Ant Bully
Rampage
Ice Age 2
Happy Feet
Open Season
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Free game must equal 49.99 less in value. Expires 7th August 2007

In classic fashion they elimate any way possible in which this deal may be profitable, but its not that bad I guess if you have som older junk that doesnt trade in for as much anymore

Trade 2 PS3 games get one free

Exclusions are
2007 and older sports titles and Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire

Offer good on games 59.99 or less. Expires 7th August 2007.

Again not great but if you hav some old crap then why not?

[quote name='monkeydeew']i hope your gs dm's dont decide to come down on you guys HARD for being so blatant. and never doing this sort of deal again[/QUOTE]

Well, using their advertized trade-in deal with games that qualify is not "blatant" no matter how many times you do it (especially if you spread it around - I never did more than 2 trades at any one store). If any particular store is not swamped with these titles (as Shrike ran up against) then they shouldn't have a problem with it - and if they do they can just be up front about it as they were with Shrike. Now returning all your games and/or cancelling all your preorders may cause problems, but I don't plan to do that.

my point is, you dont see 50cent goin around telling everyone the specifics of how he made his money...
not to mention there is a specific forum for bragging, oops just mentioned lol

[quote name='monkeydeew']my point is, you dont see 50cent goin around telling everyone the specifics of how he made his money...[/QUOTE]

Eh? Anyways, they must like what they are getting from this promo as they did that 3 week extension including printing up all new fliers and whatnot. So it must be going well for EB/GS overall.

I got a PM today from what must be an EB/GS employee saying that the reason they aren't supposed to do preorders is that they can get fired for that. Could be - but didn't someone in this thread (I tried searching but couldn't find it) say they called corporate and got the OK to get preorders as part of the deal?

And, well, don't they get fired if they don't get enough preorders as it is? So they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, I guess. :lol:

[quote name='io']
I got a PM today from what must be an EB/GS employee saying that the reason they aren't supposed to do preorders is that they can get fired for that. Could be - but didn't someone in this thread (I tried searching but couldn't find it) say they called corporate and got the OK to get preorders as part of the deal?
[/quote]That isn't really a reason. If that's their understanding, it's becomes a question of why corporate doesn't allow them to do preorders, when it's not in the fine print of the deal.

[quote name='io']Well, using their advertized trade-in deal with games that qualify is not "blatant" no matter how many times you do it (especially if you spread it around - I never did more than 2 trades at any one store). If any particular store is not swamped with these titles (as Shrike ran up against) then they shouldn't have a problem with it - and if they do they can just be up front about it as they were with Shrike. Now returning all your games and/or cancelling all your preorders may cause problems, but I don't plan to do that.[/quote]It wasn't just one store that I ran into this issue at, it was three of them, all in the same area. I'm thinking that the RM for the stores decided to put the "limitation" in on MtR & TMNT to prevent this kind of stuff, and their clause of "all trade must be approved by manager" was their fallback.

I just decided it wasn't the hassle, and probably could've pulled some/all of it off if I had gone much earlier in the week, such as Sunday or Monday.

haven't been keeping up with this thread and it doesn't seem the OP has been updated.

Can I assume that Avatar, MTR and TMNT are now "excluded" or is this still YMMV?

[quote name='daminion']haven't been keeping up with this thread and it doesn't seem the OP has been updated.

Can I assume that Avatar, MTR and TMNT are now "excluded" or is this still YMMV?[/QUOTE]

Avatar has been added to the exclusions via an email - so YMMV on that one at any given store.

MtR and TMNT are not excluded from corporate - Shrike just ran into a district where the manager there decided to exclude them. I had no problem with them yesterday (Sunday).

But, as always, EB/GS deals are YMMV ;). Some people have gotten stuff like Ice Age 2 (that was excluded from the beginning) accepted and others have gotten $59.99 games paid off (something I tried yesterday with no luck). Some people get preorders with no problem, others are refused. Some people can return the games they get, others can't. Fun stuff :lol:.

Basically, though, there's no mystery to the "official" exclusions - anything that retails new for $29.99 or less will be excluded. Avatar dropped to $29.99 just a few weeks ago, and then got excluded. It had nothing to do with the CC sale. So, if in doubt on a title (besides those on the list, obviously) check the web site to see what they sell it for.

[quote name='io']Avatar has been added to the exclusions via an email - so YMMV on that one at any given store.

MtR and TMNT are not excluded from corporate - Shrike just ran into a district where the manager there decided to exclude them. I had no problem with them yesterday (Sunday).

But, as always, EB/GS deals are YMMV ;). Some people have gotten stuff like Ice Age 2 (that was excluded from the beginning) accepted and others have gotten $59.99 games paid off (something I tried yesterday with no luck). Some people get preorders with no problem, others are refused. Some people can return the games they get, others can't. Fun stuff :lol:.

Basically, though, there's no mystery to the "official" exclusions - anything that retails new for $29.99 or less will be excluded. Avatar dropped to $29.99 just a few weeks ago, and then got excluded. It had nothing to do with the CC sale. So, if in doubt on a title (besides those on the list, obviously) check the web site to see what they sell it for.[/quote]Exactly correct.

Anything $29.99 or less isn't allowed, otherwise they're not making money on the trade-ins when jacking up the values to $24.995 . Why RE4 & Chicken Shoot are exempt, because they're $29.99 MSRP.

The whole MtR & TMNT scenario was only for my area, and other CAGs shouldn't have an issue. For all I know, any CAGs besides me shouldn't have an issue, since I think it was one store's manager being a douche and denying the trade-ins under the "manager's approval" out. From there, he could've easily called the other stores in the immediate area, and they made up some BS from there.

In the end, all it cost me was time + gas money, and I know I've wasted more on less of a mess. Live and learn.

[quote name='nikelecious91']I dunno if Cars and Barnyard still work but they're only $10 each at microcenter..[/quote]

They don't. Just tried and just got denied. They are explicitly listed in the latest e-mail, apparently.

:whistle2:(

[quote name='walletandgromice']They don't. Just tried and just got denied. They are explicitly listed in the latest e-mail, apparently.

:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I thought this was odd at first, as Cars was one of the first games I traded in this deal (my own copy) and it actually got more in credit than TMNT and MtR do.

But looking on the web page right now, it appears that both Cars and Barnyard have just had drops to $29.99 new ($24.99 used) so they are just like Avatar.

Ok, this was an easy thing to do. Here are the other games that have just dropped to $29.99 new. Expect any or all of these to be excluded if your clerk is thorough and checks the emails. To be thorough, I'm including all the recent drops, including the ones we've talked about before:

Barnyard
Bionicle Heroes
Cars
Escape from Bug Island (doesn't release till 7/24, but already dropped to $29.99 ;))
Legend of the Dragon
Rapala Trophies
SpongeBob SquarePants Creature from the Krusty Krab

So, I'd be willing to guess that also included in that new exclusions email are Bionicle Heroes, Legend of the Dragon, Rapala, and SpongeBob.

(and of course, for anyone just popping in, these will be excluded in addition to the ones already on the official list like Far Cry, Happy Feet, Open Season, etc).

God, these "deals" are just not worth the aggravation, time wasted, and headache for the average CAGGER looking to exploit them. If you are looking to really land a killer deal and score hot new games/pre orders for significantly less than retail (>>20% off), you might as well just check the sales when the new games come out as Frys, Circuit City or even BB will usually have them at least 10%-20% below retail.

To really make "deals" like this worthwhile, you need to get as much possible while spending as little as possible. Not to mention the waste of time, which for some may not matter all that much but is very precious to me. Even saving $10 off a new game, say by trading in 2 $20 games (never mind tax :bomb:, another bite into the deal) isn't worth it IMHO.

The only way this deal would be worthwhile for me would be to get a $50 game for $25 (or less) out of my pocket, and wasting less than an hour of my time. Good luck to me finding 2 games for $25 total that aren't excluded.

First, you have to track down the cheapest games possible that aren't on the exclusion list, and hope that they are miraculously approved by the damned manager now apparently. The vast majority of sealed new games won't work, since most are well above the $25 price (never mind tax :bomb: ) you absolutely don't want to cross per game (otherwise you're paying more than retail!). And the rest are virtually all on the exclusion list.

So unless there is some amazing deal, you have to get used games. Hopefully you will find at least a couple at some other gaming stores for say, $10-15 each (or less...not likely) that aren't excluded. But really, with these "deals" EB Games and Gamestop are just looking to get over on casual gamers/soccer moms/clueless little kids (while giving the cheapies like us and the resellers/dealers the finger) by giving up the quality titles they've gotten tired of. Instead of an exclusion list they should just make a list of games that are acceptable for this offer, since it is so much shorter!

Can someone answe this question? If I get Cars and Barnyard from Microcenter would I be able to get a free Wii game? Also, would the plastic have to be taken off the box?

[quote name='masked lemon']If I got an edge card card from eb games in pa, could I use it in a different store in syracuse?[/quote]
Yea!

just rid my bike to Gamecrazy, good thing my friend was at the counter(even though i am 14). i wouldve looked like a nerd if i was a random 14 year old buying tmnt. i m gonna stop there agian tomarrow, then beg my mom to be able to trade in again.(she got mad after the 50% more trade in thing at gc, they kept changing the deal on me)which game to get... i was thinking MP8 -> Super Mario Strikers but then ill have to have my mom come in and she gets mad when she has to

[quote name='io']

So, I'd be willing to guess that also included in that new exclusions email are Bionicle Heroes, Legend of the Dragon, Rapala, and SpongeBob.

(and of course, for anyone just popping in, these will be excluded in addition to the ones already on the official list like Far Cry, Happy Feet, Open Season, etc).[/quote]

Correct... these titles are listed in the email they received last week. I mentioned some of these titles a few pages back... I was shot down at a 'mall GS' Saturday. I had to go to another store Sunday that was more than happy to take Rapala and Avatar... they just went by the initial list of exclusions.

The Melbourne Square mall GS is crazy... when ever you bring in trades for any promotions these same 3 guys will pretty much walk over each other trying to get the counter first to tell you the games you brought in do not apply. They just start shouting over each other screaming out the games they think do not apply. It's pretty amazing.

[quote name='djkunai']Attack of the noobs!

No, Cars and Barnyard are not eligible.

Yes, Edge cards are universal.[/quote]
How are they ineligible? Can I have proof.

Thanks IO and others. Saves me a lot of digging through this thread.

It seems that unless something else goes on clearance that this deal is all but dead

i tried my hand at this deal yesterday. i took in Super Monkey Ball and Tony Hawk Downhill Jam and had the damnedest thing happen to me. even though the manager said neither one was excluded, he was called up from the back by the 3 girls working the counter because my copy of THDJ was, get this, unopened. they refused it because it was unopened!

i have never heard of such before. they gave me some spiel about how normal people immediately open a game when they buy it so an unopened game signals a potential stolen item and therefore they're not allowed to accept it. it happened to be the last copy i had left from the Costco deal (besides the one i kept for myself).

so i say to them that if i bring my receipt from when i bought it, that should allay their fears of it being stolen, correct? they say sure. so i did. i wanted Mario Party 8 out of the deal, but they were all out, so i had to settle for a new/sealed copy of Twilight Princess.

by the way, at the store i went to they only checked the flyer for the exclusions. they said if it wasn't listed there it wasn't excluded. funny thing about that flyer was that it stated the deal expired on 7/8/07...

[quote name='rakaminkol']How are they ineligible? Can I have proof.[/QUOTE]
Hey, man, go for it and let us know how it goes.

[quote name='ikill2game']
i tried my hand at this deal yesterday. i took in Super Monkey Ball and Tony Hawk Downhill Jam and had the damnedest thing happen to me. even though the manager said neither one was excluded, he was called up from the back by the 3 girls working the counter because my copy of THDJ was, get this, unopened. they refused it because it was unopened!
[/quote]
You said you also had a personal copy of THDJ? Next time just bring that in and keep the sealed one as your copy ;). If, for some reason, the deal doesn't go through you still have your sealed copy. That's what I do in the rare cases where I have an extra and one I'm keeping.

I always open any games I'm trading in. If I'm not sure about a deal I'll go in and ask first and then say I need to get my games from the car (where I'll then open them). I understand some people like to keep them sealed for convenience, but I always figured it draws less attention to you if they aren't opened. Plus, I like to trade out old cases for the minty fresh new ones. I happened to get an armload of white DVD cases from my Gamerush store when they closed. I've been swapping out the cases for all the Wii games I've traded in during this deal and now have a nice supply of new Wii game cases for things like Wii Sports or when I buy used Wii games in the future ;).

[quote name='djkunai']Attack of the noobs![/quote]No joke. I don't mind new folks, I welcome them. But when their question is answered in the OP and/or the last five posts before they post and they can't bother to read them, it's just absurd. And after however many years I've been here, I finally put someone on my ignore list as the threads I'm checking have about eight posts within ten minutes all from the same guy asking questions to which the answers are already there if he bothered to read.

gah. Sorry, had to vent. It's just an influx the past couple days. E3 fall-out, I suppose.

[quote name='rakaminkol']How are they ineligible? Can I have proof.[/quote]For the luva... Dude, there was a corporate email that went out with new exclusions. We've explained what titles are officially excluded. If your GS staff reads their emails then you won't be able to trade them in for the deal. That's the proof.

If that isn't good enough, call GS Customer Service and ask what games are officially excluded from the Wii trade 2/ get 1 deal.

[quote name='io']Hey, man, go for it and let us know how it goes.[/quote]*humbled* That's a much nicer way of saying what I just did. Forgive my snapping. I'm sick at the moment. Not quite myself.

[quote name='guinaevere']

*humbled* That's a much nicer way of saying what I just did. Forgive my snapping. I'm sick at the moment. Not quite myself.[/quote]

screw that those newbies are acting like cops

[quote name='rakaminkol']How are they ineligible? Can I have proof.[/quote]

How about my post yesterday (on the previous page) that states Cars and Barnyard are ineligible. That I was there, in store at EB Games, and they looked at the email and read me the list and those two titles were on there?

[quote name='io']You said you also had a personal copy of THDJ? Next time just bring that in and keep the sealed one as your copy ;).[/QUOTE]

yeah, but my personal copy is also still sealed :D

and they even went on to say (before i said i'd just bring my receipt in) that since i had tried bringing it in unopened, i wouldn't be allowed to trade it at all if i tried bringing it in opened in the future. i was like WTF!!!

i never open a game until i want to play it. this way i haven't screwed myself over if some unforeseen opportunity arises that requires the game being in store-bought condition. it also affords me the ability to return it with my original receipt if i so choose.

[quote name='ikill2game']yeah, but my personal copy is also still sealed :D
i never open a game until i want to play it. this way i haven't screwed myself over if some unforeseen opportunity arises that requires the game being in store-bought condition. it also affords me the ability to return it with my original receipt if i so choose.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well, I generally do the same, but don't mind cracking one open for a trade-in if I was planning on keeping it anyway. At least if it gets rejected for some reason it's not the end of the world if my own copy is unsealed ;). So, anyway, it worked out for you in the end so that's all that matters.

[quote name='io']Oh, well, I generally do the same, but don't mind cracking one open for a trade-in if I was planning on keeping it anyway. At least if it gets rejected for some reason it's not the end of the world if my own copy is unsealed ;). So, anyway, it worked out for you in the end so that's all that matters.[/quote]

FWIW, I've never had a problem bringing unopened games in for trade in either of two EB Games locations. I know it's their store policy not to accept them unopened, but at a minimum I like to check if a game is accepted before opening the package.

so now that most of the super flippers and done super flipping, did anyone trade in their games without the cases? a few employees said the games had to be complete to qualify for the deal, and another told me that they would charge me a 20% refurbish fee and i'd have to pay the diffrence. wth, anyone?

[quote name='PROLIFE333']Tony Hawk
Red Steel
Rayman
Elebits

Are any of these excluded?[/quote]

do they retail for under 29.99 used?
*if yes, then ymmv
*if no, then ymmv

if you need any further help, please super monkey balls

[quote name='PROLIFE333']Tony Hawk
Red Steel
Rayman
Elebits

Are any of these excluded?[/quote]
Well I traded in Tony Hawk just fine during this deal, and I would guess that the others should work too.

I was able to successfully trade in MtR and Avatar towards a preorder this morning, so I feel all special and stuff.

It was even stranger in that the were open at least fifteen minutes prior to the listed time on the door. The girl at the counter was new, checked the flyer for exceptions (whee!), and consulted with another employee, who only gave instructions on how to process the deal once he saw the two games. Very pleasant, and not a single other customer in the store to bug me.

I had to check the sign and make sure I hadn't wandered into another store by mistake. ;)

[quote name='monkeydeew']so now that most of the super flippers and done super flipping, did anyone trade in their games without the cases? a few employees said the games had to be complete to qualify for the deal, and another told me that they would charge me a 20% refurbish fee and i'd have to pay the diffrence. wth, anyone?[/quote]

They're bullshitting you. They've never required anything to be complete, only playable. If your game is scratched to hell, then there's a problem, otherwise it should be fine.

[quote name='SpazX']They're bullshitting you. They've never required anything to be complete, only playable. If your game is scratched to hell, then there's a problem, otherwise it should be fine.[/quote]

guess i know who im cancelling preorders on

[quote name='rakaminkol']I used Cars and Barnyard from Microcenter and got Pokemon Battle Revolution! I told ya so.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on experiencing the complete YMMV of an EB/GS deal :lol:. Try it at a different time of day and it won't work.

[quote name='io']Congrats on experiencing the complete YMMV of an EB/GS deal :lol:. Try it at a different time of day and it won't work.[/quote]
I called all of the stores in my area and none of them said no. This guy had no idea the deal existed. I'm going to try again tommorow

[quote name='rakaminkol']I called all of the stores in my area and none of them said no. This guy had no idea the deal existed. I'm going to try again tommorow[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is probably likely that most EB/GS employees just read the fine print on the fliers and in that case would accept those games. It is only the more sophistocated ones who read the email updates who would refuse them. I can't say for sure as I only traded games that worked no matter what, but I think the guys I dealt with just took a glance at the fliers too when checking restrictions. So, there is a good chance they will take these, but don't be surprised if you run into a store or two where they all of a sudden refuse them as they discover the emails.

In any case, I'm done with the deal and have never heard of Microcenter anyway (except on CAG) and wouldn't have a clue where one was located. I wouldn't mind a copy of Cars to replace the one I traded in at the beginning of this deal though, but I'll probably just wait on the 360 version. My son already played through the Wii version and wants achievements for it now ;). I'd probably pick up Barnyard, too, though for $10.

i wish i wasnt done with this deal, cross your fingers guys. and for the 5 nubie posts coming later today 'no you cant preorder off the bat' and 'avatar is ymmv'

[quote name='io']Yeah, it is probably likely that most EB/GS employees just read the fine print on the fliers and in that case would accept those games. It is only the more sophistocated ones who read the email updates who would refuse them. I can't say for sure as I only traded games that worked no matter what, but I think the guys I dealt with just took a glance at the fliers too when checking restrictions. So, there is a good chance they will take these, but don't be surprised if you run into a store or two where they all of a sudden refuse them as they discover the emails.

In any case, I'm done with the deal and have never heard of Microcenter anyway (except on CAG) and wouldn't have a clue where one was located. I wouldn't mind a copy of Cars to replace the one I traded in at the beginning of this deal though, but I'll probably just wait on the 360 version. My son already played through the Wii version and wants achievements for it now ;). I'd probably pick up Barnyard, too, though for $10.[/quote]
If I didn't have any of the good games for the wii, I would keep them? There's only 20 Microcenters in the US and luckily I live near the newest one in Paterson, New Jersey. You want a link to see if there is a store near you?

[quote name='rakaminkol']If I didn't have any of the good games for the wii, I would keep them? There's only 20 Microcenters in the US and luckily I live near the newest one in Paterson, New Jersey. You want a link to see if there is a store near you?[/quote]

hey thats the one i am near as well...did they still have alot left...if so i wouldnt mind taking a ride to pick some up tomorrow

[quote name='monkeydeew']i wish i wasnt done with this deal, cross your fingers guys. and for the 5 nubie posts coming later today 'no you cant preorder off the bat' and 'avatar is ymmv'[/QUOTE]

Except that I've found that, generally, you can preorder :lol:. Of the 10 I've done, only one guy didn't allow a "preorder off the bat". It is YMMV like the exclusion list...

Have fun guys.

I'm excited that the first preorder I got from this deal is coming out soon (Mario Strikers). I'm looking forward to that!

[quote name='io']Except that I've found that, generally, you can preorder :lol:. Of the 10 I've done, only one guy didn't allow a "preorder off the bat". It is YMMV like the exclusion list...

Have fun guys.

I'm excited that the first preorder I got from this deal is coming out soon (Mario Strikers). I'm looking forward to that![/quote]
I've found the same, out of the 4 places I went that didn't deny avatar I only couldn't preorder at 1. The first guy that let me preorder even went on to explain how the whole thing was stupid and how they have to get preorders, but they're not supposed to for the deals, etc. and the last place I went to (where I traded twice) asked me both times if I wanted the free game to be a preorder before I even said anything (two different employees). They know it's a good opportunity to get their preorder numbers up, only the stupid employees deny them.

[quote name='Jedi1979']hey thats the one i am near as well...did they still have alot left...if so i wouldnt mind taking a ride to pick some up tomorrow[/quote]
let's say 2 more of each. but that gaming section had no one

[quote name='rakaminkol']let's say 2 more of each. but that gaming section had no one[/quote]

ok thanks....maybe i'll take a ride...

bread's done
Back