Employees of all stores--post your stupid customer stories--part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='svrasputin']Anyway, thanks for letting me get this aggression out. I feel much better...[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what this thread is for. Post as much as you want.

Not much today, except it really fucking sucked that the ASM and I had to stay doing category counts for the ps2. Took us over 3 hours just to get the used PS2 done and the store is still a mess.

Ugh.

Yes... that is everyone except for those that don't. :roll:

I've been to countless Walmarts over the years and I've only seen those self service checkouts at one about a year ago. It was the funkiest, nastiest, ghettoest Walmart I've ever gone to. All the suburban Walmarts I go to have real people and no self checkouts.

[quote name='DX']Why would the cashier be running your card? EVERY Wal MArt has the little kiosk on the checkouts for the customer to scan their own card.

If youre gonna make shit up at least use some facts.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kayden']Yes... that is everyone except for those that don't. :roll:

I've been to countless Walmarts over the years and I've only seen those self service checkouts at one about a year ago. It was the funkiest, nastiest, ghettoest Walmart I've ever gone to. All the suburban Walmarts I go to have real people and no self checkouts.[/QUOTE]

He's not talking about the self checkouts. He is talking about those little devices that customers run their debit and credit cards through instead of handing them to the cashier now.

[quote name='greendj27']He's not talking about the self checkouts. He is talking about those little devices that customers run their debit and credit cards through instead of handing them to the cashier now.[/QUOTE]

Yep. EVERY store has them so why was he even handing over his card to the cashier?

[quote name='svrasputin']OK...Only one more for tonight...

Several months ago a hurricane came through my town and ripped everything to shreds. Anyway, I was out of work and town for about two weeks because there was no power, water, cable, beer, etc. in my town. When I went back to work, it was totally ridiculous. Not because of having only 12 employees total to work, nor was it the fact that I had to work 7 days a week; it was the total lack of respect that came from the customers. We were only open from 10AM-6PM each day because of lack of employees and a curfew on my town. These people would come in at 5:45 PM and stand around and bitch when we told them that we closed at 6. They bitched because we didn't have enough employees to help them. They bitched when their FEMA or food stamp cards wouldn't work. I guess, in general, they were just bitches.

Common excuses for their bitchiness included sorrow (they just lost their house, possessions, etc.), lack of time (they just got off of work at 5 and were mad because we closed at 6), and just because we owed it to them to stay open and be happy and jolly even though most of the employees lost something in the hurricane also. This was just complete BS. I really saw the bad side of the people in my town. Did they not realize that we lived in the same town as them?
Granted, not everyone was like this, but the ones that acted bitchy really outshine all the customers who came in and got what they needed and then just left. Sorry for the rant, but I had just never seen anything like this before in my damn life. Pathetic...

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this aggression out. I feel much better...[/QUOTE]

I personally enjoyed the maze like approach target took after the hurricane. Did you guys continue to get shipments during that whole mess? I noticed Far Cry Instinct was in store on time.

My assistant manager was in the mood to mess with people that day. He took an empty display XBOX 360 box and stuffed it with paper. He threw the box into a large bag and placed it in front of the store. This one guy actually came in to tell us that there was a 360 out in front of the store. We told him that it belonged to someone from the Jamba Juice next door and he actually went over there to see if someone forgot their $400 system outside our store. Eventually, these two guys drove up in their car. One guy got out, ran over to grab the box, ran back to the car, and bolted out of the parking lot. They got out of there so fast that the security guard started going around to see if someone had been robbed. I would have liked to see the look on their faces when they opened the box :lol:

[quote name='vietgurl']My assistant manager was in the mood to mess with people that day. He took an empty display XBOX 360 box and stuffed it with paper. He threw the box into a large bag and placed it in front of the store. This one guy actually came in to tell us that there was a 360 out in front of the store. We told him that it belonged to someone from the Jamba Juice next door and he actually went over there to see if someone forgot their $400 system outside our store. Eventually, these two guys drove up in their car. One guy got out, ran over to grab the box, ran back to the car, and bolted out of the parking lot. They got out of there so fast that the security guard started going around to see if someone had been robbed. I would have liked to see the look on their faces when they opened the box :lol:[/quote]
And honest guy, quite nice.

Come on, paper? You gotta booby trap that stuff for some true hillarity :D

[quote name='vietgurl']My assistant manager was in the mood to mess with people that day. He took an empty display XBOX 360 box and stuffed it with paper. He threw the box into a large bag and placed it in front of the store. This one guy actually came in to tell us that there was a 360 out in front of the store. We told him that it belonged to someone from the Jamba Juice next door and he actually went over there to see if someone forgot their $400 system outside our store. Eventually, these two guys drove up in their car. One guy got out, ran over to grab the box, ran back to the car, and bolted out of the parking lot. They got out of there so fast that the security guard started going around to see if someone had been robbed. I would have liked to see the look on their faces when they opened the box :lol:[/quote]

Should have stuffed it with broken games that had been dropped in toilets and the like ;) . Now that's fun stuff. Either that or maybe weigh it down or glue/tape it to the ground so they have to sit there and struggle before they can get it (kind of like gluing a quarter on the floor).

[quote name='Warner1281']Should have stuffed it with broken games that had been dropped in toilets and the like ;) . Now that's fun stuff. Either that or maybe weigh it down or glue/tape it to the ground so they have to sit there and struggle before they can get it (kind of like gluing a quarter on the floor).[/QUOTE]

Points noted. We still have a lot of empty 360 boxes.

Ok, it's not the best ever, but I laughed at it, and I needed it today.

I was checking customers receipts as normal, when I look over at the mobilized carts for the disabled. I see some guy, around 20-25 get on one and play with the controls; it doesn't move. I think that it's kinda odd and glance over at the control thing to see that it wasn't even odd. He think sit's broken, so he jumps over to the next one and does the exact same thing as the first, just plays with the controls. Now, at this I had to laugh to myself and walk up to them and say "you have to turn it on" where I flip the switch on the side of the control pad. They just look embarassed and go as fast as they could away from me.

[quote name='vietgurl']My assistant manager was in the mood to mess with people that day. He took an empty display XBOX 360 box and stuffed it with paper. He threw the box into a large bag and placed it in front of the store. This one guy actually came in to tell us that there was a 360 out in front of the store. We told him that it belonged to someone from the Jamba Juice next door and he actually went over there to see if someone forgot their $400 system outside our store. Eventually, these two guys drove up in their car. One guy got out, ran over to grab the box, ran back to the car, and bolted out of the parking lot. They got out of there so fast that the security guard started going around to see if someone had been robbed. I would have liked to see the look on their faces when they opened the box :lol:[/QUOTE]

Now why didn't I think of that? \\:D/

[quote name='Demolition Man']Now why didn't I think of that? \\:D/[/QUOTE]

If you ever try that you should put some doo doo in there.

After working (and still am) at a video game store for the past 8 months, stupid people just become the usual. You accept the fact that a lot of the people that come in the store are just dumb. A lot of them don't know anything about games. Some you know probably never made it past 8th grade. Some of them smell and you have to use lysol on the store when they leave. For example on the dumb, somebody just came in yesterday, and after being in the store for a couple of minutes being SURROUNDED by games, he asks me where the used games are (we are a used video game store). I tell them they are all around him. A lot of stories are funny if you don't work at a video game store, but when you do, you become almost desynthesized to them.

[quote name='vietgurl']My assistant manager was in the mood to mess with people that day. He took an empty display XBOX 360 box and stuffed it with paper. He threw the box into a large bag and placed it in front of the store. This one guy actually came in to tell us that there was a 360 out in front of the store. We told him that it belonged to someone from the Jamba Juice next door and he actually went over there to see if someone forgot their $400 system outside our store. Eventually, these two guys drove up in their car. One guy got out, ran over to grab the box, ran back to the car, and bolted out of the parking lot. They got out of there so fast that the security guard started going around to see if someone had been robbed. I would have liked to see the look on their faces when they opened the box :lol:[/QUOTE]

:rofl:, you would have had to be an idiot to leave your 360 just laying around on the ground in the bag. I too wish I could have seen the faces of the poor bastards that stole the box.

[quote name='svrasputin']I work at Target and here's how 90% of my customer interactions go like this:

3) if we are out of stock of that item, they immediately ask when we will get some in (which, in all honesty, I normally don't know)

[/QUOTE]

Im sorry but did it occur to you that info like that is part of your job? Its one thing to not know because you dont work a specific dept or something but if you work electronics, know your shit. Even if you dont have the slightest clue, tell them its possible at anytime when you get trucks in and give them days to expect but not gurantee. Thats just looking for a reason to post in this thread.

[quote name='Stink_Pickle']Im sorry but did it occur to you that info like that is part of your job? Its one thing to not know because you dont work a specific dept or something but if you work electronics, know your shit. Even if you dont have the slightest clue, tell them its possible at anytime when you get trucks in and give them days to expect but not gurantee. Thats just looking for a reason to post in this thread.[/QUOTE]

We tried that at my work once- some lady needed orchids for a weddings, bought us out, and wanted to know when we'd have more. We told her we don't really know, but most products re-stock in 2-3 weeks. She came back on Truck Day every week, asking if the orchids were out yet. On the 3rd visit, she got pissed and demanded to see the manager, cuz "I was told they'd be in by now, the wedding's in a month, you've ruined everything,' etc.

The Moral: We don't give educated guesses becuase people take it as fact. If we don't know, we say so, so you don't come back and bitch us for 'lying' to you.

[quote name='2poor']If you ever try that you should put some doo doo in there.[/QUOTE]

Naw. I'll just leave a note saying "hahaha you just got pwned" along with some moth balls and smelly beer that stinks.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']We tried that at my work once- some lady needed orchids for a weddings, bought us out, and wanted to know when we'd have more. We told her we don't really know, but most products re-stock in 2-3 weeks. She came back on Truck Day every week, asking if the orchids were out yet. On the 3rd visit, she got pissed and demanded to see the manager, cuz "I was told they'd be in by now, the wedding's in a month, you've ruined everything,' etc.

The Moral: We don't give educated guesses becuase people take it as fact. If we don't know, we say so, so you don't come back and bitch us for 'lying' to you.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. No one ever hears 'I think' or 'it may'...they just hear a day.

I was getting kinda annoyed with this one kid today. He kept trying to sell us candy bars for $3 for school or something. I told him that if he reserved a game I'd buy a candy bar. I figured it was win-win for me. I get a candy bar and a reserve. He loses $2.

:D

We pulled the XBOX 360 stunt again. This time, we emptied our trash bags (the one behind the counter and the one in the bathroom) into the box. We also threw a bunch of PSP bronchures we were supposed to throw away ages ago to give it some weight. I put in a couple of the empty display cases that we used to use (before GS came around) to advertise upcoming games and sealed them up with the shrinkwrap machine in the back. I remembered to put random flyers and stuff inside the game cases to give it the approximate weight of a complete game, hehe. We definately went all out today, hehe.

We did the same thing as before and placed everything in a large bag before placing it ouside the store. It took awhile since most people merely glanced at it but after one of our customers had bought his game and stepped outside, he saw the bag. He looked inside the bag, grabbed it, and took off running. He looked like he was running for his life, haha. Just thinking about it still cracks me up :rofl:

Thanks for taking out our trash \\:D/

[quote name='vietgurl']We pulled the XBOX 360 stunt again. This time, we emptied our trash bags (the one behind the counter and the one in the bathroom) into the box. We also threw a bunch of PSP bronchures we were supposed to throw away ages ago to give it some weight. I put in a couple of the empty display cases that we used to use (before GS came around) to advertise upcoming games and sealed them up with the shrinkwrap machine in the back. I remembered to put random flyers and stuff inside the game cases to give it the approximate weight of a complete game, hehe. We definately went all out today, hehe.

We did the same thing as before and placed everything in a large bag before placing it ouside the store. It took awhile since most people merely glanced at it but after one of our customers had bought his game and stepped outside, he saw the bag. He looked inside the bag, grabbed it, and took off running. He looked like he was running for his life, haha. Just thinking about it still cracks me up :rofl:

Thanks for taking out our trash \\:D/[/QUOTE]

Any footage?

[quote name='vietgurl']We pulled the XBOX 360 stunt again. This time, we emptied our trash bags (the one behind the counter and the one in the bathroom) into the box. We also threw a bunch of PSP bronchures we were supposed to throw away ages ago to give it some weight. I put in a couple of the empty display cases that we used to use (before GS came around) to advertise upcoming games and sealed them up with the shrinkwrap machine in the back. I remembered to put random flyers and stuff inside the game cases to give it the approximate weight of a complete game, hehe. We definately went all out today, hehe.

That is hilarious, you should seriously record that if you do it again. lol

You need to setup a hidden camera and get the people's faces, so the next time you see them in the store you can ask them how the 360 they picked up is workin for them.

I guess when I did that at wal-mart I use to work at they actually listened to me or I stressed that its possible that something OOS may or may not come in. Its a crap shoot.

I use to do that at my store. You wouldn't beleive how many people would steal display boxes thinking the actual system is inside.

Priceless! You have to do this again and record it. it will be the next big Internet hit!

Yeah, I would love to see video or at least pictures of one of these fake 360 heists. Those poor saps... I hope they're realizing once they get home that they were set up, and I hope they feel like fools for stealing boxes of garbage.

[quote name='Stink_Pickle'] Even if you dont have the slightest clue, tell them its possible at anytime when you get trucks in and give them days to expect but not gurantee. [/QUOTE]

You are a fool if you think that this works. People hear a time frame and that is somehow a "promise." Trust me, I work with IRS tax refund time frames and have to deal with clients that don't get their refunds in the normal amount of time.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']You are a fool if you think that this works. People hear a time frame and that is somehow a "promise." Trust me, I work with IRS tax refund time frames and have to deal with clients that don't get their refunds in the normal amount of time.[/QUOTE]

I guess Im a fool then cause I worked for wal-mart for over 5 years and thats they way I always handled it and I NEVER once had a prob doing it that way. Thanks for the insult vs. saying not all customers or asshats or clownshoes in every corner of the world.

Another story I noticed at the local post office while in line yesterday.

A woman asks the clerk if they have wedding stamps. The clerk shows her the design they have. She says to him, "These are $0.39 stamps, I need the $0.67 onces." He tells her those are the only wedding stamps they have. Her answer was, "But I called (post office location) and (other post office location) and they both had them." (she called 2 other post offices but went to this one which she did not call). Then she goes on to say she heard something about a bundle where the $0.39 and $0.67 are bundled together and the other post offices have them. The clerk then said, I have no idea what you are talking about but this is all we have.

The woman then says again, are you sure these are the only ones you have? The clerk is getting kind of annoyed (rightfully so I think) and says to her, "If the other post offices have them then why not just go there?" She doesn't have a answer and then takes the $0.39 stamps anyway. She adds in the comment, "well, nothings easy."

its been what...3 years since I have worked in retail? now i work in the educational field...no stupid customers but there are times where kids try to pull off stupid things and I tell them "What ever your trying to do, don't cause either I know about it or I did it when I went to this school long ago" that usually shuts them up.

The only thing I could think of is a few months back while waiting for my number to be called at the post office, this one dude is all pissed and yelling at the clerk. The one black guy sitting on the bench behind him is listening as so is the rest of the peeps including myself. The bench guy tells the yelling red neck that its a federal offense to harrass a us post office employee. the redneck replies, "oh yea is that right?, who the hell are you" the black guy stands up and pulls out his badge and says "Federal Marshal buddy"... the redneck quickly shuts up, finishes his business then makes some excuse to the marshal that his parents were in the secret service as he quickly makes his exit. man that guy got what he deserves.

[quote name='ITDEFX']its been what...3 years since I have worked in retail? now i work in the educational field...no stupid customers but there are times where kids try to pull off stupid things and I tell them "What ever your trying to do, don't cause either I know about it or I did it when I went to this school long ago" that usually shuts them up.

The only thing I could think of is a few months back while waiting for my number to be called at the post office, this one dude is all pissed and yelling at the clerk. The one black guy sitting on the bench behind him is listening as so is the rest of the peeps including myself. The bench guy tells the yelling red neck that its a federal offense to harrass a us post office employee. the redneck replies, "oh yea is that right?, who the hell are you" the black guy stands up and pulls out his badge and says "Federal Marshal buddy"... the redneck quickly shuts up, finishes his business then makes some excuse to the marshal that his parents were in the secret service as he quickly makes his exit. man that guy got what he deserves.[/QUOTE]

Haha, nice. My mom worked at the post office for over 20 years and she tried to avoid getting any position that required customer service because people don't tend to treat them very well.

What was the redneck pissed about?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Completely agree. No one ever hears 'I think' or 'it may'...they just hear a day.[/QUOTE]

I also agree. At TRU when something is out in the R-Zone, people usually ask when exactly we are expecting more. I always nicely tell them that none of the refills in our section are dated, and they come in as they come in. Most people understand this, and if it is a game that is pretty easy to get, I always mention going online to a place like amazon.com to get it. Or I just tell them (if it's a new release), to call back early in the next couple weeks to check if we get it. The people that don't understand it always bring up other game places and say stuff like "Oh EB said they would get more in by..." , or that they don't want to wait for the item to be shipped to their house (by ordering online). I was under the assumption that all video game retailers were on a replenishment system. Nothing is really ever dated, you get stuff in when you get stuff in, minus new releases.

With the 360 now it is even worse. When I mention that we haven't got them for about 2 weeks, they ask me when I'll get them in again. I tell them we don't know exactly when to just check back. Most people always give me this long weird stare like I know when they are coming in and I'm holding one for myself. It's quite lame.

One lady recently started yelling at me because she said NBA 06' was for Gamecube as well. I let her know it was only for PS2 and it was Sony Entertainment product. She wasn't having it and spend the next 5-10 minutes telling me that she saw it for Gamecube and how I had no idea what I was talking about. I asked her if it was NBA Live she wanted to get and she no she saw NBA 06', then she nicely tossed a nearby empty gamecase at me :)

[quote name='asianxcore']I also agree. At TRU when something is out in the R-Zone, people usually ask when exactly we are expecting more. I always nicely tell them that none of the refills in our section are dated, and they come in as they come in. Most people understand this, and if it is a game that is pretty easy to get, I always mention going online to a place like amazon.com to get it. Or I just tell them (if it's a new release), to call back early in the next couple weeks to check if we get it. The people that don't understand it always bring up other game places and say stuff like "Oh EB said they would get more in by..." , or that they don't want to wait for the item to be shipped to their house (by ordering online). I was under the assumption that all video game retailers were on a replenishment system. Nothing is really ever dated, you get stuff in when you get stuff in, minus new releases.[/QUOTE]

There are a great many people who seem to make 2 very stupid assumptions when shopping...

1) That we have a secret computer database that says everything the store ever gets in stock, with dates, times, and the name of the delivery driver's kids, all right there.

2) That the cashier cares if they actually make a purchase.

So the "But EB gets more on..." line is a stupid attempt to goat you into checking the non-existent super-database by 'tempting' you with a possible sale. :roll:

I had a lady attempting to play this card awhile ago- she wants to use 2 coupons at the same time. problem #1, our computer is programmed NOT to take a 2nd coupon on one order, and problem #2, we're just not supposed to, it says on on the coupon. So I say "I'm sorry, but we can only take one coupon per person, per day."

She replies "Well fine, I'll just go use it at JoAnn's."

I say nothing, finish her order, and she starts writing out her check... and after a minute she looks at me and says "I thought you guys would want to prevent a JoAnn's sale."

I still said nothing, but it was so tempting to say "Ma'am, why the HELL would I care enough to put up with you and your goddamn checks for a 2nd transaction, so you can break the rules written on the coupon, which I've specifically been told not to break? Quit wasting my damn time, pay, and go to JoAnn's or wherever the hell you want. I couldn't care less."

[quote name='DuelLadyS']"

I still said nothing, but it was so tempting to say "Ma'am, why the HELL would I care enough to put up with you and your goddamn checks for a 2nd transaction, so you can break the rules written on the coupon, which I've specifically been told not to break? Quit wasting my damn time, pay, and go to JoAnn's or wherever the hell you want. I couldn't care less."[/QUOTE]

And if you said that a slow clap would start.

I like it when customers lean over the counter as if to tell me a secret and then say "Knock 10% off that, would ya?" Now, unless you're extremely hot, don't try that trick with me; you still won't get the discount but I'd enjoy the flirt :lol: Then there are those customers who think that I own all of the games in the store and I can give them a 75% discount. I don't get why they become angry if I say no...

Give me a reason why I would put my job on the line to give you 5 times the discount that I get for being an employee?

[quote name='vietgurl']Give me a reason why I would put my job on the line to give you 5 times the discount that I get for being an employee?[/QUOTE]

A good romp in the sack?

That would make me give 5 times the discount for sure!

[quote name='vietgurl']Give me a reason why I would put my job on the line to give you 5 times the discount that I get for being an employee?[/QUOTE]

Or sell a DVD release before it can be sold for that matter.

[quote name='vietgurl']Haha, nice. My mom worked at the post office for over 20 years and she tried to avoid getting any position that required customer service because people don't tend to treat them very well.

What was the redneck pissed about?[/QUOTE]

honestly don't know I got there mid/late way into the arguement. much you can look at while wearing sunglasses and no one can see your eyes :p I would have actually cheered/clap if the guy actually got arrested in the post office. You know something is up when there are security cameras all over the post office like in a bank :O

[quote name='gizmogc']A good romp in the sack?

That would make me give 5 times the discount for sure![/QUOTE]

I can imagine that:

Manager: "WHY THE HELL DID YOU GIVE THIS PERSON 75% OFF THEIR PURCHASE!?!?!"
Employee: "She said that if I did she would have sex with me."
Manager: "ARE YOU SERIOUS!??"
Employee: "Yes I am. Here, this is her, and this other picture is us having sex."
Manager: "Oh... I see. You think she'd go for me if I gave her 90% off?"
Employee: "I have her number right here."

[quote name='DuelLadyS']
I say nothing, finish her order, and she starts writing out her check... and after a minute she looks at me and says "I thought you guys would want to prevent a JoAnn's sale."[/quote]

Women who pay by writing out a check should be beaten with a shovel. I say women, and not people, cos its only women who pay with a check...

[quote name='Puffa469']Women who pay by writing out a check should be beaten with a shovel. I say women, and not people, cos its only women who pay with a check...[/QUOTE]

Well, that's not entirely true, it's more like a 98% thing at my my store... but I defintely agree with the shovel part. There is NO reason to write checks at stores these days!

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Well, that's not entirely true, it's more like a 98% thing at my my store... but I defintely agree with the shovel part. There is NO reason to write checks at stores these days![/quote]

Who cares? Is it really that huge of a deal? And maybe if you store didnt have such a shitty check policy maybe it would be better?

Very Rarely are game stores that busy.

not an employee at a gamestore, but I had a funny experience the saturday before last.

I went with my nephew to get him some GBA games at the EBX at old orchard in skokie, IL, which is a tiny tiny store. it was like 11AM and the check out counter was fairly crowded. the weird thing was, the store positively wreaked of hard liquor! maybe vodka. I looked around and tried to figure it out, but didn't see anyone who looked or acted drunk though.

[quote name='Apossum']not an employee at a gamestore, but I had a funny experience the saturday before last.

I went with my nephew to get him some GBA games at the EBX at old orchard in skokie, IL, which is a tiny tiny store. it was like 11AM and the check out counter was fairly crowded. the weird thing was, the store positively wreaked of hard liquor! maybe vodka. I looked around and tried to figure it out, but didn't see anyone who looked or acted drunk though.[/QUOTE]

Was it your nephew? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back