, updates never seem to work, or they say my windows isnt genuine and cant download updates. Thanks anyway!

Dev diaries and concept art....

250px-JP-IanMalcolm.jpg

Was EA planning to show any games... at their games conference?

Nothing on a new NFS?  Pretty much a wash for me and the Battlefront preface was just a 'yeah, we're working on it' teaser.

I don't know if anyone's watching IGN's stream, but the dude next to Greg looks like Marv after he gets hit in the face with bricks in Home Alone 2.

For those that want to see that awesome Dead Rising DLC trailer again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rff3hwi9b-Y

As for EA's conference -   That was an ok show with some good moments.

UFC looked good but controls are a deal beaker for me. The ground controls look nice.

I'm not into racing games, but Burnout with multiple vehicles could change that. I'm curious to see where they are going with that.

Star Wars ..... yeah. I liked Force Unleashed so keeping an eye on this one.

Battlefront ...... WOW. This puts that Tom Clancy game from earlier to shame. Also, "You Have The Loot".

So yeah, 4 titles. Unfortunately, 2 of them were pure teasers so I was hoping for more (I can't stand sports games). I would never buy The Sims but the demonstration with Obama popping up everywhere was amusing.

Microsoft is winning. Your move, Ubisoft. 

bread's done
Back