Employees of all stores--post your stupid customer stories--part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lady came in yesterday to buy a fake tree, remarking on what a good deal it was at half off.

"Well, let me just scan it, make sure it's on sale..."
"Oh, but your ad says so."
"I've learned not to trust the ad, ma'am. :D "

And sure enough, full price. So, she pulls out ger ad, and after a second, it hits me-

"This isn't our current ad, this won't be on sale until January 1st."
"But it says It's on sale now!"

Which it does- there's a big banner printed in the middle of the ad that says 'great deals on sale NOW!', as ads tends to do.

I spend the next 3 minutes trying to explain to this lady that no, whoever distributed her ad messed up and sent her one half a week early, and this sale was not currently active. She insisted that since the ad said 'now', and she had the ad, it meant the sale was going on now! The best part- she admitted she'd seen the 'good January 1st-7th' on the coupons and such at the bottom.

Eventually she figured out I wasn't giving her half off her fake tree and huffed out. :roll:

2nd story- couple comes in to return a Christmas custom floral arrangement. Problem- We can't do that, it's against policy. I tell then so, and point it out on our Return Policy sign. They insist they were not told about this when they bought it, so why can't they return it. (BTW, these people are obivously from Russia or somewhere similar, that's important.) I call the manager, and the argument goes:

"We want to return this!"
"I'm sorry sir, we can't return custom floral."
"But, we we buy, no one tells us this!"
"Well, it is posted on these signs at every register *points*"
"But what if you don't read those?"
"Well, I'm sorry sir."
"Look- I don't read English! No one tells me I can't return!"
"They're not required to, it is posted."
"Oh, so YOU always read sign when YOU shop?"
"Yes I do, I like to know my return options."
"I don't read English! Just let me return this shit!"
"...Excuse me? You can leave my store, now that you've sworn at me."

At this point they huff out mumbling 'fucking morons...'

... and the manager points out something I missed- the clearance tag attched to their arrangement was pre-printed. We NEVER do that. They didn't even buy it at our store. (Each Michael's has a different person doing the arrangements, so it's impossible to accept a reutrn of one from another store, even if the manager would have normally made an exception.) :roll: x2.

[quote name='sonderiaom']This happened last night, right before closing. A lady was asking me some questions about an electric piano and asked if it could be taken off the stand. I look and sure enough.

Me: Yeah, it has padding, so you could even put it on the floor and do the beethoven thing.
Her: I don't understand how that'd work, what do you mean?
Me: He put his piano down on the ground and felt the vibrations.
Her: Why would he do something like that?
Me: He was deaf, he couldn't hear anything that he created he could only feel it.
Her: I don't believe it.
Me: I swear, as a boyscout (I used to be; shut up)
Her: Ok, well I didn't believe you before, but I do now.

I hate stupid people.[/QUOTE]
I think this is my favorite story ever. Simply amazing.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I think this is my favorite story ever. Simply amazing.[/QUOTE]

I actually left out a bit that made her seem even more stupid. She asked how Beethoven could feel the chord progressions, so she obviously knew a bit about music, but didn't know that he was deaf. I didn't put it in because it wouldn't have made me sound good. I.E.

Her: But how did he hear the chords change?
Me: I dunno, he's a fucking genius?

Course I didn't say fuck in front of her, but you get the idea.

*Sigh* I can't be the only one encountering stupid customers here people.

Old Man: I was wondering something.
Me: Ok Shoot
Old Man: I was wondering how many of my lectures I could put onto a dvd?
Me: Well that would depend on the size of the files for the lecture.
Old Man: I can usually fill up one cd with 9 lectures
Me: Alright, well, you can fit approximately 7 cds on one dvd, so there you go, you can fit 63 lectures one dvd.
Old Man: Alright, and then I can just play that dvd on the radio that the students have right?
Me: You mean cd player?
Old Man: Yeah, that's it.
Me: No, they wouldn't be able to, a dvd and cd are different technologies.
Old Man: But they're both discs right, and I'm only putting the cd's on the dvd, I'm not going to watch a movie on it.
Me: No, that still doesn't work, even as only audio storage, a dvd will not play in a cd.

Sadly enough this went on for a good 15 minutes at least. He was convinced that because he was putting the 7 cds on the dvd, the dvd should be able to play in a cd player. When I finally got frustrated with him and went and helped another customer, I saw him talking to two of my other coworkers, trying to see if they'll tell him what he wanted to hear instead of the truth. They even drew out a diagram

Then my favorite. I was talking with a guy about a computer and he surprised me:

Guy: This has Words right?
Me: What? Oh, you mean Microsoft Word, well, it has a 60 day trial of office and then it comes with MSworks which is a watered down version of office.
Guy: *Looks puzzled for a second* But it has Words right?
Me: Well it has a 60 day trial of office which has word in it, and then you get to keep MSworks which has a word processer in it.
Guy: *still looking at me oddly* So it does have Words?
Me: Yes, it has Word.

No lie, he used the plural version of words every single time he was talking about it. I could only imagine a computer without words, it'd be a picturebook nightmare.

"Me: Yeah, it has padding, so you could even put it on the floor and do the beethoven thing.
Her: I don't understand how that'd work, what do you mean?
Me: He put his piano down on the ground and felt the vibrations.
Her: Why would he do something like that?
Me: He was deaf, he couldn't hear anything that he created he could only feel it.
Her: I don't believe it.
Me: I swear, as a boyscout (I used to be; shut up)
Her: Ok, well I didn't believe you before, but I do now."

Oh my god... that is friggen hilarious.

Okay since you are begging for some stories...

(Customer walks into my area, which is music and movies)
Customer: Where are all your DVDs at?
(While looking at aisles and aisles full of... DVDs)

(Customer walks in area and looks at the display for "Wedding Crashers." He then turns around and see's me walking by)
Customer: Where can I find Wedding Crashers?
(I just point at the display and try not to laugh)
Customer: Duh, I'm dumb. :rofl:

(There are several signs around my register that say CHECKOUT. This repeats a LOT during any given day and its even worse after I just finished ringing up a customer and they just saw me do that too)
Customer: Where is the checkout?

Had a guy the other day try to return an Xbox.

His wife came in first to return it and she said while she had no reciept, she bought it on the 20th. So I look through the logs on the computer, no used xboxs sold that day. So after a bit she goes to get her husband. Husband comes in and I say that we have no record of used Xboxes being sold that day.

"I bought it new."
"The bundle pack with Forza?"
"Yea."
"Ok, well. For starters, new systems are only given a 7 day warrenty with us, then it's a manufacture warrenty. Also, you didn't even bring the game. So there is no chance of returning it anyway."

At this point he starts whining about how it's just an exchange and that we should do the exchange.

"Sir, like I said, you don't even have the game that came with it. I can't return something if it isn't complete. If I did return that, you would get two copies of the game."
"But, but..."
"I'm sorry, I can't do a return. You will have to talk to Microsoft about a replacement. If you bought a used one, I could return it because we have a 90 day warrenty through us for used systems."

He starts to sulk away pissed off and right as he leaves he pops his head in:

"Why is it 7 days for new and 90 days for used?"
"Because used systems aren't from the factory therefore they dont have the factory warrenty."

Guy leaves.

I hate it when people whine about stuff I can't fix anyway.

[quote name='Kuros']Had a guy the other day try to return an Xbox.

His wife came in first to return it and she said while she had no reciept, she bought it on the 20th. So I look through the logs on the computer, no used xboxs sold that day. So after a bit she goes to get her husband. Husband comes in and I say that we have no record of used Xboxes being sold that day.

"I bought it new."
"Yea."
"Ok, well. For starters, new systems are only given a 7 day warrenty with us, then it's a manufacture warrenty. Also, you didn't even bring the game. So there is no chance of returning it anyway."

At this point he starts whining about how it's just an exchange and that we should do the exchange.

"Sir, like I said, you don't even have the game that came with it. I can't return something if it isn't complete. If I did return that, you would get two copies of the game."
"But, but..."
"I'm sorry, I can't do a return. You will have to talk to Microsoft about a replacement. If you bought a used one, I could return it because we have a 90 day warrenty through us for used systems."

"Because used systems aren't from the factory therefore they dont have the factory warrenty."

Guy leaves.

I hate it when people whine about stuff I can't fix anyway.[/QUOTE]

You could have just replaced the systems and send back the broken system with the Forza Motorsport that you had in the new box and not give him the game just the system.

[quote name='RICHASSGAMER']You could have just replaced the systems and send back the broken system with the Forza Motorsport that you had in the new box and not give him the game just the system.[/QUOTE]

Read the post you quoted. The customer did not have a receipt. He had no way to know if the customer even bought it at EB much less his store.

[quote name='RICHASSGAMER']You could have just replaced the systems and send back the broken system with the Forza Motorsport that you had in the new box and not give him the game just the system.[/QUOTE]

I just can't open a new system and give it to him.

[quote name='Kuros']Had a guy the other day try to return an Xbox.

"I bought it new."
"Yea."

"But, but..."

Guy leaves.

I hate it when people whine about stuff I can't fix anyway.[/QUOTE]

Kinda related, but I noticed when I worked in retail that a lot of returns were from women on behalf of their husbands while said husbands waited in the car. Maybe it was just where I worked, but it was really common to see the man stay in the driver's seat while the woman brought whatever it was in the store to return. Almost 100% of the time, the items being returned were way out of warranty or so jacked up that I couldn't do anything. Then the woman would go get the man (right after she'd announce "I'M GETTING MY HUSBAND!" like it was supposed to be scary), and he'd be all pissed off that his lazy ass had to get out of the car, and then he'd start shouting or something. And then they'd never get what they wanted an swear they wouldn't be coming back.

This customer brough back a copy of a copy of Sonic Heroes to EBgames and had his receipt and was trying to return it to my Assistant Manager because they didnt like it(which is reasonable) but the back top of the case was gone, like an inch of it...its hard to describe. The disc itself was all dirty and scratched. So he tells him he can't take it back as new because it wasn't in new condition anymore and the customer is really mad about this. My Assistant Manager then tells him he can take it in as a trade but he can't give him even full store credit for it. The customer then says " you know what, just keep the game, i dont even want youre money, im not coming back." So he leaves his copy of Sonic Heroes for PS2 with us. Hilarious. Sorry if this was hard to read its really late.

[quote name='BackInBlack']This customer brough back a copy of a copy of Sonic Heroes to EBgames and had his receipt and was trying to return it to my Assistant Manager because they didnt like it(which is reasonable) but the back top of the case was gone, like an inch of it...its hard to describe. The disc itself was all dirty and scratched. So he tells him he can't take it back as new because it wasn't in new condition anymore and the customer is really mad about this. My Assistant Manager then tells him he can take it in as a trade but he can't give him even full store credit for it. The customer then says " you know what, just keep the game, i dont even want youre money, im not coming back." So he leaves his copy of Sonic Heroes for PS2 with us. Hilarious. Sorry if this was hard to read its really late.[/QUOTE]

That same thing happened to me when I still worked at K-Mart. Lady comes in, it's like 5 days after Christmas, trys to return a whole cart full of Christmas items. The store can't take returns on ANY christmas items after christmas, if they did, lots and lots of people would just be returning everything, it would be like renting items from us.

The lady tells the service desk "Well, we never used it, we had to go out of town before christmas, we just got back, I want to return it". She gets furious when she sees the policy that she can't, and the service desk asks her why she just didn't return everything before she went on her trip.

She then starts saying things like "Well these ornaments are ugly anyways! I never would have bought this stuff if it wasn't for my mother!!" and the service desk is confused as to what she is rattling on about. Pissed off she isn't able to return it, she tells us "Well, fuck you guys, I hate this place, I'm just going to leave the cart outside, you can do with it what you like!!!!".

She left everything outside, as she told us, it was all still new and sealed, so I believe they brought it back inside and resold it to someone under clearance prices, and the lady never came back.

[quote name='Roufuss']That same thing happened to me when I still worked at K-Mart. Lady comes in, it's like 5 days after Christmas, trys to return a whole cart full of Christmas items. The store can't take returns on ANY christmas items after christmas, if they did, lots and lots of people would just be returning everything, it would be like renting items from us.

The lady tells the service desk "Well, we never used it, we had to go out of town before christmas, we just got back, I want to return it". She gets furious when she sees the policy that she can't, and the service desk asks her why she just didn't return everything before she went on her trip.

She then starts saying things like "Well these ornaments are ugly anyways! I never would have bought this stuff if it wasn't for my mother!!" and the service desk is confused as to what she is rattling on about. Pissed off she isn't able to return it, she tells us "Well, fuck you guys, I hate this place, I'm just going to leave the cart outside, you can do with it what you like!!!!".

She left everything outside, as she told us, it was all still new and sealed, so I believe they brought it back inside and resold it to someone under clearance prices, and the lady never came back.[/QUOTE]

sounds like the old Mission Bell store to me, lol.

[quote name='Roufuss']That same thing happened to me when I still worked at K-Mart. Lady comes in, it's like 5 days after Christmas, trys to return a whole cart full of Christmas items. The store can't take returns on ANY christmas items after christmas, if they did, lots and lots of people would just be returning everything, it would be like renting items from us.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing about the last part. While I was working at Costco, the return policy is so lax that I saw people returning used and open christmas merchandise the day after christmas. I have to say, I was rather disgusted.

I was in line at the Post Office today and it must have been stupid customer day because I was there less than 10 minutes and there were 3 really stupid people there. Customer #1 had 3 packages to mail, the first item was almost $4 for Parcel Post or a little over $4 for Priority. She looks at the postal clerk like he is crazy that it's so expensive. She then asks why it costs so much? He explains it goes by weight. Of course she wants to save around $0.40 and go for the cheaper method even though Priority is well worth the extra few cents. She wanted insurance on her last package so she puts her hand on the package saying she wants it insured while it was on the scale. The clerk then explains to her that by having her hand on the package, it makes the postage rate go up because her hand is adding extra weight.

Customer 2 wants 2 cent stamps because of the postage increase. She asks for 1 book of twenty stamps and then asks how much it will cost. The clerk then says, 2 times 20 is 40, so 40 cents (he said it almost sarcastically). I guess it was just that she couldn't figure out how much 20 x 2 is.

Customer 3 comes in with a UPS envelope and a UPS address form already filled out. Before he was in line too long he asks if he can send the envelope there. Of course the answer was no.

Per #2, Same thing happened to me, but the amazing thing was she wanted 5. She actually asked how much it would be

i work at a customer service desk and there was this person asking for an application for toys r us and he got mad when i denied him. he was like why? i was sir do you see the signs on the wall and on the hangers, this toys r us is closing down we arent accepting applications right now

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I had a customer want to return a gift card the other day.

'But I even have my receipt!'

And?[/QUOTE]

i dont know where you are but here in california you have to return a giftcard for cash if the guest requests it. law went into effect jan 1, 2005.

[quote name='waterboy100']i dont know where you are but here in california you have to return a giftcard for cash if the guest requests it. law went into effect jan 1, 2005.[/QUOTE]

One more reason why California is fucked up.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']One more reason why California is fucked up.[/QUOTE]

wtf are you talking about california is fucked up? getting cash back by returning a giftcard is good for consumers like us. unless you are the owner of one of these huge corporations why would you hate on that law? if you are the owner of a huge corporation then why the hell are you on CAG stealing our deals?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']One more reason why California is fucked up.[/QUOTE]

lol the heat finally got to them, either that or ARNOLD :p

[quote name='dude2003']wtf are you talking about california is fucked up? getting cash back by returning a giftcard is good for consumers like us. unless you are the owner of one of these huge corporations why would you hate on that law? if you are the owner of a huge corporation then why the hell are you on CAG stealing our deals?[/QUOTE]

Do you actually know the point of a gift card? It's not to get cash back, it's to promise future spending at said store. You sell a $20 GC to someone, you're bound to get them to either spend more than that when it's redeemed, or on a later visit.

If you can go back and get cash back for it at some point, WTF is the point? Sorta like the 'gift cards can't expire' bullshit they have in the Northeast. Gift cards expire. Don't collect them like fucking Topps.

so...these two 'ghetto' guys come in and ask how much a used original xbox is...
and when I tell them they're like, all, you know the drill, "Ah, snap, no way..I thought I saw some thing that was like 60 bucks or somtin"...I tell them that was probably the trade in value they were thinking about, the system is worth that much still. So, of course, they can't afford it (

[quote name='Kayden']Doesn't matter- you're hot. You get the privellege of saying anything you want. :D[/QUOTE]

LOL, i bet you say that to all the 40 year old guys posing as teenage girls on the internet.

[quote name='Bezerker']LOL, i bet you say that to all the 40 year old guys posing as teenage girls on the internet.[/QUOTE]

LoL!!...."teenage"...:lol:

[quote name='tauruskatt']LoL!!...."teenage"...:lol:[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to be 'that guy' but I 'demand' pics to prove one way or another. Can never tell with the internet now-a-days ya know?

Away from OT, I'm going to be part of the Returns counter at Costco come next week so I'll have loads of new stories to add probably almost daily.

[quote name='Kayden']Doesn't matter- you're hot. You get the privellege of saying anything you want. :D[/QUOTE]

That was just pathetic.;) :lol:

[quote name='sonderiaom']I'd hate to be 'that guy' but I 'demand' pics to prove one way or another. Can never tell with the internet now-a-days ya know?

Away from OT, I'm going to be part of the Returns counter at Costco come next week so I'll have loads of new stories to add probably almost daily.[/QUOTE]

SHe had posted some pics awhile ago. Plus I think some CAG's met here at last year's E3. At least I thought so for some reason.

well I work at gamestop and there was this one kid, old enough to know better, tries to buy a game with a best buy giftcard and told us he thought we took other stores giftcards.

[quote name='dude2003']wtf are you talking about california is fucked up? getting cash back by returning a giftcard is good for consumers like us. unless you are the owner of one of these huge corporations why would you hate on that law? if you are the owner of a huge corporation then why the hell are you on CAG stealing our deals?[/QUOTE]

Point 1: People do steal gift cards. Refunding them= free money for theives.

Point 2: Continuing the above, what's to stop people from grabbing a gift card from the shelf, and claiming it was activated? They could even get stolen/re-used reciepts for that.

You get the idea.

I like our state's law- after a transaction, if the card total is $5 or less, the customer can request cash. That way the card gets used, but you don't have to overspends just to make sure the card money is gone.

around the weeks leading up to Christmas, a guy brought in a 20% off one item coupon to TRU. problem is that it was photocopied. anyone who has seen one of these cards, know they are actually cards, made of some kind of plastic, and sometimes have a sheen to them. he brought in some computer paper that had on the top, the front of the card in black and white, and the back of the card under it in black and white. it was the quality of I'd say a doctor's office Xerox machine.

when I told him we couldn't accept it because it was obviously a photocopy, he went apeshit on me, telling me how stupid I was and how he used it in this store before etc etc..I just let him talk on and on, since he was pretty mad he wasn't getting 20% off a PS2 dance mat. a manager then was walking by and asked what was up, the customer said I refused to take this legit coupon. my manager kind of laughed, opened up my drawer and showed him what the coupon was supposed to look like.

he then turns to his friend tells him how lame I am, and his friends asked him "he didn't take it?".

boy I love retail.

[quote name='greendj27']SHe had posted some pics awhile ago. Plus I think some CAG's met here at last year's E3. At least I thought so for some reason.[/QUOTE]Isn't that her in the sig?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Isn't that her in the sig?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is, My-bad, it had looked too CG but it was just the editing that had given it the filtered look. Roundabout I did find her pic btw.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Point 1: People do steal gift cards. Refunding them= free money for theives.

Point 2: Continuing the above, what's to stop people from grabbing a gift card from the shelf, and claiming it was activated? They could even get stolen/re-used reciepts for that.

You get the idea.

I like our state's law- after a transaction, if the card total is $5 or less, the customer can request cash. That way the card gets used, but you don't have to overspends just to make sure the card money is gone.[/QUOTE]

Re: Point 2 - Each gift card has its own unique gift card number so taking one off the shelf and presenting a receipt for it would not work since the numbers will not match.

[quote name='unforeseen']Re: Point 2 - Each gift card has its own unique gift card number so taking one off the shelf and presenting a receipt for it would not work since the numbers will not match.[/QUOTE]

Thats not true everywhere. Point denied.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Thats not true everywhere. Point denied.[/QUOTE]

Doubly so- just becuase the card has a unqiue number does not mean the reciept will actually show said number. Ours don't.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Point 1: People do steal gift cards. Refunding them= free money for theives.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain why it is preferable to hand out $XX in merchandise to these same people and their stolen giftcards?

I just remembered a story from way back. She was a shining example of a bad parent. It was back in '99, when I was a grocery store cashier. I was on the express register on a hot summer day. We were moderately busy, and I had a nice line going.

I was waiting on an old man who was buying some fruit. When I rang in the grapefruits, he disputed the price that came up. So I said, "Alright, one second we'll get the supervisor over here to check it out," and he said "sure".

Now I notice the woman behind him, who had just over the 7-item limit, start huffing with impatience. The supervisor comes over, I explain the grapefruit situation, and she runs over to Produce for a price check.

The lady huffs again, then finally yells: "I can't wait all day for this! I have an infant waiting in the car!"

Everyone kind of looks at her like "uh...". And me being appalled and angered by her admission to such a thing, I respond with, "It'll just take a moment. Maybe you should've brought your infant in with you while you shop?"

She snidely remarks, "Well, I thought I'd just be in and out, not stuck waiting in a long line! THIS IS EXPRESS!"

So I just ignored her for the rest of the time, while she kept huffing and looking towards the front windows. The whole price adjustment only took maybe 2 minutes, and when I rang her through all she said was "It's about time!" and ran out the door.

That kid must have a sad life. Horrible mother.

[quote name='Fanboy']Can you explain why it is preferable to hand out $XX in merchandise to these same people and their stolen giftcards?[/QUOTE]

exactly. you guys are telling me that when you buy a giftcard, you are willingly giving FREE money away to these stores if you don't use the giftcard. let's say you had plan to purchase a giftcard to give to someone but decided against it and you are not interested in the merchandise sold at this store, you would have given free money to this store unless you return the giftcard for refund. if you disagree with the california law (california is fucked up) then you are out of luck with your cash. i'd rather have this law here in california where i can get my cash back. like i said, i like the law being consumer friendly. if you dont like this law then you must be an owner of one of these large corporations; but what the hell are you doing here in CAG stealing our deals if you are a rich owner?

I would have polietly explained that I couldn't service her because she was over the express limit. Afterall, it wouldn't be fair to those behind her having to wait for the extra items.

[quote name='moiety']I just remembered a story from way back. She was a shining example of a bad parent. It was back in '99, when I was a grocery store cashier. I was on the express register on a hot summer day. We were moderately busy, and I had a nice line going.

I was waiting on an old man who was buying some fruit. When I rang in the grapefruits, he disputed the price that came up. So I said, "Alright, one second we'll get the supervisor over here to check it out," and he said "sure".

Now I notice the woman behind him, who had just over the 7-item limit, start huffing with impatience. The supervisor comes over, I explain the grapefruit situation, and she runs over to Produce for a price check.

The lady huffs again, then finally yells: "I can't wait all day for this! I have an infant waiting in the car!"

Everyone kind of looks at her like "uh...". And me being appalled and angered by her admission to such a thing, I respond with, "It'll just take a moment. Maybe you should've brought your infant in with you while you shop?"

She snidely remarks, "Well, I thought I'd just be in and out, not stuck waiting in a long line! THIS IS EXPRESS!"

So I just ignored her for the rest of the time, while she kept huffing and looking towards the front windows. The whole price adjustment only took maybe 2 minutes, and when I rang her through all she said was "It's about time!" and ran out the door.

That kid must have a sad life. Horrible mother.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Thats not true everywhere. Point denied.[/QUOTE]

What are some stores that do not use different numbers for different gift cards? Mom and Pop shops? How are you suppose to check the balance? Scan it?...Sure but how do you differentiate one from the next?

[quote name='Kayden']I couldn't service her [/QUOTE]

They have pills for that now... ;)

Seriously, what kind of parents leaves their baby in a vehicle like that? If it is really just a quick trip like she said, there shouldn't have been a problem taking the baby with her. Dumb ass parent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back