E3 2014 General Discussion Thread: Bring On The Games!

Ori looks beautiful. AND OMG CONKER!! Project Spark is a Xbone release only huh....:( Damn you Microsoft...

What was the name of that awesome black & white game with the kid in red?? Is that Xbone only too? Why no 360 releases of games I want Microsoft...Dx

Last edited by a moderator:
Ori looks beautiful. AND OMG CONKER!! Project Spark is a Xbone release only huh....:( Damn you Microsoft...

What was the name of that awesome black & white game with the kid in red?? Is that Xbone only too? Why no 360 releases of games I want Microsoft...Dx
There were two games that were black and white in that whole montage, Aztez and White Night(something like that). Aztez is getting a PC release but I'm pretty sure the other one is Xbone only.

Yeah, this conference has been great, I kinda want an xboner now.
This conference is fricking amazing, GAMES GAMES GAMES haha

You guys pick one up some point and I'll definitely play Phantom Dust and basically all of these other games with you guys as well!

I kind of missed some of the beginning...what games are exclusive to XBO?  Phantom Dust, Halo, Scalebound, Crackdown, Gears, Forza, Sunset Overdrive and what else?

Aw Phantom Dust is a re-make/re-master.  Still excited, but I knew it was a little too good to be true.

I'm no XBOX fan or user but loved that we're getting a new Tomb Raider game!!! I loved the remake from last year!!

I'm also really impressed, it was all games this year. Not a single mention of TV or movie applications.
Very much this. M$ has been steadily 'getting it' when it comes to the conferences. I give them an A- and only because I felt like they lacked any real surprises. Otherwise the show flowed well and messaging was clear.

The highlight for me was Ken Lobb (jesus we're getting old Ken xD) coming on stage and I'm ashamed to say I don't know what Phantom Dust is lol. The one standout game for me though was Ori (sp?) for that feels-trip.

Much tighter presentation from Microsoft this year. They had a much clearer focus, and stayed on-message the entire time. It was all games, all the time, and the overall presentation's content and structure reflected this strongly. Kudos, big M, this was a considerable improvement over last year's disjointed mess.

One thing I noticed was that this year, everything old is new again for Microsoft and the XBox One. Microsoft seems to be mining their back-catalog of IP in order to bolster their new platform with franchises that they can maintain control over. While this might be tiresome to some fans, I can't blame Microsoft for adopting this strategy. Nor can I fault them for their execution, they are definitely selecting the proper franchises to resurrect.

When an entertainment company finds itself in a less than enviable situation, leaning on established franchises and brands is the safe move. Some level of good will and brand recognition already exist, and that gives them a foundation to build on. Halo collection is the most obvious example. But we also saw reveals for a new Phantom Dust and a new Crackdown. These were both franchises that got a solid critical response, and had substantial potential, but never quite caught on. They are prime targets for revisiting.

Conference was a little meh for me. Very excited for the Tomb Raider sequel, and for Dragon Age Inquisition though that's not new, but other than that, I'm not super into Halo or Crackdown, don't like The Witcher, and I've never even heard of Phantom Dust before this. Something about the next Gears game, even just a CGI trailer, would have singlehandedly made it amazing for me but I guess they're not far enough along for that, which is understandable.

I think they had no choice, but to go back to the well and re-inforce that they have these really big titles that gamers expected originally with XBO.  Yeah, they really did step backwards with XBO launch and tried to go too far off message from what the Xbox platform is really known for.  Sure they have these great non-game features, but it was total hubris to assume that gamers would just blindly follow them to the next gen without really showing anything that made gamers love them in the first place.  This really is a reboot for XBO and I'm a lot more positive about them now than I was before.  Hearts and minds MS, good job.

Conference was a little meh for me. Very excited for the Tomb Raider sequel, and for Dragon Age Inquisition though that's not new, but other than that, I'm not super into Halo or Crackdown, don't like The Witcher, and I've never even heard of Phantom Dust before this. Something about the next Gears game, even just a CGI trailer, would have singlehandedly made it amazing for me but I guess they're not far enough along for that, which is understandable.
Yeah, Tomb Raider should be sick and Dragon Age is shaping up nicely (if they stick to the original combat formula; WTB gameplay footage lol). I think Crackdown is overhyped because the game was very repetitive and the second game was garbage. And now that you mention it, I didn't notice the absence of Gears lol. Just another franchise I've kind of lost touch with I suppose.

At any rate, still nothing that would push me over to buy an X1 because all the games I like are multiplatform.

I'm excited to see what Sony and Nintendo have in store. I haven't been playing close attention to the gaming industry lately, so most of these game reveals are new to me.

That being said, in the time we live in, so many games look the same to me. Style goes a long way now and that's where indie games tend to shine. I loved the look of Cuphead and Ori, so hopefully indie games will continue to find a home on Xbox One. PS4 has hand the upper hand in that department so far.

EA needs to announce Mass Effect 4 at their conference otherwise my hype train is fully derailed. :lol:
The only thing EA could wow me with is Battlefront. I haven't played one of those since college so a fresh start will be great.

But of course the majority of their show is about butt jiggle physics in sports games. :lol:

I'm mainly looking forward to Mirror's Edge 2, but I'm happy to be surprised by other stuff if they have it.

bread's done
Back